Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

freebooter posted:

That link also lists multiple plugs per country... is that actually the case? Before I went to Korea I heard they used both American and European, and bought both, and then never once saw an American plug anywhere in the country.

I seriously can't find a universal adaptor anywhere in this city, I'm going to try to find one in KL or Bangkok.

Yep, many countries have multiple kinds of plugs sprinkled around. Generally there is one kind of dominant plug, but then you'll be poking around and go "holy poo poo why is that American plug there...". It doesn't mean that both are always around, just that both are sometimes around. Just like the money adapters are easier to get overseas than at home in the US in my experience, even with the language barrier. If you can't communicate at all just bring your cord with you and pantomime what you need. If you do know a place in the US that has what you'll need go ahead and buy it in advance, but there are tons of cities in the US that I know for a fact don't stock anything like that.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also going to throw out Ratchada Soi 6 for the lower middle class crowd. My Chula friends refused to be seen there. :monocle:

I was going to mention Ratchadapisek Soi 4 but we're probably talking about the same place as it's big enough to span two sois. It's a big collection of small almost impromptu (but still generally nice) looking bars but the great thing about Ratchada Soi 4 is that it often has live music by Thai bands inside, the vast majority of your other going-out options in Bangkok are either DJ based or there's some cover band in there that plays exactly the same set every drat night. The only farang you're going to see on Soi 4 (Ratchada Soi 4, not the other better known Soi 4...) are ones that are studying in Bangkok and whose Thai friends took them out there (and me). It's pretty cool, you'll stick out there a bit if you're over 30, but no one really will pay you any mind anyway and if you can speak a little Thai there'll be plenty to do.

Maybe we're not though because Ratchada 6 was always a megaclub / massage area in my mind while Soi 4 is that weird mix of small bars all kind of sitting in a giant parking lot. Maybe I just never realized they were right next to eachother.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I was going to mention Ratchadapisek Soi 4 but we're probably talking about the same place as it's big enough to span two sois. It's a big collection of small almost impromptu (but still generally nice) looking bars but the great thing about Ratchada Soi 4 is that it often has live music by Thai bands inside, the vast majority of your other going-out options in Bangkok are either DJ based or there's some cover band in there that plays exactly the same set every drat night. The only farang you're going to see on Soi 4 (Ratchada Soi 4, not the other better known Soi 4...) are ones that are studying in Bangkok and whose Thai friends took them out there (and me). It's pretty cool, you'll stick out there a bit if you're over 30, but no one really will pay you any mind anyway and if you can speak a little Thai there'll be plenty to do.

Maybe we're not though because Ratchada 6 was always a megaclub / massage area in my mind while Soi 4 is that weird mix of small bars all kind of sitting in a giant parking lot. Maybe I just never realized they were right next to eachother.

Oops, poo poo, you're right, it's Soi 4. I used to live on Soi 10, closer to the massage/soapland places. Thai people thought it was the most random place to live, but I had some good friends that lived across the street from me and the area was pretty convenient to a lot of stuff.

~*Bangkok Chat*~

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oops, poo poo, you're right, it's Soi 4. I used to live on Soi 10, closer to the massage/soapland places. Thai people thought it was the most random place to live, but I had some good friends that lived across the street from me and the area was pretty convenient to a lot of stuff.

~*Bangkok Chat*~

I lived off of Satorn nigga but I been up in yo poo poo.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I'm debating whether I should go see the red shirts on Friday and try to take some photos or not. It'd be cool to see a big event like this but I don't want to lose a limb in the process. What do you Bangkok chatters think?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ringo R posted:

I'm debating whether I should go see the red shirts on Friday and try to take some photos or not. It'd be cool to see a big event like this but I don't want to lose a limb in the process. What do you Bangkok chatters think?

Do it, maybe fake a foreign press credential too and see where it gets you.

FWIW, I was listening to the radio this morning and the red shirts are pledging not to gently caress with the airport or other important infrastructure like the Yellow Shirts did. (Both sides are pretty concerned what another big screw-up like last time would do for tourist numbers.) Dunno if it'll actually pan out like that, but that's what they're saying at least.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Is there ever any Taiwan travel discussion in this thread? I've been checking it the past few weeks but haven't noticed any yet!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

khysanth posted:

Is there ever any Taiwan travel discussion in this thread? I've been checking it the past few weeks but haven't noticed any yet!

