Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Things n Stuff
Jun 7, 2005
Degrassi Junkie
Heyas. I'm looking for a bit of help, and hoping you smartypantses will know more than me.

My boyfriend and I are planning a 3.5 week trip around Thailand, including a 5 - 6 day visit to Phuket. We fly in on April 16 (yeah, I know it's in a big holiday long weekend and I'll have a bit of struggle finding inexpensive accommodation for the first couple days).

I'm trying to decide how many days to allocate to Phuket and surrounding, since I want to book my onwards flight before the prices skyrocket. I will either be staying 5 or 6 days, before moving on to Chiang Mai

Here are the things I want to do:
-Dive (day trip/local dive shop)
-Snorkel (a couple hours anywhere with decent snorkeling will do)
-Beginners rock climbing course
-Sea kayaking
-Pretty beach scenery

I have to be in Phuket, since I fly into and out of there. The oter places I've looked at are Krabi/Railay, Koh Phi Phi, Phang Nga, and Koh Lanta (but so far it doesn't seem to offer anything that I can't get on the other islands). I know I can't do all of these. 2 or possibly 3 if I can manage it would be more than enough. I'm more concerned about getting to do the things listed above.

Can anyone come up with a rough sketch of what an itinerary based on that would look like? It can include day trips, busses, ferries, but not rental cars 'cuz neither of us want to drive. I likely won't stick to it 100%, but I like having a bit of an idea what's up before I arrive when I'm on a tightish schedule.

Aaaaand..GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Things n Stuff
Jun 7, 2005
Degrassi Junkie

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe:
Phuket: 1 day, hope to catch some Songkran
Krabi: 3 or 4 days -- extend for the activities you mentioned if necesscary
Phi Phi: 3 or 4 days -- extend for the activities you mentioned if necesscary
Travel to Siem Riep in Cambodia: about a day, fly if you can, rest up
Angkor Wat: Two or three days, fly to Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai: Two or three days, fly to Mae Hong Son
Mae Hong Son: One day for the town, three or four days for extended hilltribe trek
Rest of time: revisit a favorite (more beach, more NE, whatever) and concentrate on doing nothing much
Second to last two days: Bangkok (a few temples, a few nightclubs, a few malls, maybe Jatujak, maybe Chinatown)
Last day: Back to Phuket for your flight home

These little inter-region flights aren't too pricey and don't have to be booked to far in advance to be affordable.

Hey, thanks!
I've actually sorted out most of my travel plans, it's just the islands that were giving me a headache. So far, it looks like this: Bangkok - (overland to ) Angkor Wat - (overland to) Ho Chi Minh - (Fly to) Phuket - (fly to) Chiang Mai - (overland to) Kanchanaburi if we have time - (overland to) Bangkok, and then we fly back out of Bangkok. Other than booking the flights, I don't want to make 100% firm plans, in case I love somewhere and want to stay, or hear about somewhere nearby that I hadn't even thought of, or something else comes up.

If it were just me, I'd likely have cut a couple places and taken it a bit easier, but my boyfriend REALLY wants to see some stuff, and I REALLY want to see some other stuff. So, there we are.