Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I call Vietnam writeup! (or at least the start of it, I know a lot of you have seen more of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Ringo, what is that font you are using for the images?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I like cheese!

(Writeup moved to OP)

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 1, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
We, (The T&T forum) should make our own Wiki....

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

brendanwor posted:

Anyone got some recommendations for things to do in Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh other than the war museums/reunification palace/Notre Dame cathedral and Killing Fields/Genocide museum/Sisowath Quay respectively?

Also, do I really need to exchange for dong in Vietnam or will I get by okay on USD?

Just go to an ATM and take out 2 million or so. Much easier than dealing with dollars. People will accept USD, but prices are in VND.

As far as Saigon is concerned, are you looking for cheap things to do or do you have a good amount of money?

The Zoo is pretty nice from what I hear, and I spend a night on the rooftop of the Rex Hotel. Overprices, yes. But it had a lot of good atmosphere and they set the mood as if it was 1965.

Make sure to head out of Cu Chi if you have the time.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

RangerScum posted:

I just got back from a relatively short trip in Thailand - 9 days.

Just posted a photo trip report here.

My blog, which I updated frequently during the trip, can be found here.

from Chicago???
:eek:

That is a long trip for that amount of time.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

RangerScum posted:

Agreed, but I only get so much vacation per year. Going to go somewhere a little closer next time, or save up every possible vacation day and take a 15 day trip or something.

I can't be one to talk though, I am in the same situation where I don't have much vacation time and I want to go to all these far off places...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Bulging Nipples posted:

The vacation has to be on the terms you can set. It would be fantastic if we could all have 4 months off to travel through southeast asia (and props to the people who can/are adventurous enough to) but sometimes we have jobs. Sometimes they are jobs that we like that we couldn't possibly get more than a week or two off, or aren't willing to quit to take a few months off. I went to thailand for 8 days a couple weeks ago. Was it long enough? No, but I had to be back at work on monday. I still had a blast, though and I'm off to Malaysia for a week on friday. Unfortunately I couldnt get the vacation in a giant block, but that's life. When I was in Thailand I had a ton of people scoff at my one week trip, telling me I wasn't seeing the true Thailand cause I wasn't backpacking for a month. Maybe in a way they are right, but you know what? gently caress them. It's YOUR vacation. Take the opportunities you are given and enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how long or short they may be. The way I look at it is: would you rather go somewhere and say "it just wasn't long enough" or not go at all?
Yep, I completely agree with this. I got back from 18 days in SW Asia from Vietnam -> Cambodia -> Thailand. Did I rush things? Yes. Did I not see all I wanted to see? Yes. Did I have an awesome time anyway? Absolutely.

It also helped that, because I am employed, I had a bigger budget to work with. This let me take flights everywhere and essentially remove myself from the budget traveling which so often takes up time.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

I tried to temper my review of Vietnam when I posted the original thread about 4 years ago, but it was the most dishonest and aggressive place I encountered in SE Asia outside The Philippines. Plenty of wonderful people and great experiences, but way more than its fair share of hucksters and ripoffs. The Philippines is probably just as bad, frankly, mostly due to English. Still, the further you get from the water in Vietnam the better everything is from what I gather. I've got friends that lived there for a decade now and they pretty much concur that it's way more aggressive, but they also enjoyed their time there and don't have any substantive complaints.

When/where did you go there? I had no problems outside the touts in Hanoi, and even then they were nowhere near as bad as the ones at the major sites in Bangkok.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone notice any cheap transpacific flights from the US this summer? Airfare to anywhere has appeared to skyrocket.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I think we need a Visa FAQ in the OP...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am kind of uneasy what is going to happen once the king inevitably dies. He seems to be the proverbial backstop to political unrest in Thailand, and everyone knows it.
When he is gone there will be a gap in power where a lot of public opinion will be up for grabs...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Do not bring Cambodian Reals out of the country, you will NOT be able to change them anywhere.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

dwoloz posted:

I changed some in Bangkok but you'll want to bring your lube... Best to use them up in the country as stated. Not likely you'll end up with much anyway since in Siem Reap and PP and elsewhere it's used only in lieu of US coins (<$1)

My friend who I was traveling with thought it would be a fantastic idea to change $200 into Riels at the Siem Reap airport. We kept telling him it was a bad idea and dollars would probably be fine (especially since the ATM next to the visa counter dispensed dollars to buy your visa in dollars), but he went through with it anyway. Lets just say he was not happy when we were leaving Bangkok...

