Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

meds

Also when poo poo does hit the fan, or hopefully just the toilet/hole in the ground repeatedly and you are stuck in some small town w/o any english speaking doctors, just take the drat immodium/loperamid or whatever pill you brought to completely shut down bowel movements and get to the nearest city with a real doctor. Trust me, a week of diarrhea before you give in is not worth it, and your travel insurance cover anything anyway, so just get the most expensive doctor you can find :p

And for those that wonder why I was stupid enough to learn this the hard way, I was generally feeling very well all the time so I was sure it would end soon. No fever or pain at all, just had to stay near the toilet. Apparently that is a sign of parasites that the body doesn't realize are doing bad stuff to you so you want fight the infection or something.

Go find a doctor asap, you can always backtrack if it was something you wanted to see or do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010

freebooter posted:

VISA HASSLE FUN!

Vietnam: Does Vietnam have a 90-day period of validity from date of issue, so you can jsut show up and activate it (by entering the country) as long as you do it within three months? Or is it just your 30 days of being in the country for the dates you specify on your application form, enter no earlier and exit no later, absolutely inflexible?

Thailand: Because we're entering overland (15 days) we decided to apply here in Australia beforehand, but the consulate demands a photocopy of our air ticket to "make sure" the dates match up or some bullshit. We haven't booked tickets yet (not going til April, waiting for prices to fluctuate) and I tried explaining this but apparently it's a hard and fast rule. This seems like bullshit to me. I'd understand if they wanted to see evidence we were LEAVING the country, but not that we will be ENTERING the country. Why the hell would I apply for a visa if I wasn't really going?

We got the Vietnam visa from the embassy at home before going and then the visa was specified as enter after xx and leave before xx. Fair enough, but we was stupid enough to put the date we actually planned to enter and leave, and was left with a 14 day visa for the price of a one month one. YAY! I don't think there would have been any issue entering after the date set though, so better add some days to the start and/or end if you aren't sure exactly when you are going to enter/leave.

As for the Thai visa. WTF? You need a ticket to Thailand to get visa in advance that you only want because you are entering over land?

Anywho, going from Cambodia back to Thailand last year I found a cheap flight to avoid that visa hassle. Was $30 from Phnom Penn to Bangkok :) (+$25 airport tax that you need to pay in cash after you have checked in...)

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010
I used one of these to keep my cash hidden. http://www.eaglecreek.com/media/products/main/40441/40441-BK.jpg A lot more comfy than those holster things, and I would think more secure too. Its not too hard to spot those underneath a t-shirt after all. Can't use that for passport though, I always keep that in my front pocket along with whatever cash I think Ill spend for the day. If you get into a shady (or crowdy) area just put your hand in the same pocket, and you are safe for pickpockets. Sure you can still get mugged, but held at gunpoint or whatever I would be happy to give up any cash they can find and my passport anyway. Any loss like this is probably covered by your insurance anyway, and you will be able to get a new passport/travel papers from your embassy/consulate wherever you are.