Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Remember that you don't have to sell it all, you can just trim some exposure. Or maybe buy protective puts though they're likely to be really expensive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arkane posted:

Sold 10 31 puts for 60 cents for expiry mid-July. Hopefully they get called away; would be a nice 2 month return.

What did you do with your KORS, if you don't mind me asking? I don't like the company but might do a little bottom fishing here if it keeps declining.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

I have a really dumb question. How do gaps work? I read the explanation on Investopedia but I think I'm misunderstanding something. For example, if I have a stock the closes the day at 1.50, and then the next day it opens at 1.80, how does the bid / ask queue get jumped that high? Is it all just after hours trading? Can a stock gap up or down even if there's no after hours trading going on?

Sure. Imagine that a stock, ticker ABC, closes on a Friday afternoon at $40. On Saturday night their main factory burns down and it's estimated production will be disrupted for six months.

When the stock opens on Monday, there aren't going to be any bids anywhere near 40, unless someone was dumb enough to leave a good until canceled order up. So what you'll see is a gap down and a first trade at, say, $18.

The "gap" will correspond to a discontinuous evaporation of buyers or sellers at previous market prices.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

ayekappy posted:

Oh what a surprise, AAPL doing bad with China in a recession and them releasing that retarded watch.

Don't confuse the share price for how a company is actually doing in the real world. Revenues and profits are up yoy, substantially. Today's fall is because analysts overshot in thinking just how well the company would grow revenues next quarter.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

They didn't release sales figures from the Apple Watch, which probably means that it isn't doing too hot.

It might or might not be doing well, but they said long before its release that they weren't going to provide sales numbers regardless of how it did. It sort of makes sense to lump it in to the "hobby" category with AppleTV and iPods. Maybe it'll be big business eventually, but not yet. It probably won't move the needle too much either way.

(Long here, obvs)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
If there's ever a push in DC for an overseas repatriation tax holiday, back up the truck on AAPL. There were some whispers about it earlier in the year to fund a highway bill but they keep going for short-term patch jobs instead.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What's the difference between value investing and trading?

I think he's getting at the difference between technical analysis versus value investing.

But, even if not, to be a value investor necessarily requires much more patience than active trading. Market perceptions of undervalued companies or industry groups change on a slow scale. This can be frustrating for swing traders.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Alkaiser posted:

For those of you who have done pretty well doing their own picks, do you find it hard to think of one day going back to index investing and going back to hoping for 7-8% a year? I'm ahead about 50% this year and it seems kind of crazy in comparision.

Well, the question I have to ask is how long have you been doing this? Does it stretch back to the last bear market?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Alkaiser posted:

About half a year, and I can appreciate the argument about a real bear market, it seems to me that should my positions take a huge drop, it's whether I'm willing to have stop losses at appropriate places and or the willpower to cut my losses. It's not like with index investing I couldn't necessarily see a 20% drop in one day with a crash.

I guess all I'm saying is that everyone looks like a genius in a bull market, and this is one of the longest ones without a major correction in a generation.

(And it's not the stop losses that get you. It's your getting stopped out at [some reasonable loss percentage], then coming back into the market too early and getting those stops hit again.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

I think modern western markets are too efficient for value investing to outperform. You could probably still do it in the more inefficient emerging markets(like China), but even Ben Graham said he doesn't think value investing works any more.

Benjamin Graham has been dead for forty years!

I sort of agree with you though. Back in his time, and early on in Buffet's, they could find dollar bills trading at eighty cents; because of leveraged buyouts and generally better market information this sort of thing doesn't really exist anymore (with rare exceptions; there were some companies whose market cap was lower than their net cash position after the 2000 internet bust, and it might've happened in 2008 too). So yeah, the "easy money" value plays aren't there anymore.

But I think the bigger problem with value investing today is that the current bull market has been really weird. The rising tide has lifted most boats. In the last bull market, even as it started to get toppy in 2006-2007 it wasn't as broad based and you could still find comparative bargains in certain sectors. But now it's really hard to find decent value stocks. There are contrarian plays, like the oil servicers that are popular in this thread, but unless you have inside knowledge about the scrap or sale value of offshore rigs it's hard to call it "value."

Another strange thing about this bull market is that on valuation, it's some of the big tech names that you'd think of as growth(-ish) companies who've been cheaply valued. AAPL, MSFT, INTC, until maybe last week GOOG.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

District Selectman posted:

Here's the problem - you're paying 3% just to enter a position (assuming a $10 fee per trade). And then you get to pay 3% to exit. $2k is in my opinion, the bare loving minimum to make one single trade.

Yep. At these levels the vig on the pass line at the craps table is actually lower.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Well yeah, because he only posts his winners.