I think I do have a few 1000r notes though hanging around, makes a good souvenir.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have decided to either cash in my FF miles to get a flight to "somewhere in Asia" for 11 days by myself before I start grad school. Been to Vietnam extensively, Cambodia in Siem Reap, and Bangkok/Pattaya for a few days (ie. not much of Thailand).

Would really like to see a new country. Thinking flying into Singapore and checking out the city and Malaysia a bit. Also considering flying into Hong Kong and then out of Beijing or Shanghai. I know its a short time, but I want to use my vacation. I can't take another big trip until next august because of school.

Any suggestions?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Most people I know who live here a long time like Laos the best for hanging out. Dunno what that's worth. I'm not a huge Singapore detractor, but to me it's not worth flying around the world for. Feels like a giant business district. Malaysia, what little I've seen of it (KL), is something I enjoy more - but really KL is the least interesting thing in Malaysia from what everyone tells me. If I were in your shoes, but also in my shoes, I'd hit Laos or Indonesia just because I haven't spent enough time in Laos and I haven't seen Indonesia at all - and everyone raves about the islands in Indonesia and pretty much everything except Vieng Viang in Laos.

That and I only got to see the armpits of Thailand (Pattaya @ Khao San, though I did spend a day at CentralWorld, RIP), so I wouldn't mind heading up to Chiang mai (or however its spelled) on my way to Laos.

What would be a good itinerary for like 10 days our of Bangkok?

EDIT

Can you rent a motorbike in Chiang Mai and take it into Laos? Would you want to? Rhombus unfortunately got himself banned...

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 1, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ringo R posted:

Although I've never tried I'm sure the answer is NO CAN on bringing your rented motorbike across the border. Otherwise people in the armpits of Thailand would be constantly renting and selling it across the border. I've heard stories that even Thais do this and some places refuse to rent to Thais :) They usually keep your passport as deposit or a hilarious amount of money (more than what the bike is worth).

As for itinerary, how about something like Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Laos (make your way down south to Vientiane or if you have time, Pakse) - Back to Thailand via Vientiane/Nong Khai or Pakse/Ubon?

E: Oh yeah, buses in Laos are usually old and slow so expect long transportation times!
That's what I am thinking, at least with the Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Vientiane and then renting a bike for 4-5 days putting around the countryside. Money isn't (too much) of an issue, and I would rather take quick flights over 12 hours on a bus. However, Laos doesn't seem very errr.. accommodating to that, so I shall see.

Another fun fact:
It is apparently only $5 to fly from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur on AirAsia...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Goddamn, airfare is so loving expensive now...

Last year I got an open jaw flight into Hanoi and out of Bangkok for $1050 in the middle of the summer. Now I can't get anything for less than $1650 round trip BKK...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I missed Dorkroom and this thread too much to stay away for long :unsmith:

Good luck, my experience using FF miles to travel to Asia over the summer was ludicrously inconvenient. I was booking like 8-9 months in advance and the best I could do was a 12 hour layover in Seoul, then there were a ton of blackout dates that basically required me to buy my own one-way ticket to get from China to Japan to fly home. Maybe I'm being obstinate or it's better now (4 years later) but I've never bothered with FF miles since.

You need ownership papers to bring the bike over the border to Laos, which you won't get without leaving an egregiously large deposit. Best bet is to rent in Laos: you can get XR250's in Vientiane for about $20-25/day, or a Minsk in Luang Prabang from Tiger Trails for I think $15? It's under the radar/not strictly legal because of UNESCO poo poo, but if you want a bike up there I think they're the best bet. You can get scooters in Vang Vieng, not sure about bigger bikes.

4-5 days is kind of an anti-sweet spot for Laos, figure a half day ride from Vientiane to Vang Vieng, most of a day from there to Luang Prabang. It'd be kinda rushed to go there and back, and you'd be repeating the same scenery (pretty impressive, especially the second leg) on the way back. If you want a kickin' Laos motorbike holiday, I'd suggest flying straight from Bangkok to Vientiane (or maybe Luang Prabang) and starting out from there, in order to give yourself more time. You can do a loop in the north to take in Phonsavan/Plain of Jars, Sam Neau/Vieng Sai (cool karsts and Pathet Lao caves), and some other interesting mountain scenery before cutting south back to Luang Prabang and Rt 13 back to Vientiane.

