Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Older planes tend to be ratty. Older liveries means older planes. Sometimes you have airlines with older liveries who upgrade the interiors throughout the fleet or something, but that's rare.

So, an older livery doesn't so much imply as result in no/poor in-flight entertainment, no plugs, ratty seats, broken tables and so on. Singapore perpetually has like the youngest livery on the planet because they sell their planes as soon as they hit some number of hours or years. They're already selling off A-380s and replacing them with new ones.

I really don't care much except when I have to spend 30 loving hours in airplanes and airports between Bangkok and Houston. If it's a <5 hour hop I'm fine in pretty much anything.

The "broken windows" theory of airlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Thread creepiness threat level: yellow.

Phrasing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hello thread! I'll be arriving at BKK at the end of this month to take up a job as an English teacher.

1) When I get there, I would happily buy a couple beers for somebody who can give me the 'welcome to Bangkok' spiel. I don't know exactly where in the city I'll be living yet.

2) I'm flying Singapore Air so I have a layover at SIN. Any recommendations on killing those six hours will be appreciated.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, thanks for that. The school has three locations and hasn't let me know which one I'll be primarily teaching at yet, so specific apartment location is a bridge I'll cross when I come to it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Thanks for this. Like I said, where I'll live depends on which of the school's offices I'll be working at (they haven't let me know yet). One of them is in the yellow, one is in the red, and one isn't on that map at all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

I'm trying to imagine Chinese tourists posing like a smiling Christ on the cross next to a crucifix in some famous cathedral. I'm sure it's happened.

I would actually love for this to happen in front of me. Not sure what that says about me.

Edit:

ReindeerF posted:

What general parts of town (or not-town) do they have you looking at?

One center is close to the Bang Na stop, one is close to the Phra Ram 9 stop, and one is off to the northwest of that map in what Google calls Pak Kret. I don't mind having to commute to work or to fun (I don't anticipate going out to clubs on any regular basis), so I'll see what my options are when I get there. The school is supposed to have someone take me out to look at apartments after I arrive.

Also, I'll let people know how the work permit process goes, since I gather that may have changed recently. The (non-immigrant B) visa process went through without any difficulty. I showed up to the consulate with the form filled out and it took 15 minutes, including the time I waited for the person to finish their phone conversation.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 10, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just assume for now that you'll be in Pak Kret. Still live on the skytrain but have the school tell you where you can get on a bus from the skytrain out to there. Waiting for the bus in Thailand is a sweaty, slightly chaotic affair, though, so if you have a choice either of the other two would be better. Bang Na is better than Phra Ram 9 because the skytrain is better than the subway (it goes to more interesting places and better interchanges).

So I've gathered. I'll roll with it as best I can; if I end up in Pak Kret then I'll learn to take the bus.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So far (one week until BKK) I've only had one person react to me mentioning my upcoming venture to SEA by going "hey, you know, ladyboys, right?!" and I'm really pretty happy with that record. I was even happier with the previous record of zero, though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There's a joke in here somewhere about Traditional Western Medicine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

burritos, guacamole

Yes, please.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Senso posted:

What the hell is a KFC biscuit? A fried chicken biscuit? How can this be a thing. That must be a British thing. Gross.

Well, now that I'm in a British colony, I guess I could find out. But I'd rather not set foot in a KFC anyway.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If they were sweet and had some vanilla or fruit in them, sure.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Now, when I get to BKK, if I were to walk into a bar and ask for a pint, do I get 20oz or 16oz?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

duckmaster posted:

No majorly hilarious antics to report I'm afraid. American girl hates me now because she found out I'm a drug riddled alcoholic fool. How I kept it a secret that long (two weeks) is beyond me. It doesn't matter though cos I'm a sex machine and I'll just find another one.

Going home on the 5th though :( In Bangkok from the 1st to the 4th if anyone wants a night of debauchery.

You sound like a cool guy. I'll be in Bangkok as of Monday morning and may have a free night 1st-4th.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anecdotally I'm in the middle of US west coast -> SEA right now and Singapore is flying me SFO-ICN-SIN-BKK. Only an hour on the ground in ICN but five in SIN. Inexpensive ticket, though.

Update: Changi terminal 2 has a 24hr dim sum place with big signs that say "BEERS Are Sold Here" and the beer fridge has a sign on top saying "Just DRINK"

And a woman asked if I wanted to go somewhere, do massage? I politely declined.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 24, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gail Wynand posted:

Haha was this in the public area or after immigration? I just go to 7-11 for my airport beer needs.

This was after immigration, a floor below the 7-11. The beers were $12--I'll admit I have no idea how off-base that is by Singapore standards, I didn't heck how much the beers were in the Sev.

