Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is the currency exchange situation in Thailand? Should I do it at ATMs or at an exchange or before I arrive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Pattaya worth a visit? It looks close enough to Bangkok to do an overnight stay, but other than the Nong Nooch gardens, it seems like the main thing is the sex trade. It also appears to be a little bit less safe than other spots. I don't really want to hang out on the beach as it would be a very short stay and I'd rather see neat stuff.

Otherwise, I might just take a train to see the bridge on the Rive Kwai. Woo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So Pattaya is out. I just remembered that Kanchanaburi is a malaria zone. I already need to get Hep A/B shots and take typhoid pills. I was told if I go to Kanchanaburi I add malaria meds to the cocktail.

I remember someone in here posting that it wasn't really a concern, though. Thoughts?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Living on the edge!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is dengue?

I guess I'll just skip malaria meds. I'm not planning on tromping through a swamp, anyway.

E: I will be safe in Bangkok, right?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 17, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm not trolling. I also don't get the joke. Naivete. :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah. Well, my sister is the one who brought it to my attention. "Have you made sure your vaccinations are current?"

So I contacted my doctor and he said talk to the vaccination nurse. A two hour detailed conversation later I am set up for those shots and pills.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there mosquitoes in Bangkok? I know there is no malaria threat there, but I don't want nothing. Especially since most of my time is going to be in Japan and I don't want to spoil my trip.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I appreciate the help and the jibes. I've decided not to try to smoosh too much into too little time. I'll be content with my four days in Bangkok, which should be enough to get a nice taste of things. Since I am fortunate to have adequate health insurance, I will get the immunizations. If I get the shits, I get the shits. At least I have a nice hotel room with a private bathroom, so I can enjoy melting the paint off the walls.

I'm off Sukhumvit about a mile from the city center. I will be arriving 9/10 around midnight and leaving early in the morning on 9/15. Maybe I will meet one or two of you and you can make fun of me in person.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pilsner posted:

I posted the exact same "worried first timer" mosquito question earlier this year and also got teased a little. ;)

I only saw a few mosquitos one single time in BKK, and that was at a restaurant that had a small articifical lake next to it as a sort of tropical theme. Otherwise, not a single one. My hotel didn't have any insects. Note however that I was right in a busy city district (Sukhumvit), so not a plant, lake, animal (except rats) or jungle in sight. Other areas might be different.

I was also in Philippines a month ago, and decided to skip the malaria medicine (or actually, prophylactic - potentially preventive medicine) all together, even though it's kinda recommended. There are so many reasons to ditch it: It's expensive, doesn't work 100% at all, has common side effects including nausea, you have to take it daily plus before, during and after your trip, and I only stayed in big cities anyway, where I'd typically wear jeans and long-sleeved shirt in the evening anyway (less skin exposed for biting). I didn't notice a single mosquito for my entire trip to four cities in the north, center and south. I also ate the ice, ate local food, walked around alone in dark areas at night, went to seedy bars, walked around Manila at 5am during the Rammasun typhoon, took taxis alone without making note of their registration number, took a bus up the NLEX at night, walked around with huge bundles of cash, you name it. #YOLO woot woot

Thanks for this.

Seems about the same sort of attitude that I have.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there any sort of difference between various meal times? IE: breakfast/lunch/dinner. Or is it just food whenever? I mean, are there things that are more likely to be served at different times of the day?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm gonna get in trouble.

I just arrived in BKK. Went for a walk. This girl. Wow. Gotta be a whore but man oh man.

Hotel room is a mix of nice and lovely. The internet is very slow. Dial up speeds. WTF. The AC doesn't work unless I am in the room. The shower is awesome but drains slowly. There is a sign saying not to flush paper down the toilet. All right...

But that girl. I dunno what to do. I should just go to sleep. But I'm wired as gently caress.

I could go back and talk to her. Or hope she is there tomorrow. Talk about conflicted. I mean, she could have just been hanging out in front of a bar with some friends, right? I mean, it's Wednesday night. Party night.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

Absolutely gorgeous.

And no, it was definitely a girl. I think.

gently caress.

I just got thrown for a loop.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The fridge gets turned off, too.

This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. I couldn't even connect to the internet for a while and called the front desk. They appear to have fixed whatever the issue was and now I actually have non-dial up speeds.

As for the girl. Yeah, if she is in the same spot then my gut was right. And if not, I will never know. I lay awake for like an hour, exhausted, debating whether to go back and chat her up. She didn't look Thai. She didn't look like anything I'd ever seen to be honest. She actually looked more Caucasian than anything. But man...

