Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

smackfu posted:

So you have a long layover in Hong Kong Airport...

Sleeping: There are really cool "Resting Lounge" areas with basic recliners and dimmed lights, tucked behind some of the shops. Check the airport maps, otherwise you'll never find them. There are also couches on the 2nd floor dining area, but the lights are brighter and there's more traffic.

Shower: There is a nice public lounge with $20 or so showers. It's on the 2nd floor with the other lounges. Totally worth it.

Power Plugs: There are tons. In addition to the proper charging stations, every wall in the long concourses has one buried at the bottom for the cleaners. You do need a UK power adapter. (I screwed up this last part.)

WiFi: Free.

I had a 11 hour layover in hongkong from bangkok.
The airport is probably nice as you say, but if you have a couple hours of time, get the hell out of there and get into the city.
It was nighttime when I got there and the views are just amazing.
Don't forget to take the boats, its ridiculously cheap and the views are even better.
Also did the "Avenue of Stars", the HK version of the hollywood walk of fame (jackie chan star, yey).
After that I found a nice bar with belgian beer where I stayed till the early morning to get back to the airport.
I did some of the stuff in this guide: http://www.12hk.com/tours/Tour12hr.html . And used a free map I picked up at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

There is an *awesome* Indian restaurant down the road from Blue Star called Ali Bongo. It's the best Indian food I've ever had.

Seconding the restaurant.

On the whole kanchanaburi tour, I did one that was offered at my guesthouse (sugarcane guesthouse, which was nice).
You do the waterfalls, elephant ride, rafting, railroad+temple, trainride, and the bridge itself.

The falls are fantastic and I could have stayed there a lot longer, jumping of rocks, getting free fishmassages :)
elephant ride is ok, but rather boring.
The "rafting" is... well... they take you to your raft with a motorboat, then the friggin' thing drifts downstream for half an hour at the pace of an old lady, who's just been hit by a bus... And then the motorboat brings you back to the place you started. Not really worth it.

What I didn't know is that you can take a different tour, where you do the museum and cemetary instead of the elephant-raft thing. If you have any interest in the history of the place I recommend you do this.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
has anyboby here ever been to the Plain of jars, Laos?
And was it worth the trip?
I'm looking into doing a motorcycle trip, but its still in its early stage :)
Thanks to Pompous Rhombus, I already know driving from vietnam to laos isn't childsplay. So I'm not sure if I'll do it.
speaking of which,... rhompus, how on earth did you always found your way in these countries? Just regular maps in english? I even managed to get lost on small bike rides around an island in thailand :)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I bought one of those moneybelts.
Never used it.
I bought fjallraven (or how the hell do you write that brandname)pants with zippers on all pockets and an extra hidden pocket on the inside. Fantastic gear really. Light, don't sweat too much in it, etc... pretty expensive, but I'm really glad I bought them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ringo R posted:

I bumped into some red shirts. Didn't know they'd be there so all I had was my 50mm lens :/

Wow, these are some seriously great pics.
Love the guy with the flag on the scooter. Like the modern SE asian version of a knight with lance.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I don't get this with Thailand.
The king is the most sacred thing they have, outside of buddha.
They advice you never to talk about him, the entire country is plastered with images of the guy. But at the doorstep of the royal palace people are scamming like it's the national pasttime.
We don't give a flying gently caress about our king here in belgium, but if you go stand on his doorstep trying to scam some tourists, you'll get yourself dragged out of there by security/cops within seconds.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ReindeerF posted:

Well yeah, being that Jean Claude Van Damme is the King of Belgium you would expect more rear end kicking.

The Royal Palace is ceremonial. No one lives there so far as I know. The King spent most of his time in Hua Hin at a summer palace (constructed by Rama VI or Rama VII, I think - one of the more recent kings). More recently he lives at Siriraj Hospital. In the sense you guys are talking about it's sort of like Buckingham Palace. It's right in the middle of a massive city, it's surrounded by locals and tourists coming and going constantly and there's a lot of chaos. No one scams you inside the Palace walls, but outside is another story.
I know he doesn't live there. But still, before I went to Thailand somebody (probably on these forums) told me thai people are even carefull with the image of the king on their money. So you'd expect the royal palace (even if the king doesn't live there)would get some form of respect.
And jean claude isn't our king (it's tintin :))

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Marius posted:

Used to post in the older SE Asia thread for a bit, but haven't been around here in awhile.