It is possible to ask Taiwan questions, you know. I lived in Taipei for two months but didn't do a lot of traveling outside of the city.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
We're in Bangkok at the moment and at a bit of a loss as to what to do regarding travelling around. Our original plans for the next couple of days were:

Friday March 12th - check out of our Bangkok hotel, take a bus from the Thonburi bus terminal to Kanchanaburi and spend the night there
Saturday March 13th - take a bus back into Bangkok, and catch an overnight train down to Surat Thani from Hualamphong station

With these protests starting tomorrow, we're a bit worried about being able to get back into Bangkok to catch our overnight train. Tickets are already booked, and we can't change the dates of the ticket (to Friday) because that train is sold out. Our two options at the moment are:

1) Stay in Bangkok for an extra night, somewhere near Hualamphong, lie low and take the overnight train on Saturday as planned
2) Go to Kanchanaburi (it might be difficult to get to the bus terminal but I'm sure we would eventually get there), but change our train ticket so we'd be able to hop on at Nakhon Pathom instead of having to go back into Bangkok.

What would you guys (Ringo R, Pompous, Sheep-Goats etc) recommend of these two? I'm a bit leery of being in Bangkok on the weekend. What is the likelihood of the trains being disrupted in your opinion? If the trains don't run then I guess we're hosed no matter which of those two options we take.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SonicDefiance posted:

We're in Bangkok at the moment and at a bit of a loss as to what to do regarding travelling around. Our original plans for the next couple of days were:

Friday March 12th - check out of our Bangkok hotel, take a bus from the Thonburi bus terminal to Kanchanaburi and spend the night there
Saturday March 13th - take a bus back into Bangkok, and catch an overnight train down to Surat Thani from Hualamphong station

With these protests starting tomorrow, we're a bit worried about being able to get back into Bangkok to catch our overnight train. Tickets are already booked, and we can't change the dates of the ticket (to Friday) because that train is sold out. Our two options at the moment are:

1) Stay in Bangkok for an extra night, somewhere near Hualamphong, lie low and take the overnight train on Saturday as planned
2) Go to Kanchanaburi (it might be difficult to get to the bus terminal but I'm sure we would eventually get there), but change our train ticket so we'd be able to hop on at Nakhon Pathom instead of having to go back into Bangkok.

What would you guys (Ringo R, Pompous, Sheep-Goats etc) recommend of these two? I'm a bit leery of being in Bangkok on the weekend. What is the likelihood of the trains being disrupted in your opinion? If the trains don't run then I guess we're hosed no matter which of those two options we take.

Relax buddy, busses go down to Surat Thani too. If your train gets hosed just find a bus, go to Khao San if you have to, or the Southern Bus Terminal. You'll be able to get down there. Instead of being worried look at it as an opportunity to see a little living politics -- who knows, it might turn out that you're in Bangkok for the equivalent of the Berlin wall coming down (though probably not).

It's Thailand. Do what you want, roll with the punches when they come. In your position I'd stick to my original plan and hope it worked out fine (which is probably will 80 to 85% of the time as far as I can guess). If it didn't, gently caress it man I can find a bus.

You're not in any physical danger so chill out and enjoy the goings on if it comes to you being stuck in Bangkok for an extra day while you figure out a roundabout way down to your island.

When you get into Kanchanaburi ask your guesthouse operator if there are busses that go directly from Kanchanaburi to Surat Thani. It's unlikely that anyone outside of the Kanchanaburi bus station would know this (Thailand...), so encourage her to call them and ask. If it turns out that there aren't busses (or that they don't run on that particular day) oh well back to plan A.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 11, 2010

KayBelle
May 4, 2006
Yeah.
Anyone in Bangkok the next couple of weeks? I'm there by myself and wouldn't mind a bit of company...

