Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
Does anyone have anything to say about trading with Schwab? I have them for their checking account, but I was looking at starting to trade through my One account. Should I take my trades elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Vanan posted:

Is there anything out there like a "fantasy" trading simulator? I'd like to see if I can make good picks without actually risking money.

http://www.updown.com is fantastic. There is even a goon group on there. The Noble Neckbeards Investment Club.

On another note, does anyone else feel like shorting AAPL these days? I'm thinking the sales numbers for the iPad will be abysmal.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

lazybrain posted:

Do remember how incredibly crappy the first ipod was? Don't worry, there should be a newer/better/cheaper ipad coming out just as soon as all the Apple "aficionados" have all scooped up theirs. Apple not be lazy, and I'm betting the current version won't stay that way for long...

I'd need bigger cojones to short a company that made >1000% over the past decade, not to mention their hoards of cash and growing market share.

Thanks for this, and all the others who contributed to keep me from shorting it. Next concern: what to do about Toyota? Stay the hell away from it or throw some cash it for when the media lets it go and things get back to normal? There's also talk of a second recall coming on the Prius.

Also: BRK.B: 14% annualized return over the past 20 years. With the 50-to-1 split there's a lot of interest here. Thoughts?

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Strict 9 posted:

Not sure what thread to post this in, but I figured people here might have a good idea. For tracking returns across multiple brokers, what's the best tool to use? A simple spreadsheet? I'd like to compare the returns of the various accounts I have.

http://www.mint.com ?

It accesses your brokerage information online, and can summarize all your returns.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

MrBigglesworth posted:

What the hell just happened?

Dow down 129 points, every stock I am looking at is in the red today, yet consumer confidence is up more than expected. What just happened?

I think that this has something to do with the Goldman Sachs testimony today.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/27/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4
I'm looking at possibly getting into BRK-B on Wednesday/Thursday now that it's down 2-3% in the wake of the GS fiasco/Greece Meltdown. However, I am concerned with the "coming Wall Street crackdown" which could further damage BRK-B. I'm a bit of a novice to trading in general and certainly don't completely understand the ramifications of today's events. Would BRK-B be expected to rebound soon, or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

Janin posted:

Hahaha gently caress, and I'd just bought some stuff this morning. 6 hours and I could have bought it cheap as gently caress :argh:

Definitely feeling this. I bought some stuff a week ago at the first Greek-induced dip. Now things are down 5% on top of that. Could have waited a week. This is a position I intend to be in for months or years, so I definitely could have waited a week to buy in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

MrBigglesworth posted:

Buy more, lower your average purchase price?

I would but the money's not in the right place right now to fire off a trade. Takes days to get it in place. Don't keep much in my brokerage account.