Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Strong Sauce posted:

what happened in phuket?

A Swiss rear end in a top hat kicked a woman sitting on the bottom of the stairs leading from the villa he rented to the beach. The steps were encroaching on public land and had previously been asked to be removed by the city, and this wasn't the first time he had had conflicts with people on the steps. His Thai wife says he doesn't need to apologize because he's a farang and farang don't need to apologize to Thais. He said it was fine because he didn't know the woman was a Thai doctor and he thought she was Chinese.

Thai media is having a field day with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Atlas Hugged posted:

A Swiss rear end in a top hat kicked a woman sitting on the bottom of the stairs leading from the villa he rented to the beach. The steps were encroaching on public land and had previously been asked to be removed by the city, and this wasn't the first time he had had conflicts with people on the steps. His Thai wife says he doesn't need to apologize because he's a farang and farang don't need to apologize to Thais. He said it was fine because he didn't know the woman was a Thai doctor and he thought she was Chinese.

yo wtf

quote:

He said it was fine because he didn't know the woman was a Thai doctor and he thought she was Chinese.

also lmao that all this has gotten everyone's stairs dug up from the properties along that area. lmao even if he survives not getting deported his neighbors will hate him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Atlas Hugged posted:

incredible genuine lmao at this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Also here's a threadreader for the Bangkok thing for those of you sane enough to not have a twitter account

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1765002618773164043.html

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also here's a threadreader for the Bangkok thing for those of you sane enough to not have a twitter account

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1765002618773164043.html

This Country is awesome please take me back.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Last I heard, he was deported. I guess his connection wasn't as strong as he thought it'd be. Most connections don't survive media shitstorm, especially as big as this one, I find.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I don't think he is. He's being investigated and the woman he kicked is suing. How is she going to collect on anything if he's already deported?

Edit: of course after i say that i read a news article saying they're requesting he gets deported.. but still, not yet!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Apparently this was also news...

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/03/...aurant-bangkok/

quote:

Bangkok—
On March 1st, 2024, Samran Rat police officers summoned a man who allegedly dined and dashed from Jay Fai Pratu Phee restaurant in Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, for interrogation regarding the incident.
The man in suspect, whose name was withheld by the police, was a former local government official. After a 30-minute police interrogation, the man apologized face-to-face to Jay Fai, the owner of the famous One-Michelin-Star restaurant. He also complimented her delicious Beef Pad Gra Prow.

The man reportedly told the police that he did not impersonate a police officer as the restaurant posted on social media. He simply had a memory disorder and forgot to pay the bills. According to Thai national media, he allegedly had never dined and dashed before.

Jay Fai publicly revealed that she would not file a legal report against the man as he is a Thai person and it was the first time that a Thai person had ever done this.

Furthermore, the restaurant would intensify the measures on collecting customer bills.

However, the police were under investigation to determine whether the man would be facing charges of impersonating a police officer or not.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Strong Sauce posted:

I don't think he is. He's being investigated and the woman he kicked is suing. How is she going to collect on anything if he's already deported?

Edit: of course after i say that i read a news article saying they're requesting he gets deported.. but still, not yet!

Ah I see. Look like it's just business visa that won't be renewed, but he's still in the country (as suspect of a crime).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also this week, an entirely different Swiss guy beat the tar out of an old woman in a grocery store. She's currently hospitalized and may need a month to recover.

Her crime: she called him rude when he pushed her out of the way in a grocery store.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also this week, an entirely different Swiss guy beat the tar out of an old woman in a grocery store. She's currently hospitalized and may need a month to recover.

Her crime: she called him rude when he pushed her out of the way in a grocery store.

What a grub. Was he on drugs?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

What about the British Farang who threw a glass at a woman petting a dog because the dog was being too noisy.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/british-man-throws-glass-at-thai-woman-in-anger-over-dog-barking

Mr. Sam negotiated with Ms. Amawalee and agreed to compensate her 18,000 baht for medical expenses. He expressed remorse and also apologized to the public through the press, affirming his love for Thailand and promising he will never commit such actions again.
https://thepattayanews.com/2024/03/...-to-compensate/

There is a video that I can't find anymore. He is obviously drunk and angry and says he'll pay.. but says drunkenly, "2 million, 3 million.. loving idiot" or something to that affect... got a bunch of people angry over it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 7, 2024

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Thanks for the Bangkok food recommendations. We'll probably not range too far afield as it's just a flying visit, but if we were there longer we are exactly the kind of food wankers who would make a long trip to go to an obscure restaurant on a swamp.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Followup to the Swede who kicked the doctor (now nicknamed Doctor Kicker now in Thai News sites in English)

1. Was involved in a road rage incident in Dec. where he flipped off an Ambulance driver and when the Ambulance driver recorded the incident and posted it on social media, the Doctor Kicker reported that post to the Computer Crimes division in Phuket. He withdrew the complaint after they "settled" their issues.

