Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm in Bangkok as a dumb tourist in Siam square right now till Tuesday. I'm going to ask the ignorant foreigner question in whether shopping complexes are open on election day and where are the places I should avoid? I may go stockpile food like an idiot survivalist but am hoping it's not as bad as some news (read: poo poo rag Daily Mail) suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ReindeerF posted:

You don't need to stockpile anything but maybe beer, heh. Most stuff will be open. Avoid Asoke intersection and, well, Ratchaprasong (where you're staying). From where you are, just head to Silom or Sukhumvit for stuff.

I forgot to thank you for the help. We spent election day doing normal touristy bull poo poo ultimately and didn't see anything if concern other than there being a protest bazaar in Siam square area. I tried to convince my traveling companions to go try golden bay leaves but they were absolutely insistent in shopping so we went to central and central world on the end. :/

Also the bazaar had some ridiculously overpriced clothes. 200 bahts for an imitation t shirt purely because it has the Thai flag colors, wtf.

Today the stage at ratchaprasong has someone speaking but there were barely any audience. It feels like a balloon has deflated.

E: some pics I caught yesterday at Siam Square . I doubt it will be like this any time soon.

E: images on android awful app is terrible.

http://imgur.com/JXLDWQL
http://imgur.com/SxwL3Y3
http://imgur.com/VRx6hec
http://imgur.com/BuipHAG
http://imgur.com/o6d8X84

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 3, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I don't know if it's kosher to put up :lol: vacation pictures but here's a link to my photos of the election/protest bazaar in Siam Square and Ratchaprasong, Bangkok from 31 January to 3 February 2014:

http://imgur.com/a/TDfUl

The night shots have a terrible red tint because of a global fault in HTC One phones, and aren't instagram filters.

Highlights I noted were:

Taken at the skybridge in front of Siam Station.

This is 31 January, a Friday, with the biggest crowd at the Ratchaprasong stage. At this point of time, none of the media I have read outside Thailand mentioned there was a bazaar going on in Bangkok and people actually made speeches while a band played. It was very surreal.

Also there were makeshift massage parlours.

There were lots and lots of patriotic flag-coloured stuff being sold. If it weren't for the number of people just rushing everywhere I would have taken so many pictures of girls in blinged-out thai-flag-coloured caps and dresses.

In front of Central World was a huge, half-finished Christmas tree, obviously abandoned when the protestors started putting up tents there. Most of the shopping centres were half-empty, populated only by local Thais in election-conscious clothing and hats and bracelets. There were very few Mainland Chinese, who presumably all ran over to Pattaya.

I don't know what the hell this lady was doing but somehow people were giving her money to look at the baby.

We went to Asiatique which was the most horrendous tourist trap ever. There was nothing protest-like except for this model hiding in a corner.

People lining up at Ratchaprasong for free brown goo.

An empty Intercontinental hotel. When I got back my friend in the hospitality industry told me hotels in Bangkok were sending SOS out to their headquarters because they had so few guests.

Even the royal silk company selling the overpriced poo poo in Central World was cashing in on it.

Election booth at Ratchaprasong.

Election night, at Siam Center/Discovery area. They had a huge screen that nobody looked at, and the loudspeakers were blaring speeches in Thai, English, and inexplicably, Japanese. I watched a guy getting facepainted with a Thai flag and nobody seemed to give a poo poo about politics when there was mad shopping to do.

Post-election day was a Monday and everyone had to go back to work. Turnout took a huge hit.

Even the economy felt it.

All in all I'm glad we didn't cancel my trip to Bangkok, despite the initial worry and the news which kept repeating STAY IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM DO NOT ENGAGE THE NATIVES. Very different from my last few times in Bangkok. I even managed to get one of those lovely SHUTDOWN BANGKOK RESTART THAILAND t-shirts. A++ would visit protest-hit BKK again.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 5, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This is the thing you do when you give the policeman money, right?

