Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Well, I got greedy on GNVC and I'm back to about $800 profit down from $5000. I learned my lesson on small-cap biotechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

Fidelity just slashed their commissions to $7.95 flat rate, and is now offering 25 ETFs commission free (I guess to compete with Schwab).

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/trading/What_You_Can_Trade/WYCT_ETFs.shtml.cvsr

Any comments on Fidelity as a brokerage?
Oh man, that's great. I've been using Fidelity for the past month or so and it's been good to me. Phone-based customer service and chat has been top notch, I have no complaints. Looks like I'll be eligible for Level 2 soon as well.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Yeah, thinking about picking up a couple shares of Toyota myself, this won't last terribly long.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Free Gucci Mane posted:

Is short-selling really that much harder than just normal trading? Like take for example CDE, a mining company, that was up near 20 a month ago and has plunged steadily since. Would I be able to short-sell CDE shares while it was plunging--would my brokerage be able to loan shares or whatever to me and would people actually be willing to buy those shares?

I've gotten some really nice returns on shorting stocks on investopedia's simulator but I'm just wondering if that's actually possible in the real market, it just seems too easy to find a plunging stock.
I don't see what's so complicated here unless you're planning on shorting a massive amount of stock at one time.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Limit Up, I find your posting extremely interesting, any recommendations on any other forums that might be filled with your style of postings? Any good starting points for a beginning swing trader? Thanks

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Welp, just for my own amusement (and possibly yours), I'm going to post what I'm invested in and note when I get out of them. I only have about $12,000 invested right now between these, but you gotta start somewhere.

GNVC @1.89 (after getting out of the frying pan and back in)
BNVI @0.55 (averaged down a bit from my initial entry at 0.62)
VICL @3.04
CUR @2.06

edit: yes I do realize my retirement fund is entirely invested in quite speculative (I did do my DD) biotech stocks :v:. I'm only 23, if I eat it, I can easily replace the amount by the end of the year.

destructo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 13, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just lettin' you dudes know there's been a swing in the way stem cells can be used now, opening up some new opportunities.

Related link:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN1919518220100219?rpc=44

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Limit Up posted:

Great to hear. Thanks for the heads up :). Always good to know where the money's moving to.
I know we're not supposed to talk super pennies, but if you're interested in this sort of thing ACTC and VRAL might see some moves later in the year. Too risky for my blood though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Christ, 3.86 billion shares? Dilution anyone?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

LorneReams posted:

This has happened to me multiple times. I never understood how that works. Sometimes a stock will drop 20% on open and then one second later jump right back to previous close. I started to shut off my triggers at close because of this.
I imagine it must just be queued market buys/sells that people put in AH, does that make sense?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

After-hours trading doesn't set the opening price since those transactions happen off-exchange. Open price calculation is a surprisingly involved topic. How it's done also differs by exchange. Here's how it's done on the NYSE, NASDAQ explanation here.
Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

dv6speed posted:

Pfizer announced this morning that results of their Phase 3 testing for an Alzheimer’s drug ended up not meeting the primary or secondary endpoints as compared to placebo. If you like Pfizer long term it may be a good buying point, but I don't have an opinion on their stock either way.
Heh, possible dead cat bounce on the way here (related). -70% in a day

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MDVN

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just for shits.. Watch GGWPQ in the coming week.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dr. Jackal posted:

are we looking at who wants to buy it or if the judge is going to rape it?

I would bet that the judge would do something in between and go with the 3 months like the Hughes suggested. I would be surprised if anyone wanted to gobble up the entire company. While I doubt GGWPQ would get carved up, I would think it would get funding from china?.

If you jumped on the boat 2,3 week ago one would be :smug:... :\
GGP today :D, we'll see what happens..

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

destructo posted:

Just for shits.. Watch GGWPQ in the coming week.

from reuters posted:

By Daniel Taub

March 8 (Bloomberg) -- General Growth Properties Inc.’s largest creditor, Fairholme Capital Management LLC, and Pershing Square Capital Management LP, the biggest shareholder, plan to jointly invest $3.93 billion in the mall owner to help it emerge from bankruptcy, according to a person familiar with the plan.

The investment would combine with $2.63 billion from Brookfield Asset Management Inc. and pay unsecured creditors in full, including interest, in cash, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. The new plan is being considered by General Growth’s board and may be announced as soon as today.
:smug:

edit: Still waiting for share pricing figures, but hopefully this is good news..

edit2: up 5% already today, not bad, now let's see a couple dollars.

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 9, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Buying a stock for the dividend payouts is pretty :effort:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

What is better than being all in and up 1.75% on a day when the S&P is currently only up 0.5%? Nothing. There's nothing better :smug:.
Except for being up 15% in three days :smug:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Glad I got outta GNVC at the open today, something is amiss.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
BNVI will announce the start of its phase III trial of Menerba in the next couple weeks, interest in the past couple months has been really low, but this is going to give a welcome pop to the share price. A decent short-term play at the least, I'll probably hold till at least $1.00-$1.50 or so before I sell off half of my position. We'll probably see at least a 0.25 cent jump on the news.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sylink posted:

What makes you think it will beat the 52wk high any time soon?
52week high will be a bit of a stretch in the short term, but it'll easily pop a quarter. It's been oscillating between 0.50 and 0.65 on no news right now. Do your own DD, but Menerba is a game changer as far as menopause relief drugs go as it's not hormone based (aka cancer-causing) like the rest of products on the market. Competing products like DEPO's are currently under scrutiny for possibly having the same issues as Xenoport's recently denied NDA. Menerba has been proven to be safe and effective in the latest phase II study with the only side effect being loose stool as opposed to several black label warnings compared to current offerings.

Aside from that they have a breast cancer drug and a vaginal dryness product also in the works, they also have plenty of money in the bank to avoid dilution or fund raising for a year or so.

