Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have met Sweeds that drunk who could scream convincingly in an American accent, I will say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In any case godbless great emissary, ship of my soul

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
LET

ME

DIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

I've just been informed by a friend back in Chiang Rai that they went to a Big C today to get some passport photos done, and my photo is up on there to advertise the British passport option. :wtf: I never got my photos done there and I have no clue how it could have gotten there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

The weirdest thing about Chinese tourists is that I lived in Thailand for seven years. I saw Chinese tourists every day, almost everywhere I went. But I never once talked to one. It never, ever seemed like they wanted to engage whatsoever outside their group. Even when they're trying to cut in a line or something and you say something to them, they look through you with this weird blank expression like you don't actually exist. It's so drat weird.

I think the most meaningful interaction I ever had with a Chinese person was in a mall in Phuket shortly after my son was born. He was in a pram, and this Chinese lady saw him and came over and was cooing over him, but it was like, creepy cooing, where she was getting way too close to him and didn't take the hints that we wanted to move on and she knelt in front of the pram and honestly looked like she wanted to snatch the kid and run away with him.

I lived in one of NYC's Chinatowns and it's like that there too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Big C owns yo

The first time I went to visit my wife's family in Thailand (2010) all of her younger cousins said I look like Harry Potter. For context my closest celeb look-alike is Michael Cera and even that's a stretch

I look a lot like Dave Matthews and the last time I was in Thailand the doctor I went to see to get some bs derm work done thought I was some actor I guess, I didn't ask her which one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway I pray for Mainlander death

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing about the big box stores in Thailand was that a lot of them have a little four shop foodcourt or whatever so you can get some gravy noodles before walking around the store to buy a green plastic washbasin about the size and shape of a car tire.

It may or may not come with a fitted strainer basket

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Hopefully if/when I die on a future visit to Thailand I will at least give someone a cheap laugh :v: I stay glued to my wife and her family whenever I'm over there though, which is how I've survived this long already. I should really go back through my Thai language tutor notes before my next trip there...

Maybe pick up some Swedish that seems to help

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used motorcycle taxis to get around Cambo for the most part. Busses for trips between cities. Guys loitering around on their bike with a ballcap on can be hired by the trip or for longer. They don't speak much English but you'll figure it out, its fine. In Phnom Phen they are even fairly honest about the prices (which I'm sure have gone up since I was there -- a quick trip was between 50 cents and 2 dollars depending on distance), not that I really get bent out of shape about getting hustled out of 20 cents if they go that route instead.

I rented a bicycle to look around Angkor but I was there in April (hottest month) and wished I had rented a mototaxi guy instead (they drive you to a temple and wait outside bullshitting with eachother until you come out to go to the next one, most will agree to do this for the day at a certain price, many will happily let you book them for several days and be waiting outside your hotel in the morning for you). It was however nice to be able to cruise around the city a little though, I'm not really a highlights kind of guy I just go somewhere and start looking around to see whats there, so even when I was in Siem Reap I did some of that.

My mototaxi guy for the killing fields (Phnom Penh) did his best to also be a tour guide despite having been in a wreck the day before, having a horrible limp, and speaking no English. He improved the overall Touel Sleng experience by pantomiming torture methods employed near the sites they were employed at and was very friendly. At the killing fields at the end of day he told me to head on back to the parking lot if I was ready and I pretty much was but he hanged back a little to rip a piss into one of the former mass graves before limping along to catch up.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPiGHK2V6o

raton fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 15, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
mai pen rai khap

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

When I travel I literally just roll into the first bar I see and hope for the best.

When I went to Kanchanaburi I didn't know where the bars were so I followed younger people on their motorbikes around town for a while and then I found all the bars.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

Aeeeiiii... Rrruuurhh... Eeeuughaaaaajävla... Ffffeeeehh... Keeel mee!

That guy rules

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gunstav posted:

What is the appeal of Chiang Mai? A lot of people say it's a must visit in Thailand, but most of the recommendations are temples and cooking classes... Am I missing something?

It's relaxed, there are mountains around, and it's not as hot as Bangkok.

The Thais up there are even more placid and gentle than the rest of them.

Maybe 10% of the people who say they love Chiang Mai do so because they want a less urban setting or mountains or they like the Northern food and culture more. 90% of the Chiang Mai is a must visit people however I think are basically telling you "I found the world's most opaque giant sized tourist bubble where you can pretend to be abroad but speak nothing but English all day and eat the food you eat at home and the internet is okay, also the elephant camps I love elepahants heheh I'm girl elephants I love them"

It also used to be so cheap to live there that it was basically free -- I mean you could get an aircon apartment for less than 200 USD a month without really trying (way less if you tried), food was about fifty cents a meal. That's probably all at least doubled by now but whatever.

