Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Speaking of India, my wife just applied for a visa in DC and only got a 1-year multiple entry. I got a 10-year back in 2013 and thought it was the standard like China. Not sure if they changed their standards, or we did something to piss off the Indian consulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Question on Vietnamese visas. We are planning about a month in SE Asia for a 3-month "around the world" trip we are doing. We intend to be in Vietnam for a couple weeks and would prefer to get a Visa in DC (we live close) rather than deal with it in India or Bangkok, etc. They apparently have eVisa, but it requires you enter and leave from the same place. We don't want to do that.

The problem is we don't know when we will be entering/leaving Vietnam. From their website you can enter on or after the initial day of your visa up until the expiration date. There is also a choice for a 3-month visa or 1-month visa. Anyone have any issues with getting a 3-month if you ask for it?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Quick question for all of you who Americans who have done longer term travel in the past. How do you handle health insurance abroad? I am going back and forth between COBRA and a travel insurance plan. In the past I have used World Nomads, but I was also a lot younger and stupider with this stuff back then.

Below is what they offer for their coverages. Not looking for a primary care doctor here, but more something to cover us should we get into trouble:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
:siren: I now have an IRCTC account and can book these loving trains online :siren:

Don't get me started on how aggravating this was.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Currently planning out the India portion of my trip. My current plan is to do Kathmandu->Varanasi->Agra->Jaipur->Amritsar->Delhi. I can do this all via train travel, but I would have a very long day (10h on train + 4 hour layover in Delhi) between Jaipur and Amritsar. Doubly so since I would have to change train stations in Delhi with our bags. I could also just take a 90 min direct flight for $42 on a SpiceJet puddle jumper.

All logical reasoning would be to take the flight, but I have this romantic initiative in my head to go overland from Beijing to Delhi, of which I am accomplishing up to this point. Flying breaks the chain, but it would just make so much more sense.

Tell me I am being completely ridiculous with this.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

webmeister posted:

Any particular reason you're doing Amritsar between Jaipur and Delhi? Seems like Jaipur -> Delhi -> Amritsar would make more sense.

To be honest the Indian trains aren't too bad, provided you're in the slightly more expensive seats. AC chair car trains are basically modern European carriages - no wifi but you'll have air con and a comfortable seat. The two-tier AC cars are okay, three tier AC gets a bit cramped and I wouldn't go below that unless you're on a serious budget.

I will say as well - the landscape up around the Ganges plain area is boring. Endless flat rice fields with the occasional decaying concrete village surrounded by trash and cows. I'm not saying don't do it, but the romantic reason might break down after 20 minutes when the Indian businessman sitting opposite you snores like a chainsaw.

Also, there are websites you can use to gauge the on-time running of trains. It can tell you historically how late a train usually arrives, as you might need more than a 4-hour layover depending on the route! We had one journey where I'd planned for a four-hour connection, and although we had no problems, if we'd done that journey a day earlier we would've missed the connection. Train #1 was running about 4.5 hours late, and even train #2 running 30 minutes late wouldn't have been enough.

We are still going to be on a train from Gorakhpur-> Varanasi -> Agra -> Jaipur and then from Amritsar -> Delhi. I am not worried about missing scenery. We are likely flying out to Bangkok from Delhi, which is a nice cheap, 4h flight. If we fly out of Amritsar with a connection in Delhi it becomes an 8-10 hour flight with a large layover.

I've already been to Delhi, so trying to limit our time there.

To be honest, we are probably going to be trained out by the time we get to Jaipur. We have two overnight trains in AC1 and AC2 respectively. Then CC from Agra to Jaipur. This is on top of the 40h trip from Beijing to Lhasa a few weeks before. Ultimately this is all tentative too. We may decide to arrive in India sooner, or limit our time there. I just want to book something as a fallback given how hard train reservations can be.

Also, might avoid Jaipur altogether. Thoughts on that city?

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 15, 2019

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So our plans have changed again. Proposing to do Varanasi->Delhi (nicer, quicker train), then do a day trip to Agra using the fast trains. I have already been there, so it is mostly for my wife who wants to see the Taj Mahal and would otherwise prefer to skip India. This also makes hotel logistics a lot easier. From there we can do a back and forth to Amritsar (again using the fast trains), and maybe another trip to either Shimla or Jaipur. We might even decide to go Delhi->Mumbai over a number of days with stops in Jaipur, Udaipur and/or Jodhpur before flying out.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Hong Kong and Singapore are best in my opinion. Easy metro links to the center city, and there is a lot to do/eat.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Does anyone have any experience taking the slow boat from Chiang Mai -> Huay Xia -> Luang Prabang? The only thing I can find on it online are obnoxious travel blogs from insufferable people who can't stop lamenting on how travel woke they are.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

Don't forget rollie bag, selfie stick, straw hat, elephant pants, murse, 14 friends and vape pen.

Don't forget a bright hot pink tank top with a Chang logo on it.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
e: wrong thread.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 18, 2019

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Anyone know if there is still a ferry from Rai Leh west to Phi Phi Don? Does it run regularly? Additionally, what is a good place to stay there? I have a budget of $100-200 in the off season (mid-october). While this probably won't jive with the internet "i'm a traveler, not a tourist" crowd, I am looking for someplace I can walk to the main strip of bars and restaurants. I don't want to have to take a longtail to get to/from the resort or hotel.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 3, 2019

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Back in Bangkok for a couple of days. This city is getting increasingly fancier every time I come back here. They are streamlining taxis at the airport and have these new machines that direct you. I took a 90-minute traffic choked taxi ride for a mere 400 baht on the meter without a peep from the driver to rip me off. I felt bad for the guy so gave him extra. Also went to the new Siam Icon since it is next to my hotel. The place is pretty nuts, even by Thai/Asia megamall standards.

