Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Agreed, but I only get so much vacation per year. Going to go somewhere a little closer next time, or save up every possible vacation day and take a 15 day trip or something.
It can work, but you really need to minimize how much you travel around during the trip. 9 days where you go to 3 places with 3 flights is very rushed. 9 days where you go 1 place and never move is plenty of time, even if it takes 2 days of traveling to get there and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
I was in SE Asia about about 3.5 years ago so my information might be a little outdated but I spent 4 months backpacking through Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam. Be glad to answer any questions. I flew into Thailand, took the bus from Thailand down to Malaysia and Singapore, bused back up to Malaysia and flew from Kuala Lumpur to Phnom Penh Cambodia on AirAsia. I then bused overland from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City.

I spent approximately 3500USD in 4 months not including flights and I was eating and drinking pretty well. I would love to go back; I tried going this Christmas but flights were full so I ended up in Central America instead.

I enjoyed Thailand and Cambodia the most. I thought Vietnam was the most scenic (spent about 3 weeks there) and did an bus tour from Saigon up to Hanoi however I definitely found Vietnam to be a lot more aggressive than Thailand.

In fact Vietnam was really the only country where I had a bad experience. In Nha Trang I got surrounded by a gang of moto-bike girls while walking home one night. They brushed up against me and I pushed them away, five seconds later I noticed I had a giant rip in my jeans and my wallet was hanging out. They basically cut my jeans with a razor blade in an attempt to steal my wallet however they didn't get it. I definitely got a bad vibe in Nha Trang but I still highly recommend Vietnam. Sapa and Ha Long Bay were two of my favorite places on my trip.

I'd love to go back one day and do a motorcycle tour like Pompous Rhombus but I'm afraid it will probably be a few years before I can afford that again.

I kept a travel blog (http://blog.macado.org) with pictures if anyone is interested though I'm sure there is more updated information elsewhere.

Also, I know this has been mentioned a million times but the best advice I have is bring as little in the way of clothing and other accessories as possible. You can buy pretty much everything you need there. Also, it's a hundred times easier to travel when you have a smaller backpack. You really don't need a massive hiking bag like I saw so many people using unless you're planning on doing some camping or hardcore backpacking. It's also much easier to get a ride on a motobike if you're not carrying around a huge backpack.

I wouldn't recommend this at all but I basically didn't get any shots or vaccinations before going there other than a tetanus shot. As long as you're not going into deep jungle or well off the beaten track I think most people would be fine though I guess if health insurance is going to pay for it you might as well get them. Same advice about malaria, I used a combination of pure DEET and a mosquito net. I'm still alive if that means anything.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I can't be one to talk though, I am in the same situation where I don't have much vacation time and I want to go to all these far off places...

The vacation has to be on the terms you can set. It would be fantastic if we could all have 4 months off to travel through southeast asia (and props to the people who can/are adventurous enough to) but sometimes we have jobs. Sometimes they are jobs that we like that we couldn't possibly get more than a week or two off, or aren't willing to quit to take a few months off. I went to thailand for 8 days a couple weeks ago. Was it long enough? No, but I had to be back at work on monday. I still had a blast, though and I'm off to Malaysia for a week on friday. Unfortunately I couldnt get the vacation in a giant block, but that's life. When I was in Thailand I had a ton of people scoff at my one week trip, telling me I wasn't seeing the true Thailand cause I wasn't backpacking for a month. Maybe in a way they are right, but you know what? gently caress them. It's YOUR vacation. Take the opportunities you are given and enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how long or short they may be. The way I look at it is: would you rather go somewhere and say "it just wasn't long enough" or not go at all?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Bulging Nipples posted:

The vacation has to be on the terms you can set. It would be fantastic if we could all have 4 months off to travel through southeast asia (and props to the people who can/are adventurous enough to) but sometimes we have jobs. Sometimes they are jobs that we like that we couldn't possibly get more than a week or two off, or aren't willing to quit to take a few months off. I went to thailand for 8 days a couple weeks ago. Was it long enough? No, but I had to be back at work on monday. I still had a blast, though and I'm off to Malaysia for a week on friday. Unfortunately I couldnt get the vacation in a giant block, but that's life. When I was in Thailand I had a ton of people scoff at my one week trip, telling me I wasn't seeing the true Thailand cause I wasn't backpacking for a month. Maybe in a way they are right, but you know what? gently caress them. It's YOUR vacation. Take the opportunities you are given and enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how long or short they may be. The way I look at it is: would you rather go somewhere and say "it just wasn't long enough" or not go at all?
Yep, I completely agree with this. I got back from 18 days in SW Asia from Vietnam -> Cambodia -> Thailand. Did I rush things? Yes. Did I not see all I wanted to see? Yes. Did I have an awesome time anyway? Absolutely.

It also helped that, because I am employed, I had a bigger budget to work with. This let me take flights everywhere and essentially remove myself from the budget traveling which so often takes up time.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
I have a few quick questions about Thailand, Kanchanaburi in particular. There's a few day tours I've been checking out online that look interesting, but all of the tours that involve bamboo rafting also seem to be tied with elephant riding, which I'm not keen on. Is bamboo rafting something that can be organised independently outside of a set tour? Or is it just a matter of going on one of these tours and then saying no to the elephant ride part?

...Is bamboo rafting down the River Kwai even worth it? Opinions welcome.

Also if anyone has stayed at either Blue Star Guest House, Sabai @ Kan or Ploy Guest House in K'buri, your opinions would be welcome also. Right now I've got my eye on a bungalow at Blue Star which sits over the river, but I haven't booked anything yet.

Three weeks until we head off! :dance:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bulging Nipples posted:

When I was in Thailand I had a ton of people scoff at my one week trip, telling me I wasn't seeing the true Thailand cause I wasn't backpacking for a month. Maybe in a way they are right, but you know what? gently caress them. It's YOUR vacation.

Urggh nothing pisses me off more than smug backpackers telling other people about the ONLY way to travel.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

freebooter posted:

Urggh nothing pisses me off more than smug backpackers telling other people about the ONLY way to travel.

