Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm more than likely getting laid off in the fall, two weeks after the final space shuttle mission. In October, the lease on my apartment runs out and my roommate will be leaving to move in with his girlfriend. I'll have no debt save for student loans (which I don't pay when I don't have a job) and no wife or kids. I also get a "completion bonus" for when I get laid off for somewhere around $20,000 which I'm gonna guess will be at a minimum of $15,000 after taxes. I thought about bumming around the US for a couple months then maybe going on vacation for a couple weeks, but after reading this thread, I know I'm gonna do. I don't want to spend all of that but I'm assuming I could spend 8 months, maybe more, living cheap for half of that. It's a pity I can't collect $1200 a month in unemployment while I'm over there :v:

It sounds like I should just get a ticket, not plan anything, and just go. I'm fine with that but I'd like to make sure I open up as many doors as I can beforehand. I got a few random questions I'll separate if anyone feels like answering one or two.
________

Visas, I've never been to a country that requires a visa. So Thailand is 30 or 60 days right? If I go over for 8 months or longer, I'm sure that's not going to be enough time. What do I do? Do I just plan to visit a few weeks in a neighboring country (which of course I hope to do anyway) and come to a refreshed 30 or 60 day visa? How long do I have to stay out?

I have also heard, in order to get a visa, I have to have a ticket out of the country? Does this mean I have to buy a round trip plane ticket or what? I'd rather just get a one way ticket since I'd have no idea when I'd want to come back.

________

Vaccinations. Looks like I got plenty of time to get this done. Should I just go to my GP and ask about them or is there a special place I should go? I have a feeling my GP is gonna say "thanks for the copay, I'll refer you to another place where they have the shots so you can pay another copay". I'm in the US if you didn't catch it.

_________

Photographers. I see a lot of people from dorkroom and I know I've seen some of you post about shooting over there but I forgot. I got a couple questions about gear and security.

So what did you bring? I know I'll at least bring my 50D, 17-50, and 70-200 2.8, and 580ex. Maybe pick up a tele extender if I can. That would have me pretty well covered. I guess I might as well bring my 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 too. I can get by without them but I'd hate to be over there and want them when they're really not that big and bulky. I'd hate to add stuff but I'm thinking I should pick up a small, backpackable tripod too. Thoughts?

I'd rather not bring it, but since I'm going to be shooting a lot, I think I'm going have to bring my Macbook Pro. I can't imagine dumping several months of photos into aperture then trying to process them all at once. That'd take a long time and I'd like to post photos when I'm over there. If I wasn't a photographer I would be completely cool with out a laptop, however, I don't see a good solution around this. Then again, I might also try to get into online poker again before I leave so a laptop would be needed there too.

How dangerous is it to shoot over there (dangerous meaning getting your gear stolen because that's all we care about right??)? I'd feel like a big target when I pull out a camera worth several months of someone's salary. I plan to keep my camera in a nondescript bag, but is there any other precautions I should take? Cover the canon logo? Get a cover if I get a white L lens? Is it safe to leave gear in a hotel room (or what ever you call the $2 a night shithole I'll be staying in)? Did you guys get scared about getting your gear stolen at any point? I plan to get traveler's insurance but I'd rather not get my poo poo stolen in the first place.

Have you guys run into places you can't shoot because it was a bad idea or due to the local laws? I'm just curious of how different it is than over here.

What about buying gear over there? I'm sure I'll have all the gear I need before I leave but if something breaks, I might need to replace it. Is stuff more expensive over there or cheaper? I'm always on the lookout for good deals too.

_________

Diving, I don't know how to dive and I don't know much about it. I don't know how much or if I will dive over there but I figure I should open up that door. I see that I have to get certified. Should I do it over here or there? I know a guy at work who teaches it out of his swimming pool, so I guess I could get a good discount. I'm a a big dude, will I have problems renting gear over there?

_________

Motorcycles. I've never ridden nor know how to shift gears. I'd like to fix that before I get over there. I'm in Florida. Should I just take the Basic Motorcycle Rider Course for my license endorsement? Will that be enough? I don't plan on buying or riding a bike over here.

Also would I need an International Driving Permit before I go?

_______

Forbidden Lands. It seems like everyone understandably avoids Myanmar, but if I wanted to go? I think it'd be cool to check out some crazy oppressed country. I think an "on rails" tour for a few days would be enough. Is there anything affordable/possible like this?

North Korea, has anyone been? I know it's a good ways from Thailand but is there a cheap way to get Beijing? Can I get by for cheap in Beijing for a day or two? I think it'd be cool to go if I could while I'm on that side of the world.

