Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hello BFC!

I'm about to do something I know is not entirely smart and spend some of my RRSP investments (us note: it's similar to a 401k but you can direct your investments however you wish) in single stocks. About half of my yearly contribution actually.

I've done this before with AAPL because a) it's essentially a good company with a good long term business plan b) I actually understand the industry enough to follow the news and gage for myself how stupid/smart decisions are and c) it was relatively cheap when I bought it. That worked out well. (sold at a tidy return)

This time AAPL is gently caress-expensive and I don't know what to think of it so I'd rather not touch it. Instead I have my sights set on the following companies, for the same a-b-c reasons as before:

ATVI and ERTS. Both are conveniently suffering stock price hick-ups and both are essentially good companies with good, hard to gently caress-up portfolios.

Is there any outstandingly obvious reason I should not be doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

DuckConference posted:

So you'd be putting half you retirement savings into a few single stocks? I mean, if your goal is to speculate, that's fine, but combining speculation and long-term retirement savings can easily end in tears.

half of this year's contirbution to my savings, not half of my accumulated savings

most of my savings sit in high interest GICs which i was lucky enough to buy before the government rate dropped through the floor

the current piss-poor rates are actually what are making me get into riskier poo poo

edit: i'm also pretty young (<30) so i'm not exactly in a rush to have my retirement fund just right - i can afford short term risk up the whazoo

Mrs. Wynand fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2010