Back in Kuala Lumpur, today I got my car towed because I thought running down to grab a couple of stuff for 10 minutes shouldn't be a problem. Ha ha.

The fine is meant to be RM 150 but they added another RM 100 for "towing charges". Then they added another RM 50 because I needed to make a statutory declaration the car is mine, and then another RM 50 because "we could technically start taking things from your car and we were nice enough not to, so pay us our Nice Fees."

ReindeerF posted:

Frankly, we're much better at corruption here than in most of the neighboring countries. Thai cops will actually give you change on your bribes.

I wish we had Thai cops.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Char Kuay Teow (Char Kway Tee-o) - Flat noodles, can be done in a bunch of ways but usually comes with prawns/cockles and chilis in a weird gravy. People love it but for me it's hit or miss.

Yeah, this is really hit or miss. The best can be found in Penang, with large prawns and waxed pork (lap cheong). If you're in KL unless someone local fervently recommends one, skip it because it's usually too greasy and burnt. I personally can't stand the cockles (see ham) they include because it's likely unfresh.

quote:

Nasi Campur (Nassee Champur) - Like a buffet, you pick out what you want then add on a bowl of rice . This can be literally anything and price will be based on what you pick.

There are (sorta) different versions of this "Economy Rice". Nasi Campur is the malay version which commonly has fresh raw vegetables called Ulam on a dish close to the cash register. Chinese is Chap Fan which is usually not halal (they'll put up a sign if it is), and has porky dishes and likely an assortment of tofu.

Then there's the Indian-Muslim Nasi Kandar which is totally not economical at all, but they have a lot of good curries and can be very tasty. These are the places where you can also get good fresh Rotis, which can come in a lot of normal fillings (eggs, bananas) to local (kaya/coconut jam, planta) to... I've had this thing called Roti I Love You once and never again because I don't like having diabetes (sugar, milk powder?, milo hot chocolate powder, horlicks powder, some kind of sweet margarine thing).

quote:

cham - hosed up mix of tea and coffee

There's also Milo Dinosaur which... don't drink it.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 17, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

ReindeerF posted:

Every Chinese Malaysian taxi driver I meet is like Archie Bunker and it cracks me up to wind them up a bit and let them go. "So, I was reading about your old Prime Minister Mahathir, is he still around? Seems like an interesting guy..."

Mahathir is a major iffy topic and it's hard to bring him up without either someone (usually Malay) defending him vehemently, or someone (every other race, sometimes Malay) bitching about him for the whole journey. All taxi drivers in Malaysia are political activists behind the steering wheel.

I forgot desserts by the way which are actually really different and not bad here.

Yeah, definitely go for desserts. I don't care for Ice Kacang/ABC but cendol is usually good. If you're in Malacca's Jonker Street, you can find these delicious abominations called Durian Cendol where they dump creamy, frozen durian into the mix. It's extremely filling so don't just take it as tea and think "yep I'll go have some satay celup for dinner because I have the stomach of a black hole".

quote:

Fruits

Others to consider:
Rambutan - little red or yellow hairy balls. Good ones are sweeter than candy, or sour with a sweet tang.

Durian - Just to add to lemonadesweetheart's guide, the best variety is called "Musang King". Not cheap. In SS2 Petaling Jaya, there are these stalls selling All You Can Eat Durian which I don't trust at all, because most likely they are giving subpar durian unless the person you're with knows the owner.

If you can't stand the fruit, there're gateway food like durian candy (blech), freeze-dried durian (debatable) and durian ice cream (all right). Any orang puteh who eats durian is revered as king.

Mangoes - Thai waterlilly mangoes are better in Thailand and cheaper. Go buy it there, not Malaysia. Some good ones are: (a) Dark green, stout and fat mangoes, with orange flesh, are called "Hitam Manis" (Sweet Black). Very sweet and tasty. (b) pale, long, sometimes ending with a rounded "hook", with pale yellow flesh, are called "Gajah" (elephant). Lighter and refreshing.

