Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Does anyone know of a fund that focuses on solid domestic companies that pay dividends (JNJ, GE, etc.), and that doesn't have insane load/fees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

dv6speed posted:

They are out there... never looked into them myself.

If you already know exactly what type of companies you want, why not just buy the stocks yourself, save on loads/fees and collect the nice dividends as cash in your account?

Lower investment threshold for more diversification, same reason anyone buys funds. Also just doing a bit of anti-volatility planning/thinking.

Edit: Actually Vanguard has two ETFs that fit my initial bill, garners further research. VYM and VIG.

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 8, 2010

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

80k posted:

VDIGX (managed by Wellington and with a low expense ratio) is close to what you are looking for.

For a passive option, VIG as you mentioned is a close proxy. Careful with VYM (high dividends do not mean stability).

Bridgeway Blue Chip 35 (BRLIX) is another option. Also low expense ratio.

Thanks as always 80k, I'll look into those.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
ThinkorSwim is fantastic, if I was a bigger fish I'd use them absolutely.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
I remember hearing that Buffet has a warehouse where he holds physical silver as part of his portfolio.

For those of us not quite at his level, I find it kind of absurd. Hell of a lot of extra work to trade in physical goods than futures. That poo poo is heavy!

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
Made a long-term play on STD before open this morning. :smug: Nice to have some immediate validation so I can get on with the "forget it" part of set it and forget it.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

ayekappy posted:

Hey guys, if we start hyperinflating, instead of raising insterest rates and all that poo poo, why don't we let the banks start foreclosing on some houses?

Banks are actually refusing to foreclose in a lot of situations. :psyduck: So hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo
The hidden factor there is that Netflix has always been and is at it's core a streaming company, they simply invented the mail division because streaming wasn't feasible when the company was born. Streaming has been their core strategy since day one--the name is Netflix, not Mailflix. They already have their own set top box, they're in Xbox, Wii, and I believe soon PS3 (people still have those?) and have struck deals with TV manufacturers to be included by default in the firmware of TV sets.

Their books were terrible a few years ago too before their mailing division really took off via word of mouth and their heavy affiliate marketing push, and I wouldn't count them out of the next phase quite so easily. They are fighting content publishers, but so is everyone and so far they're the only ones who have made any sort of progress, even if so far it's been with small studios.

Their biggest problem is the conglomerate beast of Hulu, but the jury will be out a while on that one. None of the media geeks I know can stand Hulu but that's not really who matters. If Hulu can succeed they'll be a long-term threat to Netflix as they're big content owned, but Netflix has a head start in both brand perception and "last mile"* implementation.

What's all this mean for the long term viability of the stock? I have no idea. The first innovators rarely take the lion's share of the spoils.

*Last mile in this case being internet->tv devices