Probably the most annoying thing in every single iteration of this thread.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Business posted:

Everyone buy lots of JASO its fun like punching yourself in the dick or chewing on glass.

As a former JASO bagholder myself--pre reverse split!--I agree. It's definitely a "fun" stock.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I agree with you on VZ over T. Looked into these a few months ago and came to largely the same conclusions.

Biggest caveat is that both of these are sort of yield plays and would presumably be poor performers in a rising interest rate environment.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Speaking of other dividend plays, at today's close VIAB is yielding 3.6%. I haven't really looked into the financials yet but I'm curious if today's crash might've been a little overdone.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It is. To understand the company you also have to understand the yield cos; it's the only way I've found to possibly explain the VSLR buyout offer.

Eventually I threw up my hands and said that there's easier money to make elsewhere.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

So, uh, this is a thing that happened. https://abc.xyz/

... in case you were wondering why your GOOG was up 5% in after hours.

Wow, that's interesting. And kind of weird. So Alphabet is going to be a holding company for a bunch of previously internal GOOG businesses? I guess they'll be spinning some things off within the next few years.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, if you're an AAPL holder the only good news is that maybe the buyback plan is picking up cheaper shares... but yeah, tough week if you've kept your eye on the ticker.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Not to add insult to injury, but boy coal sure is on a tear today

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, times have really been too easy for too long. We were due for some kind of correction. Now the question is whether the fears are overblown or not--and I would think that it isn't worth throwing in the towel just yet (but man I hate energy right now).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is actually from earlier in the month but still a good thought piece:

http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/08/09/the-positive-feedback-loop-is-broken/

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I don't want to be mean, but is this even a 10% correction off the highs yet? If anyone is losing their poo poo over it they really shouldn't be in the market.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
So now that everyone has had the weekend to nurse their wounds (or celebrate their shorts!), anyone have any plays they might get into on Monday?

I already have a bit too much of my money in AAPL but if I might grab some more long dated calls if it's still trading below $108 or so. Maybe pick up some XLK and XLF as well, for the buy and hold account.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Futures down another percent. Let's see where we open tomorrow...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Excuse me, I spoke too soon. Futes down 2%.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

What ever happened to Richard Gamingo's tilt at the windmills of New Hampshire federal court?

Over GTAT? Well, he wanted to be head of a shareholders' committee at the low low rate of $2 million per month.

Given that there's no expected recovery by the common anyway, he was rightly laughed out of court.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

There is a saying that this thread ought to know though..never try to catch a falling knife.

You'll get cut son

Maybe. In for a couple of NQ futures at roughly 4050.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
drat it this is like the ONE time Tim Cook speaks and the stock goes up. I wanted to get some AAPL below $100.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

So how many people actually got filled? I only managed to fill three out of more than a dozen different orders. My level 2 was telling me there were sell orders, I set my limit buy orders above the sell orders, and still couldn't get filled on most of my stuff.

I was stalled on a goddamn train and missed the open :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

What sort of recourse is there if your brokerage failed to execute a bunch of orders today?

Not much recourse. Find a better broker.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Torpor posted:

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why anyone is buying at this point.

If you like the prices and are still largely confident in the world economy I don't see why not.

Still, after a day like today (and there's still an hour to go!) I can understand why people might be a little gun shy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
An update on my trade from last night (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=518#post449345236):

Happy outcome. I felt like it was a good buy--though I probably would've been making GBS threads my pants along with everyone else at 9:30 if I wasn't in a tunnel under a river--but the fact that I was able to get out at near the day's high around lunchtime was sheer luck.

It takes some, but not all, of the sting out of the (so far unrealized) losses I've accumulated over the last week.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's the kind of move that leads impatient bulls to despair.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well their op ed pages have called for rate hikes for years now, so I wouldn't accuse them of bias in the dovish direction...

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's not a pyramid scheme, it's a buy the dips scheme.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well to be fair with zero actual inflation and a slack labor market (in terms of participation if not UE rate) it makes no sense to me to raise rates when the economy itself is still shaky.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Erdricks posted:

Except according to official data, slack in the labor market is basically gone and growth is strong.

Point to your data. And then look at the participation rate of 25-55 year olds.

quote:

Also, economic stability. Stock markets don't really matter in that respect, but debt markets do. Some people are nervous about how corporate debt is exploding at the same time corporate revenues are falling.

If corporate debt is rising while revenues are falling--again I'd like to see a cite on that--how in the hell would raising rates make things BETTER?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
drat. ACI has quadrupled in the last ten days. Maybe coal was the future after all.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Arch giveth, Arch taketh away.

Anybody here holding the bag?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

CloFan posted:

Fuckin' hell, get in on Netflix now. Also Amazon is below 500 if that's your thing

But, I hate the valuations on both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Might dip my toes in to go long some futures near the close.