Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

Last night in Hua Hin was such a bust. I ended up getting stupidly overdressed...
I see things went off the rails early. What are you, a Swedish tourist? Getting dressed up in Hua Hin? Come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

There is no such thing as overdressed, just sometimes other people feel bad because they're underdressed.

Although this is coming from a guy who was drunkenly watching Iran/Argentina this morning in a red waistcoat.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Sometimes girls just like to feel pretty, okay? Even in Southeast Asia.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Haven't been to the Hua Hin floating market, but it looks suspiciously identical to Plern Wan

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Alan_Shore posted:

So I'm now living in Phnom Penh. If there's any goons around let me know! It would be good to have some local knowledge and tips. Can't wait for the Aeon mall to open.

Hey cool, another PP goon! I've been stupidly busy recently but can probably go for a bite to eat or something if you're about at the weekend? Shoot me a PM if you fancy it.

duckmaster posted:

There is a Burger King at the airport in PP, only one in Cambodia! I highly do not recommend the mushroom burger.

There is another one in BKK1 now. Mike's burger house is still better though.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Chair Huxtable posted:

Also, three goons in Hua Hin right now? I thought the crowds looked a little creepier than usual last night.

I was in Hua Hin with ~•my girlfriend•~ on the weekend. Went to the concert in the park thing and to the farang bar area by the Hilton. I cleverly got into an argument and ended up alone at 1am eating onion rings at Burger King. Felt just like home.

After convincing her to let me in the car the next day, I missed my Sunday night flight. Roadworks are apparently the Thai national pastime. Protip: if you think 3.5 hours is enough time add more time because this is Bangkok, gently caress you, I'm out like $600. Oh and teerak lost her phone.

Hua Hin 10/10 would go again 55555

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHKo2cBuLw

At about eight seconds in she starts speaking Thai the way Americans speak Thai. Like when we type kaaaaaaaaaaaaa 55555 in the forums (that work)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
http://bit.ly/1lraSTu

I assume you'll all be there.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Well, drop me an email and the next time you come to hua hin and pick a fight with your girlfriend, you can call me. If it is a weekend, I can guarantee I am still drinking somewhere, unless it's already past 3, and then it's a 50/50 shot.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Quick question for anyone familiar with Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Do passengers travelling with Malaysia Airlines to some other country, but with a layover in KLIA have to go through immigration etc while changing flights? Or is there a transfer desk before that?

Normally I transit through Changi, but my TigerAir flight got cancelled after TigerAir Mandala shut down, so had to book MH flights.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

http://bit.ly/1lraSTu

I assume you'll all be there.

why are they saying +1 and not 'me missus'

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Anarkii posted:

Quick question for anyone familiar with Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Do passengers travelling with Malaysia Airlines to some other country, but with a layover in KLIA have to go through immigration etc while changing flights? Or is there a transfer desk before that?

Normally I transit through Changi, but my TigerAir flight got cancelled after TigerAir Mandala shut down, so had to book MH flights.

As far as I know, you shouldn't go through immigration unless you're leaving the main terminal.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

why are they saying +1 and not 'me missus'
I'm hoping it's because I've been ridiculing the concept for so long in forums and on facebook in the community that they've finally become embarrassed, but the real reason is probably that it takes less mashed keys to type out.

FYI: Apparently, at the moment anyway, they're checking tourists at at least the Malaysia border crossings for cash on hand (or provable via ATM slip from outside immigration) to the tune of 10K for stamp, 20K for tourist visas or 40K for others. Sounds loony, but there have been multiple internet people reports. I'll post again if I hear more one way or the other.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 26, 2014

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

FYI: Apparently, at the moment anyway, they're checking tourists at at least the Malaysia border crossings for cash on hand (or provable via ATM slip from outside immigration) to the tune of 10K for stamp, 20K for tourist visas or 40K for others. Sounds loony, but there have been multiple internet people reports. I'll post again if I hear more one way or the other.

I've heard the same. The various Koh Tao groups on Facebook are going nuts with it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

I'm hoping it's because I've been ridiculing the concept for so long in forums and on facebook in the community that they've finally become embarrassed, but the real reason is probably that it takes less mashed keys to type out.

THB?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Reportedly - or equivalent in another currency.

Bonus points for the first person to bring in the equivalent in kip or riel or dong.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Christ that's good to know. I don't have an account accessible by ATM. I guess I'll need cash on hand the next time I come through.

