Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chiang Mai has never really had must-dos that I'm aware of. A lot of people go to Doi Suthep (that temple). Chiang Mai is more centered around the activities:

1) Classes. Probably more people take their cooking, massage or kickboxing classes there than anywhere else.
2) Hilltribe treks. Though these are much better out of Mae Hong Son (which is a very short plane ride away, or a very long bus trip) due to less tourist traffic, it's still a popular activity in Chiang Mai.
3) Animal stuff. Patara Elephant whatever. There some kind of tiger stuff up there now too.
4) Ziplines.

I'll just send him this. Thanks.

quote:

Go to Angkor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Randomnessity posted:

I have to say, I love that this thread is still going strong! When I first decided to go to SE Asia after university some 6 years ago, this thread was my inspiration - and now again it has tempted me back to beg for some knowledge!

Me too. I still drop in every now and then just to see what the latest is. This thread all those years ago honestly changed my life and made me a traveler. I probably would still be at the last job I had and hated if not for traveling. I knew I could quit and go to Central America for 4 months and be fine, because I had already done SE Asia. Huge thanks to ReindeerF (whatever his name was when he started the first thread...I forgot), who knows how many of us went to SE Asia because of him posting that first thread way back when.