Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Janin posted:

You can buy it for a Kindle, though Amazon doesn't seem to offer it in a usable format like PDF :(

If you buy the 6th Edition, it comes with a CD. I believe the CD assists you in downloading pdf's from the McGraw Hill website for the entire original 2nd edition of the book. But I have not tried it, as I would rather read it in actual book form. I do have the book so maybe I'll try the CD someday for kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

mcsuede posted:

Does anyone know of a fund that focuses on solid domestic companies that pay dividends (JNJ, GE, etc.), and that doesn't have insane load/fees?

VDIGX (managed by Wellington and with a low expense ratio) is close to what you are looking for.

For a passive option, VIG as you mentioned is a close proxy. Careful with VYM (high dividends do not mean stability).

Bridgeway Blue Chip 35 (BRLIX) is another option. Also low expense ratio.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

loud-bob posted:

Question about evaluating performance and mathematics.

I am working on a spreadsheet to model investment growth and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to model an investments performance over time when growth is coming from growth of positions AND adding money to the fund over time.

e.g. I start with a $10 investment and add 10% each year. At the end of 20 years with 8% growth, how do I evaluate it's performance when the value of the investment has been increased by growth and my own additions?

XIRR function in Excel can handle this.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah AT&T is on my radar, pretty good price and good yield.

But my question still stands for an expense cost on CEFs.

If I have $100 worth of whatever, and the expense is 3%, but yield is 6% does that simply make the effective yield 3% assuming after a year the price of the CEF hasnt changed? If it goes up you obviously would make money on the increased price of the CEF when you sold. But for long holds to collect the dividends how much does that expense actually interact with the investor?

The ER is subtracted from the yield of the underlying securities. However, the published yield of the CEF is likely already net of expenses. So 6% is what the CEF is yielding and the 3% ER is for information purposes (i.e. the fund actually got 9% yield due to leveraging and subtracted 3% which includes management fees and interest expenses).

The Morningstar quote you provided is correct. The standard procedure of requiring interest expense as part of the ER means you need to dig deeper to find out what the real expense ratio is. If the Morningstar poster's numbers are accurate, then 1.27% is the more accurate number to use when evaluating the ER of this CEF.

I do take exception to a technicality in the Morninstar quote: "Because the fund has been reaping a gain from this leverage, one could argue that the benefits outweigh the costs. Strip out the expenses related to the beneficial leverage..." It has nothing to do with benefits and has nothing to do with whether the leverage has improved returns or hindered it. Understanding that the interest expense is related to leverage is one matter, and is all that is important in understanding how the ER breaks down. Whether you want the increased risk of leverage and/or trust the manager's decisions is another matter.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Also, look closely at the CEF's policies. The yield needs to be evaluated based on the fund's use of leverage as well as any managed distribution policies it may have. For instance, FT may have a policy of maintaining a stable monthly dividend even when it exceeds the net investment income. They make up for it with a return of capital to prop of the yield. This is not at all uncommon with CEFs. If you don't know how to evaluate a CEF's policies and history closely, then avoid them altogether.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MrBigglesworth posted:

From what I can tell, FT hasnt done any ROC according to CEFConnect.com

"Income, Long Gain, Short Gain and ROC breakdowns will only be shown for the past year."

Do your due diligence. That's all i'm saying.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

MotoMind posted:

How do people feel about prospects on VIPSX Inflation Protected Securities-based ETF ? Realistically my timeframe of concern is at least 5 to 10 years, but my present preoccupation is to not enter the fund when it is reflecting an overvaluation on bond prices.

It has had a remarkable 10% run-up in price year to date, continuing to gain despite murmurings about potential deflation. Now everybody says that it is a fool's errand to try to time the bond market, but at the same time I have a hard time believing that TIPS bonds could really be worth over 10% more than they were 10 months ago. Perhaps I don't understand how the net asset value is being calculated on this fund, or perhaps I don't understand the underlying inflation projections that support a massive rise in the market value of TIPS bonds.

TIPS returned 11%-ish in 2009 as well. They went from undervalued end of '08 (yielding close to 3% REAL) to overvalued today (neg real yield on 5-yr TIPS, less than .5% on 10-yr... again REAL not nominal). Runup happened for the same reason nominal bonds rallied: declining yields. Time to buy was end of 2008 in the midst of the liquidity crisis. Time to sell is now. FWIW, end of 2008, my entire portfolio was nearly 60% TIPS (an outrageous amount for someone my age during normal financial conditions). It is less than 5% now.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

Of 9 mutual funds that I like:
6 of them TDA charges a $49.99 fee for
1 of them TDA doesn't offer at all
2 of them have no fees if held for 180+ days, otherwise $49.99 fee

So we are supposed to guess what your 9 mutual funds are and pick the best broker for your needs?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

No, not at all. I didn't realize that specifying what mutual funds I like would be helpful, sorry for not mentioning that.

BRUFX (Flexible Portfolio)
YACKX (Large-Cap Core)
HSCSX (US Small Cap Value)
DFEPX (Emerging Markets Value - newly-created investor-class version of DFEVX, which is for millionaires and institutions only)
OAKEX (International Small Cap Value)

TGLMX (US Mortgage Fund)
TGCFX (Intermediate Investment Grade Debt Fund)
PRFIX (Corporate Debt Funds A Rated)
VFIIX (GNMA Fund)
PGVZX (General US Government Fund)
TGEIX (Emerging Market Debt Fund)

I am pretty sure DFEPX is available only through advisors and some employer plans.

Check Wellstrade if you qualify for free trades (need $25k or so?). They have a decent mutual fund lineup.

If you are dead set on those funds, it will be impossible to find one broker to meet your needs and get transaction-free trades unless you qualify for premium services. (Flagship at Vanguard provides you with fabulous choices, at free or highly discounted rates, but you need $1M in assets to qualify). And so, the best course of action is to NOT be deadset on those funds and find alternative funds or ETF's to meet your needs. Ideally you avoid mutual funds entirely and just use ETF's in which case you can easily find a broker with free or cheap ETF trades and forget all about mutual fund availability and high transaction costs.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

It's not that I think mutual funds are awesome to the max and ETFs are for bozos or anything, it's just that the mutual funds that I have selected outperform their ETF equivalents, to the best of my knowledge (if I'm wrong, then I would appreciate being corrected).

For instance, the best equivalent I can find for DFEVX (Emerging Markets Value) is Vanguard's VWO ETF (Emerging Markets). And DFEVX consistently outperforms VWO, even when you take into consideration VWO's lower expenses. If DFEVX had an ETF equivalent that matched its performance, then I would jump on it.

The entire investment world is looking for ETF equivalents of DFA funds since DFA funds are unavailable to most people (unless through an advisor or some employer or 529 plans).

It is ok. You can live without DFA. Just use VWO and get access to the value premium with other asset classes (like broad international value or us small value which have many available vehicles). A portfolio can be designed many different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

alnilam posted:

I got this email from etrade; I think I understand it but I'm not sure.

What I don't understand is what "Actual Cost" means. Does that mean the latest cost paid, or something?
Does average cost make taxes simpler?
Why would I not switch to average cost?

"Actual Cost Basis" is an incomplete designation as it needs to be accompanied by a method for specification of shares (FIFO, Spec ID, LIFO) etc. It basically means that the cost basis is the ACTUAL COST BASIS of the actual share you sold. This means you need to decide if you are doing FIFO, LIFO, Highest-Cost, or Specific ID of which lot you are selling from, after which the actual cost basis becomes clear.

Spec ID is by far the best for tax optimization since you can choose highest-cost basis while choosing between long term and short term capital gains.

80k fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 3, 2012