Just ask them about how sad it is hill tribe villages are getting electricity and running water.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Yeah, that's ridiculous. If you're some smelly loving backpacker in fisherman pants walking down Khao San or visiting Chiang Mai, you're still as much of a tourist as anyone else.

i see things
Dec 26, 2008

SonicDefiance posted:

I have a few quick questions about Thailand, Kanchanaburi in particular. There's a few day tours I've been checking out online that look interesting, but all of the tours that involve bamboo rafting also seem to be tied with elephant riding, which I'm not keen on. Is bamboo rafting something that can be organised independently outside of a set tour? Or is it just a matter of going on one of these tours and then saying no to the elephant ride part?

Also if anyone has stayed at either Blue Star Guest House, Sabai @ Kan or Ploy Guest House in K'buri, your opinions would be welcome also. Right now I've got my eye on a bungalow at Blue Star which sits over the river, but I haven't booked anything yet.

Honestly, the best way to do SE Asia and even moreso Thailand is to just show up and then determine what you're going to do. If you book something like that online in advance it's going to be at least 4-5x more than what you'd pay if you just walked in. Walking in also allows you to negotiate the price, because they will try to gouge you big time.

So don't plan. Have a very, very loose list of things/places and that is it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SonicDefiance posted:

I have a few quick questions about Thailand, Kanchanaburi in particular.

I spent one New Year's in Kanchanaburi. It's a fairly small town and I rented a bike and managed to find where the bars were by just following younger Thais around on their bikes. Ended up running into some of my former students there at a bar and saw a hot as gently caress performance by some local performer on the stage.

While I was there I also went to the more touristy areas. They have a smallish market near the bridge that's tourist centric, and a mess of bungalows all over there next to eachother, many of which have rooms on little rafts on the river. I was staying in a hotel more toward the center of town as I'd just decided to visit Kanchanaburi for New Year's (having spent the previous one in Bangkok mostly sitting in a taxi) and took the local Thai bus there.

I don't understand why you would want to go rafting but not elephant riding. The two are inextricably linked tourist pastimes in my mind, I was never interested in either. The only advice I have along those lines is that, if it's an option, sit on the elephant's head rather than its back as it's a much more comfortable ride (and the elephant obviously doesn't give a poo poo).

Two things that are cool to do in Kanchanaburi:

1) Visit the tiger sanctuary. Go on one of the arranged songtaews (pickup truck turned bus via benches in the back and a little roof) out there, probably set up through your bungalow operation. There's a totally non-eventful tiger temple near it and people who try to find it on their own end up at this stupid little nothing temple next to the road instead (like I did) and give up on seeing the tigers (I didn't -- I found a monk instead and he gave me directions to the actual sanctuary). When I went they still had two baby tigers you could play with (they played loving rough though, goddamn tiger scratched the poo poo out of my shoes), but they're grown up now. Still, if you're brave, you'll probably get a chance to pet a live tiger while a monk feeds it condensed milk pellets. Don't wear red, the monks all told me that it attracts the wrong kind attention from the tigers -- also don't squat down or bend over to take pictures, for the same reasons.

2) Buy some little Burmese cigars. They come by about 50 in a cellophane bag, have a greenish wrapper (I think it's supposed to be banana leaf) and are slightly bigger than a cigarette. Very mild sweet smoke. Because Kanchanaburi is toward Burma you can often find them there.

As per the post above me, booking anything online is unnecessary. I doubt the gouging is as extreme as I See Things says it is, and even if it is and you end up paying ten bucks a night for a three dollar a night room oh no Batman that's seven bucks you'll never see again. The reason to not book online isn't a money issue, it's an options issue upon arrival.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just ask them about how sad it is hill tribe villages are getting electricity and running water.

"Thailand is not a real country any more. I have been coming to this island since the 1970s and now there are so many bungalows and people running businesses." -- Fat German Tourist

brendanwor posted:

Yeah, that's ridiculous. If you're some smelly loving backpacker in fisherman pants walking down Khao San or visiting Chiang Mai, you're still as much of a tourist as anyone else.

"It's not always spicy. It's never spicy. I've been living in Chiang Mai for a month and I eat cashew chicken all the time and I've never had it served spicy before." -- Canadian Woman Tourist in Fishermen Pants

raton fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 11, 2010

Noir desir
Jul 9, 2007

by Ozma
The tiger temple there is ok, I was there not too long ago, but it's not hugely special or anything. The tigers are all pretty zonked out from eating and just sit there yawning while the guide person takes pictures of you with them, they make you sign a piece of paper which says it's your fault if you get eaten by one of them and not their responsibility lol, they didn't seem to notice we all wrote poo poo like donald duck in the name section of ours. If you're gonna go there don't take the minibus tours from bangkok, splitting a cab fare then bus to the tigers/bridge will be way cheaper. Rafting could probably be fun but it's not white water rapids or anything.. so I guess I'd skip it and the floating market place near it as well (it sucks big time)

oh sorry i just re-read that post correctly, why not elephant riding? it's badass & there's fuckall else to do in that town

Noir desir fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 11, 2010

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
I won't be booking any tours online in advance; I meant that I was just looking around on some sites to see what kind of things were available to do. I'm not interested in riding elephants or anything to do with tigers because I'm not interested in supporting those practices - probably the only animal-related thing I will end up doing is visiting the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai, although I am still doing a bit of research into that.

Doesn't really faze me if I don't go bamboo rafting to be honest, but I noticed that the two activities (that and elephant riding) do seem to be linked in every tour that I've seen, so I was just wondering whether it was something that could be done ad hoc if we decided it might be a nice way to pass some time.

Noir, how long were you in Kanchanaburi for? That's the first time I've heard that there's not much to do around there, although most people whose reports I've read/heard seem to only have been there for no more than a couple of days. We're only staying for one night, two days, so we will probably be quite busy most of the time. As well as the historical stuff around town I'm quite keen to go to Sai Yok and/or Erawan.