Also, I was lolling on the flight at all the middle aged men and the lack of women. And hooray at spending 1500 baht to get my clothes laundered. I am not joking. I also didn't have any readily apparent solution so had to eat it. At least breakfast was only 200 baht and quite satisfying.

Now what?

E: and what am I supposed to do with toilet paper? There is no bidet so do I just toss it in the trash? Kinda gross. There is a really high powered hose spigot thingy next to the toilet. Pretty sure were I to use that as a bidet I'd be forcibly giving myself an enema, too.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

caberham posted:

Bums guns are rudimentary and can't compare to Japanese toilets right? But hey a hose is a hose!

Ha! Gun is right. That thing is powerful enough to give me a brazilian let alone disperse a few poo flakes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Finch! posted:

Go to Koh Tao. Laundry is 40 baht per kilo and 200 baht buys an epic breakfast.

Too late now. Also didn't want to go lugging my luggage around and sitting somewhere for a couple hours in the heat. Would have been a nice savings of 1400 baht. But whatever. I will have clean clothes later today. It's been so humid in Japan I've often worn two shirts in a day. I like being clean.

With that in mind, Bangkok is going to be a challenge. Glad to be here.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As a San Francisco native, Terminal 21 is a bizarre place.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know it is a themed mall. The top floor is Hollywood, but the two floors below are based on San Francisco. That's all. Haigh/Ashbury street signs. Golden Gate Bridge. A sign on the floor that says Fishermans Wharf. Was fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sigh. Found my girl. Doesn't look quite so good tonight. Also found out where she works. Eden club. Looked it up online and yeeeeah. Go on and laugh. :-(

I do freaking love this place though. Somehow Bangkok has exceeded expectations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CronoGamer posted:

Go on. Embrace your destiny.

I wonder if she stands to the left of the line. :wom:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Almost got in a fight with a ladyboy. Just a tad too aggressive for my taste. You shouldn't grab someones arm and block their way and behave in such a way. Not cool. I think the "no thank you, I'm not interested" should have been a dead giveaway. But no. Gotta grab me.

Also, in five minutes saw three one-legged people sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk in different places. And one passed out child with a puppy asleep with his chin rested on the kids knee. Cute and sad and wtf all at once.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was walking down Sukhumvit, about to walk up the stairs for an overpass to the other side of the street. Around Soi 10 / Asoke? BTS station. She tried to grab another dude ahead of me and he shook her off. I guess that made her more aggresive towards me. I suspect she was drunk.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Which was why you fought her?

There are some people with really poor reading comprehension in this thread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. This person grabbed me and would not let go. They stood in my way and blocked me when I tried to get around. It was very aggressive and would have provoked a fight with many people. I ended up spinning around to get her to let go then quickly moved on.

This was a ladyBOY not a ladyGIRL.

I didn't throw any punches and tried to be polite but this was not cool at all. Had this been two dudes in the states it very well would have led to blows being thrown.

So far my only bad experience here.

On the other hand, I saw what I guess were some monitor lizards just chilling out in a park.

And the MBK mall is so insane. I've been trying to describe it to friends back home but how do you explain three hundred cell phone stalls all crammed together all selling the same things. It just doesn't make sense. How do they stay in business. I'm guessing rental space is crazy cheap.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've really enjoyed my stay here in Bangkok. Even though I am completely exhausted and the last day or so, in terms of seeing things, have been a waste. And I have to be at the airport in the middle of the night to leave. Fun times.

What an awesome place. Hopefully I can see some stuff this evening.

The heat/humidity just wore me out. Never experienced that before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I ended up extending my stay in Bangkok for an extra day.

These last two days have been the best. They also have been the days I spent away from Sukhumvit. I am glad I stayed where I did and saw what I saw, but I don't feel it is a good representation of Bangkok at all. Bangkok, to me, is a country that is trying to force itself, as quickly as possilbe, to be like America. It doesn't seem natural and it's jarring. It's definitely a comfortable (other than the weather) place to come for Westerners. I suspect that in 10 years, much of the disconnect between old and new will be ironed out between Siam and Sukhumvit. The amount of construction throughout the city reminds me of San Francisco. This place is just a tad larger, though.

Yesterday I went to the two big Wats and the Khao San road area, which I liked a lot. That's a big buddha. I mean, it's big. Really big. Would have loved to have seen it before it was encased. Or was it always in a buildling? I got the sense it was outside, initially. Also went for a ride on a boat up the river and took a cab back.