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
SonicDefiance: Perhaps a bit late to reply now but not sure why you want to go to Kanchanaburi for just one day. According to what I've read, the main demonstration will take place on Sunday so you might still be ok on Saturday. I could be completely wrong though and Bangkok might be hosed already by Friday. I have to agree a bit with Sheep-Goats too, it'd be way more cool to tell your friends you were in Bangkok seeing the city go down in flames rather than "we were in Kanchanaburi hurf durf :holy:" :) I'll be checking out the red shirts gathering tomorrow and hopefully post a picture or two.

KayBelle: Where will you be staying? Khao San road is probably the best place to meet fellow travellers.

i see things
Dec 26, 2008
I'm going to try to find a red shirt rally as well. I'll go to Bangkok Bank on Silom and maybe Victory Monument.

On the otherhand, my girlfriend's nephew is thinking of joining the red-shirt rally because apparently they are paying 500 baht for joining the protest. How they pay out - I have no idea. It's probably a bunch of bullshit.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009

i see things posted:

On the otherhand, my girlfriend's nephew is thinking of joining the red-shirt rally because apparently they are paying 500 baht for joining the protest. How they pay out - I have no idea. It's probably a bunch of bullshit.

If it's like an Indonesian protest they'll pay when he gets on the bus to go.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Is it possible to ride the Bolaven loop during the rainy season (September)? I don't mind getting soaked, but I'd like to move faster than 5 km/h and avoid getting buried alive in fine Laotian soil.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

kenner116 posted:

Is it possible to ride the Bolaven loop during the rainy season (September)? I don't mind getting soaked, but I'd like to move faster than 5 km/h and avoid getting buried alive in fine Laotian soil.

A decent chunk of it is unsealed or pothole-speckled roads, but I rode it in late August and it was okay. You might want to grab a Honda XR250/Baja (250cc enduro) in Pakse if you're not already riding, I think they go for $20/day or so. Scooters kinda suck because you're often weaving in and out of holes and such and grimacing every time you take a 2-3" drop, with a proper suspension you can just :black101: right over everything.

For rain I recommend splurging on a really nice rain suit ($7-10), I kept shredding the cheap ones just from moving around on an almost daily basis, but after I bought a decent one I was fine from then on out.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A handy map for locating red shirts, courtesy of The Nation

VV - I'll be anyones effortless friend for three big bottles of Singha :)

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 11, 2010

KayBelle
May 4, 2006
Yeah.
Ringo, I'm just staying a couple of minutes walk from Khaosan Rd.. I know Bangkok well enough, I've been there a few times, was just hoping there might be a few effortless friends to be made :)

Astian
Jun 16, 2001

Ringo R posted:

I say go for it, but then I dream of being a war journalist.

Seriously though, I think your chances of being injured are extremely slim. In all likelihood the danger will probably be on the same level as being on a crowded dance floor. You might get an accidental elbow here and there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey they're going across the river to Wongwian Yai? Bangkae gunna be hosed.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, but it's annoying me at the moment: How easy is it to find cheap rear end umbrellas around? Should I bother bringing a light rain jacket?

I'll be going all over SE Asia from mid March to early May and I'm assuming I'll hit the occasional shower. I hate umbrellas, but it seems like a jacket would be uncomfortable in hot, humid weather. I've got everything else covered, but since this is the last thing, it's annoying me much more than it should :/

edit: Also, do you backpackers bring a bunch of dollars or get money whenever you need it from an ATM? A friend of mine who is coming along on the trip is going to carry around 600 dollars and that seems pretty drat stupid to me. I'm guessing most tourist areas take dollars, but I can never loving relax when I have that much on me. I'm definitely going to bring some "O poo poo, the machine ate my card" emergency dollars, but I don't know about turning myself into a minibank.

moflika fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 12, 2010

i see things
Dec 26, 2008

moflika posted:

Dumb question, but it's annoying me at the moment: How easy is it to find cheap rear end umbrellas around? Should I bother bringing a light rain jacket?

I'll be going all over SE Asia from mid March to early May and I'm assuming I'll hit the occasional shower. I hate umbrellas, but it seems like a jacket would be uncomfortable in hot, humid weather. I've got everything else covered, but since this is the last thing, it's annoying me much more than it should :/

It doesn't rain enough to bring an umbrella. I wouldn't worry much about it if I were you.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

moflika posted:

Depending on where you are going, you will often get torrential rain, but it clears up quickly and the sun will soon dry off any wet clothes, (Still, wear quick drying clothes instead of jeans). In built-up areas you are never far from a cafe/mall/restaurant/bar so the best thing to do is just chill in one of those for about an hour until it's all clear.

