Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vanillablue posted:

The tours sound pretty sweet, but I'm kinda turned off at the idea of spending $2k in SE Asia in 2 weeks plus airfare.

Those tour prices are ridiculous. You could fly between the cities for that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Speaking of India, is cycling/hitchhiking/camping the northern part of the country any more insane than Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam? I've got friends in Srinagar and I wanna see Nepal and Sikkim too, this already sounds like a couple months' worth of destinations. What's my budget look like if I fly in with a tent and start walking?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maybe, just maybe people travel to the places and do the things that they can afford.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ah yes, dangerous drugs from foreign cultures like shrooms.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eviljelly posted:

Also lol @ the "true backpacker experience". Everyone knows that being a bike tourist is the only true way to experience a country :smug:

I'm pricing tents right now, but there's no way I'm gonna ever tell someone "oh dude, a room? And you paid eight bucks for it? lmao enjoy your a/c, I have air flaps. :smugdog: " It's pretty easy to not be an rear end in a top hat, especially when eyeballing your travel companions' different needs and abilities.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Austin -> Bangkok for $1050 is the cheapest I can find in the next two months. Should I jump on that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nah, it's one-way so I can jog up to Chiang Mai to attend a language school and get TEFL certified, but that's for otherthread I guess. Two-way tickets run about $1700 between today and June 15, which is ludicrous. I'm not interested in them, anyway; this is total escapism for running away forever, etc.

vv Thanks, dude.

edit again: Holy poo poo, $593 LAX to BKK with Air China, I bet I can find an Austin -> LAX for dirt cheap.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's opened up to US business development, which probably means bars owned by white guys.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hahaha, his wikipedia is amazing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This goony weirdo, all I can imagine is that he thought "Japanophelia? That's been done."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's already startin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Rohingya_riots

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I totally agree, if the Shan in particular (who are already fairly autonomous) flex some muscle and get pushback, things could get bad in a hurry. They have standing militias and huuuuge amounts of very rugged local land they control.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eviljelly posted:

I really hope the dog vendor knew what the girl wanted but chopped the dog's head off quickly to spite her. "Rescue this, white devil!!!" Bad-rear end.

I won't let the scenario play out any other way in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

Turns out I need to spend at least another couple of days out here, though; some unspecified stuff happened and I'm booked in for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning.

Happens to the best of us, man.