This may also be an illusion as I have progressively upgraded my accommodating every time I visit here. Ten years ago it was a dump at Khao San; now I am at a riverfront Hilton. The ironic thing is that so many places near Khao San have gotten expensive that the price difference isn't that much.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

kru posted:

Is that the place with the wee boat you can take to the MRT?

Yeah, it's actually quite a nice location that is in striking distance to most of the city, including rattanakosin with the express boat.

On another note, I don't know why anyone travels in the peak season in Thailand. We just stayed at a resort on Koh Lanta for 1/5 of the price offered in the high season, there was nobody on the beach and it rained for a maximum of an hour each afternoon. Also impressed on how much cleaner Thailand is as a whole. Compared to Bali where the beaches become trash heaps in the rainy season (and likely the non-rainy season), everything was immaculate even after the rainstorms. Bangkok was even devoid of trash compared to what it used to be.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

This is Thailand 0.4.

The offseason thing is really good advice. People tend to freak each other out about the words "rainy season." That's usually the big reason they avoid these times, other than holiday calendars and things. As you have experienced, rainy season is pretty much a non-event most days.

About the only downside is there are a number of places where it's just a small enough market or there's some geographical or climate reason the various kinds of businesses shut down during low season. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but for example, Ao Nang used to go pretty dormant from like June through August. A bunch of the restaurants would just have a sign taped to the metal shutters saying we will be back in August, some of the tours like cliff diving aren't available, etc.

These days, with the counter-cyclical tourism from India, which is rising sharply, and China, which is still holding really strong, a lot of places don't have a low season the way they used to exactly, though, so everything may have changed again for all I know.

We were also in Railay for 3 days before Koh Lanta and all the bar owners said they just opened last week, so I could see that being a bit of a downer; especially since that was a primary draw of going there for us. I think we really timed that perfectly.

A lot of the beach bars on lanta also closed early (e.g. 9-10PM) due to lack of customers.

On another note, I had this woman from the Thailand tourism authority (or whatever) doing a survey about my trip in the Krabi airport. They asked why I came here, what draws me to Thailand, etc. I kind of wanted to create a whole sexpat story to make the interview really awkward. Talk about how I get a new missus every time I come to Thailand and put "women" as the primary reason for traveling.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Why does every cafe and bar only play crappy indie cover versions of western pop songs (with a focus on Ed Sheeran) in SE Asia. I was at a coffee shop yesterday that had an hippie acoustic version of "Hey Ya!" by Outkast and I literally had to leave when they got to the "shake it like a polaroid picture" part of the song.

Vietnam pirates just about everything else imaginable, I would think they could get a bootleg copy of the actual goddamn song.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
If you have time, I definitely recommend doing a temple farther afield. Beng Mealea was my favorite; much less crowds and it has a more of "wild" feel to it compared to the controlled visit you will get in Angkor proper.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
There are a bunch of high-end hotels up by the river and that long promenade adjacent to the financial district. Less traffic, but also a bit sterilized (for vietnam at least).

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

webmeister posted:

100% this, though it’s a worldwide thing. Anywhere that offers you home currency payment instead of local currency, the rate will be an absolute ripoff. It’ll even give you a scummy scary-sounding warning about the exchange rate, but it’s a lovely scare tactic. We recently had an experience in Beijing where our hotel automatically charged us in AUD instead of RMB, and the rate was literally 25% different. On a five night hotel stay the difference was a few hundred dollars, enough that we actually complained to the bank and got it refunded.

In Thailand, I think it’s Aeon Bank that has a slightly lower ATM fee for foreign cards. All of the others are like 500 baht.

I saw a few ATMs in Europe somewhere that would have multiple prompts trying to get you to take out money is USD rather than the local currency. Each prompt would be like "Do you trust your bank to exchange TURKISH LIRA???", "Are you SURE you want to do that"?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tab8715 posted:

I’m landing in Bangkok at 10AM next Tuesday and leaving the following Sunday at 1PM. Is it reasonable to stay in the city and goto Pattaya? It’s freezing -10f and the beach sounds great.

Obviously, I like to party as much as anyone else but I’d prefer to mingle with locals during the day, experience Thailand, etc.

From BKK, the flight to Krabi is roughly the same amount of travel time as a drive to Pattaya. If you want a beach, fly into Krabi on a 12PM flight, go to Ao Nang for Tuesday and Wednesday nights and then fly back Thursday afternoon to Bangkok. Spend Friday going to the Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Enjoy the nightlife on Thursday and Friday nights.

Its a rushed itinerary, but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

cyka blyat posted:

These are top tier suggestions. Gonna check out that gibbon stuff.

One of our weirdo traditions is eating hamburgers outside the USA and silently judging them. So far, the best burger we have had in our lives has been in Mexico, for what it is worth.

Are there any interesting hikes nearby? Wife is afraid of riding on motorcycles so that is a no go. Do you think renting a car would be as enjoyable or should we just bus it?

I still say Mexican food is one of the things that Asia just can't figure out. I think its because of the reliance on Cheese, which is horrible across the board over there.