Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
I've been following the other SE Asia thread for a long time, and it even inspired me to go travel around Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines, though I don't think I ever posted.

Just wanted to say, great thread to Ringo and all contributors.

Also, not enough love for the Philippines in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
I'll leave it to someone else to write a segment about the Philippines. Like you, I don't feel I visited enough of the country to write a decent piece.

I spent my time mainly in Negros Occidental. (And Boracay, which was fun, but could have been anywhere)

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I agree with Sheep-Goats, just get out of Phuket ASAP. Every one of the things you mention can be done on Phi Phi, and probably Koh Lanta too, but I haven't been.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

@Laopooh, AFAIK you can get extra pages added into your current passport in much less than a month.

@Ringo R, they are dug in pretty tight. This is not going to end well. :ohdear:

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Broohaha posted:

got a bus/ferry ticket to ko pha ngan at 6 pm tonight.

Great choice! Probably my favorite island in the south. A couple of friends and I went to Had Khuad on the northern shore of the island about a year ago, which is a little more secluded and a little more quiet than the rest of the Koh Phangan, and we had a great time relaxing on the beach/in a hammock, and talking to the friendly owners. There's a little bit of nightlife as well, but with only two or three bars, you can avoid it if you want to. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, even if it takes a bit of doing to get there, there's no electricity at night and only cold water. It's worth it.

You have to take a taxi/whatever to get to Ao Chaloklum (a little fishing village in the north) and then a longtail for maybe 20 minutes to get to the actual bay. My friend took some pictures tha might persuade you:

Click here for the full 404x604 image.

Click here for the full 604x404 image.

Click here for the full 604x404 image.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Broohaha posted:

Also, it's really annoying that the best price you can get here for internet access is 2 bhat/minute + 10 minute minimum. By comparison, at KSR, one of the internet stalls gave you 5 hours (!!) for 80 bhat.

Get off the loving internet then, jesus christ man. You're in Thailand, live a little.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Arzakon posted:

I am going to take one of the bus lines from Singapore to KL and back in June. I will let you know how that goes if I remember.

I paid a shitload to get on one of the NiCE Express Buses between KL and Singapore, because I didn't feel like flying again. poo poo had TVs and watresses like on a plane, and seated only 22 people because of the huge seats.

Fiskenbob fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 5, 2010

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I took one (don't know how nice a bus it was supposed to be, but was quite comfortable) and it was fine and didn't take too long.

With the one I got on in KL, the company was actually called NiCE (Nationwide interstate Coach Executive, a backronym I suspect) and the seats had telephones and individual tv screens with movie channels. Lunch was included as well. It was pretty rad, and didn't take more than five hours IIRC.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Cheaper or more expensive compared to where? I'd expect flights to coastal-but-non-NY/LA/SFO US to fluctuate between $900-$1,500 depending on when exactly you book and fly. Don't know anything about flights to Norway, really. All Norwegians are incredibly wealthy and I believe they receive free airfare along with education, healthcare, disability payments, fish, mullets and potatoes - not 100% positive on this though!

I can vouch for this. Norweigans have 1 month mandatory tropical vacation each year. Suck it.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Jet Age posted:

Can anyone recommend a good penang guesthouse?

If you mean Georgetown, check out the street Lebuh Chulia around little India. It's packed with guesthouses, some good, some bad I guess. One dude I can't remember recommended me Jim's Place Cafe & Guesthouse on that street, but it was closed the day I got there. Looked very inviting though, so maybe worth checking out.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, get Immodium, every pharmacy in every tourist area will have it. I bought some on Phi Phi and it sorted me out pretty much instantly. Didn't take a dump for like three days though, but that's kinda the point.

@victoryismine, I (unfortunately) had to stay four-five days on Phuket when I was in Thailand, and from what I saw Karon beach was definitely the nicest. I stayed there, and even though it is far from great compared to many many other beaches on other islands I'd say it was good by Phuket standards. Thousands of sun beds though, so you might not be able to see it.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Ringo, your Jonny Olsen link from the OP is dead! Don't cheat newcomers to the thread of his awesome Farang hits!

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Ringo R posted:

I think Mr Olsen himself had it taken down to force people to buy his CD. Can't find anything else by him that is anywhere as good as that video. Feel free to recommend something though :)

Let me suggest Lum Sing Hip Hop then.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I heard she wanted to meet with journalists and could "move around freely"

I wonder how long until they lock her up again.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I've got some unexpected money coming my way, and I was looking to spend them on a trip to SE Asia this summer. I've already been to Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines so I was thinking maybe fly into Bangkok and then go to Cambodia and Vietnam.

