Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib

PsychoAndy posted:

to add to this, i don't trade fx, but it seems like simple TA stuff can be applied, like support/resistance. Currently google finance shows EURUSD at 1.3866. So if you look at the last time EURUSD was this low, back in June/July 09, if it were to go lower you would see support at 1.3851, and then 1.3787. If EURUSD breaks 1.37, next stop would probably be 1.3671 to 1.3474, as shown in May. Obviously if you're trading a lot with a notional value of $100k, the pips add up.

To jazz it up a bit, you should also look at volume, moving averages, trendlines, and apply fib levels to the support/resistance and whatnot.

Or you could just use fundamental analysis and ask yourself whether you think Greece is going to get a.)bailed out, b.)default, c.) cut their spending, or d.) lie about their books again. If you think A or B have a high likelihood of happening, sell EURUSD...which is what's been happening since people are worried about Greece, not to mention other high debt/gdp euro countries such as Portugal, Italy, Ireland, and Spain.

I'm also looking at GBPUSD, as it's currently trading at 1.5992 and seems to be at an inflection point in that (to me) it seems like GBPUSD is either going to drop to 1.58 (support) or trade back up to 1.65 (resistance). Gun-to-head, I think it's going to 1.58, just due to the end of QE as well as Bill Gross speculating that UK Gilts are resting "on a bed of nitroglycerin".

edit:but like i said, i don't trade fx, so don't go to a bucket shop or something and start a 200:1 leveraged fx account

Just wanted to say excellent post. :cheers:

Also wanted to contribute.
They're really cutting back on that leverage. New CFTC proposal is 10:1. It's unreal. Gonna put the bucketshops out of business if they do that.

What started the USD rally was when the US ended their liquidity swaps back in October.

Also, the carry trade is blowing up big time.

They're short dollars and long the high interest EUR. What's surprising is that equities haven't declined more.

Either the big money thinks that US equity is now the "safe bet" or (my guess) is that we're in for a very big tumble.

Option 3 is that i'm just completely incorrect and there's another driving force behind this (which is what happens the majority of the time :P )

Mokhu fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Now we're watching the EUR/USD here. Critical point. VERY tight stop and great R:R anything over 1.3690 is a buy. Stop @ 1.3675. Bullish 1 and 5 min. Going to push the hourly higher as well and show strength into the 8 CT close. COULD be a major bottom (Huge ATM)