SonicDefiance fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 11, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SonicDefiance posted:

I stayed at Blue Star, not on the river though. The cats had a major nocturnal throwdown outside my bungalow between 3am and 5am, I gave up on sleeping and walked around town before sunup, which was fun. Actually, I recommend waking up crazy-early at least once in Thailand, as you get to see Real Thai People(tm) going about their business, monks going out for alms, etc. I visited the WWII cemetery, chatted with some garbagemen, and then got breakfast in the town square as the first shop was opening.

There is an *awesome* Indian restaurant down the road from Blue Star called Ali Bongo. It's the best Indian food I've ever had.

Aside from that, I stumbled across the Monkey School at Kanchanaburi, which was an interesting enough little diversion. There are also a number of worthy sites/stops on the road to Sangkhlaburi, which is itself fairly picturesque. [Cue motorcycle recommendation.]

On the Tiger Temple, I haven't gone but I know some people accuse the monks of drugging the tigers. I doubt that's the case: aside from that being pretty antithetical to Buddhist teachings, tigers are generally nocturnal so it's really no wonder they're sleepy and sluggish during the day. I used to work at a zoo in high school, the tigers there were the same way. I guess if you want to see them all frisky, try and get there as early in the day as possible.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 11, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Bangkok photo ops

I'm by no means an expert on Bangkok but thought I'd share some good spots for photography in Bangkok. Please add yours if you know of any.

Bayoke Tower
Tallest building in Thailand. I've only been there once though. The view was nice and it wasn't too crowded so it might even be possible to bring a tripod if you're dorky enough. They charge a bit over 200 baht (2 years ago) to enter but one free drink is included in the sky bar.

Skytrain
Goes through the city like a snake. The view from it is sometimes quite spectacular, especially when it reaches the bends around MBK and it all looks like a scene from Bladerunner (somewhat). To get good photos you need to go to either the very front or rear of the train because anything inbetween is covered in advertising. If you can't think of anything to do one day, buy a one day Skytrain pass and ride both lines from end to end. The walkways to the Skytrain stations also offer good views of the constant traffic jams below. The Victory Monument station is good for this.

Chinatown
This area is always bustling. It's really crowded and you're likely to get run over by a car while taking a photo but it'll be worth it when you recover the memory card from your broken camera (ok, not really). There's almost an endless amount of things to take pictures of. Might not be too exciting if you're coming from Hong Kong though, but at least people should be friendlier than those grumpy HK people!

Bobae Tower
Or actually the Prince Palace hotel. On the 11th floor there is a nice outdoor area with a pool and restaurant. The view from here is quite good. Entry is free and nobody checks if you're a guest of the hotel or not, unless you look super suspicious. Go to the higher floors for even better views.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Oh god, you want a good photo op, go up to Sky Bar/Sirocco restaurant, 63rd floor of the State Tower on Silom. The most amazing night views in BKK. Drinks and food are quite expensive though, and that's by western standards.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The 360 degree executive bar in the Bangkok Hilton (not that one!) has amazing views - I'm not sure if you even need a pass to get up there either.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Photo-wise (or if you just want to sight-see), I like to start at Hualamphong station in Chinatown after dinner, walk down Yaowarat and then follow the river all the way to Banglamphu/Khao San. You can pass the Thieves Market with a slight detour, otherwise sticking to the river takes you to a metal bridge (a popular hangout for local teenagers) with a medium-sized night market, as well as Bangkok's 24/7 flower market. It's extra fun if you stop at convenience stores along the way and buy booze as you go.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

Bangkok photo ops

I'm not a big fan of the river taxi in general but you can get some pretty kickin pictures from it. Get on at Sapahn Taksin (the southern most stop, there's a bridge and a BTS station there) and get off wherever you feel like on your way north. One of the stops is at Khao San if you want to see that, but not every boat that leaves from Sapahn Taksin stops at Khao San and it may be hard for you to figure out which one you're on. If you miss the Bunglumpoo pier just get off at the next stop (so long as it's on the East side of the river) and take a taxi back. Another place to get off potentially is the pier right next to Wat Pra Kaew so you can go see the Emerald Buddha and Wat Po.

If you visit Chinatown be sure to also stop by Little India (Pauhwarat) which is right next door. Best photo ops in Chinatown IMO are the gold stores and Trok Sampaeng (a narrow little alley with shops in there that used to be called the Thieves Market). Be aware that both Chinatown and Pauhwarat are loving grotty and dirty and crowded and bustly and inconvenient even compared to the rest of Bangkok, so don't plan on spending more than a couple of hours there before you start your escape.

There are, of course, many cool temples to visit. Rather than trying to hit the major ones, just stop by whatever temple you happen to be walking past when something seems to be going on there (best times for this are usually in the evening -- you may see a monk induction ceremony, a funeral, or any number of seasonally oriented things). They're also pretty stunning breaks from the heat and noise of Bangkok. Monks are often a bit better educated than the general Thai population and a somewhat surprising number of them will be able to have a basic conversation with you in English. My favorite temple is actually a tiny Indian one simply called Wat Khek (which means "Indian Temple") by most Thais -- it's on Silom between Sois 13 and 19 somewhere, I don't remember the exact cross street.

It should also be mentioned that the hooker cauldron that is Nana Plaza makes for some pretty cool pictures, as does Soi Cowbowy, the other fairly genuine sex for sale depot. Patpong, Bangkok's third hooker haven (and the last out and about with neon for farang one), is more of a fake watch and DVD market these days than it is a genuine sex alley, but the nearby Japanese oriented soi (the girls are in kimonos instead of bikinis or school girl outfits and make little Japanese noises at passing prospective customers instead of yelling HELLO HANDSOME MAN!) is pretty cool. There's even some fairly authentic Japanese street food over there if you look around a little bit, a ramen shop, a curry den, that kind of thing.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 13, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

brendanwor posted:

If you're some smelly loving backpacker in fisherman pants walking down Khao San or visiting Chiang Mai, you're still as much of a tourist as anyone else.

Ah, so that's what they're called. Been wondering why EVERY backpacker wears them. Must be written in Lonely Planet or something. I'm sure they're comfy but drat...

