Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I'm coming to Bangkok in October am I going to be rained on to all poo poo or will the weather start getting better? I've booked for a three day weekend and can only be in the city.

Also I'm arriving at BKK at around midnight so should I just download Grab to get a car or try my luck with taxis?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

EconOutlines posted:

Well, I booked 5 days in Taipei followed by 5 days in Tokyo in November. Time to start doing some research I suppose.

If anyone wants to throw out any tips or suggestions, feel free.

Go to Jiufen, it's a day trip from Taipei. Go up 101, go up the Gondola if the weather is good (which it should be in Nov.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kru posted:

Is that the place with the wee boat you can take to the MRT?

I am staying at the Anatara Riverside (in Thon Buri) this four day weekend and they have a little boat with a Trader Vic's sign that takes you to the nearest sky train. It's a very nice place and not that expensive compared to what I'm used to, and a beautiful view of the river.

Yesterday my wife and I went to the museum of Contemporary Art, which closed at 6. It took us 2 and a half hours to get back to the hotel by taxi. This has been without a doubt the worst traffic I've ever experienced in my life. We're now heading back from a day trip to the bridge on the river kwai, and let's see if it just takes 3 hours to get back like they say.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm in Hanoi for the weekend. It is cold,, colder than Taiwan right now. So much that I wish I brought my winter hat. I'm walking towards the French quarter and the sidewalk just stops, so I'm waiting for traffic to stop so I can cross to the other side. And old granny stops near me. Looks at me, walks into heavy traffic. Walks slowly across, looks back at me, keeps going. She just owned me so hard I wanted to laugh.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atlas Hugged posted:

A fruit vendor who operates outside my usual 7-11 approached me shortly before the extension was official but was already strongly rumored. I handed her cash and then the next day I got a phone call telling me there was an unlocked truck in a particular location and that I should help myself to 12 beers from the front seat, so long as I had a bag in which to conceal them.

What else fell off the back of that truck?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pilsner posted:

Can anyone comment on the climate of Singapore? I've read lots and lots by google searching, most seem to agree it's almost annoyingly hot and humid. I've been to many cities in Philippines, which is also near the equator, and where it's also super hot, humid and has random rain, and while I don't really like such weather, I can deal with it. Siem Reap in 2018 was also steaming - that feeling when you pull down your completely sweat-soaked underpants in order to sit on a filthy toilet in the jungle. :)

If I can deal with Philippines weather (for example Manila or Cebu), will I find Singapore about the same? Or worse? Planning on going in either October 2020 or February 2021.

Singapore looks very interesting, I would be going with my 8-year-old son. I like big cities with lots to do.

Singapore is on the equator. Which also means that for the most part, the weather is gonna be close to the same no matter what month. It rains a little more in the winter.

As close to a straight line as you're gonna get for a city. Just a little bump in may/june.

I went there in Feb. 2019. It was pretty loving hot. And I got sunburned on my head, even though I was wearing a hat 99% of the time. At the same time, being at the end of a peninsula surrounded by water means that it generally doesn't get super, super hot as well - hard to find a 40C day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is a statement that needs clarification because what is this referring to specifically. Current quarantine rules? News incidents of tourists getting attacked? What?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

At least for Singapore if you're staying close to City Hall/Chinatown you could take public transportation to most places around the city. When I was there in 2019 we could walk to several of the touristy spots (Merlion, Flyer) from our hotel.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For a different perspective, in 2019 I stayed at the Anantara Riverside Bangkok, which is not situated in the center of the city but there is a ferry every 30 minutes that could take you on a little cruise to a tram stop (Saphan Taksin) and that was good enough to get around the rest of the city. Just a quick google is saying it is cheaper than the Sheraton mentioned (it was maybe 150-200 a night when we went), and well...the areas it could get to by ferry seemed more family friendly if you are taking kids. They also had day-trip packages coordinated with a couple other hotels to go outside of the city (we went on a day trip to the Bridge on the River Kwai and took the old train back.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

a decent school would pay for your kids tuition, as is a common perk at the upscale international schools

edit: thought this was the k-12 thread

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hit up the Patronas Towers, they aren't the tallest in the world anymore but still really big and a great view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Expect 38 to 40 c on days without rain unless you are at a mountainous area. It's been pretty bad and there was one day where I stepped out into the sun to fix a broken meter for an hour I could feel my skin drying up under the heat.

gotta get that crispy skin, I bet you would taste delicious