Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Limit Up posted:

HURST is another example of trading cycles. He's a rocket scientist who was hired to crack the market. Great read but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to apply it to daytrading. (works good for swing trading though). I eventually developed me own.

"Profit Magic of Stock Transaction Timing" was definitely one of the most informative trading books I've read, I highly recommend it as well. I developed my system using moving averages and Bollinger Bands in a manner similar to his envelopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

Any opinion on Marc Fabers comments that the bail out of greece will create a snowball effect in Europe and their currency/debt that will soon spill over to the US?

The effects of this could literally occur next week on the Euro...

Dr. Doom :lol: If Germany backstops Greece which is seeming pretty likely I see the Euro bouncing next week on another short squeeze but then sliding to 1.36 as specs focus on the moral hazard aspect and the impact this has on the recovery for the more stable EU countries. All of this seems dollar positive to me though, but I guess if the dollar gets too strong there's a danger the carry trades might unwind further? I don't see how the contagion would spread to the US though.

@Limit Up, I'm watching GBP/USD too tonight but I don't see it going too far past 1.5659 which is Monday's high and a 23% retracement of the leg down from Feb 3rd. Might touch 1.57 again but I think the upside looks weak considering the EU situation and the BoE outlook yesterday. I'm hoping to capture a slide back to Monday's low around 1.5535 after this bounce from 1.56, and if it takes that out I have a downside target of 1.54 by the end of the week.

edit: I trade off the H1/M15 chart though so I'm going after the bigger moves

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

I want to hedge some of my long EM/commodities exposure. Let's say the China bubble pops for whatever reason, oil slips and there's a negative demand shock through the resource sector. What would start outperforming?

I'm considering international/US/Canadian bonds because they might benefit from the prospect of a sustained low interest rate environment, but I don't know much about fixed income investing.

I'm considering gold because it could benefit from it's perceived safety and stability, but less inflation risk and a stronger US dollar might drive it down too.

I'm also considering US mid/large caps because they could benefit from a flight to quality assuming the US recovery is entrenched, but then a strong US dollar and weak global markets could hurt them even more.

Any flaws/ideas? Right now I'm thinking gold might be the safest bet.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Jesus what a day, hopefully Germany approves the Greek financing and there's an upside surprise in US NFP tomorrow to get us back to happy times. Just bought big positions at the dips in XEG.TO and XMA.TO, global growth don't fail me now!

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Bigntasty posted:

Anyone else see google as a bargain, the market hates them right now but they are going to keep going at a good pace for a while and with 25 billion in cash taken off their CY p/e is like 14. I/o conference was impressive but none of that will affect earnings for a year or two. Seems like a safe play to me.

They're pretty strong fundamentally but a lot of anti-trust concerns are popping up for them. I'm eyeing a buy around $450 in the near term.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Bigntasty posted:

Also since you all have such great insight. Can you give me a good reason not to invest in RIG cause in all likelihood (90%) they will not be liable at all and its selling for half price. Obviously it is risky but it seems to be a good investment. And yes I call it an investment cause I don't plan on selling it until its appropriately valued, and its yielding 7% this year

Where are you getting 90% from? I see them as a better buy the BP but even if they avoid criminal liability they might face civil claims. It seems likely BP could go after them as well.

What I really don't understand is why BP gaining afterhours on news of cutting dividends and giving up $20B? :psyduck:

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

If Tesla is set to sell at $12/share what kind of premium would I likely be facing if I don't get in on the IPO itself?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Hey he could be the next Timothy Sykes! Good luck JiUC, I would try a mean reversion strategy if I had the $1000 to gamble on pennys.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

xzoto1 posted:

Fore you Forex people, how long did it take you to learn the ins and outs before being comfortable using real money? I am using babypips.com and while I am only half way through their "school", I have been overwhelmed with a lot of what I have learned already. I imagine I will be reading through it numerous times since I have already forgot a lot of it.

Also, have any of you tried any of the programs that do automated trades for you? I don't think I would ever trust one of them, but I was wondering if anyone actually got any success out of them?

It took me like 8 months and I probably should have waited longer because I picked a hell of a time to go live. Even treating a demo account seriously, I found playing with real money makes it harder to let your winners run. And those forex robots are almost entirely scams, but I have developed some automated systems and they are an excellent way to backtest your strategies.

What do you guys think of RIM as a short play? I'm thinking of selling if it fails around $55-$60 because the Torch was a disappointment and the Playbook looks like a big misstep. They do have a bit of an Apple style cult following thanks to BBM, but the sovereign security issues around it might hurt the global sales outlook. Is there a compelling story on the upside?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

ayekappy posted:

edit: Oh yeah, hope you guys don't have BAC long.

I don't see this getting above 80, on the weekly it looks like it has room to run lower after a minor retrace + any amount of QE2 is eventually going to send the dollar down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Gamesguy posted:

Fact is, any trading strategy based around POMO underperforms the S&P.

Well, NYFED just dropped the operating schedule for their little rejuvenation plan. $35B/week starting this weekend and running through December..all aboard? You guys think this will sustain an EM/commodities/broader market rally at least into Christmas?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

jstirrell posted:

That being said, what's a good play with NOK? Its going long now at the 15% discount a good way to bet on my above beliefs or is this dumb/too risky for reasons I'm missing.

The major risk in the short term is their profits going to poo poo for the next few quarters since future support for Maemo/Symbian will be questionable even if they say otherwise. Having said that, I've been long NOK since September and I'm considering picking up some more now. The streamlining of the company might help them navigate the transition and I do feel like long-term this is a great move for both of them. Microsoft will finally have considerable distribution for Windows Mobile and Nokia finally gets a widely recognizable platform for their handsets.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Pulled the trigger on CCO.TO yesterday around $30, gaps always get filled am i rite???

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Holding on to my CCO.TO @ $30 although I really expected Japan to get a handle on that whole situation faster. Still see it going back to $40 in 3-4 months.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

cremnob posted:

I'm trying to get into either MCD or KO for the long-term, except I have no idea about security analysis. What's the better buy?

Security analysis is easy. McDonalds sells Coca-Cola. Does Coca-Cola sell Big Macs? I think the choice is clear.

edit: oh yeah, what are some good resources for learning to read a time and sales chart?

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Is the impending triple top secular bull market and everybody and their mother piling into equities necessarily a sign of inflation? Will the Fed recognize a need to ease up on the gas sooner rather than later, or is Bernanke going to keep us rock n rollin through his retirement?