Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding non-shady looking teaching jobs in Cambodia. I liked Siem Reap, and I'd like to teach there, but Phnom Penh would be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

I am pretty sure the entrance fee for foreigners to get into the Golden Palace is the scam :colbert:

Honestly in some places it's hard to tell which things are scams. The best thing to do to prevent getting scammed is arming yourself with knowledge. For instance, I bought my visa to Cambodia in advance and knew roughly what the "bus scam" consisted of. This way, when my bus driver stopped at a restaurant just outside Aranya Pratet, I enjoyed some overpriced curry and not paying $50 more for a visa than I had to. A few people on my bus got taken by this scam because they spoke with us all individually (so we couldn't warn each other about what was going on) and made it seem like buying the visa there was the right thing to do. When I arrived in Siem Reap, I had a guest house picked out beforehand so the taxi driver didn't shuttle me to whatever joint he had a deal with. Aside: it was the Happy Guesthouse, the best place I've stayed anywhere in the world, ever. It was $7 dollars a night because I sprung for A/C.