MrNemo posted:

Oyster omelette

If a restaurant tells you they fry the oyster omelette with beer or Guinness Stout, order it immediately.

ReindeerF posted:

Do you guys have the same culture of condensed milk on/in EVERYTHING or is that a holdover from the American military days here? I don't recall seeing it nearly as much in my trips to KL and Penang. Another lazy dessert - toast with condensed milk on it.

I think the Thai has a stronger condensed milk culture. Most of ours are limited to drinks, but I think it also goes into ABC. I try to avoid it because it's palm oil extract nowadays.

ReindeerF posted:

Let us also take a knee while we consider the crime against the universe that is Asian pizza.

I've had:

Satay Pizza with peanut sauce (gently caress me kill me now)
Beef Rendang Pizza (OK I guess? Why is this more expensive than normal rendang)
Asian Seafood Pizza With Mayo (Kill everything)
Tuna Pizza With Mayo (Death is close)
Middle-Eastern Square Pizzas (Edible, hence never in menus ever again)

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 17, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

pomegranates posted:

Does anyone know how easy it is to get Malaysian food in Indonesia? Or how much crossover there is with the two cuisines? I love those weird ice desserts and if I can get them in Indonesia I'll be pretty chuffed. I'm already salivating at the thought of all the satay I'm gonna eat, too bad half my trip takes place during Ramadan.

EDIT: So I actually looked this up and:

:dance:

I think the Indonesians may have their own type of satay? May be mistaken though - I've only been to Bandung and Bali. I think it's somehow easier to get Indonesian food in Malaysia, since I keep seeing Ayam Penyet stores mushrooming, and there's that Bumbu Desa/Ole Ole Bali chain which is going strong.

And if it's anything like Malaysia, they should have Ramadan markets where they set up a bunch of stalls and sell a FUCKLOAD of amazing, super-unhealthy food during the hours before sunset until after dinnertime.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

I will murder the gently caress out of a plate of beef rendang. Only sad thing in KL is that the best place I've found for that so far is a mall food court since mamaks don't tend to do it.

Rendang is a Malay dish, not a mamak thing. Keep looking for anywhere that sells Malay Nasi-based dishes, there's definitely going to be one that serves it. I'm relatively sure there's at least ONE Nasi Lemak stall at one of the LRT stations which offers rendang daging, along with deep fried lungs and other kinds of crazy things.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Video of the grenade attack :stare:

:nws: http://vimeo.com/86981734 :nws:

:nws::nws:

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 18, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Cheap oil can be bought in huge plastic packets. There have been rumours (or maybe substantiated news) that street vendors typically don't even bother emptying them, and dump the whole thing including the plastic packet into the oil to increase crispiness as wid mentioned. I'd probably trust a place that is in a store more than something by the streetside operated by someone with only two teeth, but really if you see a bunch of people eating there, it (hopefully) should be fine.

The best goreng thing I have seen is in Siem Reap where a bike stall sold tarantula, and they look fried to death and limp and absolutely poo poo, for USD 1 each. And there's a sign saying "To take photo please pay USD 5".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

CronoGamer posted:

Usually the places which say that have a live tarantula there which the people are taking photos with. Surely that's what it was, right? Not trying to charge you $5 when you could just buy it for $1 and throw it away if you wanted after?

Ahahaha, no. He was trying to charge us USD 5 to take a photo of a cart full of deep fried tarantulas. You could either buy one and take a picture of it for USD 1, or take his whole cart for USD 5. When I pointed at the sign he got mad so we had to walk away really, really briskly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

I'm going to be going to Perhentian for diving in a month or so with Panorama diverts. Anyone here dived there before? It sounds like it's a very, very quiet place with some pretty but very relaxed diving. I've been offered a 4 day 8 dive package that seems pretty laid back from my experience of diving trips but might be good as I haven't dived in over a year.

