Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Hey look a new thread

I did a bike tour (the pedal variety) January 09 to May through Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia, had a phenomenal time, fell in love each day, wrote about it and posted it online here: http://bikemandan.com/seasia
Big thanks to Pompous Rhombus who followed the blog and helped me along the way

My last post in the blog has some recommendations I thought useful and as already stated, being careful of scams is unfortunately necessary, I got caught up in some weird "blackjack" scam in Kuala Lumpur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Do not bring Cambodian Reals out of the country, you will NOT be able to change them anywhere.

I changed some in Bangkok but you'll want to bring your lube... Best to use them up in the country as stated. Not likely you'll end up with much anyway since in Siem Reap and PP and elsewhere it's used only in lieu of US coins (<$1)

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Sheep-Goats posted:

...words...

Also be aware that if your US money is ripped torn or dirty they may not want to accept it.

My favorite example of this was the visa run nonsense from Ranong to Burma. There's a trade setup in the town and the port area strictly in offering crisp fresh :10bux: to satisfy the military on the other side. I had some $5s I brought from home and out of 6 of them they finally accepted 2 (got lucky)

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Almost two years now since I started my last trip and I can feel the itch coming on to get back
Thinking about another mid January several month trip.

Airline tickets - Im not so concerned about dates, origin or destination (roughly Western US to East Asia); any advice on scoring the cheapest tickets?

Cheapest so far I found is Hainan Air flying Seattle to Beijing for $550 plus taxes, fees, first born

dwoloz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 29, 2010

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

GZA Genius posted:

Koh Phangan

I stayed in Ban Mae Hat. Very laid back and quiet. Kayaking and snorkel are good. They were unfortunately building some larger resort style place though. Theres a sandbar that connects to the small island across the way Ko Ma with some cheap primitive bungalows. Its secluded though, poor access back to town and the party, which is good and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Hm, didn't even notice, BKK has a train now, how about that

Does this spell the end for taxis?