Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is there a super up to date source of info on reopening plans for SE Asian countries? Thailand and Indonesia in particular

Bangkok is dealing with a huge outbreak that they're blaming on a couple of wealthy person nightclubs so that might slam the brakes on the whole place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I maintain that the most fun you can have in Jakarta is standing in line to buy a plane ticket to Bali.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Sounds great in theory, but there's something hugely uncomfortable about having your own personal servant

I can't do "five star" hotels or resorts for exactly this reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Malaysia will let you stay on a tourist visa for 90 days and you can go cross a border to renew it indefinitely. If you gently caress up and forget and get caught you will be deported and barred from reentry though.

Thailand works similarly, you can do a day trip every few months to slap the snooze button on your visa. Both places will get annoyed if they officially notice you working while there on a tourist visa but you are unlikely to be detected if you aren't interacting with the local economy as part of your duties and you aren't taking up two tables at a cafe as your "office" every day for a month.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

They started doing a big cleanout of the old visa run crew. At first just focusing on the bus to poipet and back visa run crew that they let exit the country then not let them back in, then on air ticket visa runs. Has that stopped now? Have they got rid of enough lost in Asia in the 70's -90's that were hitting retirement with no saving types that were begging off other expats so they can go back to letting the visas be refreshed again without issue?

My workmate was married to a Thai and he was getting grilled at one stage there.

As recently as 2012-2020 that worked for the people I'm personally aware of.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

PM Sent.

I think I've finally adjusted to 101f :sweatdrop:. Earlier I literally had to walk into a 7-Elleven, I swear I thought I was going to literally melt. Is there something different about actual Redbull here, I feel like I just drank a whole Adderall.

Yes, Thai Red Bull is the original formula that the Red Bull company in the rest of the world knocked off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is getting a suit done in Bangkok still good? Maybe that

Pinky and Raja are the two I always hear about. I had two suits made at Majestic Tailors and they've served me well for the last 15 years. The Marines at the US embassy like them for their dress uniform tailoring too, take that as you will.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the heat goes wrong posted:

I have been asked twice to show some money when flying to Thailand. In both cases it was the airline employees who were asking and I didn't have a flight out of thailand booked (which is also one of the legal requirements).
Its okay. The airport will have ATMs if you feel like you really need cash.

No long term visa plus no onward booking is a common trigger for further question in many parts of the world. States generally don't want to let in people who seem like they might become a net drain on their coffers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I don’t know what the exact scam is but I’ve had two people come up to me at night the past two days asking where I’m from or how to get to some place and then they try to steer conversation to money. They specifically ask a question like how many euro in a baht or what does Thai baht look like?

That last question immediately put me on alert because how would you not know what it looks like. I’m in pattaya right now and it would be incredibly hard to get here without knowing what some local currency looked like. Anyway I pointed him to a currency exchange near us and while he wasn’t necessarily rude his demeanor kinda changed. His question was how to get to walking street and I told him he had to go across the Soi to get on the baht bus he basically did the opposite.

My guess is is you show them some money and they either refuse to give it back or they sleight of hand a counterfeit and give that to you. It’s probably not physical since there are probably better targets than me. But Can’t really find anything about it online either.

Another one is they ask to convert or make change with a big bill they give you and while you're examining it they swap one of the bills you gave them with a smaller one and claim you accidentally short changed them. But yes, anytime a rando anywhere in the world starts talking about money it's because they want yours.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao good grief, only get involved in one extralegal enterprise at a time. If you're running a bogus animal habitat while here on a visa, don't assault local citizens.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Could also be getting some kind of tax breaks or other freebies from the local or national government for running a rescue that a park with rented animals wouldn't qualify for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KL Tower was probably more impressive before Petronas Towers was built, recommend avoid the observation deck unless you're just super bored. The restaurant is kind of a neat view but I don't remember anything about the food.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 10, 2024