Today I went to the Papaya Thrift Store and the Erawan museum. Also been hanging with a friend at her place somewhere near the Ramsomething or other campus. We just went to a night market. Seeing the real Bangkok was much more satisfying.

I don't want to leave. I will definitely be coming back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm back in Japan now. Pretty much as soon as I arrived I began regretting not having stayed in Thailand longer. Japan feels so sterile in comparison and other than being clean is basically the same as back home except I can't communicate with anyone. :/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's Thailand. Motto: Safety Third.

Sounds about right.

My introduction to Thailand safety:

Got off flight. Got in a taxi. He drives 140 KPH down the highway. It was somewhat terrifying.

And then walking around and seeing the complete lack of traffic lights and cars and motorcycles and people rushing all around. Another night seeing three helmetless people riding a bike in pouring rain. The weird buses that are like cages on the back of a pickup. Riding a bus with the doors open and people jumping on and off as it was stopping and starting and just the sheer lack of any oversight of public safety. It was awesome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lady Galaga posted:

Question. How does one procure and negotiate with a prostitute? Many thanks,

Galaga

Gonna answer seriously:

If the prostitutes aren't blatantly propositioning you, they are not interested. If a prostitute is not interested in you, then you probably will die a virgin.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lady Galaga posted:

Where are the reputable areas to find such services, and how do I know I am getting good quality for my money? Is there are free trial?

Pretty sure there is an island to the south of Thailand. Has some nice beaches. You should check it out. Good for tourists.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

fart simpson posted:

What's the etiquette for adult services in Thailand? I figured I'd ask the experts.

Pretty sure it is "have money."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got back from Khao San Road.

Wow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chantilly Say posted:

Ahhhhhhh its Songkran and I'm not there

It took me about 5 minutes to say I will come back again some day. Probably multiple times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
We were on our way to Chinatown Ina tuktuk and got stuck behind a car while it was parking. This gave someone enough time to fill an entire bucket and then empty it on us just as we started to move again. A big bucket. Probably 3-5 gallons based on the size.

Chinatown is an assault to the senses.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm planning on being in Thailand during Song Kran. Is it going to be lame this year because of the king dying? I thought that because it will have been so long that people will be ready to let loose but since the "mourning" is supposed to go on for a year, then perhaps not. Will they even let it happen?

Seems like Bangkok must kinda suck right now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My gut tells me that because no one likes mourning + song kran being a time to wash away the previous years bad + this being the first kings death/water festival concurrence that people are going to want to let loose. That's just human nature.

As for the king, did he do anything special other than be the son of the previous king? Is he like Princess Di? Or is it just the brainwashing since birth that has everyone in a tizzy plus the mandatory mourning thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's really awesome. Thanks for that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went this year and really enjoyed it. What I liked most was either the children who were loving the opportunity to do things to adults that would normally be taboo or the fact that all the of water was done in good will. I felt that people were doing it with a real blessing in their hearts. The only thing I saw that I didn't like were a couple of westerners who clearly didn't get it. They were walking down Sukhumvit spraying anyone, including people waiting for buses in their work attire. Um no...don't do that.

My buddy's bday is 4/13. So this year we go to celebrate the biggest birthday party he could have.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

C-Euro posted:

How hard and fast of a rule is the "wear polite colors" thing? My wife and I are coming over in a week-ish to do a wedding ceremony for her family in the country, and my immediate family is coming with me. While my wife's family knows me they don't know my family and I'd like them to not offend anyone while we're there (my MIL is already really annoyed with them just from planning this whole thing!)

Just tell them all to wear black. It is your funeral after all. I mean wedding.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bangkok hotel advice? Solitel, Landmark, HIlton or Terminal 21. On Sukhumvit.

E: Never mind. Chose the T21. Access to both sides of the street, both mass transit lines, the mall (starbucks) and saved $200 booking directly from them rather than Agoda.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tytan posted:

Now tuk tuks on the other hand... it always makes me laugh when I go to Bangkok and getting a taxi there is cheaper than getting a tuk tuk here.

Doesn't this assume that you get a cab that is willing to turn the meter on?

Also, I wonder if I am doing this right: I find a tuk tuk or cab. Say I want to go to place and get quoted something. With cab I will ask for meter and if they do it I am fine. Otherwise they will say something like 400. I will respond with 1/4 their ask price with a goal of 1/2. And almost always get it for the 200. Am I still paying too much? Seems to me that I could probably get it lower but I don't want to spend the whole trip haggling.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 7, 2017