I've been living in Hanoi for 3 years now, but I am too lazy to really hash out anything of interest at the moment.

Other than to say Laos is cool as gently caress! Went for Tet in 2009 and probably had my best trip ever. I agree with OP in that Luang Prabang, while pleasant, is just boring. Get the hell out of the two cities and just drive around. Actually, just go to Nong Khiew (Kieu or however you want to spell) which is the most idyllic place I've ever been.

See photos from trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grottingj/sets/72157613273566780/

Note how many are from Nong Khiew. Only thing to beware of in Laos is stupid backpackers mocking you for paying so much for you bike because they got their sweet ride for $4 a day thanks to "local connections". The truth is their bike is poo poo and can barely accelerate with their hippie beer gut rear end on it. You'll be happy with your baja 250 when you're on "powder snow"-esque dirt switchbacks in a national forest.

That does it, now I have to go.
These pictures made me go nuts with excitement.
I found a guy that can borrow me his riding gear (he won't be needing a mesh in autumn here in belgium anyway). I guess it's better to take stuff like that with me.
Did you buy those bayas in vietnam and drove them to laos, or did you rent them in laos? And if you bought them, where did you find a good shop in vietnam?
I'm still not sure what route to take. There is so much in SE asia I would like to see.
Also still not sure if i should buy or rent/ go on my own (with friends) or take tours.
What are the must sees in vietnam? I would def. like to see Ha Long Bay.
Pompous mentioned not to bother with a certain city in vietnam but I forgot wich one it was and can't find it again.
In laos I would like to see the planes of jars if possible
and in cambodia angkor wat obviously.

looking forward to your guide on hanoy.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ted Ed Fred posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for hostels in or near to Khao San Road? It'll be my first time in Thailand so I don't mind spending a bit more than normal on the first few nights if it's a nicer place that I can get over my jet lag/culture shock in. One with a bar would be ideal as I'd like to meet some other travellers as I'm heading out on my own.

I fly out next Monday (April 5th) and arrive on the 6th. I'm nervous and excited in equal measures!

In most of the guest houses is it OK to drink/clean your teeth with the tap water, or should I always use bottled water?

Is anyone going to be around in Bangkok next week and want to meet up with a friendly mid 20s English guy?

http://www.khaosanroad.com/sam_sen_sam_place/index.html

When I arrived at khaosan road, I thought i had made a big mistake comming there.
Compared to the rest of thailand it was really bad; But then i arrived at that guesthouse and it all seemed much better. It was a 10 minute walk from khaosan. But i liked the little streets/bars/restaurants around it A LOT more than khaosan itself.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

1) Getting ripped off in Phuket will still probably be cheaper than a normal stay in Bali.

2) Don't stay in Phuket. Fly in there but then get transportation to Lanta or Krabi and spend most of your time there. I'm assuming your "trip for two" is you and a girlfriend, and Phuket may be a little off-putting for your female company.

Of all the beaches and islands I liked tonsai the most (next to the railay beaches).
The fact that you have to jungle hike or climb over some rocks at low-tide to get there makes it a bit less 'touristy'.
Although the people that do make it there are not always my type of crowd. it's the only place in thailand where you'll see more pictures of bob marley than pictures of the king if you know what I'm saying:).
Lanta was ok too, but a bit boring, and basically it's part of sweden.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
all the places I stayed at in thailand eighter had free wifi at their reception/restaurant and most of the time in the room too. i paid from 400 to 850, never more I think.
Wifi is moving up fast when it comes to hotels etc. 2 years ago in japan none of my guesthouses had it. Now I hear most of them do.
Owners realise that we need internet like addicts need the needle.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

That bag is way too big. etc...

Listen to this man.

I went with a 35L lowe alpine that I didn't have to check in at the airport and at no point did I have the feeling that I needed more space.
My girlfriend did bring one of these retarded huge bags, so I was given a nice comparisment between the ups and downs. (I usually had to carry hers, getting on the back of a biketaxi is murder, you almost drown getting the loving thing of the boat on an island, have to wait a full hour at the airport before you get it back...)

i did have a small bag (it was actually made for a sleepingbag or something) that I took with me on hikes, with musquito repelent/sunscreen and small medikit in it.