Problem is though, that I get vacation in July and August (yay school!), so considering the weather, is Vietnam going to be terrible? I know it's mostly just a quick one hour shower each day, but is it going to completely ruin my trip? I've been playing around with the motorcycle idea, which got me thinking that rain every day would kinda suck...

Also, any suggestions on what to do? I definitely want to see Angkor Wat, but that's about it really. I don't know much about either country, so any suggestions about where the nice beaches are, which cities are cool to visit when you're on your own and whether it's at all feasible to go all the way through Cambodia to Vietnam and up the coast to Halong is appreciated.

And if not, where should I go instead? Laos?

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Does anyone have any experience flying Aerosvit to BKK? I'm wondering if I should just shell out the extra 100$ for Qatar.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress yeah, just booked tickets for Bangkok in June! Just have to figure out what I'm gonna do on my two 8+ hour layovers in Helsinki.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I'm landing in Bangkok on June 30th, and the original plan was to head straight for Cambodia, but I think I might have to hang around a bit, if things are gonna get all exciting on me.

I'll be flying back out through Bangkok on August 9th, so they better not shut down the airport again.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So whats the best beach to head to for like 5-7 days? I was thinking Ko Pha Ngan since it has Haad Rin for the party atmosphere and infrastructure if I want it, but also a lot of out of the way places on the north side of the island.

I always recommend Bottle Beach, on the north side of the island, to people going to Koh Phangan. But, like you said, it really depends on what you want. Haad Rin definitely has the party atmosphere, but if you just want to chill out for a few days, Bottle Beach is a nice alternative. And if I recall correctly, you can always take a boat directly from Bottle Beach to Haad Rin, if you go there first and get bored after a few days sober. Should take about an hour in a longtail, IIRC.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I can see why you wouldn't want to go to Bottle Beach, if it's full of fat nude Europeans. I didn't see any on my two trips there in '09 but I might have been lucky, or things have changed. When I went it was largely deserted, and you got the feeling of having almost the entire beach to yourself. That's what I liked, but the picture you paint isn't really flattering, I agree.

I think you've recommended that place, Lighthouse Bungalows before. I'll be sure to check it out, if I ever get back.

Question: I'm going to Cambodia in June, and I was looking for some recommendations on what to do. Sure, I'm gonna check out Angkor Wat, but other than that I'm kinda lost. I'm traveling on to Vietnam, but going straight for the border after the temples would be retarded. Are there any charming towns or beaches in the south, that I should check out? Somewhere I should stop on the way from Bangkok to Siem Reap? Other than Preah Vihear Temple and Poipet. :stare:

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Speaking of Sky Train. Is it connected to the airport now? When I was there in '09 they were still building it.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Clark Airport is hours away from metro manila by taxi on the freeway. I don't even want to think about how long a bus takes. At least that's how I remember it. It might look close on a map, but it takes a while.

Sabang is a beach town only a short(ish) bus ride and a ferry away from Manila. I got it recommended by someone, I don't remember who, but I'd avoid it if I were you. Horrible beach, at least when you compare it to the tropical paradises you can find in the Philippines, prostitutes and lots of old westerners with shady intentions. It's probably because it's so close to Manila. I never want to go back.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful, but now you at least know where no to go.

Edit: I didn't really stay long in the Manila area. Most of the beaches I visited where a lot farther away, and not really feasible to visit on such a short stay.

Fiskenbob fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 15, 2011

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Anyone know where to find camera equipment in Bangkok? I'm looking for a new (possibly wrist-) strap and a bag for my dSLR.

Edit: Preferably a camera bag that doesn't "look" too much like a camera bag.

Fiskenbob fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 23, 2011

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Foto File in MBK, prices aren't great compared to USA though.

Eurogoon here! Horrible prices, so it might just be the same as at home. Will check it out though. Thanks.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

It very much depends on the mood of the day, of the immigration officer that let's you through, I think. Try to look respectable, don't wear your flip flops, board shorts and Beerlao singlet, and more often than not they'll just stamp you through, without even looking twice.

If you're nervous, you could always fake an e-ticket.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

I guess I shouldn't take this journalism degree, I'm working on, to Thailand. Cambodia it is then!

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

They'll fake anything.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Can you smoke on your own property in Singapore? Just wondering...

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Hello sir, what are you doing today? It's raining. Here, I have an umbrella. I'll take you from Khao San to MBK for 40 baht. Just get in my tuk tuk. Maybe one stop on the way.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Oh god, I want to go back to SE asia. As soon as I finish this loving journalism degree, I'll use my unemployment benefit to move the gently caress away from cold rear end Scandinavia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

While I have been dragged to a tailor once, I haven't encountered that scam before. What's it all about?