Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

moflika posted:

Dumb question, but it's annoying me at the moment: How easy is it to find cheap rear end umbrellas around? Should I bother bringing a light rain jacket?

I'll be going all over SE Asia from mid March to early May and I'm assuming I'll hit the occasional shower. I hate umbrellas, but it seems like a jacket would be uncomfortable in hot, humid weather. I've got everything else covered, but since this is the last thing, it's annoying me much more than it should :/

Depending on where you are going, you will often get torrential rain, but it clears up quickly and the sun will soon dry off any wet clothes, (Still, wear quick drying clothes instead of jeans). In built-up areas you are never far from a cafe/mall/restaurant/bar so the best thing to do is just chill in one of those for about an hour until it's all clear.

If you are going to anywhere that is celebrating Songkran in April, you WILL also get soaked. In that case the only thing you should worry about is protecting your valuables in plastic bags.

quote:

edit: Also, do you backpackers bring a bunch of dollars or get money whenever you need it from an ATM? A friend of mine who is coming along on the trip is going to carry around 600 dollars and that seems pretty drat stupid to me. I'm guessing most tourist areas take dollars, but I can never loving relax when I have that much on me. I'm definitely going to bring some "O poo poo, the machine ate my card" emergency dollars, but I don't know about turning myself into a minibank.

You are right: taking 600 dollars is pretty drat stupid. There are ATMs everywhere in Thailand, and probably in most major areas throughout South East Asia. Your friend shouldn't expect everywhere to accept USD. Big tourist hotels will take $$$, but the average person will expect local currency. Also, he will probably end up being screwed by exchange rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU