Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Any other recommendations in the 1000baht range for later in the trip? I am planning to spend 2-3 days in Bangkok, and I will have a few nights there on travel days.

I stayed here:
http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all/3866
Close to khao san. But far enough from it to not have the noise. I loved it.
Also very nice down to earth bars in the neighborhood. As opposed to khao san itself.

http://www.suk11.com/2008/index.html stayed here, soi on sukhumvit road.
Very nice.
It all depends what neighborhood you like to hang out in. The nice thing here is the skytrain station almost next to it.

At home, I have problems meeting people, but in thailand that doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
In a bar/street restaurant, etc... somebody will usually start talking to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Or an elephant I guess hurrrr

Ladyboy riding an elephant.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Senso posted:

5 days in Ho Chi Minh City and my son is already going native. A lady gave the hat to him, we didn't even have to buy it like common tourists. :cool:

Love the yak yak yak t shirt.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Senso posted:

Anyone interested in Burma should try to get their hands on the awesome Burma Chronicles, by fellow Quebecois Guy Delisle.

Yeah, Delisle's books are great. He shows stuff you usually don't see in other stories. Very laidback and down-to-earth.
By the way, just came back from montréal. Enjoyed my stay in canada.
Some days were as humid and hot as thailand was this winter.
Didn't expect that.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Nazi Zombies posted:

I am travelling to Cambodia, and after doing some research it seems alot of the outlets will accept all 3 plug types, but are 230v.

My camera charger is 220v. This is probably a stupid question, but I can put 220 into 230 right?

The EU standard is 230. It used to be 220 in most countries, but everything that is made for 220 can take 230 normally since the late 90ties.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Macunaima posted:

Mangosteen was banned in the US until recently. I see it very occasionally at the local Vietnamese market, but not often.

Why was it banned?

One of the things I miss so much is all these fruits in SE Asia.
I didn't get to eat mangosteen in thailand though. When is the season for this?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Israeli > Chinese > Korean

A friend of mine is a stewardess, traveling all over the world and she tells me that nothing is worse than russian tourists. Not the chinese, not the drunken UK hooligans, nobody.
I didn't meet much russian tourists on my journeys (nor chinese, come to think of it),
so I don't know what to make of it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

MonkeeKong posted:

Oh yeah I've heard plenty of horror stories about the tubing. So far seventeen people have died this year so I think I'll skip out on the happy shakes and take it easy with the Lao Lao.

17 deaths? That seems a lot. Although it's possible. I was there and people do the dummest things. stay away from the ropes and platforms and the buckets of alcohol (or at least the combination of the two).
The town is nice for a couple of days. But seeing and talking to the 24/7 drunk people who've been there for weeks becomes very sad fast.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Rojkir posted:

The amount of ridiculous stories that place generates must be great forsome student column or something. I didn't go there (man I can get shitfaced with random aussies and new sealanders in Amsterdam(where I live)), but I during my travels I heard some sick and twisted stories originating from the tubing. I guess I like that they haven't bannd it yet, but goddamn, 17 deats a year would make any sane country doubt that activity.
How do you guys think that poo poo ranks on the scale of hypocrisy if I say they should ban it, while italy and switzerland allow canyoning, switzerland and austria have many more deaths a year on a mountain slope and nepal makes a shitload of money on people killing themselves on everest..
(Though all the other examples are without being drunk obviously)

But where is the number 17 coming from? Lonely planet says 'at least 5 in recent years'. Not saying it's not true, just like to know more.
I don't think they should ban it. But some basic regulation wouldn't hurt I guess.
It seems fairly easy to prevent some of these deaths.
Unlike your other examples. But maybe I'm just being a party pooper now.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ringo R posted:

Laos
30 days(?) on arrival (price depends on nationality, $35 for US passport)

I went to the lao embassy in belgium to get my visa before I left for laos. And that was a good thing too, as we were not allowed on the bus from udon thani to vientianne without a visa. But appearantly some of you are doing it at the border, I dunno.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thailand is a country in SE Asia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRxCUZp8Bg

'this music video has no intensions to insult any individual or groups' :)

Well, it's going to, regardless.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/07/vang-vieng-laos-party-town

I just had to post this here.

Title says what it's about. A rather sad story (especially the interview of the somewhat unfortunate named 'Dr. chit') .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
A friend of mine is looking for the name of the track played in this video.
The video was made in Cambodia, anyone?
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeg8V4WEnMU