Is this an accurate impression? Is that pretty typical for diving in this part of the world? Should I be allowing for a day or so traveling either side? I'm getting the impression that I'm used to doing stuff on a tighter schedule trying to got more in than these guys are used to :everythinginsoutheastasia.txt:

Perhentians is near Redang Island, which is a tourist blackhole now and I'd strongly suggest not bother going to the latter. More than a decade ago, they made this Taiwan-HK film (Summer Vacation? The Chinese will call it "Mo Mo Tea/Cha") that was insanely popular, and they built a resort around the film set and all the people from China/Taiwan/HK will go there and just gently caress everything up.

They recently made a sequel to that film at Lang Tengah, one of the Perhentian island bits and I'm kinda hoping it doesn't turn into a tourism shithole too. I think there's a spa resort there.

Perhentian islands are generally relaxing as hell, way quieter than you'd expect for a place with a reasonable number of tourists. For snorkelling, corals have gone a little bleached nowadays, but diving is apparently still good. Local divers are fun to hang out with and regardless of the whole Muslims Should Not Touch Alcohol bullshit, the'll be those who are perfectly willing to go out drinking.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I didn't catch the "travelling to Perhentian" question. Fly to Kota Bharu - it's closer to Besut. Then take a cab or bus there, and take one of the small ferries/speedboats there. Do not take the barge (which I think doesn't go from Besut) because that is a goddamn nightmare from a Mad Max movie and you don't want to be in that poo poo. I don't know the schedules off my head (check out not just Airasia, but also Firefly and Malindo airlines), but the ideal time is that you step out from the plane, take a bus/cab to Besut - which should NOT be 7-9 hours, probably 3 or so - arrive in Besut before 9, catch a speedboat that takes about 1-1.5 hours, and you'll be there around lunch hour.

If you are driving from Kuala Lumpur, then it COULD be 7-9 hours.

E: I haven't been to Perhentian/Besut since 2012, but I recall there are dive shops in Besut you can schedule trips at?

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 21, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Pattaya is practically Mainland China central now, don't go there.

http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2013/dec/22/chinese-tourism-changing-the-world

quote:

Pattaya's spectacular ladyboys are another example of something they can't see back home. (On one tour group's itinerary, the Chinese word used to describe them translates as "person-creatures".) After the show, the sequin-bedecked performers in towering headdresses crowd into the lobby to pose for photographs with tourists for an extra charge of 40 baht (80p) a time. "Please inform management if the artists misbehave," says a large sign warning about potential overcharging. But on this occasion it's some of the Chinese men who misbehave by trying to squeeze the ladyboys' breasts during their photo sessions. "They think it's OK because the breasts are not real," says Wu wearily.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

Flying out of KL LCCT to Kota Bharu. KL side I know they don't give much of a gently caress, at least regarding liquids any way.

Also how long do you reckon before the Chinese government starts demanding apologies for the handling of the incident?

I'm surprised they didn't immediately asked for it. Losing radio contact completely is really weird and unheard of at this time and age.

Domestic flights are usually more relaxed. They put your bag through a scanner but I don't know a line cutter well enough to think it may get picked up in the monitors. If it's the other way round (from kb) they don't give a single poo poo. From what I know Airasia is way more concerned about your bags being overweight (so they can charge you) than anything else.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

MrNemo posted:

Go to a ping pong show /caberham

Also I flew Malaysian airlines today and it landed where they said it would. I don't think there were any African Iranian guys on board though so maybe I lucked out.

Probably because this is your plane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amS3tsCQVNU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Bomoh is the melayu word for wizard/witch just in case anyone is wondering what the gently caress. Those guys are using their magic to help locate the plane.

I don't know if this is a doctored image but I sure am glad that the POTUS will be reminded of these people whenever he sees the word "Malaysia":

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Malay tradition of butt-wiping is to use your left hands, not toilet paper (I can't recall why). Hence the bum gun.

