Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

As far as I know, this actually *is* the thread theme song, first posted here by Ringo R a couple of years ago. Jonny Olsen's Lum Sing Hip Hop is a close second.

He never accepted my facebook friend request, what a noob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Haha. The last pictures I saw had him joining the monkhood back in America. He's whatever you call a Southeast Asian otaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZizFnSfrEQ this guy

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Rojkir posted:

Just landed in KUL, malaysia is a but rainier than expected. Will try to make my way to penang asap to see if I can catch better weather. Flying to JAK on friday. Anyone got any advice for activities and a hostel for three days penang? I like eating, drinking, cycling and scootering. Don't like taxis.

No recommendations for hostels but there is a club called "club 69" (lol) that a group of local gangster dudes gave me a bucket of beers because I was polite and said "oh hey sorry" after they pointed out they had hired out the swimming pool in the back of the club and I was checking it out. Remarkably friendly for any part of the world!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

kru posted:

No recommendations for hostels but there is a club called "club 69" (lol) that a group of local gangster dudes gave me a bucket of beers because I was polite and said "oh hey sorry" after they pointed out they had hired out the swimming pool in the back of the club and I was checking it out. Remarkably friendly for any part of the world!

"oh sorry I'm Scottish" is my trump card in any situation

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Awesome collection of Thai Film posters:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mutantskeleton/sets/72157630755427078/

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Anyone in Phuket, early Jan? I'm headed there for a few days for beers/cheers

kru
Oct 5, 2003

First day at new job in The Pore - wish me luck goonbros!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

If anyone's going to be kicking about in Phuket from Jan 5 for a few days, let's get some pints

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Bah, I think I have to be back at work on the 10th - let me check it out and see!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Also give a buddy a set of keys to your place so he can check up on you so you don't end up coffin-friendly

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Finch! Are you dead

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I will take you both out for "Pore Pints". I gather you are both foodies at well so I can probably trawl round a few hawkers with you, and hook you up with a few cheap places etc.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

About the food, throw us all you have.

Prepare your stomach. :unsmith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Should be fine. Just whatever you do, ignore anyone who approaches you to goto X place for X price and go into bars on your own. If you decide to follow someone into a bar, you'll probably be offered a beer, then ask if you want to buy a girl a beer. Then as soon as you take a sip of your beer, a ton of BS just happens.

If this happens to you in Singapore (and you are dumb and go along with it) - congrats! You just spent $25 USD on some girl that isn't going home with you. I keep warning people, but they never listen :unsmith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

drat it, wish I met up with you when I was in Singapore. We should have goooned out and head to orchard towers.

Haha, the PowerTower. I haven't been back for a while (I usually only attend with my girlfriend since it's 2000% less hassle to drink there). Apparently they deported my favorite band from Singapore who played in Moonshine in the back tower. They used to break out various Van Halen song when we arrived and now the dream is over :kiddo:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Skandiaavity posted:

Yeah, the Shwarma in Manila is real good. Looks shady as hell, but it's safe - and delicious - to eat.

Kauai's a funny place, too..

My favorite Shwarma place in Singapore opened up near me: 1 shwarma == $15 USD :cripes:

Thankfully, I know the owner of the original cart so he hooks me up at realistic prices.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

On a day trip to Cambodia I got all Scottish and said to a mototaxi guy "I'm Scottish and a rube do with me what you will". He didnt really understand and it was the the cheapest Moto about the place I had all 5 days. Turns out the more incomprehensible you are the cheaper fares you can hook up!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I rolled out of the Towers at 5.35am, sang some Van Halen to a room full of bewildered indian dudes and had a blast

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Reminder that I'm in Phuket from the 5th till the 9th, so if anyone's about lets have a pint. :kiddo:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I moved into a new flat by the way, so get ready for some updated 'Balcony Chat'

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Again, I'm flying to Phuket in T-minus 4 hours so if anyone's around goon a goon up!