Edit: or, southern Laos! You can rent XR250's from a hotel in Pakse and do a pretty sweet Bolaven plateau ride over a couple of days. Doesn't border with Chiang Mai though, you'd be travelling through Iisaan on the Thai side, which has its own charms (cool Khmer ruins, regular "real" Thai people/Thailand).

AA doesn't seem too bad. To use their partners (Cathay Pacific) I need to call their reservation line, but they direct flights into Narita have an abundance of their super-saver reward ticket for the end of July/August.

How is motorbiking by yourself? My biggest fear is breaking down and/or dropping the bike in the middle of the jungle. How about accomodation, is it abundant and accommodating to motorbikes?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
When I mentioned "dropping it", I was more referring to low siding into a jungle ditch or something and breaking my leg. I am assuming most of the roads are unpaved/somewhat muddy and you aren't moving that quickly anyway, so I don't know much of an issue this is. Obviously though there is risk no matter what the road condition and/or speed.

And I am assuming you were by yourself most of the time?

As far as schedule is concerned, here's my rough idea:

- Fly into Bangkok
- Stay 1-2 days in Bangkok
- Fly to Udon Thani in morning, take bus to Vientiane border, see what few sights are downtown there.
- Rent motorbike in morning, see some sights on outside of Vientiane, head to Vang Vieng.
- *maybe* gently caress around in Vang Vieng with the whole tubing scam, depending on who I meet there and how tired I am.
- Head to Luang Prabang
- Put around north country for 2-3 days
- Drop of bike in Luang Prabang (many rental companies apparently do this)
- Flight back to Bangkok (if I can get one)
- Depart

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 3, 2010

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Sheep-Goats posted:

Same price, less convenient, in my limited experience.

Also what event could there possibly be that anyone would want to go to in Baltimore? John Waters festival?

The DC area is more expensive than going out of NYC or west coast.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
God damnit Cathay Pacific....:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://www.rei.com/product/762163

Best pants I have ever owned. Worn them in SE Asia motorcycling, all the way to the top of Kilimanjaro. They are cool in tropical climates, and warm when it gets colder out. They can go over layers, have very well placed pockets, and don't really get dirty from a "smells like poo poo" standpoint.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I flew into Siem Reap from HCMC, it took about half a day and we got to spend some time at Angkor for sunset.

For the ride over to Bangkok, we hired a car for like $20 to Poipet (2-3h or so), crossed the border, took a tuk tuk to the bus station, sat at the bus station for like an hour. Then we took the bus to bangkok, broke down in the middle of a downpour, had to transfer bus, left some poo poo in the old bus, arrive in bangkok at like 11PM and the city was flooded. Looked for a hotel, ended up staying in some $5/night shithole which smelled so bad that I could not sleep because it was the only one we could access in Khao San without wading through 2 feet of sewage.

Moral of this story?

If we flew we would have gotten to Khao San at like 2PM, chosen a nice hotel/guesthouse, and had a much more enjoyable time overall. We were only there for a little under three weeks, and time was a major factor in our travel plans. We essentially wasted a day with that adventure and although it was experience, it was a pain in the rear end.

Don't go overland to/from Cambodia unless you have time to spare.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ringo R posted:

Any of you Bangkok vets (sheep, spog, pompous etc) know someone I can talk to regarding a Thai person threatening to sue me after a traffic accident? Can PM more details.
Is he threatening to sue you or actually suing you?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Is Vang Vieng really that bad? I know you guys don't like things which are touristy and "non-authentic", but the whole concept of tubing seems kind of intriguing to me.

Assuming you are just looking to have a good time, is it still worth it?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Rhombus, what is the chance of me killing myself if I rented a motorbike in Vientiane and went over to Luang Prabang? I have my motorcycle license in the US and have ridden in Vietnam before. Is it a lot more laid back? How is the traffic? (in and out of the city)

Also, what/where is that temple somewhere in Laos that I have seen a few times from your pictures. Looks really run down, had nobody around it (tourist wise), low to the ground and had this long approach.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
My plan is to spend around week in Laos and rent a motorbike out of Vientiane and ride up to LP with a pit stop at Vang Vieng as well as exploring the countryside.

That temple is the one I was talking about. How hard would it be to get there given my above itinerary/time frame?

Also, my biggest concern is what to do with the bike when I go exploring and find a cave I want to look at. Are there people who you can pay to look over the bike? Are they always reliable? Do guest houses have provisions to watch the bike when you stay there? For example, when you went exploring that temple complex, what did you do with the bike?

