Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I enjoyed my stays on islands on the East side of the bay but they lack the party and young atmosphere that the islands on the West have a lot of. In Pattaya I enjoyed staying at Royal Cliff with their private beach. I also liked Koh Samet, Koh Kood and Koh Mak. They are all drives, increasingly long, but good values. Phuket is a flight and so is Krabi/Railay (which I enjoyed more than Phuket). For just daily getaways, you could commute to Hua Hin and Pattaya easily in short order. I think what you would enjoy depends on if you just want to stay at the beach or have town/city with shopping and restaurants and other activities like a zoo to occupy your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Well, Pattaya is a big rear end city, or more than one connected together basically. It has big malls, boatloads more nightlife than Phuket by virtue of size and population. However, there is a reason people fly to the Southwest. It's less seedy, better clubs and bars from a quality perspective, and better beaches. Hua Hin and Pattaya beaches are not on the same level as those you get further South to the East or West for that matter. If price isn't an issue, I would go further South and just get the full experience.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

If you are paying over $100 a night in Thailand, it should be for a 5 star place.

I mean.. 100 isn't really 5 star luxury in Thailand, so is the idea that you should just spend a bunch more to get 5 stars?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's unfortunately a lot of 'losers came here' because it was a party place with cheap cost of living and now those losers are bringing other losers. Sometimes it's directly inviting loser friends, but other times it's creating loser neighborhoods and loser communities that losers find very attractive on their Summer holiday. I hate to say it but it's almost a "normalcy test" to be uncomfortable to some degree around many foreigners living in country. Is that judgmental? Maybe, but I honestly don't care. There's plenty of good people but you can tell pretty quickly who is who.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I saw that cannabis is about to get illegal again in Thailand. How strange to see all those shops gone next time I go. It was disconcerting last time because they all popped up seemingly overnight. And now they are going away again.

Will they be missed? I genuinely prefer the vibe before the cannabis shops. Downtown is already gentrifying in many boring ways, but a bunch of gaudy weed shops didn't help anything.