Ringo - got a mediocre place I can head to without being hassled to hell by bar girls, or somewhere at least my girlfriend will be enough of a deterrent that I can drink in peace?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Heck lots of people already consider Phuket or Pattaya a beach paradise. Or stay in 5 star resorts and call it the day. I was actually surprised in a nice way in Raileh and the lesser big name places "what? girlie bars are rare?"

Phuket seems alright so far, but really it's just more of the same, and nothing that you couldn't get anywhere else in Thailand/Cambodia. I would wager however that I haven't seen the depths of despair it offers since I'm one of the aforementioned 5 star crew. In my defense, the bill is being footed for my holiday by my girlfriends parents, and I'm more of a 'Roof and it's good' type. Still, I'm enjoying my five days - possibly because compared to Singapore, everything is cheap, I can actually smile at people and they smile back etc.

Apart from the Russians. They need to lighten up somewhat. :scotland:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Voting for

SE Asia - They have a midget as an elevator man which gave the whole thing an upscale feel

as best thing ever

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Heh, I always referred to them as a "bum hose". I guess Bum gun works also.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Also: Filipinos make cover bands so good, that any local band will burst into flames when put into direct competition

kru
Oct 5, 2003

If you mean the place with the armed guard near Dhoby Ghaut, it's the Prime Ministers office

kru
Oct 5, 2003

nugzseeker 2 posted:

well its just thousands of prostitutes. Even inside the bars there are prostitutes. Wherever the hot normal girls go, it is not around here.

I know it's passe' but I had a little laugh. :)

Also: Nugzseeker lol

kru
Oct 5, 2003

This one time in Singapore I swear this dude gave me the stink eye :smith:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Reindeer and I were chatting about this earlier in the week, the only Singaporean (Apparently Brunei though??) video anyone should ever watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7f_2Cw-XhM

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

I actually went to a rave this weekend. In Tanjong Pagar. It was ridiculous. This is Singapore though, so it ended at midnight.

Tried to take things over to Home Club, but they were being raided by the cops at the time and by the time that finished we had kind of lost energy. I liked Home Club the other time I went though.

The friend who invited me to the rave has a lot of parties out in Hougang. I might have to check those out now.

Invite me you massive jerk

kru
Oct 5, 2003

creamyhorror posted:

I've heard legends of raves here, but never caught a whiff of one. Parties in Hougang, in some HDB? Even more legendary.

@kru: we need to get this guy invited to our whatsapp chat

We do! I'm actually back in Scotland for a couple of weeks to see the folks, but we should sort out something when I'm back.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Seek da nugs.

Also: I'm sitting in Edinburgh airport headed to AMS > then back to Singapore. Hit me up for a beer at some point Gail!

How's your project going ReindeerF?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm sitting in Schipol now, but I'll be kicking about from 5pm tomorrow onwards. God drat I can't wait to fire on the old shorts again and have a proper moan about how hot it is. :kiddo:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Just wear whatever and try not to look like a noob

this was my protip

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Singaporean expats ITT. Beware overly aggressive pants advice.

Choosing my 'pant' is a long drawn out affair I will have you know, it's not like the uncouth street of Bangkok where anyone can wear anything 'willy-nilly' as the Scots say

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Also Gail, I'm waiting for that pint, for shame

kru
Oct 5, 2003

You can go from Singapore to Batam (Bad) or Bintan (Good, I hear) for like $20

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Thanks for the advice all. Did you guys fly into Surabaya and bus it to Probolinggo, Sukapura and Cemoro Lawang? I'm thinking about flying to Surabaya on Saturday morning and flying out Sunday evening. From your comments that sounds like enough time, thoughts?

Have you given thought to your style of pant, vis-a-vis your trip?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I just wear jeans all the time and deal with it :dealwithit:

also apparently I have to buy more winter clothes to go on a business trip to Europe. It's pretty frustrating when I have binliners full in Scotland, but can only travel from here to Geneva straight :(

kru fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I rue the day Pant chat displaced Balcony chat