It also seems that most rental companies take your passport as collateral, is this normal?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Would it be reasonable to fly Chiang Mai -> Vientiane, rent motorbike, ride to Vieng Viang, spend a day there, continue motorbike to LP, spend a day there and then fly out the next day in 6-7 days?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
How hard is it to bring a bike from Vietnam -> Laos over the border and from Laos -> Thailand over the border? I figure if I buy a Mink in Hanoi for like $200-300, I can ride it all the way to Chiang Mai and then sell/abandon/give away the thing there.

$300 for a week or two of awesome motorbike adventure without any border/rental/theft worries is acceptable to me.

How are the roads in Thailand? Can you find out of the way jungle dirt roads to tear up without much traffic?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
How is traveling solo through Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore?

I have almost a month of vacation I have been saving up and I can't seem to convince anyone to go with me during my sweet spot between graduate course semesters in August. Thinking of just doing it myself.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

mrfart posted:

I'm on a trip in thailand/ Laos at the moment. 
So far it's been great. 
I rented a motorcycle and went from Vientiane to luang prabang. 
After seeing the countryside, luang is a bit of a shock. 
I didn't expect to find an Asian version of Brugge I guess. 
And the extremely rich/old/fat tourists here aren't always my thing:) they arrive in town in ac vans to "feed the monks" instead of doing the 5 minute walk from their hotel. How did they all get here? 

Anyway, if you guys know something to do near luang, please tell me. I wanted to go to phongsavang, but theres no time anymore. I have to vet the bike back to Vientiane. So if there's an alternative to stopping over in "bucket o booze-town" vang viene, that would be nice too. ( although I have to say I had fun there, it gets old fast if you're not a 20 year old alcoholic). 
Sorry for typos, mobilephone posting...

Did you do that ride by yourself? How was it?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
What has been everyone's experience with booking intra-region flights as a game time decision?

I am more or less sure that I will be flying into Thailand beginning in late July and staying for another 3-4 weeks (don't ask me how I pulled that off while working full time).

I want to motorbike from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, go to Chiang Mai, go to some sort of beach (Ko Samui probably), and if I have time fly down to Singapore/Malaysia.

The problem is I have no idea how long I want to do all this stuff. I might want to extend my motorbike trip all the way to Pakse, go to a full moon part, or stop by Siem Reap if a few friends decide to actually go with me on this.
Therefore, it would be hard for me to really pinpoint when and where I would want to take flights from. Personally I would like to do the entire trip sort of ad lib, but I understand that might not be possible.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
When you go overland though, you get to have the experience of crossing the Cambodia frontier! No trip to SE Asia is complete without a visit to the quaint border town of Poipet.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I am 90% sure I am going to SE Asia from the end of July to the end of August for 3-1/2 weeks. I am also pretty sure I will be by myself while doing it. I have never really traveled by myself before, much less for 3-1/2 weeks. Anyone have any tips, tricks or suggestions for traveling solo?

Rhombus, I know you went solo for your motorcycling thing, anything I should do for that. I want to go to Laos for about a week and do some motorbiking. My biggest concern is safety by myself though, what would be your opinion on that?

Also, my passport expires mid-2012. It has three pages left and I am a visa whore in that I like to get as many stamps as possible. Should I renew now, especially since I already have half of SE Asia on my passport?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So jealous! I wanted to take a trip back around that time for a friend's birthday, but starting a job at the end of July (itself a very good thing).

I've pretty much only traveled solo. It's not hard to meet people, and audiobooks/podcasts are invaluable for long bus rides. Not particularly dangerous or anything, although for ladies the usual precautions apply.

If you're on a motorbike, you miss out on bus station/bus socializing, so I spent more time hanging out at restaurants or in the common area of guest houses to meet people. I had a loose arrangement with an Aussie girl for a couple of towns in Laos where she'd take the bus and I'd meet up with her in the next town on my motorbike (would have offered a ride, but she had way too much poo poo with her). As far as safety you have very little to worry about, violent crime is pretty rare. There is the risk that the bike breaks down and you can't fix it on your own, but as long as you're not going down some obscure bike trails you should be able to flag someone down to help you out eventually. The only two times I had a catastrophic failure on the Minsk were also the only two times I was riding with someone else, but even if they hadn't been there to go look for help I would have been able to make it out myself, eventually. It really helps to start your rides in the morning and finish up well before sundown; I had to spend a night in the jungle in southern Laos and while it's a great story to tell, it wasn't very comfortable at the time. I can also recommend the Lonely Planet Laos pocket phrasebook, it has a page or two devoted to vehicle troubles as well as being generally useful.

