Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How tough is Thai to learn if you already have functional Mandarin?

Edit: Just did a quick Wiki and apparently the languages aren't as related as I thought. I've been told they're structurally similar and that the tones aren't overly difficult if you're familiar with Mandarin tones though.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm all too happy to late the old white guy tell me his life story because that usually means I drink for free for the rest of the night.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

cent0r posted:

You mean to tell me, all you have to do is sit there and nod to some old guy at a bar for free drinks? GOD drat IT I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG!

In fact, every twenty minutes or so you can start to act like you have somewhere else to be and they'll up and buy you another drink! Sometimes they try to take you home, but I just tell them I'm on my period.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They're just so much more spiritual than us.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is there such a thing as a specialty beer shop in Bangkok? All of the beer I saw there was your generic imports (Heineken, Corona, etc) and domestics. Chang is alright, but the country seemed to be lacking in variety.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is actually really annoying about Taipei too. There's tons of beer, but i's all Belgian and I think those are super over rated.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The usual suspects. Delirium, Duvel, Westmalle, etc. Give me a good British ale any day. Actually, I just tried the Iron Maiden inspired beer "The Trooper" and it was drat good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gail Wynand posted:

Mikkeller in Ekkamai sells bottles (not cheap) and also lets other breweries set up stalls in their front yard..

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
How's the political situation in Bangkok holding up? I just read about the PM getting ousted.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckmaster posted:

Every single male goon in this thread clicked your profile to see if you're female.

I certainly did, and it was inconclusive.

As was your posting history.

Just you buddy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Not renting a scooter was the first thing I read when planning a trip to Thailand a couple of years ago for exactly that reason.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Has anyone been to Immortal or The Rock Pub? I'm looking for a decent place for beers and music.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ReindeerF posted:

Haven't been to either. If you're over at KSR, the new Brown Sugar might be good. Service was always poo poo, but the drinks and music were excellent. It's just up Phra Atit near Democracy Monument. There's also a place called like Blues Pub in Samsen, just North of the Khao San area, it's across from like Samsen Soi 6 or so. Good music, a little cramped.

Saxophone at Victory Monument is painfully loud, but has some of the more talented local instrumentalists and singers. I've heard that Fatty's over by Rama IX MRT gets good blues and rock some nights.

If you want modern rock or metal, I'm not of much help, but either of your original suggestions would probably be closer to the mark. Hopefully Smeef or someone younger who might know will chime in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Really anything from classic rock to heavy metal would be great. I'll probably never find a bar where I can drink whiskey and listen to King Crimson and Opeth in the same sitting, but the dream lives on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the Taipei. They typically have a full band, but I'm not actually convinced the guitars are plugged in since all you can hear is the keyboard. Does Thai karaoke basically just sound like midi loops?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Then I'll fit right in. Too bad about the beer selection and whiskey prices though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chair Huxtable posted:

A friend of mine goes to Rock Pub a lot and says they play really good hard rock. But he's also Thai and they usually consider The Scorpions to be heavy metal. So YMMV.

I'd say some Scorpions falls under the broader umbrella of heavy metal. Those guitars are sick man.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Heavy metal has become such a broad term that a lot of people forget that bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden are where the sound started and instantly assume all heavy metal has to be like Slayer or Gwar. Scorpions are guilty of writing some pretty cheesy ballads, but that doesn't mean stuff like "Nobody Like You" and "Rock You Like a Hurricane" aren't metal.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chair Huxtable posted:

goats on motorbikes.

Is that a thing I need to be aware of?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is it possible that your bank deducted the amount on the assumption that the transaction would be cleared but then a few days from now when all the information is sent back and forth between the banks, the money will reappear?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Are the borders closed?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
There's an article on the Nation saying the airports are still running, but I'm curious to know what happens if I land in Bangkok at 11pm.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If I get stuck in the airport, are the airport bar prices at least reasonable?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

cent0r posted:

Good ol' Thailand. The bar just closed its doors and everyone got pissed inside. Got loving hot in there though.

Did people just stay until 5am?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, no one is chucking grenades into Scalia's garbage.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm reading about the curfew right now and how it affects air travelers. It seems that you are allowed to go to and from the airport during the curfew hours. However, and this is a big however, you have to provide your own transportation. This means that there are no airport taxis after 10PM. It looks like if the curfew isn't lifted next week, I'll be stuck in the CIP room until 5am unless a kindhearted goon with a car wants to arrive at the airport prior to 10PM and then give me a ride.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I will try to go to Hong Kong this year just so I can finally have a guy at the airport with my name on a sign waiting for me. Only it has to be my goon name and avatar.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Holy poo poo the Taylor Swift concert has been canceled. Truly a tragic day for democracy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also I got my itinerary changed so I won't land post curfew. I've been hearing and reading different things about taxi availability at the airport and decided to just avoid the problem altogether by arriving at a not retarded time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Math Debater posted:

Hi friends, I'm really looking forward to going to Thailand this August for TEFL stuff, and I'm also hoping that I'll be able to make it to Cambodia while I'm in the area. I'm posting right now because I really love my computer and I like shaving with an electric razor, and I want to make sure I won't have any problems plugging in my stuff once I'm out of the U.S.

So I've been searching around for power converters/adapters because I'd like to take one with me, so it will be one less thing to worry about. And, as of now, I'm thinking that this here device/kit that I found on Amazon would work best: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_d_1

Would the item that I linked to work well for plugging in and charging American electronic devices in Southeast Asia? Or is there something else out there that would work better? Thanks very much for reading my post and for your consideration!

Where are you doing your TEFL?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Charging my 3DS is always a pain because Nintendo is the last company on earth that refuses to make their chargers work with a range of voltages.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Farang and Kathoey at Pattaya.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
One more:
An idiot. A broad?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm thinking about checking out that restaurant you goons were at a few weeks ago tomorrow.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I meant the gold bay place

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MothraAttack posted:

Ah, poo poo, how long you in town for? In Laos this weekend.

Just a few days. Next time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Almost got tricked by the old address, but a waitress ran across the street to bring us over. The dude was holding his hat so I didn't see him. I'll be here for a bit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I ended up getting a 150baht foot massage across the street from Gold Bay Leaf. They spent time debating among themselves if I was really a foreigner because I was speaking in Chinese with my friend.

"She must be Chinese, but what about him. He's speaking it too."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taxi driver told us not to go downtown today because of protests. Anything going on?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'd guess because it's a largely Muslim country with a recent violent past. It seems beautiful enough, but the documentary The Act of Killing shows how even today murderers are considered national heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thailand rumor check: are they stopping people on toast tourist visas to see if they are carrying at least 20,000baht? That seems ridiculous.