On the negative side, it's absolutely glutted with tourists (more so than anywhere I've been that wasn't a theme park) and is the drop-shipping retard capital of the world, has a "public" transportation system that basically guarantees it's 40 minutes to go anywhere you want to go, and is stunningly boring.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Most everything that people rave about as part of Chiang Mai happens outside of Chiang Mai. You can base yourself out of any number of the cities up there and do the same things. There's nothing wrong with Chiang Mai, it's fine, but it's become very overcrowded in recent years, especially since the Chinese influx. Still, if you want a major airport and plenty of tourist amenities in addition to access to all that, Chiang Mai is a good choice. These days, with all the LCC flights, you can base yourself our of Chiang Rai, Lamphang, Phrae, Nan or a number of places and access a lot of the same things.
This is a thing you hear a lot, and I thought so too. Historically, the second largest city was Hat Yai in the South. These days, I think it's Korat, which is the gateway to Isaan - can't remember for sure. Chiang Mai is a large city for sure, but much of the growth in perceived size is entirely due to tourism. These things get weirded up, though, because of the SAR status of some Thai city-provinces.

My understanding is that Khorat is #2 but that's just based on poo poo I read online and like you said the population figures you see online aren't reliable because what they call one "city" is often actually a county or whatever

It's also a little weird to point out that Chiang Mai or Khorat are #2. It's not like the step from NYC to LA. Bangkok has something like 12 million people in the metropolitan area (official numbers are around 6 million but from my understanding they don't count all the population that is seamlessly adjacent, my numbers could be wrong though). Khorat is at max one million and feels like it's probably half that, same with Chiang Mai. Bangkok is the only serious city in Thailand.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

That's a very interesting point of discussion in analyzing inequality in Thailand versus some other developing countries. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that when wealth is distributed across more places you have a greater distribution of wealth. That Thailand has managed to maintain feudal levels of wealth and income disparity is not only amazing, but clearly intentional. As the researchers at Yale have pointed out, because Thailand was never truly colonized it never experienced decolonization, which means that the ancien regime was never displaced; it simply started wearing uniforms and using Western titles. It's a fascinating petri dish in that respect. There's no strategy on paper that can explain without benefit of retrospect how to go from 1900 Thailand to 2018 Thailand, but here it is, doing what it does.

Winner's curse

US comes out ahead in WWII and never develops a real worker's movement / healthcare system as a result

Thailand runs ahead during colonialism and as a result the old feudal manacles are still way too intact

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I went to Angkor

It's good

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xtCOZzAzcE

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

My wife's parents are taking us to Koh Lipe as part of our visit next week, anyone ITT been there and have anything I should talk them into doing there?

E: Thai outlets are 220 V, right? Gotta remember which little voltage converter I brought last time...

Koh Lipe is a tiny tiny island. One thing I'd advise is to be on the side of it you plan to be sleep on (there are bungalows on two coasts) by the time the sun goes down. The sea gypsy village is in the middle and they keep a bunch of fuckass dogs there that harried me through the village in a manner that had me take my knife out and get it ready one time.

Anyway Koh Lipe is very pretty

There isn't a ton to do actually on the island beyond "hang out on the beach" but it is a launch point for Tarutao which is one of the few Thai islands that someone hasn't found a loophole to build housing on yet. You can go camp there, probably there are day trips I forget

When I went to Lipe I got on the wrong boat (the main ferry was addressed over several hours by a series of small boats you jump down to that ferry you to different islands) and ended up on a speck of an isalnd with four bungalows that were operated by a crazed German, it was fine I got to spend the night with this spider

raton fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 10, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DarcWhIChV4

The sea gets hotter = we get more jellyfish

Learn to eat the jellyfish

It is

Okay

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ate one of these snails before and I forgot I ate it until I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YR6s-x2KZk

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I usually get suggestions for the Very cute girl catches so many fish ones where it's some Cambodian girl digging a hole in the mud of some sort that a bunch of mudskippers fall in to overnight

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is also for Indonesia, it's just less visited than some of the other countries (not that it's worse or anything, although some parts have very little in the way of tourism infastructure)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/IzPUfYK.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Heer98 posted:

Unfortunately probably not what my girlfriend wants for her birthday

So long as she doesn't require infinity pools she's at least a C+ threadwife in my very important book that you care about