Saw the same lady a little later walking somewhere with some other white dude. Saw her again after that in line at the 7-11. She was buying more hand lotion.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
When I got to BKK I needed to meet someone at the Starbucks, which is why one of my first acts in this country was to ask someone where the Starbucks was. Shameful.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
E: Phone

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm sorry I don't know Poon but I know people with the name "Ericz" and also I used to know a "Power Jackson".

When I got to BKK there was a guy in the line of hotel/corporate limo drivers with a sign for a Mr. "Dong Walker."

There was another guy whose sign just said "BOY"

Yeah, that's probably someone's actual name, but eh.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You know in Edinburgh now you can go on a, like, Disneyland-style barrel theme ride through the whisky-making process, with Scottish caricatures shouting things at you as you go.

Anyway, STUPID BANGKOK NEWBIE QUESTION INCOMING but why do the MRT and the BTS have different ticketing systems?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

For more fun examples, note that the connecting stations where the BTS and MRT intersect are named different things based on what line they're on.

I noticed that! And I figured it was something like your explanation, because naming them differently means actually making an effort to be difficult out of spite. I also noticed how at least with Asoke/Sukhumvit the stations aren't even physically connected despite being directly on top of one another.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I got this LINE business as ChantillySay

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn't get invited to any LINE stuff either. No friends q.q

(I didn't realize you had to set user ID separately from display name. "chantillysay" )

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pilsner posted:

Ever watched Banged up Abroad (Locked up Abroad in the USA)? Tons of good ideas there.

Banged Up Abroad was already the thread's suggestion.

Anyway, here's the thing to recognize: you look way more trustworthy than anyone else. Go hang out by the airport, look for some confused-looking white tourists, and cheerfully offer to show them around for the low price of ($$$$$$$)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

Instructions for chilling:

Yeah, I'm gonna do this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

This morning I farted.

putting this on my SEA to-do list as well

Probably doing river boat sightseeing/lunch on... Tuesday, I guess, if anybody else in Bangkok wanted to hang out. Or I can do Sunday or Monday evening but I don't know where to go get a drink around here yet so someone would have to tell me where to get myself to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HelixFox posted:

Sounds like there's a heavy goon presence in Bangkok at the moment. I don't have any concrete plans for the next few days so I'm down for hanging out or beers whenever. Might be around on Tuesday, Chantilly Say.

If you're going to be around tomorrow I was going to head over to Saphan Taksin to catch that boat and figure being there a little before lunchtime (so like 11-11:30) so I can get some sightseeing in before stopping somewhere to eat. If you meet at Saphan Taksin we can probably get to each other on LINE.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

I shall nominate myself, with one of three causes of death:

1) Scuba diving accident;
2) Death by misadventure, most likely alcohol related (not necessarily my own consumption);
3) My EVA Air flight from Vancouver to Bangkok via Taipei being shot down by Russia.

If I make it to the beach (Pattaya or Hua Hin? Decisions, decisions) sometime this year then put me down as eligible for the first one. Although, I have promised that I won't die doing something stupid, simply so that my friends and family don't have to be embarrassed when they tell people about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

caberham posted:

Yeah, this is the thread to post your SEA questions. It's quite informative.

Why aren't the eggs in the supermarket refrigerated???

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Welcome to the SEA thread. Instead of hotel recommendations, have you considered choosing a different spouse???

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

transient posted:

Thanks for your opinions (even on my girlfriend), everyone.

There's still time to fix this by having something entertainingly terrible happen on your trip. Has anyone ever died in an infinity pool?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If your organs will be usable after you die, what are you even doing in SEA in the first place?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So where should I go diving in Thailand where I won't get murdered be surrounded by drugs and sewage?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

Khao Lak. The diving is excellent, but not for beginners.

What makes it so? Currents, depth, temperature?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

Most sites are fairly deep (beyond open water depths) and there's the potential for some pretty gnarly currents. That said, I went there with only about 25 dives and didn't have a problem. Temperature wasn't an issue, even in November I was very comfortable in just board shorts and a rashee.

Any particular reason there's not stuff to see above 60ft?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-crowded-in-2025-global-cities-1

Hong Kong set to keep its spot as the most crowded city, and Singapore will apparently go up two places to hit #5.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Tipping isn't standard in Thailand at all. They pay waitstaff enough and sometimes add a service charge already.

Where in Bangkok are you going to be when you get back? There are a couple of us in different parts of the city.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don't think there are still gonna be bucket bars out there. Math, have you been to Khao San Road yet?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Barfolemew posted:

Want to get a beer this weekend? Im at BKK and have nothing to do.

We can make it three if it's Sunday night, I don't work Mondays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do the NY outposts have the drinking vinegar? That stuff's pretty good.