Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I think we need a Visa FAQ in the OP...

Nobody reads the OP anyway! :P But yeah, I'll write something, unless someone else wants to?

Is there a decent dim sum restaurant in Bangkok that's not too expensive? I've been to two so far and they both served what was obviously deep frozen crap they bought in a supermarket. Terrible!

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hope you guys don't mind me spamming my Red shirt pics here. I think some of you old Bangkok vets who are now overseas might want to see it.

Welcome to Bangkok!

Relax at Lumpini park!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A couple of grenades hit Silom about an hour ago. People started to run and I thought I could get away on the Skytrain. However, they stopped running as one grenade hit the roof.

(upper right)

Edit: Three dead, RIP :(

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 23, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Firaga posted:

Later this year I'm planning to go to SE Asia for a month. I want to hit up Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, maybe Laos, maybe Malaysia. Doing all of my research, I really have no idea what I'm doing so this will be one hell of an experience.
I have some questions, so bear with me!

Are there any must-sees or dos that I should defiantly plan around?
What are your interests? Do you like trekking? Diving? Temples? Whores?

Does it make sense to see all 5 of those places with my budget and time? Or should I just cut it down to 3 or whatever?
I'd probably cut it down to three countries, unless you enjoy being constantly on the move. Depends on whether you want a fast paced or relaxed holiday I guess.

So if I have a budget of $1000-1200 over one month, am I actually going to be doing touristy stuff like tours, surfing, admission to things, etc or is that pretty much just living day to day and sightseeing?
If you stay in fairly cheap places and eat local food, you'll be able to tours and stuff and party hard couple of nights per week I think.

Am I going to be doing any "hiking"? Like treking through mountains or forests or is travel pretty much all transit?
You'll only need to do hiking if you want to. Pretty much all tourist areas are well developed.

Is it worth having an itinerary to follow? for reference? say gently caress it and just get a general idea and a guide and live day to day?
A little of both I think. I mean if you get to a town along your itinerary that you don't like you'll probably get out fast and spend more time somewhere else.

Also how reasonable would it be to get a job there and stay maybe another month? Is it worth it?
I think people who travel through the region and get a job mostly do it for the "experience". Pay is not very good and you won't be able to save up much. Teaching English is the most common job. I don't think it'll be easy to just work for a month though.

I read this thread already but if anyone has any more advice for a first time traveler, I'm listening. Thanks for all the help.
Read up about common scams in the area. Don't fall in love with a bargirl.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Broohaha posted:

Thanks for the info. Is clothing there very cheap (i.e. something like 3 boxers for 50 bhat and/or a t-shirt for 30 bhat)?

Not quite that cheap unfortunately. A decent t-shirt is probably around 150-200 baht. There are shirts for 100 baht or less but if you wear those you'll be mistaken for a rice farmer or something (ok, some of them are not that bad).

I've met one or two guys who have done what Pompous said about leaving stuff with friendly guesthouse owners and it seems to work fine. If that doesn't work out I can hide it somewhere in my luxury condo (I'm in Bangkok) in exchange for hilarous amounts of beer. But I won't be responsible for any stains on your belongings. Things get out of control when my gay lovers come over.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Sheep-Goats posted:

...but if you're not in Phuket the beach won't be littered with orangeish 45 year old European men in speedos and...

...their girlfriends (carefully selected from a bar the night before) who is half their age and size and can not stop ordering overpriced food on the beach because the silly old men is paying. Dahling, dis very aroi na, order four for you, me and my friend me.

I think Phuket is alright if you can rent a motorbike to get around. You can still find a few secluded beaches. It won't be so good though if you need to rely on tuk-tuks to get around. They'll try to charge you 1000 baht to go a few blocks or something.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Oh hay guyz I just travelled to the other side of EARF and first thing I do is get on the internets!

Just kidding :) 7-11 definitely has shampoo and toothbrushes, look harder. Or maybe the ones on KSR are different? You should :frogout: and do the usual temple walk. Grab a map and do it yourself, don't hire a tuktuk. Check out the crazy red shirt fortress opposite MBK. You can walk past the barricades and see expensive shopping malls shut down by a bunch of farmers.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Another one that's too good not to post (not mine):

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ziebarf posted:

Well the SEA leg of my trip is coming to an end tonight, gently caress. It went by so fast, but was easily the best 6 months of my life. Thanks again helpful goons.

Make it a memorable last night by barfining every girl in a bar, take them back to your hotel room and do a re-enactment of swap.avi. Gomedy goldmine!

- - -

Regarding Thai food, I think it can be a bit hard if you don't have aforementioned Nan and her sister-me to guide you around the food carts, NOT food courts. Perhaps ask hotel staff for good places where Thais go or something. A lovely dish to get you started (that should not destroy your stomach):
Grilled pork neck with Thai papaya salad - Kaw moo yaang & som dtam Thai. The sauce they serve it with is so good I could drink it straight :(

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 4, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Broohaha posted:

I'm thinking about renting a bike so I can travel around the island. I've been quoted prices from 150-250 bhat for the whole day: seems way too good to be true. Am I gonna get swindled?