On the whole pants thing: Also brought some pant like you suggest and loved them.
They are a LOT lighter than jeans, dry immediatly (try doing a hike in a pair of wet jeans and see if your legs don't fall off afterwards), stop UV and most importantly, every pocket has zippers.
Something most jeans don't and I'm the kind of guy that would check his wallet/keys/phone every 2 loving seconds if I didn't have zippers.
(not really because of theft, but when you sit on a bike/beach/boat and sit down/get up all the time it's not unthinkable something is gonna fall out).

i went to some fancy nightclubs with them in bangkok, no problem.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

4) use a mosquito net if provided, I don't really sperg out if there isn't one (generally there aren't). You could bring your own but putting it up each night would probably be a PITA.

I brought a net with me and used it most of the time.
Every place I stayed outside of bangkok had a hook or at least a hole in the ceiling from a previous traveller to hang up the net. It took less than 2 minutes to put it up and you can sleep without worries. And it was kinda fun sleeping under it with my gf.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

brendanwor posted:

However what Sheep-Goats has forgotten to mention is that any and all skin lotion type stuff in Thailand will be 80% skin whitening cream and 20% lotion, so if you want any sort of a tan and you're only taking carry on luggage then good luck

Not ALL of it, just most of it :)
In shops like boots (I think that's what they're called, there's one on khao san road for example), they sell a lot of stuff just for tourists without the whitening stuff.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

kalicki posted:

Getting a rabies shot prior to exposure is somewhat pointless as well in this case.

Typical prophylactic series is I believe 2 shots prior to exposure, but you still need 3 shots after exposure. So, if you can't get access to rabies shots after exposure, you're still hosed, but if you can, it's essentially 100% effective, and very little difference whether you got prophylactic shots or not.

Not to mention how much cheaper it is getting the shots in SEA compared to the US. I got bit by a cat in Phnom Penh and got post-exposure shots out of an abundance of caution, and it cost me something like $30 per shot. In the US, it's more like $200 per shot.

I would get Hep A though, it's a cheap shot, lasts for a while, and it isn't something that you can consciously avoid like rabies and (to a degree) malaria. If I remember right you need 2 shots a month apart or so, but it's still fairly effective even after 1.

I don't see why people don't get a hep A/B shot.
You can get infected with them fairly easy, especially hep A (toilet, food).
And it's not that hard/expensive (for me it was largely free) to get the shots.(you have to go 3 times to the doctor though).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Yey, I found cheap tickets to bangkok in february.

With only 20 days of holiday, I'm gonna have to make a lot of choices.
Naļve as I am, I thought I could find a cheap flight from bangkok to luang prabang, laos.
But the prices are insane. Even with lao airline.
Originally, I wanted to rent a bike there and drive to the north to Nong Kiaow and then further south-east to the plain of jars, and then back to luang prabang.

But now I'm gonna take a plane to udon thani and then a bus or something to vientiane (about a 100 k further). (Unless somebody knows a better option.)

But having to start from vientiane adds a lot of k's to the trip and I think I might have to drop the plain of jars.
How many kilometers (or miles) can I hope to do on the roads there?
Keeping in mind that I really want to take it easy. And definately have days without driving.

i guess I'll have to stop at vang vieng inbetween vientiane and luang prabang. But people say it's a bit of a tourist shithole.

I'm gonna rent a baja in vientiane (some french guy called jules is the best I've been told, but they charge 30 a day for a baja).
A tour is not an option, it's too expensive and they require a real motorcycle drivers license that you had for at least a year (which I don't have).
Problem is, without a tour, I might stick to the main road, affraid of getting lost.

Anyway, I was hoping to have some time left to do something in thailand/cambodia too, totally not motorcycling related, because I'm affraid that I'm gonna get sick of it after a while.
Maybe flying back to krabi for the rockcliming/beach.

Hope you guys can give me some advice.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, there really aren't bike rentals in Luang Prabang because of the UNESCO stuff; there was a German dude running a garage with Minsks under the radar when I was there 2 years ago, but I dunno if he's still in business or not. Vientiane is your best bet.