So he was already being investigated and possibly having his business visa revoked when he decided to go ahead an do his trademark Doctor Kick. I guess the outrage from the Doctor Kick all but guaranteed his B-Visa being revoked

2. The cops found a pistol and a rifle in his house after they searched it... He's now also being charged with illegal possession of firearms.

3. They discovered that all but one of the elephants for his "Elephant Sanctuary" are actually rented elephants. So most likely that whole operation was a scam or covering for illegal activities. Cops are investigating...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao good grief, only get involved in one extralegal enterprise at a time. If you're running a bogus animal habitat while here on a visa, don't assault local citizens.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thailand is such a chill place too. I can't figure out why farang end up being so loving angry here all the time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Strong Sauce posted:

3. They discovered that all but one of the elephants for his "Elephant Sanctuary" are actually rented elephants. So most likely that whole operation was a scam or covering for illegal activities. Cops are investigating...

What would it be covering for? Sounds like he was just pretending to rescue elephants and charging people to see them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

What would it be covering for? Sounds like he was just pretending to rescue elephants and charging people to see them.

It might be what you said, but I think they were implying it might be involved in organized crime. They've been kinda vague about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Could also be getting some kind of tax breaks or other freebies from the local or national government for running a rescue that a park with rented animals wouldn't qualify for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I read that the guns were licensed to the various parks/foundations he ran, so that could be part of the cover. Might also have to do with land ownership as well.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thailand is such a chill place too. I can't figure out why farang end up being so loving angry here all the time.

My guess is that angry assholes come to Thailand because they feel like they can get away with being entitled angry assholes and not be held accountable to their actions. That or the chilled nature of the environment causes them to drop the mask and let out their inner shittyness.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's unfortunately a lot of 'losers came here' because it was a party place with cheap cost of living and now those losers are bringing other losers. Sometimes it's directly inviting loser friends, but other times it's creating loser neighborhoods and loser communities that losers find very attractive on their Summer holiday. I hate to say it but it's almost a "normalcy test" to be uncomfortable to some degree around many foreigners living in country. Is that judgmental? Maybe, but I honestly don't care. There's plenty of good people but you can tell pretty quickly who is who.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I had to tell my neighbor who moved into the mubahn recently that if he's going to host his other friends from his condomunity downtown, to not invite me and to keep them away from my family.

Trigger warning: transphobia, insane racism
First time I went over, this British dude spent the whole time ranting about trans people (you're in loving Thailand mate). Second time, same dude spent the whole evening referring to Thais as "savages" and saying how he couldn't allow his half-Thai daughter to be left alone with them for fear that she'll have a British passport and a "Thai brain". Just some of the absolute most racist poo poo I've heard since I moved here. He then proceeded to rank Asian races in a hierarchy of how "civilized" they were. I called the host out for being friends with this loving bigot and said there was no way in hell I ever wanted that language around my son again (the Asian race hierarchy was to help explain to himself why it was fine for me to allow my son to be around his grandparents without my supervision as he's Taiwanese on that side of the family, and they're more human than his in-laws and so can be trusted not to financially manipulate their grandchild).

Loser communities indeed.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I feel for a lot of Hapa kids here in the States because a lot of times their white fathers are actually pretty bigoted/racist and only married their wife because they assume all Asians were subservient so of course his father's attitude now shows up when he treats his half-not-white son/daughter. It is a hosed up thing. Obviously not all white people are like this but the ones that are really gently caress with their kids and you get a lot of self-loathing and anger towards themselves and others.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Really love spending time jiggering which country to fly into so I'm not paying nearly 4x more all because i want to fly into a non-hub city.

United:
SFO -> SIN? Sure no problem: $1623
SFO -> BKK? Oh you think you're funny huh? $6292

I don't even fly in at a nice time into Bangkok.

And this is for Economy... I can't sit in Economy cause my legs feel to strained so at bare minimum it's Premium Economy, which when I was looking around United is almost priced the same as Business Class. What's the name for the effect where one of the options isn't really an option other than to make the other options look "better" in comparison?

Then I go onto EVA Airlines just to see. There are 6 levels of Economy/Premium Economy. I can figure out the difference between Economy/Premium but not sure what the 3 levels in each group signify.

Also I hate how Google Flights can find trips that aren't showing up on United. It's not even with points I'm just looking at Money.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 1, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check Zip Air with a transfer in Tokyo.
https://www.zipair.net/en

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Strong Sauce posted:

Really love spending time jiggering which country to fly into so I'm not paying nearly 4x more all because i want to fly into a non-hub city.