It's pronounced "pom ben ghe" or something. Those prices are standard rates, yes. If you total it or it gets stolen you have to pay for it though. There's no insurance. You're on an island so things are generally more expensive. Stay off the interwebs, you are on holiday. Don't be the guy who updates his facebook status every 5 minutes.

ZeroDays posted:

Time to knock up a basic itinery, though will be first time in the country so I won't exactly be searching for things to do.

For evening entertainment, tell taxi driver "Nana plaza" or "Soi Cowboy".

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

I am a nam chim connoisseur and every Thai cook is amazed at the depth of my nam chim knowledge. "Now do you use the tamarind or the lime? That's interesting. What brand of fish sauce?" GENG GENG GENG YOU GENG MAHK LUI!

Cool, Nan must have tought you well. So do you have a favorite recipe? I want to be able to make my own when not in Thailand.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

freebooter posted:

It's beautiful and gorgeous... until you get close, and see the rubbish and filth all over the beaches

Yeah unfortunately trash is a problem in the region because 99% of the locals just don't know better. It's a bit painful to see a beautiful secluded beach ruined by crap everywhere. I was recently in Hua Hin and the northern part of the beach is just a disaster. Thais just seemed to ignore it and kept snapping pictures. There was a father taking pictures of his lovely family and the mother was smiling while kicking away trash that was around her feet :barf: Don't expect Cambodia to be cleaner. I took a bus from Koh Kong to Phnom Penh once and there was trash along the road pretty much all the way. Hopefully in 20 years or so people will learn to stop treating their country like a gigantic trashcan.

If you go to 7-11 in Thailand and buy a pack of chewing gum they'll put it in a plastic bag for you because, you know, it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry it otherwise or put it in your pocket. At the bottom of my ghetto apartment building there's a small convenience store where I usually buy beer. The guy who runs it knows me, knows I live in the building yet EVERY single time I have to say "no bag thanks" :( When I become the PM of Thailand (will happen fairly soon) I'll ban plastic bags and Thai soap operas.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Ah yes, forgot about the straws. I'll ban those as well. Shopping 10 items at a supermarket will usually end up with you going home with these 10 items in 20 bags. First they put the smaller items, such as fruit (that is already wrapped in its own plastic bag), into a small plastic bag. Then they put all those small plastic bags together in a big plastic bag. And for any sliiightly heavier items, such as milk (that has its own handle), they'll give you two bags because one bag might not be strong enough. :smithicide:

Sheep-Goats: Yeah garbage guys are quite amazing because everybody is making life so hard for the poor bastards. There are one or two actual public trash cans that are divided into different sections (plastic, paper etc) yet people throw whatever they want in any of those sections :smithicide:

I apologize to everybody that this is turning into what all Thai expat forums on the internet are like, miserable old farts whining about Thailand and their missus + family-me screwing them. We just need to whine a little bit. drat you Nan, I trusted you! No, I've never touched sister-me!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ZeroDays posted:

I'm in Chiang Mai just now and it's simply too hot to do anything. I was all psyched up to go trekking, but with temperatures not falling below 38 for the next few days and regularly tipping into the 40s, it's not likely to happen. I thought it'd be cooler up here than in Bangkok but I couldn't have been more wrong. It means I get to chill in cafes and read a book, which is a nice change of pace, but I feel I need to at least do something while I'm here. I now truly appreciate "off-season". And I'm never renting a non air-con room again to save a few baht. Worst feverish sleep ever.

Heat bitching and moaning aside, I've been having a great time so far, and now hopefully have slightly cooler islands to the south to look forward to.

Have you gone up Doi Suthep, not just to the temple but like all the way up? Should be a bit cooler up there. I think treks take place at a higher altitude than Chiang Mai, so maybe it won't be too bad. Cheese-Goats will correct me if I'm wrong :) I'm also fairly sure the islands will be hotter. Only time it'll cool down is when it rains :P But you'll get a nice breeze if you stay close to the sea.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Funny Not The Nation article about Thai-English:
http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=902

Made me remember a restaurant menu in Si Phan Don, Laos. They had managed to misspell almost every single dish on that menu. They probably thought I wanted to order more as I couldn't stop reading the menu even after ordering :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Thais seem to skip queues. Maybe I'm all rigid and British in my queuing habits, but on four separate occasions, Thais have just waltzed in front of me as if I'm completely invisible (all 7-11s) for no reason that I can see other than to suppose that either Thais don't give a gently caress about queues, or I'm ignorant of some queuing etiquette. :mad:
You have to push to the front! If there's 10cm gap between you and the person ahead of you, you are not considered part of the queue. So hump the person infront of you.

