Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Hantu posted:

Malaysia is generally a peaceful country though there are some religious flare-ups quite recently (the Malaysian Catholic Church uses the name "Allah" for Jesus, yes, go figure, and the Malays don't like it).
First of all, great post. I'm sure it will come in very helpful to anyone planning on visiting. This one thing you said isn't exactly true though. They want to(and actually have been for centuries) use the word "Allah" as the Bahasa Malaysia translation for the English word "God". A seemingly small difference, but very important in terms of the legality of the act. I'm also not sure why you're so eager to paint all Malaysians as being afraid of talking politics. Mostly everyone I know here would gladly talk your ear off given the opportunity. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Can someone who's been to Koh Lipe tell me if it's worth visiting for someone who can't dive? I've got friends planning a trip there mid November and while I agreed to go at first I'm no longer feeling it. I'm Malaysian, so it's not like I'll be traveling halfway around the world like some of you guys, it just seems like another beach to me. I guess I'm looking for some impressions of the place to help me make up my mind.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

^^^
So did you end up doing Bromo?

Steve. posted:

Learn to dive there!
I really, really, really wish I could dive, but I have a sinus problem that makes it incredibly difficult to equalise pressure in my ears. Even flying is painful for me, I can't imagine what diving would be like.

u got mares in yr house fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 18, 2010

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thank you. It sounds like just what I need. drat this indecisiveness.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Ringo R posted:

I'm guessing you'll bring all your camera gear with you? Say hello if you stop by in Bangkok :)
Oh yeah, I'm not going to a place beautiful as that and leaving the camera at home. Congrats btw ;)

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Koh Lipe

So guess who just got back from Koh Lipe. :buddy: You were right about the snorkeling, very clear waters and lots of sea life to see once you get out of the main beaches and head for the tiny islands. The sea gypsy town is now a market street booming with bars, shops and massage parlors, with still more under construction. According to the locals there has been a rash of development within the last 5 years. Sad, but these things happen I guess. And yes, the dogs are still a menace when walking alone. I was up at dawn and basically alone on the beach except for a pack of dogs nipping at my legs and bumping into my tripod.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh great so now that's one more Thailand story that I get to tell like I'm a 55 year old British expat "WELL BACK IN THE DAY IN REAL THAILAND INNIT"
Heheh. Well things aren't quite so bad as that photo brendan poster up there. And the beaches really are amazingly beautiful. Bila beach in particular, just a tiny strip of sand with a chill little bar on it. gently caress I wish I was back there instead of the office.

u got mares in yr house fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

freebooter posted:

I know I'm already gigantic SE Asia sourpuss, but if you think Ko Lipe's beaches are beautiful then please sample Australia, where they aren't coated in rubbish and where the marine life is still alive.

Actually has anyone experienced Malaysia's beaches/islands? I blitzed through it on my way to Thailand, but then heard really good things and figured that in retrospect I should have gone snorkelling and diving there instead. What I heard was that because they're a first-world country they take a bit more care of their reefs, wildlife etc, confirm/deny
I will, as soon as the Aussie dollar stops being so drat strong against the Ringgit. :smith:

You must not have seen very much of Malaysia, because we are most definitely NOT a first-world country. West Malaysia has Pulau Perhentian which has turtles and cleaner beaches than Koh Lipe IMO and Lang Tengah which I hear is decent, but yeah East Malaysia is really where you want to go for our beaches.