I dunno what the flight runs, but if you want to be cheap you can take the bus/train it from Bangkok to Vientiane. I've done the bus several times and it's not that bad, just takes all day (or night, depending on what service you opt for).

I dunno about kilometers a day, it depends on the rider, the bike, the conditions, and what you want to stop for. I just kind of measured by towns: Vientiane to Vang Vieng is like 4-5 hours, it's another half-day from there to Luang Prabang. Luang Prabang to Phonsavan was a day ride, Phonsavan to Sam Neua another day, Sam Neau to Udomxai took me like 3 days (stopped in Nong Khiaw, and Viang Thong), but mostly because I didn't want to ride in the rain or chance getting stuck riding after dark. Udomxai to Luang Prabang should be about another day's ride. If you get sick of riding, you can put the bike on top of a regular bus (not the ritzy-VIP jobs for tourists, the old school ones with no AC and people carrying chickens and bags of frogs and poo poo like that) and have it sent wherever.

I'm of two minds on Vang Vieng; the first time I went there I loving hated it, the second time I had a great time. If you're not into drugs and whatever I think you can still appreciate it if you've done a few weeks off the beaten path; suddenly pizza sounds like a loving awesome idea and you don't mind seeing a few white faces. On the other hand, it basically is a mini-Khao San Road in the middle of rural Laos and it's easy to not be in the mood for that.

You could also look in to one of those regional airpasses; you basically buy 3+ flights at once (from a network of the "real" regional airlines) and get a pretty nice discount. It's good if you're flying out of some of the more "indie" airports that Air Asia and the other budget carriers don't serve, like Luang Prabang, Siam Reap, etc. You could just fly in/out of Luang Prabang (3 days is probably enough) and bypass Vang Vieng altogether if you want, then check out southern Laos on a motorbike (Baja's are only $20/day out of Pakse last I checked) and then head back to Thailand.

Thanks for the info.
I was gonna go by train at first. But it's a 10 hour ride at night, the plane is about 1 hour and it's around 20 euros (I can actually choose between air asia and nokair, prices about the same, the difference is the airport I think?).
I'm looking into the discovery pass thing, but I'm not sure how I can get one in my country (belgium).
Northern laos looks more interesting/beautifull to ride in than the south, though. But I might be wrong about that.
They do have cheaper baja's in vientiane too. But this guy has all new bikes that get checked after every ride, insured against theft, proper helmets, pick up can be arranged etc... So maybe it's worth the extra?
I haven't forgotten my downhill experiences without any brakes in thailand yet I guess :D

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Definitely fly from BKK to Siam Reap. It's not a cheap Air Asia flight, but you will skip basically a full day of bullshit. Two days is fine for Angkor Wat, one if you don't mind missing out on some stuff. I'd say splurge on a moto/tuk-tuk guy to drive you around rather than bicycling it if that's the case. You can always take the overnight train from KL to Singapore, but a bus is only like 5 hours or so, it's not bad at all.

Personally I always go out of my way to plug Kampot/Bokor Hill Station to people visiting Cambodia, but it doesn't look like you'd have time unless you skipped Vietnam.

Air asia doesn't fly on siem reap. It's still just bangkok airways I think.
At least I can't find anything else. And the prices are mad.
I've always wanted to go to angor wat, but the getting there and more importantly the amount of tourists already there at any given time made me steer clear of it so far.
Still thinking about it though, but only if I can get reasonable priced planetickets or something :)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Ow sorry, I misread your post.
Yeah, flying to the edge of thailand first looks like a good option.
Or maybe if I can get the discovery pass you told me about, it would be affordable to go with bangkok airways.
I'm gonna pass on your boat idea though. I'll be vomiting before I even get on it probably.

I thought the idea was to go reaaaly early to angor wat, but I guess everybody is already doing that.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ReindeerF posted:

I think the big problem might be that no one flies Chiang Mai to Vientiane. Maybe THAI does, but their web site doesn't indicate it. I know BA and air Asia don't. Best I could ever do was to fly to Udon and take the van, which is pretty quick. Adding border taxi and visa the total time after the flight was about an hour. I know Air Asia and Nok Air both fly that route pretty cheaply and you get the added bonus of snickering at all the 70 year old British men traveling home with their "missus" to see the family's dead water buffalo.

That's what I'll be doing.
Flying to laos itself was extremely expensive, and to udon thani is like 30 bucks with air asia.