Sheep-Goats posted:

It should also be mentioned that the hooker cauldron that is Nana Plaza makes for some pretty cool pictures, as does Soi Cowbowy, the other fairly genuine sex for sale depot.

Just don't try to take any photos inside the naughty bars or people will be upset!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

The 360 degree executive bar in the Bangkok Hilton (not that one!) has amazing views - I'm not sure if you even need a pass to get up there either.
Bring something to beat the hookers away with! Heh.

If anyone wants to choose the "emigrate and/or work in Thailand as something other than a teacher" option I can give advice on that. Rhombus knows way more in general about traveling Thailand and Southeast Asia than I do (not to mention Thai history, reading Thai, speaking Thai, etc). Kind of sad now that I say it out loud! gently caress you Rhombus! Making me look bad, slacking students with your free time and mandate to learn the language and history. Heh.

Actually, one thing I think I can say is that I know the outer environs of Bangkok really well. If anyone's interested in getting a little outside of Bangkok and seeing some everyday life with oddball temples or markets thrown in I can help out with that. I also know the river boat routes and what not exceptionally well. And the offer to take anyone running in the plantations and jungle-y areas still stands.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There is an *awesome* Indian restaurant down the road from Blue Star called Ali Bongo. It's the best Indian food I've ever had.

Seconding the restaurant.

On the whole kanchanaburi tour, I did one that was offered at my guesthouse (sugarcane guesthouse, which was nice).
You do the waterfalls, elephant ride, rafting, railroad+temple, trainride, and the bridge itself.

The falls are fantastic and I could have stayed there a lot longer, jumping of rocks, getting free fishmassages :)
elephant ride is ok, but rather boring.
The "rafting" is... well... they take you to your raft with a motorboat, then the friggin' thing drifts downstream for half an hour at the pace of an old lady, who's just been hit by a bus... And then the motorboat brings you back to the place you started. Not really worth it.

What I didn't know is that you can take a different tour, where you do the museum and cemetary instead of the elephant-raft thing. If you have any interest in the history of the place I recommend you do this.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're heading up to Kanchanburi, try a dish with 'het kone' (local variety of mushrooms). One thing you pick up on in Thailand pretty quick is that most cities and regions have some local dish or vegetable or something that they're known for. When Thai people drive more than 5 minutes away from home they're required by laws handed down from the Ayutthaya Dynasty to return with bags of local food to distribute to friends, family and co-workers. True story. Totally not true story, actually, but it might as well be.

The mushrooms probably won't blow your mind, but when in Rome and all that. I enjoyed them - in fact tom yam het (tom yam with mushrooms) is what I usually eat instead of shrimp, so het kone is an interesting variation. Not as cool as waterfalls or the railroad museum, but a little local color that's probably not in the guidebooks.

The trail running's really cool up there too if you take off into the foothills and such, for what it's worth.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 13, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Saturday night in Bangkok. Someone's been out drinking, a lot. Someone who cannot stand the lovely lady in my avatar. So this someone sent me a pm

:3:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hah, totally sober - can't drink while I'm on these pills. My first fungal infection =D

That avatar just screams kaaaaa through my soul, heh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Random Phnom Penh list:
  • Feeling posh? Stop by the FCC to meet all the white people working hard to keep their respective charities from hitting the 0% of donations wasted on administration mark. In the old days when there were reporters you might've met a reporter there too. Not that it's all that pricey, just compared to the rest of town it is.
I know people poo poo on the FCC as being basically a bunch of NGO posers these days (here in bangkok among the expats it's pretty common) and I guess it is, but that's by far my favorite bar in the entire world. It's just a fantastic mix of people from all over and it's super friendly. I've ended up having beers with newspaper editors, missionaries and all kinds of random people from all over when staying there and their $1 or $1.50 (I forget) sangria deals can't be beat. I missed my plane 3 days in a row once hanging out there and ended up with $75 tabs for hours of working that were about 90% sangria (and gambling at the casino every night, winning enough to pay for the next day's missed plane ticket, hotel stay and bar tab). Sure, it's not a gritty, authentic experience (if you want that, go to Kabul) and it's part of the Cappuccinos on the Mekong transformation of Sisowath Quay, but it's really a great bar and I'd recommend it to anyone to hang out for a few hours. It's one of the only places that feels like an honest to God colonial outpost, which is something that I can understand a lot of people specifically do not like, but I kind of enjoy the tip of the hat to that era's style and ambience.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 14, 2010

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fiskenbob posted:

I'll leave it to someone else to write a segment about the Philippines. Like you, I don't feel I visited enough of the country to write a decent piece.

I spent my time mainly in Negros Occidental. (And Boracay, which was fun, but could have been anywhere)
I have spent a lot of time in Manila and here's my quick guide to Manila:

Manila, The Philippines

Things to avoid in Manila:
  • Manila

In all seriousness, it's not a very interesting city, there's a lot wrong with it and anyone who takes the time to fly to the Philippines should just skip on down to an island or, if you feel compelled to hit up a city, spend your time in Cebu or Davao or somewhere else. Manila is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. That being said, if you feel compelled to go, below are a few things to note - keep in mind I was there not as a backpacker, so I don't know the Ermita scene at all:

• The Airport The airport in Manila is confusing as gently caress and divided into 3-4 "terminals" that are all miles apart in driving distance. When flying out, make sure you know if you're going out of Centennial Terminal or the new terminal or A or B or whatever, because you can't just walk from one to the other and traffic is Hell in Manila.

On a side note, when you're flying out you're probably going to fly out of Ninoy Aquino International, so make sure you says "Ninoy" when you ask to go the to airport. The cabbies mostly assume you're going there if you're foreign, but some people have been taken to Clark.

If you go to the old terminal (you'll know because that's where most non-Philippines carriers fly out of and it's an old, worn out brown building), chicks will approach you after security about going to "The Lounge". Normally this kind of thing is a rip off, but my advice is DO IT. It's the equivalent of about $15 US and you can drink and eat all you want and they have couches and wifi. It's like something out of 1982, heh. I easily drank way more than $15 in airport beer prices every time I was there. Food kinda sucks, but whatever, it's better than farting around the waiting area for an hour or so.