If you are going to anywhere that is celebrating Songkran in April, you WILL also get soaked. In that case the only thing you should worry about is protecting your valuables in plastic bags.

quote:

edit: Also, do you backpackers bring a bunch of dollars or get money whenever you need it from an ATM? A friend of mine who is coming along on the trip is going to carry around 600 dollars and that seems pretty drat stupid to me. I'm guessing most tourist areas take dollars, but I can never loving relax when I have that much on me. I'm definitely going to bring some "O poo poo, the machine ate my card" emergency dollars, but I don't know about turning myself into a minibank.

You are right: taking 600 dollars is pretty drat stupid. There are ATMs everywhere in Thailand, and probably in most major areas throughout South East Asia. Your friend shouldn't expect everywhere to accept USD. Big tourist hotels will take $$$, but the average person will expect local currency. Also, he will probably end up being screwed by exchange rates.

illionaire
Apr 18, 2005

It's all about the
Yenjamins,
baby
Leaving tomorrow to Siem Reap. I'll try to post a trip report when I get back.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

moflika posted:

I took a compact umbrella with me when I went to SE Asia, I didn't need it much but it hardly took up any space so it was fine. Th only time I really needed it was when I was in Kunming (South China), it rained non-stop for about 3 days and was quite cold so I was in trousers and warm clothes with an umbrella. Also Da Lat in Vietnam was quiet wet and I needed it there. Don't bring a coat though, it's too bulky and too warm.

Also ATMs are everywhere, don't worry about taking loads of money. I went travelling in 2007 and there were loads, I imagine there are even more now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

But when you're withdrawing local currency you'll get hit by both the exchange rate and your bank's fee for withdrawing overseas (even here in Australia I have to pay $2 just for the privilege of using another bank's ATM). So you want to withdraw in bulk. Not $600 bulk, but definitely $200 or $300 at a time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

freebooter posted:

But when you're withdrawing local currency you'll get hit by both the exchange rate and your bank's fee for withdrawing overseas (even here in Australia I have to pay $2 just for the privilege of using another bank's ATM). So you want to withdraw in bulk. Not $600 bulk, but definitely $200 or $300 at a time.

Yeah, the max for me (not sure if it was my bank account or the Thai bank account) was 10,000 baht, which is roughly $300. That's a pretty decent amount.

I also usually keep $100 and $50 hidden separately throughout my stuff, as "just in case" money.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moflika posted:

Don't bring an umbrella. In most of the region this is how the rain works: Every day during the rainy season at exactly 2:45 it suddenly starts absolutely flooding down for exactly an hour (you'll know it's coming because Thai people start rushing out of shops with big patio umbrellas to protect whatever it is they're selling on the side of the street), then it suddenly stops. This is the kind of rain that an umbrella is helpless against, and the other 23 hours in the day it doesn't rain at all. The time of day it rains shifts a little depending on how far north/south you are, but the pattern is the same in almost all of SE Asia (if you're talking Singapore south sometimes you get rain that goes all day, but again this is often the kind of rain that would just trash an umbrella anyway).

You'll be able to buy rain slickers and umbrellas once there (if you're in an area where an umbrella does any good). You'll also be able to see Thai people walking around with plastic bags on their heads to keep the rain off. Even during the rainy season the rain is a non-issue (unless you're on a motorcycle I guess), the only precaution you need to take against it is a couple of garbage bags at the bottom of your pack. One is to throw over your pack if you're stuck outside in the rain, the other is for you to poke head and arm holes in if you're stuck outside in it. Should never come to that, though.

As for the money I've done both but the smart thing to do is just bring an ATM card and withdraw decent chunks of money as you go.

