Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?
I have a few quick questions about Thailand, Kanchanaburi in particular. There's a few day tours I've been checking out online that look interesting, but all of the tours that involve bamboo rafting also seem to be tied with elephant riding, which I'm not keen on. Is bamboo rafting something that can be organised independently outside of a set tour? Or is it just a matter of going on one of these tours and then saying no to the elephant ride part?

...Is bamboo rafting down the River Kwai even worth it? Opinions welcome.

Also if anyone has stayed at either Blue Star Guest House, Sabai @ Kan or Ploy Guest House in K'buri, your opinions would be welcome also. Right now I've got my eye on a bungalow at Blue Star which sits over the river, but I haven't booked anything yet.

Three weeks until we head off! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

I won't be booking any tours online in advance; I meant that I was just looking around on some sites to see what kind of things were available to do. I'm not interested in riding elephants or anything to do with tigers because I'm not interested in supporting those practices - probably the only animal-related thing I will end up doing is visiting the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai, although I am still doing a bit of research into that.

Doesn't really faze me if I don't go bamboo rafting to be honest, but I noticed that the two activities (that and elephant riding) do seem to be linked in every tour that I've seen, so I was just wondering whether it was something that could be done ad hoc if we decided it might be a nice way to pass some time.

Noir, how long were you in Kanchanaburi for? That's the first time I've heard that there's not much to do around there, although most people whose reports I've read/heard seem to only have been there for no more than a couple of days. We're only staying for one night, two days, so we will probably be quite busy most of the time. As well as the historical stuff around town I'm quite keen to go to Sai Yok and/or Erawan.

SonicDefiance fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 11, 2010

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

We're in Bangkok at the moment and at a bit of a loss as to what to do regarding travelling around. Our original plans for the next couple of days were:

Friday March 12th - check out of our Bangkok hotel, take a bus from the Thonburi bus terminal to Kanchanaburi and spend the night there
Saturday March 13th - take a bus back into Bangkok, and catch an overnight train down to Surat Thani from Hualamphong station

With these protests starting tomorrow, we're a bit worried about being able to get back into Bangkok to catch our overnight train. Tickets are already booked, and we can't change the dates of the ticket (to Friday) because that train is sold out. Our two options at the moment are:

1) Stay in Bangkok for an extra night, somewhere near Hualamphong, lie low and take the overnight train on Saturday as planned
2) Go to Kanchanaburi (it might be difficult to get to the bus terminal but I'm sure we would eventually get there), but change our train ticket so we'd be able to hop on at Nakhon Pathom instead of having to go back into Bangkok.

What would you guys (Ringo R, Pompous, Sheep-Goats etc) recommend of these two? I'm a bit leery of being in Bangkok on the weekend. What is the likelihood of the trains being disrupted in your opinion? If the trains don't run then I guess we're hosed no matter which of those two options we take.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

Has Phi Phi really become that bad that you are suggesting Samui is a better option? Admittedly I made the mistake of staying in Chaweng, but Koh Samui was by far the lowlight of our trip (had an absolutely AMAZING time by the way, crammed as much as we could into the 2.5 weeks we had, and will definitely be returning more than once to take in more of the country) for the same reasons you stated below re: Phuket. I was under the impression that Koh Phi Phi was a little less touristy - maybe not by much, but bearable.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3319924

Can't tell if it's a troll or not, but I thought it was quite timely given the current discussion!

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

MrNemo posted:

...and have found a bar that sells goony craft beer (although ridiculously expensive).

That wouldn't happen to be Taps Beer Bar, would it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

MrNemo posted:

The very same. You're not going to tell me it routinely waters down beer or makes money off child slavery are you? That would ruin my drinking fun here.

Haha no no, definitely not. A guy I know co-owns the bar actually; he's a Malaysian ex-pat who lives here in Melbourne. I went to Taps back in February when I visited KL and it's pretty good, if a bit sterile (compared to some of the craft beer bars I've been to in Australia and the US). That said, you really won't find anything else like it in KL, so it's worth going. From what I understand, taxation on alcohol in Singapore and Malaysia is ridiculous, so I sort of came to expect to pay through the nose when I went out. That said, pretty much everything else is so drat cheap that you can't really complain!