• Taxis Taxis from the airport come in two flavors: fixed rate and meter. Meter are yellow and next to the curb when you exit, fixed are white (last I checked) and across the first driveway. Used to be that fixed was all they had, and this may still be true at some terminals, but meter was available the last few times I went. Meter saves you several hundred pesos, so I'd advise it. The meter guys at the airport have always been honest when I used them, which is more than I can say for every other taxi in Manila.

Generally speaking when you're in Thailand, taxis in tourist areas will try to rip you off and taxis outside of tourist areas tend to be more honest. In Manila your odds aren't so good and the rules are more like "if you're obviously foreign the taxis will try to rip you off." There are a lot of reasons for this, but essentially expect to at least be hassled for a tip and expect for taxi drivers to constantly try to negotiate a fee up front. Your odds get better when you're not in a wealthy Kano area or a tourist area, but they never get very good. Still a "rip off" consists of paying about an extra $1 or $2 US, so it's nothing to flip out about, it just gets old once you're sort of regular there. Like, you know, I know the loving place is just up EDSA, don't try to charge me 400p rear end in a top hat.

• Buses I can say I never took a bus because I was usually on business and not traveling, so I had more money than time. The thing to note about buses in Manila is that there aren't public buses, there are public licenses to drive a certain route, which is why you see huge buses all flying in front of one another and honking constantly at bus stops to compete for passengers. It's a ridiculous system, Manila is a ridiculous city, get used to it. I have no idea what the fares are, but everything that regular people in Manila use is pretty cheap because Manila is a dystopia of impoverished slum dwellers, domestic workers and laborers peppered with pockets of insanely wealthy plantation-style elites. There is a growing middle class, this is true and positive, but it's relatively small.

• FX You'll see Mitsubishi SUVs flying around in certain areas painted like taxis. They're basically share taxis. Each one goes a certain route, you jump in, pay your share and ride. Often you'll be stuffed in the back. Enjoy. Rates vary, but are usually in the range of double digit pesos depending on how far you go.

• Trikes These remind me of tuk tuks in Thailand. Annoying to ride in, always trying to rip you off, should probably be done once just so you can say you rode in one.

• Jeepneys The thing every tourist needs a picture in front of. There's no mistaking what a Jeepney is. Basically after the Pacific war a bunch of jeeps got left here. Filipinos took them, elongated them and made makeshift buses out of them. They run a set route painted on the side, you pay the small fee and you ride the route - it's usually very cheap. 10p or something depending on the neighborhood. These are closest to saengtaews in Thailand.

• Crime I never experienced any crime in Manila. Every single Pinoy I know professionally has been mugged and/or beaten and had their wallet and/or laptop stolen. It's common for businesses, for example, to provide a room for people to lock their belongings in when they leave work because of this. The crime takes place anywhere, but a very common venue is in public transport. Remember the Jeepneys, FX and buses above? Almost every person that I mentioned who was robbed was robbed in the back of an FX, a Jeepney or in a bus at gunpoint. When you get in a taxi and the guy reaches around to lock all the doors so you don't get robbed at a streetlight on the way from the airport he's not doing it for show.

The main thing here is, unlike Bangkok, don't go wandering down dark streets at night even if there are people around. Manila is not a particularly safe place, but if you're in a well-lit and secured area then it's completely different than if you're wandering around some random baranguay. If you're in the middle of Makati or Ortigas or The Fort, for example, nothing's going to happen to you usually. Part of the "pockets of wealth" thing I mentioned above includes heavy security presence in wealthier areas that essentially repels poor people, scammers and criminals. When you want to run a society with huge gaps in income equality and social mobility guns and jackboots are an effective tool.

At the same time, I tell people what I always tell them - the reputation for crime anywhere is always a bit overblown. I used to go jogging into the ghettoes across the river and while it most definitely was not friendly like the slums in Bangkok, I wasn't approached or robbed or anything.

• Guns Yeah, be ready for this. The amount of guns on display in Manila is staggering - and I'm from Texas and own guns. Everything from McDonald's to the LRT is guarded by a guy toting a shotgun. For real fun, hang around a bank until the armored car shows up. An entire tactical unit deploys and takes up position around the bank entrance completely with body armor, M-16s (or whatever variant) and tactical gear. Quite a show to watch.

• Food Pinoy food is awful, frankly. It's renowned around the region as the only country where the food just sucks. Of course don't take my word for it, just like I didn't take anyone else's word for it. You'll find out on your own. Their barbecue is tolerable and there are a few good dishes, but by and large it's hideous. Of the things I tried, sinagong, diningding, lechon, beef tapa and the various forms of barbecue (ihaw, as I recall) were actually okay. Everything else, from sisig to the 400 varieties of "gobs of grease and chunks of fatty/boney meat on rice" were all universally either bland, bad or rancid. To each his own, but I've got good friends who have lived there for years and had a good time living in Manila and even they think the food sucks. Prepare to, no poo poo, see menu items titled "Tuna Guts" and "Chicken rear end in a top hat". Not kidding on that at all.

The international food's okay and the beef is much better than Thailand, but the whole cooking culture is built around insane amounts of heavy grease and oil, so get used to feeling really grimy. The country largely ships its edible food out for export, so even when you're eating some other kind of food the ingredients seem to be kinda bad unless you're paying top dollar. That's just my personal opinion though.

• Beer Cheap and plentiful, everything is San Miguel. They do have a few other options like Tiger and of course the bars stock fancy stuff on tap if you want it, but almost everything is brewed by San Miguel - Red Horse, San Mig, Lone Star (yes, that Lone Star), Cerveza Negra, it's all San Miguel. All very cheap too. A big old bottle of beer will run you the equivalent of about $0.65 US.

• Nightlife/Restaurants/Stuff Like This You'll quickly find that half the poo poo "to do" in Manila turns out to be in a loving mall, basically. This is largely for security reasons, but also because building huge malls is what the SM group makes money at. Still, it's depressing. Who the gently caress wants to hang out at a Cuban bar at the mall?