Edit: Is this land crossing or at airports?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Just as an anecdote, I crossed from Malaysia to Thailand about a week ago or so and didn't have to show anything. This was a flight from KL to Phuket.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Reportedly - or equivalent in another currency.

Bonus points for the first person to bring in the equivalent in kip or riel or dong.

How the gently caress can someone fail to have 40k THB in a bank account somewhere. Or are people upset because immigration is dinging them while not letting them go to the ATM that's right over there (which would be dumb but immigration is usually dumb so eh).

Saw that today without any explanation intact. It's Malaysia, anyone know the story?

raton fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 26, 2014

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Sheep-Goats posted:

How the gently caress can someone fail to have 40k THB in a bank account somewhere. Or are people upset because immigration is dinging them while not letting them go to the ATM that's right over there (which would be dumb but immigration is usually dumb so eh).

Saw that today without any explanation intact. It's Malaysia, anyone know the story?

Saw that today without any explanation intact.

It's Malaysia.

Nothing special, just a bus that fell into a monsoon drain. Happened in Penang today.
More photos here:

mrg220t fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What would the 40k be? People who don't qualify for a landing visa but didn't get a tourist visa ahead of time?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

What would the 40k be? People who don't qualify for a landing visa but didn't get a tourist visa ahead of time?

Business or non-b visa?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Chair Huxtable posted:

Well, drop me an email and the next time you come to hua hin and pick a fight with your girlfriend, you can call me. If it is a weekend, I can guarantee I am still drinking somewhere, unless it's already past 3, and then it's a 50/50 shot.

Should I be worried about your custom title?

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

How can something like this even happen unless the driver was unconscious?

I don't want to leave Siem Reap but flight out to Japan on the 18th so gotta get a move on :(. The 50c beers, $1 whiskeys and cigars lifestyle is too addictive.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm concerned for the driver in that photo. I couldn't see any nearby bushes for him to run off into.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

5 bucks says he swam away in the filthy water.

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
In the vein of "it's Malaysia" - today got to witness a bit of logging. Fellows beside a minor road cutting a tree. Just stopped to watch out of curiosity, stood where someone pointed us to, well out of the way. Plenty of motor bikes going past but figured, oh they will warn them when the tree is about to fall.

Nope, tree falls directly towards us and the Malaysian folks. We sprint out of the way and turn around to see the tree crash down on the road, clipping a motor bike. If they had been a foot back it would have been the crown of the tree slamming into driver and passengers head.

Great experience, Cameron Highlands super recommend!

(Seriously, 70 degrees and beautiful hikes)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

cent0r posted:

How can something like this even happen unless the driver was unconscious?

I don't want to leave Siem Reap but flight out to Japan on the 18th so gotta get a move on :(. The 50c beers, $1 whiskeys and cigars lifestyle is too addictive.

Were you out last night? If you saw some idiot suffering from food poisoning and drunkeness wearing a tshirt explaining the Khmer alphabet that was me.

Also my face was painted as the American flag, that was probably the most distinctive thing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hogg_wsEMJ0&t=140s

raton fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 28, 2014

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Well it looks like I got a job at a hostel in Ao Nang completely out of the blue so I'll be in Thailand for the next 3 months or so. If any of you make it down here send me a PM or something.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ragaduffin posted:

In the vein of "it's Malaysia" - today got to witness a bit of logging. Fellows beside a minor road cutting a tree. Just stopped to watch out of curiosity, stood where someone pointed us to, well out of the way. Plenty of motor bikes going past but figured, oh they will warn them when the tree is about to fall.

Nope, tree falls directly towards us and the Malaysian folks. We sprint out of the way and turn around to see the tree crash down on the road, clipping a motor bike. If they had been a foot back it would have been the crown of the tree slamming into driver and passengers head.

Great experience, Cameron Highlands super recommend!

(Seriously, 70 degrees and beautiful hikes)

If they didn't cut that tree down it could've fallen on someone...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When I lived in Malaysia, our house was on a hill underneath an orphanage or something with a massive retaining wall holding the rest of the hill up above us. During some heavy rains in the summer, a good quarter of the wall collapsed into our backyard bringing down dirt, trees, and general rubble. Fortunately this was the end segment of the wall and not the middle. That would have collapsed directly into our house. Instead, we had a good debris field in the backyard for a few days until someone came out to clean it up. For the rest of the time we lived there, they never rebuilt the section that collapsed nor reinforced the section that remained.