Thais throw poo poo fits if you have to burst a 1000 baht note. It's not my fault that it's all the ATMs fart out, and if it's any consolation, I do dread having to crack open a new 1000 when I don't have the bill to justify it.
:mad:
I almost always break 1000 notes at 7-11, they never seem to mind.

Koh Tao apparently has more motorbikes than people. Holy poo poo, for such a small island with so few (two-wheel navigable) roads, it seems that everyone is buzzing about the footpaths on their Yamaha Wave or some other lovely bike, and this is the only place where I genuinely haven't seen a single helmet.
Thais don't like to walk :colbert:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That and I only got to see the armpits of Thailand (Pattaya @ Khao San, though I did spend a day at CentralWorld, RIP), so I wouldn't mind heading up to Chiang mai (or however its spelled) on my way to Laos.

What would be a good itinerary for like 10 days our of Bangkok?

EDIT

Can you rent a motorbike in Chiang Mai and take it into Laos? Would you want to? Rhombus unfortunately got himself banned...

Although I've never tried I'm sure the answer is NO CAN on bringing your rented motorbike across the border. Otherwise people in the armpits of Thailand would be constantly renting and selling it across the border. I've heard stories that even Thais do this and some places refuse to rent to Thais :) They usually keep your passport as deposit or a hilarious amount of money (more than what the bike is worth).

As for itinerary, how about something like Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Laos (make your way down south to Vientiane or if you have time, Pakse) - Back to Thailand via Vientiane/Nong Khai or Pakse/Ubon?

E: Oh yeah, buses in Laos are usually old and slow so expect long transportation times!

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ZombiesAhead posted:

I just booked a one-way to Bangkok for next month and I'm planning on staying in the country indefinitely but my first month there will be occupied by a TEFL course. I'm arriving a few days early and the 30-day tourist visa will expire before I'm done with the course.

What's the best way to go about getting a longer duration Visa? I thought there was a 60-day I could apply for but I'm really struggling with the Thai consulate website's options.

(I'm American)

What you get on arrival is NOT a tourist visa. It's just a stamp that allows you to stay for 30 days. I'd suggest you get a tourist visa from your nearest Thai embassy/consulate or whatever it's called. With a tourist visa you are allowed to stay 60 days + 30 days if you want to extend it for 1900 baht. The tourist visa is a big, shiny, colorful, happy sticker that will take up one whole page in your passport.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 10, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Also, Thai women, mate. They're just amazing. Met me missus in a bar in Nana and we've been married for 10 years now living happily in Isaan and we... OH poo poo WRONG FORUM.

Edit:

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 20, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

brendanwor posted:

Anyone want to grab a beer or three?

Sure, outside which 7-11 นะค่ะ?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

brendanwor posted:

19th sounds cool. Ringo?

Oh that's a monday, not sure if it's a good idea to drink then. Not that I plan to get wasted but hmm, will have to get back to you on that as the date gets closer.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yes but her parents want a lovely lukkrung baby child to grow up and be in Thai soap operas so granpa/grandma aren't an issue!

This. Make girlfriend squeeze out a halfie, dump him/her in girlfriend's village until age 18. Pimp him/her to Thai soap operas (if white enough, no actual talent required). Sit back and watch the money roll in. If money does not roll in quickly enough, "leak" a sex video.

No offence, brendanwor! We just kidding na

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Great idea, ReindeerF!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

PaoFerro posted:

Just wondering if anyone worked their way down to Tat Lo in the southern half of Laos? I spent about a week there and it was by far one of the greatest places I've ever been.

Sounds familiar, I'm pretty sure I passed through it on my loop around the Bolaven Plateau. You don't need to go all the way there for farang-free though. Just go off the beaten path and you'll be staying in well ventilated houses and drinking rain water :v:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

TreFitty posted:

I recently bought plane tickets for my girlfriend and I to land in Hanoi, spend a few days, go through Laos, then Cambodia, then fly out of Ho Chi Minh. My girlfriend is Korean (don't know if that matters) and I'm wondering how people will treat her. I'm asking this question because I want to do everything in my power to make sure she isn't harmed in any way.

Is there anything I should know before we go on this trip that could help me out? In case she gets hurt or something like that, what kind of information should I be armed with? Any pointers?

I'll be back to read through the thread about all the attractions and so on, but I'm more concerned about safety right now.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

C-Euro posted:

Oh God I leave tomorrow :ohdear:
Are the outlets in Thailand the same shape as U.S. outlets? My girlfriend insists they are but I keep seeing adapters for Asian outlets.

Good luck! Hope you have a good time at your girlfriends place! Don't be afraid to try ALL the food and lao kao.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Infinotize posted:

It seems like everything I find on bike rental in Thailand is based out of Chiang Mai. It seems hard to believe there isn't much bike rental in Bangkok, although obviously I could be wrong.