Outside of the mall there are a number of interesting nightlife things to do. Remedios Circle was my favorite area, with interesting bars and poker rooms and some Cuban and other international cuisines all in the middle of a kind of University area. Makati has a number of expat bars and things, mostly in malls or around malls. When people say stuff to you like "Greenbelt" or "Glorietta" or "Market Market" they're talking about gigantic mall compelxes essentially. Makati's also where the famous red light district is (P. Burgos). I don't recommend P. Burgos. It's like Patpong without the charm (heh). It's just not at all interesting to people watch or goof around in for an evening, unless you're into whoring and I'm not. Things are like that in general in Manila - much more desperate and craven.

Roxas is where cabbies will try to take you. It's the big boulevard by the bay. During the later Marcos years, Imelda's big project was to reclaim the area from the sea and turn it into a world famous seafront property area. You can see the remnants of this in the Cultural Center of the Philippines on one end and then all the run down, abandoned large hotels and clubs. When Marcos got run out of town the ice cream went to poo poo, of course. Today it's sort of like Escape From New York meets Miami's Ocean Drive. Beggars, homeless people, touts and the seediest looking bars and hotels dot the landscape. There's the occasional Hyatt or something that attempts to rise from the ashes, but overall it's horrible. Don't go unless you have word of a specific spot you need to go to, like an airline office on Roxas or a restaurant that's overlooking the bay.

Malate used to be a very cool, Bohemian area. When you start googling around for neat places to go in Manila you'll find all these descriptions of interesting sidewalk cafes and live music joints that sound very neat and Bohemian. Yeah, they're mostly gone, that's why the reviews and travel tips for them stop about 4-5 years ago. That's what was cool in Malate. Remedios Circle is still there and there are things to do, but my Pinoy friends tell me that after the base closed the whole area dried up. Malate's the erstwhile gay area, by the way, so any bar may be a gay bar. Don't be surprised.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about most of Ermita, but I gather this is where the backpackers go - it's also where there's a lively sort of seedier (but not entirely horrible) expat scene. Stuff like LA cafe is there, where you can listen to live music and beat off the hookers with a stick while you hang out with Manila's incredibly salty expat scene. Might be useful for someone else to chime in on all of this.

• Other poo poo To See Intramuros is about the only picturesque thing in Manila. Manila used to the "Pearl of the Orient" (a label applied to about ten different cities over time - from Shanghai to Bangkok), but then the entire place got mostly bombed by the allies and/or destroyed by the occupying Japanese during WW II. What got rebuilt was not so pretty as you'll find out. Intramuros, though, is left from the Spanish colonial times. It's small and it's ridiculously touristed up with the fancy horse carts (forgot the name) and the parks, but it's interesting to read the history of and it houses museums and churches and such. We wandered into one huge church in the middle of a wedding and sat up on the pipe organ balcony taking pictures of the ceremony down below. Some of that kind of thing are my better memories of Manila, frankly.

I have literally nothing else to recommend in Manila that isn't covered above in the nightlife & restaurants section. I'm not saying that doesn't mean there isn't anything else (the city's dotted with nightclubs and a few interesting restaurants) and surely someone here will have better advice than me, but my advice is GET OUT.

Fortunately it's very easy to get out. There are flights on Cebu Pacific to drat near everywhere. There are two major ferry ports that run out of Manila and take you to a bajillion places. You can catch buses out of town very cheap to nearby areas like Tagaytay or further out parts of Luzon (La Union, Mt. Pinatubo, etc) and beyond. Most of the neat stuff is not on Luzon, it's on Mindanao or Visayas. My recommendation would be to go to those islands. There ARE things on Luzon, of course, so I'm definitely not saying there aren't, but most stuff you get recommended (like Negros, Boracay, etc) is off Luzon.

• Manny/Manny Pacquiao/Pac-Man Check the international boxing schedule for a Manny fight before deciding to make a trip. It's fun to be in The Philippines for one of his fights, but you don't want to travel ON the day of the fight. Everyone who can takes the day off and everyone at work is glued to the TV, so it can be a little harder to get a taxi or whatever. Also, when anyone asks your opinion of Manny, say he is the greatest boxer of all time (which you can make an argument for actually) and that he's going to win his next fight. I'm exaggerating a little here, but not much.

• The People I do have to drop a note here that the people in Manila are by and large very nice. The people who need money from you are a problem, but that's understandable since half of everyone is desperately poor, but most of everyone else is pretty friendly. Not as insanely nice and happy as you'll find in Thailand or Laos or Cambodia, but still friendly. My friends there are real friends and my description of Manila has nothing to do with the quality of the people living there, though I could go on a rant on how employers treat workers or about the politics, heh.

Did I give a negative impression of Manila? Good. Use it as a transit point only.

I have a number of friends there and I have zero qualms with Pinoys, but most of them acknowledge that Manila is a shithole and the only reason many people go there to begin with is that there is zero opportunity in the province. People from Cebu seem to be a lot happier, for what it's worth.

The descriptions here do not at all apply to my time spent outside Manila, where I found laid back, friendly, smiling people, where it wasn't necessary for every business to be guarded by men with guns and where people weren't constantly trying to rip you off. The Philippines can be a great place and very charming, just avoid Manila (and probably Zamboanga and Sulu, heh).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 14, 2010

Astian
Jun 16, 2001

Well, I'm in Phnom Penh, just started job searching last week, but no hits yet, and I'm getting a bit antsy.

Does anyone happen to know of a Khmer class in the city? I'll ask over at khmer440 too, but I like you guys more.

Likewise, if anyone knows good places to meet people, I'd love to hear about them.
I've found some decent places by the riverside, but there's pretty much the same formula of a few cool young people passing through, bargirls, and depressing expats.

So far my best experiences in the city have been wandering aimlessly around the slums for hours. The people are generally really friendly, and will often gather me around while the one English speaker in the group practices on me. The children are also wonderful. I've also had fun exploring the peninsular area across the Japanese bridge. It's full of bizarre construction projects, schools, slums, and a little Muslim enclave.