This occurred in the same neighborhood that had a pair of abandoned apartment buildings. When asked why there were two abandoned apartment buildings, we were told, "There used to be three."

Edit:
Holy poo poo the apartment story actually has a Wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Towers_collapse
Edit2:
That whole area keeps collapsing. I wonder if the house I lived in is even still there of it eventually got swept away?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 28, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That Wiki article is hilarious. I love that it includes "The Highland Towers were notorious in the 1980s and early 1990s for being a popular spot for the wealthy people to hide their mistresses." Southeastasia.txt.

A friend of mine, American, was born and raised overseas in Africa as his parents were involved in NGOs. He met his wife there and married her and they lived overseas in various places like Bhutan, Malaysia, Thailand and several other places and he basically consults with developing governments in improving services and things. He's a super-nice guy. He just finished a multi-year contract down in the Malay archipelago and returned to Bangkok. I asked him about working Malaysia and he said, "Most Westerners who have worked in Southeast Asia first assume it's actually fantastic, because it appears really orderly and people speak pretty good English. Especially coming from Thailand you think, 'Wow this place really is so functional.' then you actually have to work there for a while and you realize how incredibly crippling the corruption is and it's astounding to you that a place that seems to work so much better actually works worse."

I haven't spent much time in Malaysia, a month or so in total, but I found it an interesting take. This isn't a guy who just sits in a condo in KL either, he's all over the country on different aspects of projects and he's a legit fascinating and open-minded guy.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

AirAsia always have really cheap flights to KL but I can't see it ever becoming much of a holiday destination. The best time I had in the three days I was there was when I went to Bukit Bintang with a bottle of Chivas I got at the airport.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

ReindeerF posted:

That Wiki article is hilarious. I love that it includes "The Highland Towers were notorious in the 1980s and early 1990s for being a popular spot for the wealthy people to hide their mistresses." Southeastasia.txt.

A friend of mine, American, was born and raised overseas in Africa as his parents were involved in NGOs. He met his wife there and married her and they lived overseas in various places like Bhutan, Malaysia, Thailand and several other places and he basically consults with developing governments in improving services and things. He's a super-nice guy. He just finished a multi-year contract down in the Malay archipelago and returned to Bangkok. I asked him about working Malaysia and he said, "Most Westerners who have worked in Southeast Asia first assume it's actually fantastic, because it appears really orderly and people speak pretty good English. Especially coming from Thailand you think, 'Wow this place really is so functional.' then you actually have to work there for a while and you realize how incredibly crippling the corruption is and it's astounding to you that a place that seems to work so much better actually works worse."

I haven't spent much time in Malaysia, a month or so in total, but I found it an interesting take. This isn't a guy who just sits in a condo in KL either, he's all over the country on different aspects of projects and he's a legit fascinating and open-minded guy.

As a Malaysian I can confirm that this is so true especially if you are dealing with government. The level of corruption when dealing with the govt here is mind boggling.
Every senior govt official have their "preferred" vendor and you have to use them or get into a "partnership" with them where you do all the work and they get a cut of the profit.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Isn't it like that everywhere in SEA though?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Isn't it like that everywhere in SEA though?
Yeah, in much the same way that all Westerners everywhere are fat.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, in much the same way that all Westerners everywhere are fat.

You're comparing something that has visible statistics to endemic corruption in Asia? Granted though, corruption at the government level is generalized to the entire planet IMO.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You're saying, "Well if one country is corrupt then they're all equally corrupt?" See my point? Singapore is corrupt as gently caress in its own special way, but manages a Hell of a lot of transparency and effective governance in other ways without infringing too harshly on freedoms. Is it the same as Cambodia because they're both in Southeast Asia? No, of course not. Malaysia and Thailand are both hilariously corrupt and I currently live under a plutocratic monarchy-military junta dictatorship, I have no illusions, but that doesn't mean it's all identical.

also vietnam sux lol 555 gb2ca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm not saying they're all the same, I'm saying all governments are corrupt in some way.

Also, Vietnam owns and I miss it so much. I'm moving to the Cayman Islands in three weeks though. One day... One day I'll go back to 'Nam.