Anyway:
I'll take the opportunity to post our plans, feel free to give some advice.

I'm leaving to bangkok The 3th of february.
Flying to Udon the 7th; and from there to vientiane.

The next day or so we'll rent baja's and leave to luang prabang, via vang vieng. And then eighter head back or to nong kiaow or plain of jars.
But I don't think there will be enough time. It's only 8 days.

Second part of the holiday I'll be back at tonsai beach and the likes. (My brother who is coming with me insisted on some beach and rockcliming time).

Anyway, still not sure what part of bangkok I should be staying.
last time I stayed at 'the heritage' in the Bangrak area near a skytrain,
which was nice but there wasn't much to do in the area, I had to take the train.

I also stayed close to khao san road at Sam Sen Sam Boutique House, which i loved.
But the problem there is the lack of a skytrain, and if i would like to go to 'bed superclub' (because I don't know any other half-decent club), I'll have to go by taxi.

Also, love the website pompous. The one they have here in belgium isn't exactly a masterpiece eighter http://home.scarlet.be/rambalaobx/ .
I think they got some party head's kid to make them.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you're having a decent night out, it should be too late for the Skytrain anyways :colbert:

Bed, Q-bar, et al are for tourists, 30+ year old expats who don't know any better, and hiso-ish Thais. RCA attracts a younger, generally middle and upper-middle class crowd, while Ratchada Soi 4 is more proletarian and less-frequented by foreigners. Khao San actually has some decent venues: check out Brick Bar for live music, and Hippy Bar if you want to sit and chill. Despite being right on KSR they seem to attract a mostly Thai crowd, it's not unusual to be one of 2-3 foreigners in a packed house. RIP Gas Station Bar :qq:

Also, Ringo and I were talking about a rooftop place that we're not sure if is still open (last website update was 2009). Hopefully he will check it out soon and let us know! They have beds:

Nest by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Unrelated, but you might also be interested in checking out the jazz bar by Victory Monument, if you're into jazz. Last time I went I got mauled by a cougar.

As far as places to stay, I stayed at A-One Inn near Siam Square when I first came to Thailand, and the week before I left for USA. I think it was about 700-750/night, close to the Skytrain and... Siam Square, so there's plenty of places to eat and stuff. It's nothing special as far as charm or anything, but the location is very central and the price is pretty reasonable all things considered.

The skytrain is to do stuff during the day. At night we'll take a taxi.
I heard about that nest thing too :)
And I know that bed is fake and full of tourists. It's just that I didn't find much else.
But I'm a bit difficult when it comes to music.
usually hanging out at parties with quality music ranging from techno, house to funk and jazz.
So yes, I definitely like jazz. Although it might be a bit hard to convince my brother. Come to think of it, he fits in rather nicely at bed :)
maybe I can chekc out some places at RCA (808 or something like that?). It's rather close to bed and the likes if I'm not mistaken?
Well anyway, if any of you guy are there during these days and want to grab a beer; Let me know.

And thanks or the advice once again Pompous.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've always just used ATM's, with $100-200 in traveler's checks squirreled away from my main cash supply as emergency money.

I also have some currency questions.
Last time I was in thailand I used ATM machines to get baths.
But the Belgian banks decided last week that, because there is so much copying of cards going on in the rest of the world (where the magnet strip on a card is appearantly still used, as opposed to the chip), to just block them from working outside of the EU altogether.

However, besides my regular bankcards, I also have a mastercard, and I was wondering if this works in the ATM machines in thailand?
Also, what would be the easiest way to get Lao kip and should I also take some US dollars to Laos?
Thanks.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does it not have the little Visa or Cirrus or whatever logo on it?

You do pay a fee for withdrawing from the ATM, but it's worth the convenience and security IMO.

If cash is really the only way to go for you, I'd consider getting traveler's checks in USD, Euros, or whatever and getting them changed in Thailand as you go. More secure, even if it is a bit of a PITA (finding a bank/non-shady money changer to cash them).

Went to the bank today and appearantly I can use the mastercard to get money from the ATM's. Will take cash too of course.
Are there ATM's in Vientiane in Laos? Or is it better to exchange money in bangkok before I go there?