Here are some photos taken around Phnom Penh, if anyone is curious: http://picasaweb.google.com/elindert/Cambodia2010

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Would be great to read some more stuff on the Phillippines. Think it will be my next destination in SE Asia. Too bad the Visa extension is so bloody expensive - $70 AUD for a 2 month Visa but I only want to extend the visa-free period by 5 days.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

superwofl posted:

Would be great to read some more stuff on the Phillippines. Think it will be my next destination in SE Asia. Too bad the Visa extension is so bloody expensive - $70 AUD for a 2 month Visa but I only want to extend the visa-free period by 5 days.
The visa thing is pretty easily handled by basically paying a bakshish fee. It's not like Thailand where an overstay is quasi-serious, you basically just go "yeah I overstayed" and then not only do you pay just a tiny fine, you also bypass most of the airport waiting lines. At least last I checked this is how it works.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Astian posted:

I've found some decent places by the riverside, but there's pretty much the same formula of a few cool young people passing through, bargirls, and depressing expats.

So far my best experiences in the city have been wandering aimlessly around the slums for hours.

I spent about five days in PP and that's pretty much my wholesale impression of the place. You're looking for English teaching work? I think it can be had there but you're going to have to dig around a bit. Not a ton of extra money floating around to pay teachers with after all.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

The visa thing is pretty easily handled by basically paying a bakshish fee. It's not like Thailand where an overstay is quasi-serious, you basically just go "yeah I overstayed" and then not only do you pay just a tiny fine, you also bypass most of the airport waiting lines. At least last I checked this is how it works.
Bakshish = tip/bribe? Have you done this before yourself? When did you last do it? I just don't wanna end up having to pay the overstaying fee which I read is about 1000 pesos, and then have to pay for the visa extension too which is 3000 pesos, and possibly miss my flight.

Just read this thread and it doesn't seem so positive. Looks like the rules changed a bit in 2008: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1669236

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

superwofl posted:

Bakshish = tip/bribe? Have you done this before yourself? When did you last do it? I just don't wanna end up having to pay the overstaying fee which I read is about 1000 pesos, and then have to pay for the visa extension too which is 3000 pesos, and possibly miss my flight.

Just read this thread and it doesn't seem so positive. Looks like the rules changed a bit in 2008: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1669236
Yeah, tip/bribe. It's not really a bribe as it's the official fee, but basically you pay it and then get out of any problems and it seems a little goofy. Thailand's much more strict about overstay fines, though you can pay at the airport as long as it's not egregious. The safest policy is always to get your affairs in order, that's what I'd recommend. Here's the form for the Philippines:

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/downloads/NonImmigrantVisa.pdf

3 months, $30. Probably take a day to process. The local embassy's right on the skytrain on Sukhumvit and there's probably one in your country. Because of the number of Balikbayan Pinoys working abroad there are a lot of consulates (one in every Jollibee!).

As for reality, people on expat forums LOOOOVVVVEEE to spin gloom and doom about how every little thing will land you in jail. The guy on the post you cited talking about biometrics is a typical idiot in this vein. The Thai Visa forums are a contest for how quick the local "experts" can post about how not having your passport on you at all times will lead to being throw in jail and of course they always know someone who this happened to. Rhombus might have seen it because of people he knows, but I've been here four years and have never seen even one of the worst case scenarios they carry on about. It's no different than any other forum culture, everyone's trying to sound important. There's a guy on ThornTree who tells everyone coming to Thailand to take malaria medication and argues with anyone who says otherwise. The reality of how things work is usually much different than what people harp about on these forums and my experience in The Philippines reinforces this. If you look at the question here that's much more recent you'll see more realistic sounding advice (i.e. "my lawyer told me to just pay the overstay at the airport"):

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Philippines-201/2009/11/cost-3-month-overstay-1.htm

If you come to Thailand and overstay and go to the immigration office they will flat out tell you (assuming it's under a few months) to just go pay it at the airport. As you can see, The Philippines works similarly.

So, yeah, do it the right way to be safe, but if you don't I wouldn't get too worried. Mostly it's a cost benefit thing.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Ah $30 isn't bad at all. A lot more reasonable than 3,000 pesos which is around $60-70US. Just checked the Aussie Philippino embassy and it says $30 US for a 3 month Visa too. Don't understand why it's 3,000 pesos in the Phillippines.

Would you have a rough itinerary for 26-30 days in the Philippines Reindeer? I'm thinking I'll fly into Manilla or Clarke, maybe go up to the area north of Manilla (Baguio), then make my way down to Coron and across the Islands to Palawan. Spend a couple weeks there and then go to Cebu, fly from Cebu back to Singapore. I don't want to cram lots of stuff into the trip or spend too much time on the bus/boat. I've done that too many times before - I just wanna keep it at a slow pace, be able to stay an extra couple days at a place if I meet some cool people/find a wonderful place.

Is it best to fly around between the islands or boat it? To be honest I haven't bothered to read too much about the Philippines yet I feel like a dick asking lots of questions before I've read much but I'm reading some stuff now.

Thanks!

superwofl fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 16, 2010

Fox1
Apr 30, 2004
Meh......
Just chiming in on the new thread, used the last one a lot to ask questions about my current trip.

In Vietnam at the moment and just bought a Minsk, I was going to get one in Hanoi but ended up traveling south without a bike and grabbing this in HCMC

It has it's problems but it goes, and I didn't pay a lot for it as Minsks go.

As I mentioned in the last thread someone tried to steal it from outside my hotel on the first day of owning it, that really sucked and we've experienced similar things once or twice in Vietnam which really bummed me and my girlfriend out, but then you encounter other people who completely make you forget about things like that..