Finally 600 bucks ain't that much to be carrying around. I don't really leave the house here in New York without 150 in my wallet and I used to carry like 4k in cash down to AC to play poker with pretty regularly. It's hard to imagine doing that when you're just out of college and you've never held 400 bucks in your hands at one time in your life before, but you get used to it. He better not carry all of it in one place though, should be split up in two places plus wallet.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 12, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Don't bring an umbrella. In most of the region this is how the rain works: Every day during the rainy season at exactly 2:45 it suddenly starts absolutely flooding down for exactly an hour (you'll know it's coming because Thai people start rushing out of shops with umbrellas to protect whatever it is they're selling on the side of the street), then it suddenly stops. This is the kind of rain that an umbrella is helpless against, and the other 23 hours in the day it doesn't rain at all. The time of day it rains shifts a little depending on how far north/south you are, but the pattern is the same in almost all of SE Asia (if you're talking Singapore south sometimes you get rain that goes all day, but again this is often the kind of rain that would just trash an umbrella anyway).

You'll be able to buy rain slickers and umbrellas once there (if you're in an area where an umbrella does any good). You'll also be able to see Thai people walking around with plastic bags on their heads to keep the rain off. Even during the rainy season the rain is a non-issue (unless you're on a motorcycle I guess), the only precaution you need to take against it is a couple of garbage bags at the bottom of your pack. One is to throw over your pack if you're stuck outside in the rain, the other is for you to poke head and arm holes in if you're stuck outside in it. Should never come to that, though.

Yep, this is solid advice. On a motorcycle, I'd either put on my rain slickers and ride if I felt up to it, or pull over at the first building/bus stop and wait it out for 30-60 minutes. (There are lots of little open-sided thatched huts on the sides of main roads where people wait for buses/songthaews/whatevers).

I used empty rice sacks I bought at a market to add an extra layer of waterproofing to my saddlebags, they're a bit more robust than plastic garbage bags and make cool souvenirs/laundry bags.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO4fBTskYE
Only 23 views as I post this (though it's two days old). As of then nothing big happening yet, first protesters showing up in Bangkok. I can't find any fresher video yet, but that's likely because it's 2AM in Thailand right now. There should be tons of new stuff up come this evening (which will be morning in Thailand).

[Embedding disabled going to have to click twice OMG THE EFFORT]

A fairly recent article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7059353.ece

To stay up to date the best place to go is the Bangkok Post, which is home to a startlingly large number of world class journalists and is probably one of the best newspapers out there: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/171214/protesters-spread-across-the-capital

A hotline has been set up for tourists who are inconvenienced by the rally. Call 1672 from any Thai phone and you'll get connected. Rally efforts most likely to impact tourists are concentrated on major roads and intersections, trains should still be running fine, busses may be delayed. If you want to look around the capitol today and tomorrow I recommend you take motorcycle taxis and should probably avoid wearing a red, yellow or pink shirt. This is a great time to be in Bangkok, so if you're there get out and see what's going on! Don't be a chickenshit motherfucker!

Only serious trouble so far has been in Surat Thani province (down in the South) where the resident Muslim separatists (probably) have set off five bombs. This is likely to be totally unrelated to the Red Shirts, and more a crime of opportunity. This kind of bullshit has been going on in the south for a decade now, and at its root is supported by Saudi money and propaganda in small Muslim schools in the south, though the South has a legit beef with the Central Thai government as they don't get their share of what should come to them (nor does any other province apart from those that the capital sits in) especially considering that probably Thailand's biggest tourist attractions are islands Samui, Phangan and Tao which are all technically a part of Surat Thani province (but which have never had bomb problems so it's okay to go there). http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/171223/five-bombs-explode-in-surat-thani

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used empty rice sacks I bought at a market to add an extra layer of waterproofing to my saddlebags, they're a bit more robust than plastic garbage bags and make cool souvenirs/laundry bags.

I recently bought an apron made out of one of those for my girlfriend here in the US for 15 bucks :3:

raton fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2010

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

EVERYONE posted:

:words: advice :words:

Thanks, it's always nice when I can spend less money and do the right thing :cool: I'm pretty used to ATM fees after living in Norway for a bit, so that should be nothing new.