Also, on the whole club thing. I think I'll check out "glow". It claims to be the only underground club in bangkok. But I think they are using the term rather loosly.
But they seem to have some berliners over when I'm there, might turn out ok. Otherwise I'll check out RCA.

Btw: saw this today on boomkat, and was reminded about this thread: http://boomkat.com/downloads/370229-various-finders-keepers-thai-dai

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ringo R posted:

Guys, get some palm fap from this lady at JJ market.

I think I will this sunday.
Also, my brother desperately wants to buy a suit in bangkok.
Now, I've heard more bad things than anything else about this. So, is it possible to get a great, fairly cheap suit in bangkok, and what would be a good place to look for one?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

caberham posted:

My tuk tuk driver asked if I could spare 10 minutes of time and he would drive me to the tailor and then get a coupon for a free tuk tuk ride. I have taken a look inside the place and the salesmen are very aggressive. Cutting wise is not bad and the cloth selection is pretty wide. Too bad they don't have a colour swatch so you can't compare textiles too well.

A good tailor for a suit take 2 or 3 more reffittings. Regardless of what the salesmen say you should allocate enough time to get it right. Price wise if you picked a shirt extra, and 2 ties they can knock off 1000-1500 THB right off. They sell really aggressive and I don't like it too much. However, they promise to deliver it to your hotel which is a great bonus. If you are in the holiday mood and want a suit, go for it. Go see some touristy stuff near the old town and before you head back to khaosan or your hotel ask your tuk tuk for a FREE TRIP. He gets a gas coupon and bargain hard that you will buy something and he should give you a free ride in return.

tl, dr: Price wise for a suit it's not too bad. Hong Kong is slightly cheaper by 10% for the same fabric. Shop orders a bunch of lemmings in the countryside to get it done ASAP .

Thanks, but since we don't have enough time to go back a couple of times for a refit, I'm gonna try to persuade my brother to go do something else instead.
Also, I heard so much bad stuff about tailors in bangkok that now that I asked around that I really don't feel like taking the risk anymore.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm on a trip in thailand/ Laos at the moment. 
So far it's been great. 
I rented a motorcycle and went from Vientiane to luang prabang. 
After seeing the countryside, luang is a bit of a shock. 
I didn't expect to find an Asian version of Brugge I guess. 
And the extremely rich/old/fat tourists here aren't always my thing:) they arrive in town in ac vans to "feed the monks" instead of doing the 5 minute walk from their hotel. How did they all get here? 

Anyway, if you guys know something to do near luang, please tell me. I wanted to go to phongsavang, but theres no time anymore. I have to vet the bike back to Vientiane. So if there's an alternative to stopping over in "bucket o booze-town" vang viene, that would be nice too. ( although I have to say I had fun there, it gets old fast if you're not a 20 year old alcoholic). 
Sorry for typos, mobilephone posting...

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Check out the waterfall and Pak Ou caves. If you only have time for one, make it the waterfall. You can swim there and there are a bunch of places selling food.

Thanks.
I went to the falls yesterday.
Today my brother, who's driving with me, was super sick.
Instead of going to the caves I just took the ferry for the locals across the mekong.
It was amazing. From super buzzy touristy you go to a place where you are the only farang.
Just dirt roads and rice fields and the likes.
There should be some nice temples there too but to be honest I didn't find them:)
But I didn't care, had a nice time. Tomorrow we'll start driving back to the south.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Did you do that ride by yourself? How was it?

No, my brother got wind of my plans and wanted to come with.
It's been great, the only problem is lack of time. But you know... Work.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2011

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

If that's the one that's just north of Klong Banglampoo it used to be one of the best places to go in Bangkok for music, quite honestly, if you got there on a night when all the members of the band showed up. Tiny place with some bizzare name that I can't remember right now? Also if that Japanese bar next door is still open it's worth checking out -- for whatever reason the people running the place (who were all Japanese kids in their 20s) befriended me sometime during my second visit there and I've never felt more welcome in any other bar I've been in so far in my life. Thais like going to Khao San (though they usually go to a different set of bars than the farang) and I'd often end up at either of those two places after putting in my face time at whatever two story halfassed club they'd picked out for the night.

Also a boon fae deng is a boon fae deng but I like the one they make across the street from those two bars.

I'm going to Lop Buri to tease the monkeys tomorrow. If I can locate it on my asinine Thai highway map.

