Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Getting out of Bangkok Airport

Tourist bus
Recommended for: Solo travellers
This is a big nice bus intended for tourists stopping at popular tourist destinations, including Khao San rd. Located on the ground floor, exit 7 or 8 (can't remember). There's a map at the ticket booth showing the route, all in English. If there are three or more people in your group, getting a taxi will be cheaper.
Cost: 150 baht.
As a solo traveler, I took this and was not a fan. It took way too long to show up, like 45 minutes, when you're all excited to actually get into the city. Total buzzkill. And it travels a fixed route so you need to walk to your hotel at the end. Worst part was that the drive forgot that I existed and blew past my stop. Very luckily I saw the hotel I was supposed to get off at and managed to get him to stop.

Summary: If it's your first time in Bangkok, I suggest you just pay for the taxi.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

While statistically it's a tiny, miniscule chance a tourist will get the fever, insect repellent is a small price to pay.
Even if you don't care about malaria, there are lot of bugs and those bites are itchy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So you have a long layover in Hong Kong Airport...

Sleeping: There are really cool "Resting Lounge" areas with basic recliners and dimmed lights, tucked behind some of the shops. Check the airport maps, otherwise you'll never find them. There are also couches on the 2nd floor dining area, but the lights are brighter and there's more traffic.

Shower: There is a nice public lounge with $20 or so showers. It's on the 2nd floor with the other lounges. Totally worth it.

Power Plugs: There are tons. In addition to the proper charging stations, every wall in the long concourses has one buried at the bottom for the cleaners. You do need a UK power adapter. (I screwed up this last part.)

WiFi: Free.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

RangerScum posted:

Agreed, but I only get so much vacation per year. Going to go somewhere a little closer next time, or save up every possible vacation day and take a 15 day trip or something.
It can work, but you really need to minimize how much you travel around during the trip. 9 days where you go to 3 places with 3 flights is very rushed. 9 days where you go 1 place and never move is plenty of time, even if it takes 2 days of traveling to get there and back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

brendanwor posted:

Everyone here recommends Lub D hostel-wise (http://www.lubd.com), though it's near Silom rather than Khao San.
They key is to go there first, so that you think it is cheap (compared to the rest of the world), rather than last, where it is super-expensive (compared to the rest of Thailand).

I want to go back to Thailand. I wish it was closer to the US East Coast.