Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Hey guys, maybe one of you can help me find the stock screener I am looking for...

I want to be able to set several parameters like you can with most stock screeners, P/E, 5yr growth rate, 52wk change, etc. But i want to run this screening in certain points in time. I would like to run this as if I ran it on Jan 1st. 2008, or April 1st. 2008 if this makes sense? I want to be able to act like I am sitting at my computer on that date doing analysis to pick stocks, then I can see how my picks ended up doing. Does that make sense? Does something like this exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Anyone here use a service like a1stockpicks.com? Are they legit in delivering what they claim? I know it comes out to 240 a year so going in with 5k would be a bit stupid but if you have over 15k I don't see why not compared to mutual fund costs. Atleast this way you can use margin as well.

Edit: If they don't have a lovely reputation anyoen want to go half on this with me to reduce effect on ROI?

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Possibly a stupid question, I am thinking of picking up some shares of DZZ. I remember hearing somewhere (can't find source anymore) that when shorting the maximum ROI you can have is 200% is that true?

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Any websites out there that post when new companies hit the Nasdaq or NYSE? Having a hard time finding one, and don't know how else to find out when a new stock hit's the market.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
How long do you think till this house of cards comes crashing back down? What's your plan this time around? Also curious if anyone has any particular event in mind for "when I see this happen, I'm getting the f*** out."

Side Note: You guys feel it's time to take profits and run in small cap / russell 2000? If it's time to get out of small cap what should I move into with those funds?

PianoDragn fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 30, 2010

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006

gvibes posted:

Seems like a serious overreaction to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZvRpnZbNio

This is what always pops in my head, unfortunately there was no good quality vids of Bender yelling ABANDON SHIP on youtube.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Jackal posted:

I've been running around with MACD and %K

All indictators and attempts at predicting the market fail. I have written simulators for everyone you could imagine and they all fail equally well. Also backtesting is a complete waste of anyones time, there is no possibility to create a system off of backtesting that will produce future returns, without of course just getting lucky temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
All, excuse my ignorance in this but I am having a hard time googleing this. I don't really know much about options and futures and I stumbled upon this while researching ways of leveraging.

I am trying to find more information on the below link and description, but when I google for 'cash-based call option' I can not find anything nor any brokers that offer them. Is there another official name they go by? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cash_based.asp
'For example, let's say you purchase a cash-based call option contract with a strike price of $55. You exercise the option when the underlying stock price reaches $60 per share. Since one contract is for one hundred shares, the net value to you is $500 ( (60-55) x 100 ). In this case, you will receive $500 in cash, instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55.'

EDIT: The key thing about the above is the 'instead of being required to purchase 100 shares of stock for $55' that is what seperates this from a normal call option, but I can't find it!

PianoDragn fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 3, 2010