Wow thats great, I hung out a couple of days there last year before going home.
The blues bar and the Japanese one.
my girlfriend was with me and made some impresion on them because she speaks Japanese.
The vibe is soo different there.
Anyway, got to go, driving to Vientiane and on to Thailand again.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I've been back from my trip to laos/thailand for a while and like to thank everybody for the advice I got here.

It was a great trip, only problem was lack of time.
I wish I could do this for a couple months, but my job and financial situation doesn't really allow me to do so.

However, while I was in bangkok I met some people who live there and do independant jobs, totally unrelated with anything in thailand. And I'm wondering how they can.
(for example, some dutch guy running a couple of websites in the netherlands).
Anybody have any experience with this?
I'm a comicbook artist/illustrator, and basically I could do that job anywhere in the world.

some crappy pics:

(everything you need to be able to say in thai)

(for the first time in my life I'm the biggest in a group of construction workers)

(nobody got hurt, but when we got there the guy was still at the wheel,
not moving or saying anything, while his hysteric wife next to him was screaming at him)

(udon thani)

(unfortunately still a sad reality in laos)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

i81icu812 posted:

Anyone with experience rock climbing in Thailand, either at Raileh/Tonsai or Crazy Horse? I'm planning a climbing trip for next month and would appreciate any advice. All the climbing pictures I've seen look awesome, I can't wait.

After laos I went to tonsai for some climing.
To be honest after laos we didn't do that much climing. More relaxing.
When you go to railey/tonsai and don't care too much about luxury (ie you don't need aircon and a tv with no reception), I would go straight to tonsai.
The crowd is much better, and everything is much cheaper.
For instance, a pad thai on tonsai beach is 50 bath, on railey at least 150.

If you're going, say hi to phi (or however you write that) from me.
She's a climbing instructor at viking climbing (ran by, you guessed it, a scandinavian).
We hung out with her a couple of nights at the bars and was happy that somebody stayed up later than midnight.
One of the problems with climbers is that they take it way too seriously and go to bed early to be fit in the morning.
The fullmoon 'parties' there have to be taken with a grain of salt.
It's more a fullmoon nightcap before doing some balance exercises and head straight to bed :)

She'll remember me from that Belgian guy who broke his toe last year, came back this year with his brother who then broke two toes at pretty much the same loving place.

Anyway:

There's a 'blue lagoon' inside the rocks at railey, which is rather brown.
Getting there is tricky and involves some climing on sharp rocks without rope.

some sharp rocks indeed.

climbing instructor.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ringo R posted:

Why don't you give it a try? If you earn a western salary, rent in Thailand is dirt cheap. You can stay about one year on just two double-entry tourist visas no problem.

I think I would really do this. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a girlfriend now who is more looking into going back to japan (she was a JET for 4 years) than go to thailand.
But, going to japan isn't bad either...
Well, it is at the moment, but I'm hoping it will get better soon.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ReindeerF posted:

The old school FCC is still my favorite bar (and hotel) in the world and I will find a way to live there as a writer in residence when I make my first million!

Don't forget to have a huge SA goon party there when it happens.

I'm getting the feeling it's not easy to find good clubs in SE asia.
Last time in bangkok I went to the RCA area and to clubs for thai people.
I didn't like the music anywhere. And I had the feeling that the thai men in there didn't like us much.
My best nights out where always sitting at one of the roadbars, talking to strangers until 6 in the friggin' morning when traffic started to pick up again.
Good times.

Although I have to say I went to a club in vientiane that was rather interesting. There is only one huge, tall building in the city, on the banks of the river.
And because of the way it looks, I thought it was a commy party building or something. (Thanks to google I now found out it's 'Don Chan Palace', a hotel that was deliberately build on these banks to avoid building restrictions).
Until everything in the city closed at eleven and some girl (don't judge me, she was cheaper than the tuktuk) drove me there and it turned out there's a big club in there at the top of the building.
The music was still rather bad, but the location was a bit surreal.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yes, you will need Lao and Vietnamese visas in advance. Actually you should be able to get a Lao visa at the border (Friendship Bridge) but IIRC it's only 15 days, might as well get it in advance. Have a travel company do them for a nominal fee while you're in Bangkok (although you will need to set an entry date for the Vietnam visa). You can do it yourself, but it's generally not that much more to have someone else do it for you, and you don't have to waste half a day + cab fare to and from the embassy/consulate.