This is intrinsically tied to why it's rude to give/accept anything to/from a Malay person using only your left hand, because it's your poo poo-smeared claw.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Sarongs aren't buttwaterproof sheesh. I can't believe I have to say this but seriously the only valid reason not to use paper after is if there's none.

Next you guys will tell me you squat on toilet seats for authenticity of the Asian experience.

Uhrm I'm sorry don't you know the seats are there for you to squat on? You shouldn't be sitting on it like some orang puteh philistine.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

To give your butthair some well-needed volume and shape.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'd totally be into it if you post pics. Haven't had the chance to dive there myself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

My family's going over to Krabi somewhere in May or June, and quite likely we'll be staying near Ao Nang. It's more of a "let's sit back and chill out" thing. What are some good places for local food, drinks, stuff to do, etc?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Thanks for the Krabi recs. Didn't know about the monkeys, so the niece is probably going to get a kick (until we start comparing her to them). Not sure about the mountain climbing myself since I'm poo poo at it, but I'm gonna give it a look.

Also thanks MrNemo for diving pics. If you're really into diving in Malaysia, I'm told Sipadan is loving amazing, although the hostage situation right now means it's probably not the best time to go...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

sinking belle posted:

Hi SEA thread. Water rationing loving blows. Best regards from jungliest Selangor.

They're still rationing water? Isn't it thunderstorms every two days or so now. (KL is not rationed)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'm in Segambut/Mt Kiara area and there were maybe two days of rationing last month, and then it was smooth sailing all the way.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I just discovered this thing is being served in Malaysia

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Apparently it is possible to get food poisoning from un-fresh seafood in Krabi, a town famed for its beaches and islands and the ocean. I don't understand how these things work.

The restaurant/tourist trap has the most incredible menu and I really have no way of explaining other than by this picture:

Every single page has that anime boy stationery and all the words are multicoloured.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

KL is still having the lovely loving haze so stay away.

I may get seconded to Yangon for a few months from Nov onwards. Is there anything particular I need to know about?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

My question got buried somewhere before but I kinda still want to know what to expect when I go to Yangon, Myanmar, if anybody knows anything about it.

I'm Malaysian so I'm fairly aware of mosquitoes (lol) but my Singaporean colleagues have been informing me (a) avoid street food because they are all made of cigarette ash and deep fried turds (b) use bottled water for everything including baths and (c) if you don't take taxis everywhere you would either fall through pavement holes which form under your feet, or get repeatedly raped.

Please also advise if my Singaporean colleagues are just being loving Singaporean.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'm already very excited about the 'boring as poo poo' aspect. Oh god, I have to be there for 2-3 months :(

(The work apparently is very exciting because Myanmar is meant to be one of those third world countries that are finally opening up to globalisation and capitalisation etc but I'm vaguely apprehensive about it)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

duckmaster posted:

I went to Mandalay earlier this year which is apparently a smaller version of Yangon. Random Burma info (sorry about my writing style, I'm very hungover):

Thanks for the writeup. This is really useful and better than the Singaporeans constantly telling me about the bottled waters etc. And yeah I've been passed pictures of those pavement holes which are very charming.

E: I'm trying to locate a series of alarmist "advice" my sister's friend passed her but the email seems to have gone into the void. I'll post it when I find it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

E: I'm trying to locate a series of alarmist "advice" my sister's friend passed her but the email seems to have gone into the void. I'll post it when I find it.

This was what I got (truncated some bits):

quote:

I HATE IT HERE. REALLY AND TRULY, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW ANYONE CAN STAND IT.

There is a big range of quality of living for expats here. The rent is expensive. And not worth it. One can live in a hovel for 200/month. With this you get a bucket shower, a squat toilet that uses the bucket to flush. Concrete floors. No air con. A single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. No furniture or kitchen appliances.