Looks like I'll miss all the political fun by the time I get to Thailand. Tis a shame...

moflika fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 12, 2010

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Man, looking at SE asia cell phone providers is kind of hilarious. So much engrish and nonsensical stuff.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

If you're in Thailand, just don't go with 1-2-call! Got back into the country a few weeks ago to find that it kept continually sending me messages saying I was out of credit (like, hundreds of messages), which also ate up any new credit that I bought. DTAC <3

Sheep-goats - heard a rumour that bomb(s) were found at Chitlom? Confirm/deny?

i see things
Dec 26, 2008

brendanwor posted:

If you're in Thailand, just don't go with 1-2-call! Got back into the country a few weeks ago to find that it kept continually sending me messages saying I was out of credit (like, hundreds of messages), which also ate up any new credit that I bought. DTAC <3

Sheep-goats - heard a rumour that bomb(s) were found at Chitlom? Confirm/deny?

Not true. Or at least it hasn't been reported to any news agencies. I work in Chitlom. I still have work. I've had the news on for 3 hours, no reports outside of the Surat bombs.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

moflika posted:

Rain concerns

March to May is also typically summer weather in the region, so rain should be minimal even then.

You could probably get away with buying a cheapass folding umbrella once you're there, if you want to be 100% sure.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

A hotline has been set up for tourists who are inconvenienced by the rally. Call 1672 from any Thai phone and you'll get connected.
God I wish I was in the country. Someone call this and report back just for giggles. "Press 1 for mai pen rai."

EDIT: On a side note, I fly home to Bangkok on Thursday/Friday so I really hope they don't get out of control and gently caress that up. I know they're saying they'll keep it civil, but who knows once things get going.

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.

KayBelle posted:

Anyone in Bangkok the next couple of weeks? I'm there by myself and wouldn't mind a bit of company...

I am coming back through at least for 2 nights. Will arrive tomorrow. Probably stay on Kho Sahn I think. All these beach resorts or full of german families, and I think i need some young retarded people to hang out with. Either that or a nice 4 star hotel, haven't decided. I think my bust arrives at some stupid time like 6am.

I want to check out the protests, but I assuming they will be mostly done after today.

Got food poisining really bad in Tonsai staying in the most ghetto bungalow, and haven't recovered yet. Then got sun burned pretty bad with sun stroke yesterday. So not in tip top shape at all.

da keebsta knicca fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 14, 2010

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuck, trip starts tomorrow and I just realized that I may not have enough pages left on my passport for the entire trip :suicide:

edit: Eh, no biggie. Looks like I can just get more pages free of charge at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh.

moflika fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 14, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

moflika posted:

Fuuuuuck, trip starts tomorrow and I just realized that I may not have enough pages left on my passport for the entire trip :suicide:

edit: Eh, no biggie. Looks like I can just get more pages free of charge at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh.

Yeah, or any US Embassy/consulate, they do it while you wait. Bring a book or something in case it's crowded.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I just booked a flight from Melbourne to Bangkok for $330-ish, departing in early December. I'm going with a few friends for another dive trip, with most time to be spent on Koh Tao (we've been there before). The plan is to start in the north and see Chiang Mai, Pai, and Mae Hong Son, before heading somewhere on the west coast to dive for a week or so, and then moving on to Koh Tao.

Does anyone have suggestions for good diving islands off the west coast of Thailand? We're as keen to party as we are to dive, but since we can do that on Koh Tao I suspect we'll be more interested in the diving.

I've checked out Wikitravel and so far Koh Lipe looks good, but... any suggestions are welcome. We don't want to leave Thailand as we'll have a 60 day single entry visa.

khysanth posted:

I was in Taiwan a few weeks ago and it was awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Steve. posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for good diving islands off the west coast of Thailand? We're as keen to party as we are to dive, but since we can do that on Koh Tao I suspect we'll be more interested in the diving.

I've checked out Wikitravel and so far Koh Lipe looks good, but... any suggestions are welcome. We don't want to leave Thailand as we'll have a 60 day single entry visa.

I don't dive, but I went to Lipe last week and did some snorkeling and the water was amazingly clear. I just came back from Railey two days ago and I didn't do anything of the sort, but it seems like there were quite a few different groups offering diving tours of a bunch of islands in the area. I don't think you could go wrong with Lipe. There are a bunch of islands in that group too.