I think only Hanoi, Danang, and HCMC have international flights.

Getting a lao visa in advance is definetly a good idea.
I took a plane to udon thani (very cheap with air asia) and took the bus from there to vientiane. They will not let you on the bus if you don't have a visa. Otherwise everyone else on the bus would have to wait while you get one at the border.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
What are indian toilet pigs?
I can imagine all sorts of things, but i'm not going to type them because it will make me look weird.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'd ditch that guy btw, there are plenty of people who can ruin se asia for you if you let them and someone with money to burn who still lets his visa slide has that potential.

You'd also be a fool to delay your thai inroads to bangkok for such an individual imo.

I've done both with the riel :smug:

Toilet talk is now a30 minute conversation for me back here on the states. Part one is squat toilets, two is horrible chinese toilets, part three is the glorious rear end sprayer, part four is indian toilet pigs, five is sandal prints on the seat, six is the pakistani guy who used the plastic bag he was given to cover his poo poo up rather than poo poo in it, and out just keeps going on like that.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
"mental note: don't go to china".

My brother was with me in thailand and the only thing he really didn't like there was the lack of cleanliness.
He's going to india with some friends in november.
I'm expecting some great bathroom stories.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

william567 posted:

Does anyone have any advice or experience about motorbiking through Laos? Preferably or possible hiring a bike and dropping it someplace else? Although returning it wouldnt be the end of the world. . .

As usual, it's best to read what pompous has to say about this:)

i started from vientiane and followed to 13 up north for the most part.

I rented with http://www.bike-rental-laos.com/bikes.php . Expensive but very good.
he also picks up motorcycles, but that costs extra ofcourse.

A bit of advice:
-wear protection (I borought some summer biking stuff from a biker in belgium, he couldn't use it anyway in winter here). This goes for the weather too, in the mountains/mist, it can get cold sometimes.
-Fuel up if you can. There are not that many gas stations. In between vang vieng and luang I only saw one, and without it my bike would not have made it.
Ofcourse I'm sure pompous knows the magic lao word for "4 stroke fuel". But I didn't and ended up driving on reserve a couple of times in the middle of nowhere.
-Bring some toiletpaper. When it happens, you'll know.
-If the police give you a ticket, they will adjust the price for you silly farang.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

brendanwor posted:

The first and third words are different - transliterated, it's "khop khun khrap" - literally "thank you [male polite particle]". As you can see, the rolling r follows the k in the particle word.

Ah, this clarifies a lot.
On my first trip they told me I should say "kho khun khrab". "You say Khrraab, otherwise we think you ladyboooy", a helpfull guide told me.
So I told my brother he should say it like that, but then the first thais we asked told us to say just "khab".

Anyway, I shouldn't complain. The dialect in my country changes almost literally every the kilometer.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ReindeerF posted:

BigSuave, if you're out there, let us know you're alive, heh.
edited for bad taste in hindsight.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Whats everyone's opinion on what guidebook to use? should I get the SE Asia encompassed one, or ones for Laos, Burma, Thailand etc.

I had roughguides and lonely planet.
But what I used most were the iphone apps from travelfish (they have them for various cities).
If you don't have an iphone or don't want to pay for apps, travelfish is still one of the most usefull sites out there.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 25, 2011

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm shocked as well.
We didn't meet up in thailand, because by the time he got to bangkok I was already heading for laos, and we missed each other in the south too with just a couple of days.
It's weird having al these PM's of a guy who passed away.
It would really help to know what happened.

Being on a motorcycle is SE asia, climing rocks etc... you know you're taking more risks than when you would have just stayed at home.
But then again, that's not much of a life eighter.
From his posts and PM's it was clear that he was having a great time in Thailand.

Really wish it didn't end this way.
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/special-report-road-casualties-during-songkran-2011-2750

I haven't read anything about an American involved with this yet, but it seems it would be the likely reason...

Has anyone in Thailand called the US embassy yet?

271 deaths in a week.
drat, that's more like a warzone than a festival.
It looks like the motorcycle/alcohol combo is responsible for most of it.

I hope one of you guys calls the embassy.