Today for instance, we stopped at a garage on the outskirts of HCMC to pick up some 2 stroke oil for the bike, after fetching the oil and paying for it I got literally man handled into the room where all the oil was stored by some completely smashed locals, they sat me and my girlfriend down and handed us both a can of cold beer and just started toasting and chanting "happy new year" over and over. There was a big language barrier but it was really funny and pretty cool. It was 12 noon and these guys were hammered, in the space of 10 minutes they must have shook my hand 20 times and toasted new year 60 times. Great stuff.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

superwofl posted:

Ah $30 isn't bad at all. A lot more reasonable than 3,000 pesos which is around $60-70US. Just checked the Aussie Philippino embassy and it says $30 US for a 3 month Visa too. Don't understand why it's 3,000 pesos in the Phillippines.

Would you have a rough itinerary for 26-30 days in the Philippines Reindeer? I'm thinking I'll fly into Manilla or Clarke, maybe go up to the area north of Manilla (Baguio), then make my way down to Coron and across the Islands to Palawan. Spend a couple weeks there and then go to Cebu, fly from Cebu back to Singapore. I don't want to cram lots of stuff into the trip or spend too much time on the bus/boat. I've done that too many times before - I just wanna keep it at a slow pace, be able to stay an extra couple days at a place if I meet some cool people/find a wonderful place.

Is it best to fly around between the islands or boat it? To be honest I haven't bothered to read too much about the Philippines yet I feel like a dick asking lots of questions before I've read much but I'm reading some stuff now.

Thanks!
You know, I was there on work so much that I just don't. I always wanted to go to Negros, which has been mentioned (looked amazing, I have friends from there). Also, Davao was okay for a city, but mostly it was nearby some nice resort poo poo. You can actually take ferries from there to Indonesia via General Santos. Whole place is like that, look into the ferries.

The only thing I know to tell you that I really, really, really always wanted to do is to figure out how to rent a stay with one of those islands where they take you out by local catamaran or canoe and you're the only person on the island with the villagers. Some friends of mine could probably arrange this if you're interested. It's not a luxury thing. There are 7,000 islands in the Phils and because there's virtually no tourism there are all these islands with real villages where people are thrilled to have some foreigner show up and drop a little money and stay for the week or weekend (I don't mean that in a coarse way, but tourism's a major source of income, so if you're respectful then there's nothing wrong with showing up and dropping some cash). The whole thing sounded awesome and I really wanted to try it, never got the chance so I don't even have details.

This guy does great threads (read all his travel threads if you're headed to the Phils):

http://teakdoor.com/philippine-forum/13039-wayne-kerrs-busuanga-island-expedition-philippines.html

Sorry I can't be of more help!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 16, 2010

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fox1 posted:

As I mentioned in the last thread someone tried to steal it from outside my hotel on the first day of owning it, that really sucked and we've experienced similar things once or twice in Vietnam which really bummed me and my girlfriend out, but then you encounter other people who completely make you forget about things like that..
I tried to temper my review of Vietnam when I posted the original thread about 4 years ago, but it was the most dishonest and aggressive place I encountered in SE Asia outside The Philippines. Plenty of wonderful people and great experiences, but way more than its fair share of hucksters and ripoffs. The Philippines is probably just as bad, frankly, mostly due to English. Still, the further you get from the water in Vietnam the better everything is from what I gather. I've got friends that lived there for a decade now and they pretty much concur that it's way more aggressive, but they also enjoyed their time there and don't have any substantive complaints.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

I tried to temper my review of Vietnam when I posted the original thread about 4 years ago, but it was the most dishonest and aggressive place I encountered in SE Asia outside The Philippines. Plenty of wonderful people and great experiences, but way more than its fair share of hucksters and ripoffs. The Philippines is probably just as bad, frankly, mostly due to English. Still, the further you get from the water in Vietnam the better everything is from what I gather. I've got friends that lived there for a decade now and they pretty much concur that it's way more aggressive, but they also enjoyed their time there and don't have any substantive complaints.

When/where did you go there? I had no problems outside the touts in Hanoi, and even then they were nowhere near as bad as the ones at the major sites in Bangkok.

FloorMat
Apr 14, 2003
pwned by ipaska.com
Can I buy antibiotics over the counter in HCMC?

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Flip goon here, and ReindeerF's description of Manila is p much accurate. I lived there for 6 years and it is pretty miserable. Don't take that to apply to the rest of the islands though. For some reason poor people from the provinces just flock to big cities in search of opportunities, with sadly little means of making a living.

My family moved around a lot when I was young and I've kept up the tradition, so I've seen a lot of the islands. I'm in Cebu now, and it's ideal as a base for traveling to the surrounding islands and the rest of the Visayas and Mindanao. It's a beautiful country, and it's sad that not many locals have the perspective or economical freedom to get around and really appreciate it. Many foreign travelers I've met say the same.

In any case, I'd be happy to answer questions from anyone curious about this nutty country.

Edit: I can do a writeup if requested, but ask about a specific island or region -- there are simply too many.

fartmanteau fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for the info, Reindeer. Will look into the island village idea. edit- just read the link you gave me. Those sorta pics are the reason I wanna go to the Philippines.

Hey, nasoren. Any tips for what I should do with 26 days in the Philippines? These are the things I would like to do: trekking in the jungle, trekking in the mountains, snorkelling or maybe diving if there's anywhere really special, swim with those whale sharks at Donsol, look at pretty places, eat good food. These are the things I don't want to do: lie on a beach all day, be surrounded by tourists, try to see too much stuff in one trip. Palawan is one place I know I definitely want to see but there's so much else I don't know where to go.

I haven't booked any flights yet so I could start/finish in either Manila or Cebu. Oh yeah I'll be there during Easter, anything cool going on then? Don't a lot of people crucify themselves in the Philippines?

FloorMat posted:

Can I buy antibiotics over the counter in HCMC?
I never tried to but I stubbed my toe in Hue, went to a doctors joint to get some cotton/tape/disinfectant to put on it and the doctor there wanted to give me antibiotics. Just for a small cut. So I'd assume it'd be very easy.

Googled for you and found this: http://www.adoptvietnam.org/travel/VNclinics.htm#local%20pharmacies%20and%20antibiotics

superwofl fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 17, 2010