United:
SFO -> SIN? Sure no problem: $1623
SFO -> BKK? Oh you think you're funny huh? $6292

Singapore has really cheap flights to anywhere in the region. You probably already realized that and are going to grab one to go onwards to Bangkok, but I’ve been in and out of SG a couple times on my current trip, it was only like $100 to get here from Cambodia, and tomorrow I’m leaving for Nepal which cost $200. One-way prices, but still, I was impressed at how low the costs get.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Heading to Malaysia for a training course, myself and two coworkers will arrive three days before the course starts, and we're staying for two days after the fact. We'll be in Kuala Lumpur. I've had lots of recommendations about Genting, there's supposedly a rollercoaster and water park. I don't think I'll participate in either, but if anyone has suggestions of other things to do in Genting, I'd appreciate that.

I love all things nature related, and might rent a car if it lets me get to really worthwhile locations. Otherwise the plan is to just use taxis and hope they're relatively cheap. I'm not really one for drinking / clubbing / nightlife, so feel free to suggest tamer days or nights out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Have you considered finding a white wall and just staring at it all day?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you considered finding a white wall and just staring at it all day?

Rollercoasters make me feel awful, I see myself as a fat and out of shape person and am uncomfortable to do anything water-related as a result, and I'll be travelling with two Muslim colleagues hence the no drinking or clubbing or general nightlife recommendations.

I'm open to all other ideas though, staring at a white wall included.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Qubee posted:

Rollercoasters make me feel awful, I see myself as a fat and out of shape person and am uncomfortable to do anything water-related as a result, and I'll be travelling with two Muslim colleagues hence the no drinking or clubbing or general nightlife recommendations.

What about finding a nice restaurant to eat at together? As a fellow fat and out of shape person, I'm planning a trip to Japan with fine dining as the primary luxury expenditure and that's exciting enough for me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Qubee posted:

It was a joke. I'd just google Kuala Lumpur things to do. Find one thing that interests you for each day you are there. You don't even have to do them. Just so you have some ideas. Then see how you feel when you have some free time. And don't be afraid of just walking around looking at life in the city.

Find the biggest mall and go there to get a bit and people watch. Foreign malls are great for that sort of thing. (air conditioning in hot/humid countries)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I was going to suggest Batu Caves, as I am also looking at KL during my trip. But I heard it is a bit tacky and tourist trapped out now.

It also has a lot of stairs, so maybe not your cup of tea.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hit up the Patronas Towers, they aren't the tallest in the world anymore but still really big and a great view.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Jalan Alor is a pretty good street food market at night - worth a look. A lot of it is Chinese style food, and there are a lot of touts - just ignore them and go for the busiest place.

Others:
Batu Caves as recommended
Petronas Towers as well
I wasn’t a fan of Genting, wouldn’t especially recommend
If your Muslim colleagues aren’t Malaysian, they might be interested in the national mosque and the Islamic arts museum. Both are pretty good though remember hat Islamic art forbids idolatry so you’ll be looking at intricate patterns and geometric designs rather than portraits
If you’re up for a day trip Melacca is only a couple of hours away

Oh and I think Uber isn’t present in Malaysia, you have to use Grab instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KL Tower was probably more impressive before Petronas Towers was built, recommend avoid the observation deck unless you're just super bored. The restaurant is kind of a neat view but I don't remember anything about the food.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 10, 2024

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I enjoyed Batu Caves and the Islamic art museum when I went back in 2017. Be aware that depending on where you’re coming from KL can seem like an inconvenient city to walk around in so you may end up taking a lot of Grabs or public transit.

The caves also have a bunch of annoying-rear end monkeys hanging out on the steps

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Batu caves is okay, nothing that impressive. I liked the monkey cave next to it more. The aquarium in KL was nice, and if weather is okay then the bird park at the center is a nice visit. Its right next to the national and islamic museum.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

do you mean the KL eco park in the middle of the city?

also seems like KL has pretty good public transportation? there's a rail system, an MRT and buses, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

do you mean the KL eco park in the middle of the city?

also seems like KL has pretty good public transportation? there's a rail system, an MRT and buses, right?

No, KL Bird Park is a separate park, and as mentioned it's right next to the Islamic Arts museum. I haven't been since I was a kid so I can't speak to its quality nowadays.

Yeah we have decent public transport. I wouldn't recommend the buses much but the MRT/LRT is fine (LRT is older and more cramped though).

Honestly KL is kind of a boring city, not much to do except for eat and shop.

RE: the person asking about Genting, sorry to say that there really isn't much to do there except for the amusement park or the casino.