Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Has anyone been to Nakhon Sawon? I think I'm going to head there tomorrow to break up the journey back to BKK. I went past it and it looked good from the train station for a one night layover that's not lopburi or ayutthaya as I've been to both already. Hotel tips in the 200-800 baht range would be awesome, wiki travel has two but they're a bit old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Most hotels, guest houses, and all the travel agents in and around khao San Road will have day trips offering that. I expect it'd be in the 1000-2000 baht range and you'd be packed into "VIP" busses, or worse, into a minivan. Try for a VIP bus, the minivan are dangerously driven imo.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Dear TEFL teachers -

Are there any places that I can legally teach English in SE Asia with just a TEFL certificate and no degree? I've been in contact with some Chinese recruitment agencies and they tell me that I could teach (in China) using an F visa (business). As far as I understand it, if you come to work in any country in Asia without the correct visa then you're essentially the recruitment agencies bitch since you have no legal leg to stand on. Obviously I would like to avoid that.

I'm a 31 year old british native English speaker, intelligent, successful and reliable but I don't have a degree. I'd really like to work in SE Asia legally and also give something back, even if it's just in a small way by teaching English well. I've spent six months in SE Asia so I'm familiar with the culture and understand some of the challenges of living in Asia, I just want to find a way to legally do it!

Any advice?

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ten years ago that would be Bottle Beach on Koh Phangan, which you had to take a boat around to. These days I think every stretch of sand has tourists but maybe I'm wrong.

Can confirm bottle beach is no longer what it once was. My friend has a bar a little further round the coast, he's built it with one of the guys that used to work on Bottle Beach. Check it out if you're there -

https://www.facebook.com/TheTreeHouseBarMaeHaad/?fref=ts

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Just a bit of solid advice for any goons in Koh Tao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsLQQxQgJ8

Enjoy!

Chang tokens!

Ted Ed Fred fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
One thing to bear in mind is that use of a bicycle is probably covered by your travel insurance, where as if you don't have a licence to drive a moped at home, then your insurance probably doesn't cover you for any injuries you cause to other people, or yourself. I have ridden around on bicycles in Thai heat with no problems before. Pro-tip - always remember whether you're on a moped or a bike to check how functional the brakes are before you need to use them!