_______

Airports. Flying from the US (either Orlando or Atlanta) is it cheapest to just fly into BKK? Or is there another , cheaper place to fly into? I'll have plenty of time on my hands so another jump isn't a big deal.

_______

I know that's a lot of questions and I'm sure I'll have more, but thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Did you read the vaccinations thing I wrote? Go to a clinic. Google for "MY CITY vaccination clinic" or "MY CITY travel clinic." If that doesn't work try calling the health center at a nearby university (you don't have to be a student) and ask them where people go to get cheap vaccinations. If you live in NYC you can also call 311 to get this info.

Opps I read the whole thread but I missed that part. I'll schedule something in the next couple of weeks.

quote:

Do back your photos up periodically. Any internet cafe will burn DVDs for you, so just take them in and get them burned every two or three weeks. Backing up your photos onto your computer doesn't count, by the way, as a computer is something that might get stolen right along with your gear. I met several people who had had their cameras stolen in the two years I lived in Bangkok and every single one of them, no matter how expensive their gear, was much more upset about losing the pictures than losing the gear.

Yeah that's very true. I got a thing that backups up my computer to the cloud while I'm on the net, but adding the DVDs to that sounds like a good idea. How much is it to mail stuff to the US? I was thinking I could probably periodically mail them back for safe keeping. Also probably good to know if I want to mail something back home. I'm sure someone will want me to send something back.

While I'm thinking about it, is there a way to get things sent to me over there? Can I just stay somewhere and it mailed to the hotel? I don't plan on getting regular mail over there but it'd be nice to know if I really needed something I could have it mailed over.

quote:

Personally I'd rather do my bigger excursion to India / Nepal / Tibet...

I meant to ask about that too. Is it easy to go to those places on the cheap? Maybe I'll take a week or two vacation from my vacation haha.

spf3million posted:

As a photog, I understand the need for a computer. Is yours a 13"? If so, I'd bring it as well. I'd leave the flash at home, if you're worried about sticking out with your slr, imagine adding a big huge flash on top of that too...

Mine is a 15 inch. It'll be pushing two years by the time I go. I might consider selling it (probably can get something like 500-700 for it) and upgrading to a 13 before I go. I don't have any problem editing in Aperture on my 15 and I'm sure I can get by on a 13.

I've been thinking about the gear. Photography is going to the most important part of the trip for me, just to be able to go and shoot with no time restrictions or boundaries. I know I don't want or need to lug everything with me at all times, but I could see myself making kits depending on what type of shooting I plan on doing for that day/week/whatever. If I wanted get on a bike and ride around I would probably just take the camera and a zoom or two. Maybe spend a night shooting concerts? Bring the camera with the flash and my primes. Go spend a week shooting landscapes? Just the camera, 17-50 and a small tripod. That seems like it'd be pretty manageable.

I got to thinking, what about just getting a self storage unit in Bangkok or some where? I'd really need is to store a bag of stuff I don't need to carry around with me everywhere but would eventually want access to. Some googling said I could get a bag sized unit for $12 a month in Bangkok, which wouldn't be bad at all. Would something like that be possible?

I really need to start thinking about gear now while I have a job and can still buy it.

Steve. posted:

I take a camera that is water and shock resistant, too. I have an Olympus point and shoot that'll do 10m underwater, handle fairly rough treatment, and still work. Image quality isn't fantastic but it's certainly adequate.

I'm definitly going to pick up a pocketable point and shoot before I go. I plan to have one on person at all times. I'm probably going to go with a Canon S90 though. They make underwater housing for them which I may buy.

quote:

Anyway, some more thoughts: Don't skip Malaysia. It's like Thailand: cheap, friendly, beautiful, and delicious. The visa free period for most visitors is 90 days, and there's a hell of a lot to see and do. Go to Borneo, see orang utans in the wild before there are none left.

I'd love to visit as many countries as I can and that sounds awesome. I read an article in Nat Geo awhile ago about Borneo and it really sparked my interest. I remember thinking I'd probably never be able to go there when reading it.

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's also apparently kinda boring.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3

That makes me want to go even more! Watched the whole thing, really interesting.

Cacto posted:

Depending on what you have to do with the space shuttle, going to North Korea might be a really, really bad idea. Have you thought this through?

