Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

the heat goes wrong posted:

I saw that video too, and that girl wasn't skipping meals because plate of chicken costs 50 baht in Bangkok vs 25 in Isaan.
She was skipping meals so she would have enough money to pay back the mums bike loan (3000/month), plus sending her an additional 2-3000 cash every month.
If she didn't have to give her mum 6000 baht every month, she could afford plenty of mookatas with her friends.

Best​option would be either to get a remote job in the US/Europe or get some clients from there and run a small service business while living in Thailand.
yeah that's a good point. they definitely mentioned that it was harder for her because the prices were more expensive in bangkok but you are right in that those bike payments probably make it hard for her to eat at those prices.

Atlas Hugged posted:

There are in fact international schools that will give you a discount if you let them use your (white) kid in marketing materials. One school told a guy I know that his half-Thai son could get a similar deal, but for less of a percentage of the tuition, and he'd have to dye the kids hair a lighter shade.

jesus.

kind of related... feel like china's influence in thailand is growing pretty rapidly. last year (dec 2022) when i went, before china allowed travel, there wasn't much chinese influence. but now that travel is relaxed and the influx of chinese (and their yuan) has flown in i definitely see a lot more catering to them. almost more so than westerners. the only thing really keeping china from the "top spot" is that most thais speak english as their second language and the only way for most chinese to communicate to thais is by using english. so kinda hard to "soft power" influence a country where your own people have to speak english and all that... still it's interesting to hear a chinese and thai person communicating using their broken english.

there was a case though where i was at a laundry place trying to communicate when i needed them done.. the girl at the front went to the back and brought out another lady because she spoke some chinese. lucky for me that she did since it saved me 50 baht or so.

i do recall hearing that japanese people use to be catered to because a lot of auto manufacturers had factories in thailand. i definitely saw lots of japanese but it felt like less influence than the chinese.

also when thai people ask me where i'm from, and I say "america" (because no one knows what, "the states" is) they get a confused look and say, "oh but you look chinese/singaporean" i'm not sure how to address this because i'm pretty sure they are asking what country did i come from.. but they seem to be asking my ethnicity instead? maybe they think america is jus all white/black people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The law is vague enough but playing poker live can get you prosecuted and put in jail.

quote:

One of the many countries that does not recognize poker as a sport is Thailand. Although there are no specific local laws that prohibit the playing of poker, gambling is illegal as is having more than 120 cards – as per the Playing Card Act passed in 1943. So while not specifically illegal, there are enough restrictions to make playing poker online or live, illegal. And in almost all cases where people are caught playing poker, especially offline poker, people are prosecuted. Even with all of these restrictions, there are still some underground (illegal) poker rooms in Thailand, but the cost of being found in one can be a fine or even one year in jail. It is because of these penalties that most poker players in Thailand play online poker instead of offline poker.

At least for USD the rates at the currency exchange were way better than taking it out of an ATM. As long as you used crisp $100 bills. If you do take from an ATM make sure you refuse conversion, "NO TO CONVERSION" otherwise you'll get an even worse rate. Minimum though you have to pay an extra 100 baht for ATM withdrawal.

If we're talking Bangkok:

Again I would recommend exchanging bills at currency exchanges. It does take up time, especially in Bangkok because the Superrich's are so popular there. If you are at BTS Asok which usually has a long line at the Super Rich, walk down to the Metro Mall in the Sukhumvit MRT where there's a less used Super Rich there.

The "True Rate" of USD->Baht varied between 35.48 to 35.7 when I was there. Anything within 20-25 bips of the exchange rate you see on Google is a good rate.

Here is the one in Sukhumvit MRT on 1/29. If you look at Google it says the going rate was 35.63

I heard the smaller exchanges on Soi Arab offer very competitive rates but I've never been so unless you're near there it's probably not worth the extra 10-20 baht

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Does anyone know what detergent they use at all the laundromats? Its been like two weeks and they still have that scented smell.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Don't know if its a "Hidden Gem" but I really enjoyed, Oranuch Thai Dining. It's about 2-3 blocks north of Asok/Sukhumvit/Terminal 21. The food and ambience/decor was great. Also I thought that the owner knew someone in our party but turns out she was just being nice (we were a large party though).

http://www.oranuchbangkok.com/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

There's a bunch of videos but you can read for context.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

what happened in phuket?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

A Swiss rear end in a top hat kicked a woman sitting on the bottom of the stairs leading from the villa he rented to the beach. The steps were encroaching on public land and had previously been asked to be removed by the city, and this wasn't the first time he had had conflicts with people on the steps. His Thai wife says he doesn't need to apologize because he's a farang and farang don't need to apologize to Thais. He said it was fine because he didn't know the woman was a Thai doctor and he thought she was Chinese.

Thai media is having a field day with it.

yo wtf

quote:

He said it was fine because he didn't know the woman was a Thai doctor and he thought she was Chinese.

also lmao that all this has gotten everyone's stairs dug up from the properties along that area. lmao even if he survives not getting deported his neighbors will hate him.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I don't think he is. He's being investigated and the woman he kicked is suing. How is she going to collect on anything if he's already deported?

Edit: of course after i say that i read a news article saying they're requesting he gets deported.. but still, not yet!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Apparently this was also news...

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/03/...aurant-bangkok/

quote:

Bangkok—
On March 1st, 2024, Samran Rat police officers summoned a man who allegedly dined and dashed from Jay Fai Pratu Phee restaurant in Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, for interrogation regarding the incident.
The man in suspect, whose name was withheld by the police, was a former local government official. After a 30-minute police interrogation, the man apologized face-to-face to Jay Fai, the owner of the famous One-Michelin-Star restaurant. He also complimented her delicious Beef Pad Gra Prow.

The man reportedly told the police that he did not impersonate a police officer as the restaurant posted on social media. He simply had a memory disorder and forgot to pay the bills. According to Thai national media, he allegedly had never dined and dashed before.

Jay Fai publicly revealed that she would not file a legal report against the man as he is a Thai person and it was the first time that a Thai person had ever done this.

Furthermore, the restaurant would intensify the measures on collecting customer bills.

However, the police were under investigation to determine whether the man would be facing charges of impersonating a police officer or not.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

What about the British Farang who threw a glass at a woman petting a dog because the dog was being too noisy.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/british-man-throws-glass-at-thai-woman-in-anger-over-dog-barking

Mr. Sam negotiated with Ms. Amawalee and agreed to compensate her 18,000 baht for medical expenses. He expressed remorse and also apologized to the public through the press, affirming his love for Thailand and promising he will never commit such actions again.
https://thepattayanews.com/2024/03/...-to-compensate/

There is a video that I can't find anymore. He is obviously drunk and angry and says he'll pay.. but says drunkenly, "2 million, 3 million.. loving idiot" or something to that affect... got a bunch of people angry over it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 7, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Followup to the Swede who kicked the doctor (now nicknamed Doctor Kicker now in Thai News sites in English)

1. Was involved in a road rage incident in Dec. where he flipped off an Ambulance driver and when the Ambulance driver recorded the incident and posted it on social media, the Doctor Kicker reported that post to the Computer Crimes division in Phuket. He withdrew the complaint after they "settled" their issues.

So he was already being investigated and possibly having his business visa revoked when he decided to go ahead an do his trademark Doctor Kick. I guess the outrage from the Doctor Kick all but guaranteed his B-Visa being revoked

2. The cops found a pistol and a rifle in his house after they searched it... He's now also being charged with illegal possession of firearms.

3. They discovered that all but one of the elephants for his "Elephant Sanctuary" are actually rented elephants. So most likely that whole operation was a scam or covering for illegal activities. Cops are investigating...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

What would it be covering for? Sounds like he was just pretending to rescue elephants and charging people to see them.

It might be what you said, but I think they were implying it might be involved in organized crime. They've been kinda vague about it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I feel for a lot of Hapa kids here in the States because a lot of times their white fathers are actually pretty bigoted/racist and only married their wife because they assume all Asians were subservient so of course his father's attitude now shows up when he treats his half-not-white son/daughter. It is a hosed up thing. Obviously not all white people are like this but the ones that are really gently caress with their kids and you get a lot of self-loathing and anger towards themselves and others.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Really love spending time jiggering which country to fly into so I'm not paying nearly 4x more all because i want to fly into a non-hub city.

United:
SFO -> SIN? Sure no problem: $1623
SFO -> BKK? Oh you think you're funny huh? $6292

I don't even fly in at a nice time into Bangkok.

And this is for Economy... I can't sit in Economy cause my legs feel to strained so at bare minimum it's Premium Economy, which when I was looking around United is almost priced the same as Business Class. What's the name for the effect where one of the options isn't really an option other than to make the other options look "better" in comparison?

Then I go onto EVA Airlines just to see. There are 6 levels of Economy/Premium Economy. I can figure out the difference between Economy/Premium but not sure what the 3 levels in each group signify.

Also I hate how Google Flights can find trips that aren't showing up on United. It's not even with points I'm just looking at Money.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 1, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I was going to suggest Batu Caves, as I am also looking at KL during my trip. But I heard it is a bit tacky and tourist trapped out now.

It also has a lot of stairs, so maybe not your cup of tea.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

do you mean the KL eco park in the middle of the city?

also seems like KL has pretty good public transportation? there's a rail system, an MRT and buses, right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Speaking of KL.. I know one person who lives there but she recently had kids within the past year... what's a good gift to get for her? is there stuff in KL or Malaysia that is hard to get or expensive to import from America? She is not Muslim but from Taiwan and I have read that wine is kind of hard to get in KL, so maybe some wine? The info is kinda dated though so I don't know if that's true now.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

They're a year old at best, I think anything will wow them.

Maybe I'll look into getting them a nice wine from Napa Valley then. I actually don't know if she or her husband drinks (or if he might be Muslim) so I'll probably have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I'm thinking about visiting the Isan area of Thailand.. Specifically Udon Thani.. then maybe go into Laos (I know US citizens need to fill out a visa... but is it a hassle to do at friendship bridges?).. Is there anything specific I need to know going there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

My info is pre pandemic, but I seem to recall Laos requires you to do the visa application and payment in the airport once you arrive on the spot. I believe there are ways to obtain the visa in advance but it is more expensive as you need to pay an agent.

okay i may not want to deal with adding another country then... :|

how's the heat over there in SE Asia now? i am hearing tons of reports about the extreme heat.