The hygiene is bad here. Everything is dirty. I don't really like [the food]. It's really its own thing. It's not like indian or chinese or thai or cambodian etc...

Taxis are cheap but they are terrible drivers.

The filth is inconceivable. It's mindblowing. And they just don't understand hygiene. A guy tried to serve me a plate of rice with ashes that had fallen from his cigarette and ants crawling on it. They use public communal cups for water on the street.

A lot of people like it. Are you buddhist? There are temples. There is an ancient city of temples.

Is your brother healthy? Like physically fit? The sidewalks are pretty rough here.

:shepface: YAY :shepface:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

It's a fair reminder that all human lives are temporary and that you should strive not to be the next dead SEAgoon.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

duckmaster posted:

What kind of work are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

And more importantly, how much are you being paid? Are we talking SE Asian wages or western? Will you get some sort of hardship allowance, is your company paying your accommodation etc?

The country is expensive by SE Asian standards especially to live anything close to a western lifestyle. We got talking to a couple of expats in a western bar in Mandalay and they recommended we go to some hotel the next day for "the cheapest brunch in town".... only $20 each! The more money you've got the better, it's not a place for backpackers to bum around for a few months. Well, not unless they live in a temple and "find themselves".

The communal water pots are a bit weird but I drank from them a few times and had no problems. The water in them (officially) comes from government water plants which treat the water first, although not up to Singapore or western standards obviously. The tap water is considered unsafe, but literally everywhere serves free tea all day everyday so at least you know its been boiled.

There are local/western tiers of prices in many countries but it's very pronounced in Burma and they're not remotely ashamed of it, and in many ways nor should they be. For things like bottled water it might get expensive getting them from a supermarket everyday, so make a Burmese friend and ask him to buy them in bulk for you every now and then. I expect expats in your office will have a system for this. I met a guy in Cambodia moaning about the water prices; turns out he was buying litre bottles from a western supermarket at $1 each; go to a water seller by the side of the road and you can get them for 50 cents. Literally say hello in Khmer and it's 25 cents. Buy a 20 litre dispenser and get it filled for about $3, that's 15 cents per litre. So there are ways round everything! And you should be drinking beer anyway.

As for food, find the Indians and eat curries. There will be Indians, there are always Indians.

Although I did have the worst meal I've ever had at an Indian food stall north of Mandalay which literally tasted like poo

It's mostly legal/corporate stuff and I'm Malaysian, so it's my typical SEA wages plus an allowance which I'm hoping is not poo poo. The Singaporean colleagues are given the same allowance too but they aren't telling me how much it is. They told me though they have a water fountain in the apartment the company's housing me at with regular servicing so that can't be too bad, except I intend to drink a lot of cheap beer and be the That Guy.

A friend told me wine there is ridiculously cheaper than in Malaysia so expect me to fall into lots of potholes!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You thing Yangon is lovely and awkward, for reasons I don't care to explain I landed at Mong Hsat "airport" and had to visit some villages north into the mountains. Someone literally offered me rice with blood in it, fresh, from an animal he just slaughtered.

?

Taiwanese pig blood cakes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

I'm sorry I don't know Poon but I know people with the name "Ericz" and also I used to know a "Power Jackson".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

retpocileh posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask but figured I'd give it a shot. We're almost 2 months into our trip around SEA and my gf is running low on money. We're trying to make it one more month, and we're currently traveling through Vietnam and probably heading to Cambodia next. I have enough money to mostly support us but it's gonna be really tight. Do you guys have any ideas for how she can make a little money along the way without a huge commitment, either in person or online?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

This morning I farted.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Remember to check if any girls you are talking to are in fact boys!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

It's a SEA thing actually it plays in every karaoke EVERYWHERE

Also Bon Jovi - It's My Life the worst dadrock song of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Sing karaoke sir. Then drink many singha and hug Thai girl. Maybe one marry you yes? No shy shy!