No I haven't thought anything through, just been thinking of possibilities. As it stands now, being employed, I have to ask permission to go to a foreign country. I can imagine if they so no to anywhere it'd be North Korea. However if I were unemployed, I don't see anything that could stop me. There is really nothing classified about the shuttle now a days and I specialize in ground operations safety which I doubt they would give a gently caress about. They'd learn more about launching rockets by surfing the internet than what I could tell them. I don't know if the US government would have a problem with me going or not, but when the Department of State gives you advice on visiting, it makes me think not. Also, it'd be funny if I got another government job and had to fill out the form of what countries I've visited. I can imaging how much fun Homeland Security would have with that one.

With that said, what it's going to come down to is money. I don't know how much it would cost but I could imagine I'd spend over $1000 getting there, getting in, and getting back to SEA. Probably more. If that same money could be used to stay in SEA for a couple more months, it's not going to be worth it. I'll probably save it for a future vacation when I have more money than time.

________

Thanks everyone for spending all the time answering my questions, it's all very helpful.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Broohaha posted:

So I just got in touch with a friend who said he might be interested in traveling to Thailand with me. Unfortunately he doesn't have his passport and neither of us know how long it will take him to obtain one. He and I are wondering 1) how long it will take to obtain a US passport and 2) if he can enter Thailand without a passport. On the official Thai site they say this:

He and I are both going to do more research obviously but I wanted to see if anybody here is familiar with how to go about getting this "travel document that is recognised by the Royal Thai Government." Anybody? (My friend is a born and bred American citizen who lives in the midwest, btw).

Try a little Googling, not hard to find: http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

You need a passport, there is no way of getting around it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

brendanwor posted:

Haha what? "How do I travel internationally without a passport?" Really?

Maybe his midwest friend just broke out of prison and needs to make his way to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

drat that Japanese Encephalitis vaccine costs $350 per shot and it takes two shots. I think I'm gonna skip it; the odds look good.

What am I looking at as far as costs for operating a iphone with a data plan in Thailand? I know I gotta get it unlocked. I don't plan on being tied to or dependent on my iphone during my trip, but goddamn it's too useful to leave at home. It'd be nice to have a phone for emergencies but I'm more interested in the data plan for various apps. What's cover like and what happens when I go into another country? I may not even bother if it only works in Thailand.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone do any trekking in SEA? The kind where you go out on foot in the woods and camp and poo poo for a few days. It's something I wanted to get into here in the states but haven't gotten to it yet.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I did that (with a guide) in the Northeast. What do you want to know about it?

Was it fun? Did you get to see some cool remote places? Do they provide gear for you?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sounds like a lot of fun and something I'll look into doing when I get there.

Sheep-Goats posted:

The guide that I went with also does jungle subsistence camping treks where he shows you how to build all of that stuff if that's what you're interested in, but compared to the woods in Montana (where I'm from) camping in the jungle seems like a pretty happy-go-lucky affair. Instead of "always be prepared" the jungle more or less provides everything you might need short of medicine and a rain slicker and hiking shoes.

Good to know, I was worried about having to stock up on gear. Now I also know why, in Cannibal Holocaust, the group's guide only went into the jungle with weed, cocaine, and a rifle.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Where do I look/who do I talk to about getting travel insurance? I'm only worried about health while I'm over there and covering my ~$5000 from breaking/getting stolen. I got my gear insured in the US with Metlife, I guess I can ask them about covering my trip. As for health do I really need to worry about covering evacuations to the US? While I'm in SEA I won't have a home or health insurance in the US.

One thing I really don't need is a refund if I have to cancle my flight. I'll have plenty of time and can always reschedule the flight if something happens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I hope to go to Malaysia during my trip too. It's starting to seem like a year in SEA may just not be enough time. Depending on ticket prices, I may just start my trip in Singapore rather than BKK. I'll just let fate decide and go with what ever is cheaper.

How bad is Singapore on the wallet? I heard they have the best food in the world, but I can't imagine wanting to stay more than a few days

I checked into getting insurance today and it looks like my renters insurance (with a replacement value rider for my camera gear) will cover me world wide against anything getting lost/stolen/broken. As for health it seems like these travel insurance places only have a single package available that covers the usuals. I'm estimating it'll be around $500-$600 for the year.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Broohaha posted:

1. I have a verizon phone and I dont know if I can unlock it. If I can't, what is my bet cell phone option when I get there? If I take my phone to my local vzw store tomorrow will they tell me how to unlock or am I SOL?

I think you might have some problems doing that. My knowledge of cell phones and networks is outdated so I can't be of much help to you. You'll be better off asking in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3206955

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just fell victim to my first Thai scam. I went to a Thai restaurant here in Orlando and ordered a diet coke with my meal. They served me in a glass filled from the fountain machine and I got 3 refills. When I got the bill I was charged $2 for each glass.

