Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Would be great to read some more stuff on the Phillippines. Think it will be my next destination in SE Asia. Too bad the Visa extension is so bloody expensive - $70 AUD for a 2 month Visa but I only want to extend the visa-free period by 5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

The visa thing is pretty easily handled by basically paying a bakshish fee. It's not like Thailand where an overstay is quasi-serious, you basically just go "yeah I overstayed" and then not only do you pay just a tiny fine, you also bypass most of the airport waiting lines. At least last I checked this is how it works.
Bakshish = tip/bribe? Have you done this before yourself? When did you last do it? I just don't wanna end up having to pay the overstaying fee which I read is about 1000 pesos, and then have to pay for the visa extension too which is 3000 pesos, and possibly miss my flight.

Just read this thread and it doesn't seem so positive. Looks like the rules changed a bit in 2008: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1669236

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Ah $30 isn't bad at all. A lot more reasonable than 3,000 pesos which is around $60-70US. Just checked the Aussie Philippino embassy and it says $30 US for a 3 month Visa too. Don't understand why it's 3,000 pesos in the Phillippines.

Would you have a rough itinerary for 26-30 days in the Philippines Reindeer? I'm thinking I'll fly into Manilla or Clarke, maybe go up to the area north of Manilla (Baguio), then make my way down to Coron and across the Islands to Palawan. Spend a couple weeks there and then go to Cebu, fly from Cebu back to Singapore. I don't want to cram lots of stuff into the trip or spend too much time on the bus/boat. I've done that too many times before - I just wanna keep it at a slow pace, be able to stay an extra couple days at a place if I meet some cool people/find a wonderful place.

Is it best to fly around between the islands or boat it? To be honest I haven't bothered to read too much about the Philippines yet I feel like a dick asking lots of questions before I've read much but I'm reading some stuff now.

Thanks!

superwofl fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 16, 2010

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for the info, Reindeer. Will look into the island village idea. edit- just read the link you gave me. Those sorta pics are the reason I wanna go to the Philippines.

Hey, nasoren. Any tips for what I should do with 26 days in the Philippines? These are the things I would like to do: trekking in the jungle, trekking in the mountains, snorkelling or maybe diving if there's anywhere really special, swim with those whale sharks at Donsol, look at pretty places, eat good food. These are the things I don't want to do: lie on a beach all day, be surrounded by tourists, try to see too much stuff in one trip. Palawan is one place I know I definitely want to see but there's so much else I don't know where to go.

I haven't booked any flights yet so I could start/finish in either Manila or Cebu. Oh yeah I'll be there during Easter, anything cool going on then? Don't a lot of people crucify themselves in the Philippines?

FloorMat posted:

Can I buy antibiotics over the counter in HCMC?
I never tried to but I stubbed my toe in Hue, went to a doctors joint to get some cotton/tape/disinfectant to put on it and the doctor there wanted to give me antibiotics. Just for a small cut. So I'd assume it'd be very easy.

Googled for you and found this: http://www.adoptvietnam.org/travel/VNclinics.htm#local%20pharmacies%20and%20antibiotics

superwofl fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 17, 2010

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
The more I look back the less I understand why I had such a bad feeling about the Vietnamese when I left. Cheesemaster's right there weren't really any touts outside of Hanoi, and I only had 2 incidents where locals really pissed me off (street book salesman in Hanoi getting real aggressive/swearing at me cos I wouldn't buy a book, and a bus driver trying to rip me off), so maybe it's just their attitude/they're not as friendly. Plus I went there after coming from Thailand and Laos where the people are supposed to be very nice. So I dunno maybe it's just the vibe.

I worked with a 2nd generation Vietnamese guy here in Australia who goes to Vietnam every now and then, and he said "They're a bunch of cunts". I think mainly because even though he's Vietnamese people can still tell he's obviously a foreigner and would try overcharge him/treat him different.

Also I got a hotel room with AC and they wouldn't let me leave it on while I was out so that I come back to a nice cool room. Kept sneakin in and turning it off. God drat Vietnamese.

superwofl fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 17, 2010

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Sweet writeup man. Ok I think I'll split my time into 3 regions - Palawan, around Cebu, and North Luzon. With 26 days I shouldn't have to rush at all.

