Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Anyone been to Hua Hin in Thailand? We're headed there for ten days in July. Gonna stay at the holiday inn next to the waterslide park for the first five days to appease lil bee then go stay somewhere a bit fancy and relax for the remaining five. It's primarily gonna be a "fun/relax time" type holiday but I thought I'd ask if there's anything particularly interesting or fun to do there?

Also add one more voice to the "Vietnam is amazing and cool" chorus. My partner's sister and her family live in Hanoi so we've been lucky enough to have gone over there and explore a few times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Awesome, thanks! This is going to be a slow, relaxing holiday where we do a lot of swimming and lounging around rather than a go exploring every day kind of trip. But having one or two things interesting to check out while we're there will be perfect. And who doesn't love a good night market? :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Banjo Bones posted:

In Hua Hin check out the Phraya Nakhon cave. Pretty cool place. It's about an hour drive from all the hotels, but worth it.

That cave looks really interesting and beautiful but the guides I've read have me a bit concerned about the accessibility. Mr bee uses a prosthetic leg and struggles getting up and down hills, so a humid 30 min hike over rocks to get to the cave might be beyond his capabilities :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

bowmore posted:

If I was going to Vietnam and wanted to put some interesting things to see to learn more about the communist history of the country or current communist party would anyone have any good recommendations?

There's a few spots in Hanoi that are pretty interesting - the Ho Chi Minh Museum and Vietnam Revolution Museum might be what you are looking for. And while it's about ethnic groups rather than political stuff the Museum of Ethnology is also worth a visit!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do they still sell heaps of threadless-type rip off teeshirts on khao san road? I was in Thailand in 2008 and I got all these really cute shirts from a shop called pre-loved that may or may not have been around there somewhere. Yeah I realise it's a long shot being so long ago but it'd still be fun to try and get some new ones :)

bee
Dec 17, 2008

These are the only two that I haven't worn into threads yet but they're starting to feel pretty thin. Considering they're 15 years old and cost me about $3 each at the time that's some bloody great value right there!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I've been to Vietnam and Bali a couple of times now in the rainy season and it's been fine. Ime it doesn't rain non stop all day, you get patches where it'll rain in the morning then it's sunny. Or it rains really heavy for about an hour in the afternoon but it's clear for the rest of the day. Just throw a rain poncho in your backpack if you're worried about your stuff getting wet.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

No particular recommendation from me as I get it included with my credit card, but one thing I will say is to read the fine print.

There's been a story in the media here recently about a woman who was in Thailand and fell onto concrete while stepping off a deck at her hotel. She's injured really badly.

She had travel insurance but the insurer voided her cover because she'd been drinking and the family had to crowdfund to medivac her back to Australia. So, something to be mindful of if you like cocktails while you're on holidays.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Any recommendations for an e-sim for Thailand? We'll be there for two weeks. Thanks!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

I used Airalo recently and it was super easy and worked well. I'm planning to grab one for my Thailand trip later in the year on that basis. I've got a referral code: NIA7657

Aaaaa thanks for this but I ended up finding one on my own as we got to Bangkok two days ago.

So far the highlight has been stumbling upon the Studio Ghibli exhibition in CentralWorld shopping mall. If you love the films it's well worth checking out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I was there in July, and had no issues upon arrival. It just took a long time to get through customs because there were lots of people to process.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We left Thailand last month during the extra long weekend so there was a lot of traffic on the way back from Hua Hin to the airport. We just booked a private car online, and left an hour and a half earlier than we needed to so we had a traffic buffer. We ended up not needing that much extra time, but I'd rather have spent it relaxing in the airport lounge than stressing out that we were going to miss our flight.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Depends where you are but when I was in Koh Phangan the toilets had signs in them saying to dispose of tp in the bin near the toilet. That was 15 years ago though so maybe it's different now. When I was in Hua Hin last year everywhere was just flush the paper.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed Maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Pretty much. Some people are just naturally more able to cope with hot climates and humidity, it doesn't bother me much when we visit SE Asia but my partner and kid really seem to struggle with it. That being said, the cold cuts right into me!