Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Has anyone done a homestay thing like this:

http://kyspeaks.com/2010/03/09/homestay-a-different-traveling-experience/

Looks interesting, but it might end up being a bit of a poverty tourism thing which is pretty vulgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
My trip to Malaysia is in a few months and I'm planning on travelling from KL to Johor Bahru. Is the South West coast of Malaysia interesting to travel down overland? I figure I can stop in at Malacca but if the rest is going to be palm plantations it is a bit less exciting. Otherwise I could go across to the East Coast via the Jungle train and go down that coast, which I hear is less developed. Alternatively I could just get a stupidly cheap flight from KL to Singapore or something and hang out there for a few days.

Anyone gone overland Malaysia in a few days and can recommend it?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah Penang is definitely on my list. Does it shut down much on the weekend or does that not really affect tourists?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Thanks. Pretty sure every time I post here I have slightly different plans so appreciate everyones patience :) Only two months now.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Steve. posted:

No worries. I hope you've included Sabah and Sarawak on your itinerary!

Sarawak yes, not sure about Sabah yet.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah I want four or five days in Kuching, four or five days in Penang, a couple of days each in KL and Singapore, a day in Melacca. Just a matter of making it all come together.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
How closed is Malaysia during Ramadan?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Sounds pretty good, link?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Awesome, thanks. I wanna go to Japan in February and thought it might be cheaper out of Singapore.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah I had a good experience with Jetstar, and I'm flying AirAsia to KL in 8 weeks so hoping for a good experience there too. Tiger is just particularly poo poo, don't let them burn you on all budget carriers.

Steve. posted:

From Australia? Probably not... no low cost carriers fly between Singapore and Japan. For Australia to Japan on the cheap you're best off looking at Jetstar, but direct from Australia, or Malaysia Airlines. They're good, and to compete with Air Asia/Air Asia X they often have stupid sales, too.

Ta for the advice, my girlfriend has been watching jetstar like a hawk.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Going to be in Malaysia in eight weeks, can't loving wait. Spending the last week in Sarawak, and going to go on this homestay for a few days:

http://www.kurakura.asia/

We are going to be in Malaysia during Ramadan as well, which should be good with all the night markets and food to be had. Anyone been to Malaysia during Ramadan that can comment?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Can anyone recommend a good penang guesthouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Thanks all, and I did mean Georgetown :) Will check em out.