Son of a bitch.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

While we're on the subject of bags, I've been putting a lot of thought into what bag/s I'm going to bring with me. I'm currently investing into camera gear for the trip and the bag I bring will dictate what gear I can bring. Therefore I'll want to get my bag pretty soon before buying gear to fill it.

What are you guys thoughts on bringing two bags? I could bring my Kata DR-467 backpack for all my camera gear, laptop, and other expensive things then fit all my clothes and toiletries in a normal sized duffle bag. I think this set up would be fine for me if I don't find myself in a situation where I need to carry both bags with me at all times all day. I'm assuming I'll always have a guesthouse/hotel/whatever to ditch the gym bag in. The Kata backpack has enough room to carry my camera gear and a few personal items for jaunting around all day.

The other option, if I really needed just one bag, would be to pick up something like the Naneu K5. It's a hiking backpack with a large camera compartment that turns into a backpack itself. It wouldn't be a bad solution but the camera compartment wouldn't be as nice to carry around as the Kata bag nor have as much room.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If I end up going to SEA for a year there are two events (One in Baltimore and one in Bergen, No) that I'd like to go two for a week each. Would booking round trip flights to these places from SEA be cheaper or more expensive? Basic searching shows ~$1200ish.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Same price, less convenient, in my limited experience.

Also what event could there possibly be that anyone would want to go to in Baltimore? John Waters festival?

Maryland Deathfest in Baltimore and Hole in the Sky fest in Bergen. It's worth flying back for.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So how does this visa stuff work again? I see I can get up to 90 days with an extension in Thailand. Let's say I go there with a 60 day visa, stay a month then hit another country for awhile. Does that 60 days keep counting down when I'm in another country or does it pause? Will I come back with 30 days when I return to Thailand?

How long do I have to wait for another 90 days? Next calendar year or can I stay out of the country for 4 months and get a whole new 90 days?

My main concern is that I'd like to use BKK as a hub and don't want to be barred entry to the country.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Well it looks like I will finally be laid off from my job on October 1st. I'll have no apartment here, no car payment, no kids, and only a couple >$100 a month bills to pay. I'm getting 19 weeks of pay as severance so I'll have the cash to go too. I think I'm gonna bum around the US here and visit family/friends until mid to late January. I'm guessing the best time to buy my plan ticket would be in November. I'm going to plan to go at least until a week before Memorial Day (got a big thing planned in the US that weekend), but I might head back for longer if I'm still doing good on cash.

While we're on the subject of bags, I think I decided on what I want to bring with me.

Right now I have this Kata DR-467 that can hold my laptop and all my camera gear that I'm bringing:

As far as my clothes and toiletries go, I think I can fit everything into here:

Even though I have a laptop sleeve on my camera bag, I'm opting for the laptop holder since it won't be often that I'll need to carry my laptop with my camera gear.

I'm assuming those two bags should get me aboard any flight and shouldn't cause much hassle toting around. I know the pelican is a bit heavy but I think it's going to make up for the fact that it's waterproof, indestructible, and will last longer than me. I'll probably also going to repurpose it as a lighting case when I get back from traveling.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The thing is really not that big, it's FAA carry on size. I'm gonna be stuck with two bags anyway unless I get a big rear end bag like this. So i'm thinking it's going to be my kata + a carry on sized duffle bag. The advantage to the pelican is that it rolls and I can sit on it. Though you're right it does scream steal me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hey Haggins, this is kinda Dorkroom material, but are you bringing a P&S camera? I saw an S90 with the underwater housing on Craigslist this morning, something like that would be the ultimate backpacking pocket camera.

I picked up a S90 a couple months ago, love the poo poo out of it. I'm probably going to get the housing too, just need to get the cash together for it. As for other gear goes I'm going to bring my 50D 17-50 2.8, 580ex 2, 50 1.8 (may as well it's small), and I'm probably going to pick up a sigma 8-16.

I'm also debating on which 70-200 I want to buy. I don't think I want to go with the f4 so I'm thinking either the 2.8 non IS or IS II. The sigma 2.8 is also an option but I know I'm going to want to upgrade it and I don't think it'll hold its value as well as the canon. If I splurge for the IS II it'll be the last lens in that range I ever buy and it'll double as a 140-400 that's close to par with 100-400 if I get the 2x extender. That'll save me $1000 and I'd have to carry around one less lens.

/dorkroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Yes, get the f/4. f/2.8 is way overkill.

I agree if I were just buying it for this 4 months to a year long trip, but I plan on doing weddings eventually and would like something I can use inside. Even if I buy the is II I'm still I'm still looking at a travel budget of ~$25000 for 2011.