The Phase III trial is scheduled to start in June, but the announcement should come shortly.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

I liked it better when people didn't talk about penny stocks.
Different people have different strategies, I don't see what the issue is. I'm not talking about pump & dump momentum-only subpenny stocks. Someone brought up the same issue when I talked about GNVC in the last thread, look where it is now. $1.00 in December to a double top of 3.35 over the past two months. I made an assload of money by doing my own DD, there's nothing wrong with being aggressive if you're willing to do your reading.

That said there are plenty of garbage biotechs as well, not everything is the next HGSI or DNDN.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Took most of my pre-news gains out of APPA and letting the house money ride.. let's see what happens after hours :ohdear:

edit: trading has been halted aaaaaaaahhhgh :ohdear: :hf: :ohdear:

edit2: well, the news wasn't horrible, gonna hold my remaining shares to resubmission

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Picked up some CRXX on Wednesday :smug:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

What provoked the purchase? That was quite the nab. :/
Eh it wasn't a big buyin, just 2k shares, I just ran some quick numbers regarding how I figured their earnings would shape up and figured I'd see a little pop. CRXX is pretty undervalued still, given that it has royalties from a drug that was just approved and a couple more in the pipeline + assistance from Covidien. I'm probably just going to hold this for a while and see where it shakes out.

Seems to be just a quick pop on news today though, hopefully it'll hold some gains.

drat you, saw that breaking out earlier today, good call
\/\/\/\/\/

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Heh, I took a good beating on GNVC, pulled everything out save 1000 shares before the TNFerade news came through, not sure what to do with them now. Still up a couple K from the whole affair so I'm not too upset.

I'm going to stick with GGP and Chinese solar stocks (JASO, specifically) for the next couple months. GGP should be a short term play, JASO I could see hitting $9-10 in the near future with the way that China is expanding it's solar power grid (over 70x in the next 10 years, gonna be some big contracts).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Just bought 20 contracts worth of calls at a strike price of $20 for GGP.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

Well they already went bankrupt once in the last year, chances are pretty low of a second one so soon! Coincidentally, the bankruptcy was just about this time last year! Neat.
I guess we'll see who's right in this case. Going bankrupt for insolvency instead of illiquidity is hardly as bad, SPG and a slew of others are still in the bidding for GGP. By my estimates either I'll either be up a couple grand or down a couple hundred, not a bad risk/reward as I don't have enough free capital to buy enough shares to make the investment worthwhile right now.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Which expiration?
May

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

No, they were the $1.00 MAY ABK PUTS that I bought at .05 a piece when ABK was around $3.15-$3.20 or so.
Nice call.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Lunchmoney gamble, Bought 1000 shares of FBC @ 0.677 today. Earnings out April 27th.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

rear end in a top hat, wish $600 was my lunchmoney. Where do you eat lunch at? Do they serve i3 laptops for lunch?
Just my proceeds off CRXX over the past two pops, although I'll probably get back into CRXX again after getting out at 1.45 today. Buying FBC may have been a pretty retarded move though.

Sell to close those ABK puts yet?

Why did you buy into MIPI after the trial results jump? Even if it is a fake portfolio
\/\/\/

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 14, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ayekappy posted:

Two things, would a stock really be halted pending really good news? Also, I think even the largest company would probably go up more than 300% for finding some universal cure for cancer. Probably would have a market cap of a trillion.
Biotechs are often halted when good news breaks, SOMX in the midday for example, a couple weeks back.

To answer the above question, when you have instant valuation of intellectual property, the whole zero-sum thing doesn't entirely work until all the shares have changed hands after the fact.

destructo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 15, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Duey posted:

So this might be a stupid question, but what effect does options expiration have on the market? Does it usually push prices higher? lower? no effect?
You really just want to know about quadruple witching. tl;dr: increased volatility for a day.

http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog/2010/03/19/quadruple-witching-stock-market/

edit: Got back into CRXX @1.34 again today, ASCO presentations sometime between April 17th-21st and a fair amount of buyout/partnership rumors with Novartis floating around. Not a bad place to be.

destructo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 15, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

blazin961 posted:

Background on myself I started investing for real last year and was made poo poo loads (over 100% post taxes) doing short term plays. For reference I manage a 6 figure account. I post this only to show I'm not taking 500 bucks and buying penny stocks and claiming 1000% gain.
Not to poo poo on your party, but you could have put your money into anything back in Feb-March of 2009 and done that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Zarrr posted:

Lots of people did considerably better, in fact.
Yep :( I had my money sitting in cash through the whole 07-09 shitfest and wasn't smart enough to start investing it till late 09, sniff.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I thought the practice of flash trading stopped some time in 2009?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
BNVI is up 40% in afterhours, mwaahaha.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
That's odd, even in my non-margin account, I can immediately use the credit from the stocks I sell provided that I don't sell the newly purchased items before the settlement date of the first sale. The risk that one of your sales not settling is pretty much nil, afaik.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Huh?
Looks like he sold at the January pop up to ~60, now it's up 40% from there, not bad.

SNSS might make a run over the next two weeks due to some deadlines looming, should be a good size run up before June as well, as new Voreloxin data is expected. Got in today at 0.94 with 3k shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Zarrr posted:

Sold out my 5,000 shares @ .735 today.

I'll probably regret it, but the stock's a bit too risky for me. I don't see anything driving up the price but hot air, particularly with the reverse split looming.
Probably a good call, I should just take my 12% and call it a day.. earnings not till Tuesday though, maybe I'll wait a bit longer.

edit: 210k share being dumped @ 0.75 and another 100k for sale at 2.99? Pipe dream.

edit2: FBC hitting 0.825 in afterhours :madmax:

destructo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2010