It's probably because of all the nice, scenic mountain roads in Chiang Mai. Bangkok and surrounds is flat and boring. If you guys want to cruise around the south I'd probably recommend going somewhere like Phuket and rent bikes there. They have plenty of "big" bike rentals (sportbikes, cruisers) and other popular destinations such as Krabi won't be too far away. In terms of gear, don't expect them to have anything else but helmets, full-face ones if you're lucky.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

victoryismine posted:

I'm usually in the Japan thread but taking a trip to the SE Asia one for some vacay help. What is the best area to stay in Phuket as a single girl? So somewhere that is not sketchy, and where there are a lot of people around. Patong?

I think Kata or Karon beach should be a pretty good place to stay. I've never stayed there but it looks a lot nicer than Patong. Avoid Patong.

Ribsauce posted:

I left 8 hours later haha

You missed out, man.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'd really recommend the f/4 as a travel lens tbh, I had that one and the portability is a huge asset.

Yes, get the f/4. f/2.8 is way overkill.

C-Euro posted:

and you just blast your butthole with that (feels good man).

:D So how's your girlfriend family treating you? Are you in Pattaya?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A Thai goon must've made this

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Honestly I feel like Vientiane gets an unduly bad rap. There's at least 2-3 days worth of cool stuff to do (climb Patu Xai, the Army Museum, Golden Pavilion and other temples, the market, Buddha Park) and great dining by the river in the evenings.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Fiskenbob posted:

Ringo, your Jonny Olsen link from the OP is dead! Don't cheat newcomers to the thread of his awesome Farang hits!

I think Mr Olsen himself had it taken down to force people to buy his CD. Can't find anything else by him that is anywhere as good as that video. Feel free to recommend something though :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Fiskenbob posted:

Let me suggest Lum Sing Hip Hop then.

Haha, Mr Olsen never fails to amuse. Thanks! Updated op :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

MrFrosty posted:

Thank you. It sounds like just what I need. drat this indecisiveness.

I'm guessing you'll bring all your camera gear with you? Say hello if you stop by in Bangkok :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Steve., I don't know when you're leaving or how long you're going to stay but just remember that the tourist visa "starts" once it's issued (at least the ones I've had). There'll be a date on it that says "Enter before (date)". Just thought I'd let you know so you don't get a tourist visa months in advance which will be expired once you arrive :)

Spiderling: I would not worry about booking any domestic flights now. And unless you have a fetish for trains you might want to get on a bus or minivan to the border as trains are notoriously slow.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Steve. posted:

My understanding (admittedly just from reading various Thai embassy websites) was that the visa had to be used within x number of days from the date of issue, but if the bearer entered Thailand during that period then the 2 month visa period or whatever started from the entry date.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was that if you want to re-enter the country and get an additional 60 days, you must do that before the "Enter before X" date :)

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

caberham posted:

TL,DR Goon needs recommendations for nice scenic spots to take pictures.

I demand to use your 85 f1.2 when you arrive in Bangkok :colbert:

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Klogdor posted:

Added bonus : seems like I somehow bypassed getting a Malaysian visa, and I'm now illegaly in the country.. poo poo.

This happened to me too! Their borders/airports must really suck! When I went back the following day they tried to blame it all on me but good job on building an airport that people can walk right through, without having to go through immigration. The officer played tough guy and said "You think this is easy for me?" blah blah blah and in the end, all he did was writing "Enter date X" in my passport and let me go.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Any of you Bangkok vets (sheep, spog, pompous etc) know someone I can talk to regarding a Thai person threatening to sue me after a traffic accident? Can PM more details.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
How are you going to enjoy yourself dragging around a 20kg bag? :P I mean c'mon, you're on a holiday. Getting nice pics is just a bonus right?

I'd take:
50D
30/1.4
50/1.8
85/1.2 (for science) OR 70-200/4

...but since you're a massive goony goon I bet you will end up bringing ALL your gear anyway and be THAT GUY on the beach with a 20kg bag looking awkward ^__^

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

caberham (on the phone) posted:

I.. met.. a.. ~~*GiRL*~~!!!11

In SE Asia, even goons can meet girls ;-*

VV - Will report back after I see "her"...

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

*~tEaM jeAnZ~*

Btw Ringo, have you met up with caberham yet? Did he wind up sleeping at knifepoint in his hotel room with a half-Thai, half-Indian girl?

Haha what's the story behind that? Remember reading it a looong time ago but forgot the details. But no, no knives for caberham but it's quite possible he'll wake up with a sore rear end as he can not tell guys from chicks, at all! Don't know how many times I told him "that girl you just talked to..." :D

spf3million: Sure, can meet for a few beers after work. Let me know when you're coming.