How expensive would a ticket from Cebu to Manila, or Cebu to Puerto Princessa be at around Easter time if you don't book very far in advance? I'd rather not book any domestic flights very far in advance so that I've got a lot more freedom. Is it expensive to change the dates of a flight on the budget airlines? Here in Australia, if you leave it to say a week before to book a flight, the prices go through the roof.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Manila's the worst I've dealt with in SE Asia on taxis. If you're not a Pinoy it doesn't matter who you are or if you speak the language, unless you get the yellow cab from the airport. It's a little pricier, but they're honest on the meter. Everywhere else it's nonstop fuckery. Bangkok is actually fantastic in this respect. It's easily the most honest bunch of taxi people in a major developing world city that I've seen, though there's a big caveat of "unless you're hailing a cab in front of: patpong, grand palace, soi cowboy, khao san road, nana, anywhere on lower sukhimvit and sometimes at the airport." Heh.
Manila was fine for me. Half the time I took a taxi from Malate I'd ask for meter and they'd say no, so I'd get another cab 10 seconds later and they'd say OK. Took about 10 taxis in Manila and payed an extra 20 peso for one because there was traffic and we couldn't be hosed waiting for another one.

When I flew from Puerto Princesa to Manila I came out at this small terminal though, and a taxi driver followed out of the airport trying to get me to take his taxi, so I did. Ended up having a really old taxi with a really fast meter though so I told him to stop and just got out. So don't take a taxi from someone offering ya one as they're prolly dodgy, just hail one down or find a guy parked in one. (this wasn't a yellow airport taxi btw)

Tip: If you fly into Manila, don't take the yellow cabs from the airport unless you're rich. They cost about 3 times as much. Go to the arrival drop-off and catch a white taxi dropping someone off.

In KL there are certain places you just cannot get a metered taxi from for some reason (Chinatown is one of these). It's just the way it is, even for locals.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
I didn't dig Malacca either, and was there for the Saturday night market or whatever it was too. Wasn't really much there just a big stage with old people doing karaoke, and people selling your usual lovely market toys and fake stuff.

The food on Jonker street was great though - make sure you try the ice kacang and the chicken rice balls.

There was some good history and museums but nothing special. I went for a swim at the public pool and the old guys that go for a swim everyday were real friendly and good for a chat.

The portuguese square thing really wasn't worth it at all.

Wouldn't say it's a must-do, much preferred Penang.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

lightpole posted:

I just got off a ship and have been trying to plan out a working schedule for my vacation. I made friends with the Philippino AB's and they want me to meet them in Manila in January when they get off. I also want to go to Annapurna before they are finished with the new road. Since my aunt married an Indian I talked to him first and he said that if I was going to Nepal I may as well visit his family and have them take me to see tigers.

While I would like to meet my friends in Manila, January is very bad timing. If I push Manila back to March or later I can fly to the Philippines first, then to India and on to Nepal in April (I want to hike Annapurna asap and April is my birthday as well). I only had the idea for this in the last month when I saw they were building a road in Annapurna and figured I would head that way. If I am planning to hike Annapurna in April, what would be the best order to see the three places? I have all the time I need but I would prefer to be back by June so I was thinking about making it 9 weeks or longer, most likely longer since Nepal would be 3 weeks minimum. I need to find a start date and country for the trip. Is April a good time for Annapurna, how should I arrange my schedule and what else should I start thinking about?
I've not looked into the Annapurna/Nepal much but I think I remember reading that around September was a good time to go as it's much quieter then than April-June and the rain isn't that bad. I didn't know about that road, thought I might go to Nepal in 2012 but might try to go there next year instead.

I've been to the Philippines though and March/April is definitely the best time for the Phils - There's hardly any rain, the rice terraces in the north are still nice and green, there's heaps of whalesharks in Donsol at that time. There is tonnes to see in the Phils you could easily spend 2months+ there and not get bored. It's my favourite country in SE Asia, I was gonna head back there next year but might go to Nepal now instead.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
I wear flip flops probably 80% of the time in SE Asia, including when I'm trekking etc. My flip flops are Teva Mush, they're made of very lightweight but tough foam. Not as fashionable as ipanema/havaianas or whatever but I like it cos it doesn't make me stand out. Compared to your usual rubber flip flops they're way comfier and lighter, the cloth strap doesn't chafe/rub on my feet/in between my toes like rubber ones do. I really notice the difference after wearing heavy rubber flip flops, they're so light you don't really notice they're on your feet or in your pack. The foam sorta moulds to your feet after a while and they grip onto rocks and stuff pretty good. Last forever too! When I was trekking in Sumatra wearing these things we had to do a river crossing and my guide wanted to carry my flip flops across the river for me. Dude slipped and dropped one and it floated downriver never to be seen again. Had to wear terrible heavy flip flops for the next 2 weeks til I got back to KL and bought a new pair straight away.