You might as well renew it now, as a lot of countries want 6 months of remaining validity to issue you a visa. It's just one less thing to worry about. Otherwise, you can also get new pages added to it at the American Citizen Services section of a US embassy or consulate abroad while you wait, I think there's a nominal fee. When you renew, you get to keep the old passport, they just punch a few holes in it and stamp "CANCELED" on the ID page.

From a safety standpoint, I am more worried about "getting run over by a drunken farmhand in Laos" rather than getting mugged or something. Did you find in your travels that you felt unsafe riding along on the motorcycle? In Vietnam everything was chaotic, yes, but I never really felt that unsafe since speeds were so low most of the time.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

caberham posted:

Have fun! I find it very liberating when I did travel on my own for such a long period of time. Basically, as long as you have your passport and money, you can go anywhere you want! Just have cash and use the credit card for large purchases like airfare or pricey hotels.

The biggest problem is not having enough money to do what you want, but being in SEA it is not a big of an issue than say... Europe or America.

For everyday stuff, you can rely on laundromats to wash your clothes, stay in hostels, eat street food, and pack light. As long as you are not out in the jungle, you can buy a lot of amenities - at a price. If you are a bigger white guy, I guess extra deodorant and larger condoms? It's 3.5 weeks, there's bound to be stuff you forgot to pack and bring. Socialize with people to borrow/barter what you want!
I am working full time (and have been doing so for almost a year since my last day of Vacation), so money is less of an issue. Time is my biggest limiting factor. I am an electrical power engineer, and I am considering moving over there working for an international construction/energy company. Therefore I really want to bounce around as much as possible to get more of a feel of each area. I really want to visit Singapore, but I don't know if I will have time.

Another question though for anyone who has done this. Considering going to Rangoon and potentially Bagan, however I don't want to make any hard plans on this. Therefore, I was planning on getting a Myanmar visa from the embassy in DC (only $20 and I live an hour away). They require proof of travel. Since I wont book a flight until a few days before, could I put my international airfare to Bangkok instead? Anyone have experience with this?

My plan is to be as free in my travel plans as possible. Fly into Bangkok on one day, fly out of Bangkok/Singapore on another, and whatever happens in between is not decided until I do it.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Awesome, good luck if you decide to go through with the move! There are some Sing-goons that could probably answer your questions a lot better than I can, although I don't think any of them post in this thread.

For the Myanmar visa, I'd say pull up an itinerary on Air Asia or something and print that out without buying it. The main "proof of travel" thing is that you're going back to your home country, so include a copy of your return ticket back to the USA for good measure.

I'm planning to be up your way later this summer (late June or early July) visiting friends, let me know if you'd like to grab a beer somewhere around DC and talk SEA-travel shop. I will defend the honor of my Minsk though :belarus:

poo poo, I loved the Minsk for the full 12 hours that I rode it. Aside from the fact that the shifter would sometimes "downshift" into 4th (from any gear) and the saddle bags came off of course...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Whats everyone's opinion on what guidebook to use? should I get the SE Asia encompassed one, or ones for Laos, Burma, Thailand etc.

I kind of want to pack light, but the big SE Asia one has a lot of crap that I don't care about and less stuff that I do care about.

Also, Rhombus, when you bought your bike how exactly (and where) did you do it? If its only a $300-500 purchase, I might consider it. How hard was it to procure? Was there any paperwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Ok, so here are my options for airfare:

Departing:
Afternoon train up to JFK to evening before to hit the 1:20AM flight. This flight is both cheaper and has the following options:
(1) 12h layover in Honk Kong (kind of want to get lunch, see Victoria Peak, etc) and then arrive in BKK at like late afternoon (7ish).
(2) ~2h layover in Hong Kong, arrive in Bangkok at like 10:30AM.
Both flights will entail a 16 hour JFK->HKG leg.

Return:
Fly out of Bangkok to DC because I need to be at work the next day :(
These flights are limited to like 12 hours, but there are more legs.

The big question is; I have enough FF points to book first one way on Cathay Pacific departing, or AA returning. Which way do I fly first?
The departing leg would make sense because it is like a super-red-eye leaving at 1:20AM, and if I did Hong Kong for 12 hours it would help a lot.
For returning, I just remember hating life a lot more than going there from my last trip. For some reason the return always sucks a lot more then the departure.

I also don't know which has better 1st, AA or Cathay Pacific.