On my 1st trip I brought New Balance cross trainers with me and really didn't wear them much. They were a pain to carry round as they take up a lot of room in my bad, stink a lot, so I'd tie them to the outside of my bag. They also didn't look "smart" at all and aren't good for dressing nice.

On my 2nd and 3rd trips I took an Australian shoe, the Dunlop Volley, with me. These things cost about $20 from Kmart in Australia, they are classic canvas Tennis shoes with very good grip - good for gripping slippery rocks etc. Very lightweight, take up no room in the bag, don't stink, dry fast. Plus they can look quite smart, sorta like a less neat looking but more practical pair of Converse chucks. I found doing a lot of walking though my feet would get sore just wearing these or flip flops because there's not much support - very thin soles.

[I got 2 pairs, one navy and one brown, white ones show the dirt a little much]

I recently got some Nike trainers in brown leather, they're super comfy and fine for playing basketball and poo poo in, yet don't have your usual trainer look and look pretty smart. Shouldn't show dirtyness so easy either being brown. I think I'll bring these and my flip flops with me on my next trip to SE Asia.

superwofl fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 27, 2010

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Booked a flight to Bali this morning, fly out on Friday night. Will be in Indonesia until the 25th of Feb. I think I'll get outta Bali straight away, not sure where I'll go yet though. I was thinking Sulawesi, maybe Lombok/Flores/Timor...or maybe even Papua.

Anyone here been to Lombok/Flores, or Sulawesi? What did you do and how was it?

If any goons in Indonesia wanna hang out/grab a drink with a 20YO Aussie guy let me know here.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

Xanin posted:

When I went to Indonesia I didn't go to those places apart from Bali (went to Java, Gili Islands and Borneo), but friends of mine said Sulawesi and Flores were fantastic. Much more off the beaten track. Apparently snorkeling/diving in Sulawesi is amazing.
My flight to Bali got delayed 24hrs because of volcanic ash, now any flights outta Bali are a lot more expensive on the dates I'd fly to sulawesi so I'm just gonna go overland to Jakarta.

Any recommendations for Bali or Java?

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Climb Bromo (if it's not volcano'd out), and spend some time in Yogyakarta. Near Yogya, there's Borobudur (Buddhist monument) and Prambanan (Hindu monument).

For Bali I found a nice quiet homestay place in Ubud and rented a bicycle to see what was around. Ubud is still fairly touristy, but it's a nice little inland town and there's a lot to see. Kuta Beach sucks and I could not wait to get out.
1 minute after I stepped out of the taxi into kuta I thought "this is hell". The aussies here are just embarrassing as are the yanks. Then I couldn't find a place with a room under 125k. So much more expensive than Sumatra when I was there 18 months ago. Probably didn't help that I arrived at 2am but I think I'll check out Ubud tomorrow and stay there for a day or 2 then head to Bromo. I want to climb Gunung Agung but it's too wet here.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Your friends should just stay locked in their rooms.

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
Wow that's sad. Read a lot of his posts and seemed like such a nice and fun guy, having the time of his life. Reading his posts made me wanna go back to Thailand - I'm actually going next week now. gently caress..

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
If anyone wants some info about Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Bali) or Philippines I can give some recommendations/advice if you ask. Seems like they're the least visited countries by Goons but IMO are the best in all of SE Asia. Really friendly locals that are easy to communicate with and also the most beautiful mountains and islands.

How do I upload photos here? Does waffleimages not work anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008

DontAskKant posted:

Summary for those who just tuned in: Going to the Philippines? DON'T!

In the USA I loved every Filipino I met. It's totally different over here. In Korea the only Filipinos I met/see are sex workers or working in the adjacent areas. Then there is this thread. Now I know why my friend's mother wouldn't let her visit.
Philippines is the best country I've been to out of Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia.....