Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

birds posted:

I'm considering relocating to Bangkok when my lease here in Southern California expires. I work remotely but on a set schedule that would have me work from essentially 10:30 PM to 6 AM in Thailand.

I don't think this would be a permanent move for myself, just maybe for 6 months to a year but does anyone here work a remote work schedule like that in Southeast Asia? And how do you like it?

The condo we have is owned by my grandparents and as such I wouldn't have to pay any rent, just other living expenses so it's looking super appealing right now.

Have you considered visa issues? Do you need the Special Tourist Visa? Are normal Tourist Visas being given out already? Will they let you in as an American? Do you have a copy of the condo deed prepared?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
I´m in Chiang Mai atm.
No promises, but I´ll try to remember it and keep my eyes open when I visit the Sunday tourist market. :)

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

goodness posted:

New to the thread, looking in regards to medical tourism for dental. Family member needs a tooth implant and I heard it can be cheaper to go overseas from the US to get one. For reference, current quote is north of $3000 USD here in the US.

Don’t you have to visit the dentist at least twice to attach the implantation? First time to attach the root, the some months later, the crown?
Will it still be worth it if you have to fly out twice?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Yossarian-22 posted:

What should I do if I want a scooter (in Chiang Mai) but have never driven one in my life/don't have a license? I'm thinking of taking lessons or at least just getting help riding one from one of my co-workers. I figure I'll buy one and just drive around my non-busy neighborhood at first.

Any recommendations for scooters for a nooblet like me who would rather be ultra safe than go top speed?

Do you already have a driving licence? Car, not a motorcycle one. There is a big difference between having some experience with driving around in traffic and zero.

In Chiang Mai, the best and quickest way to learn would be the two day course Honda Safety Driving Center offers. Costs 2000 baht and you spend two days, 6 hours per day riding and practicing on your bike in their closed training field.
By the end of it, you will feel completely confident riding your scooter/motorcycle.
Teachers and training contents are good, I even went back there and took several other courses.
I did it the course this February and in the next few months rode around 5-6k in the mountains there. Now I own a motorcycle and ride daily 🙂

Honda​driving​school doesn't cover riding in traffic or local driving laws. They do offer the driving licence course, but you have to ask for it. I think it is 2 or 3 days. The actual driving licence test is ridiculously easy(written part my take some tries though)

Standard fine for driving without a licence is 500 baht for farangs, 200 baht for locals. Sometimes there are police checkpoints on the road when driving.

If you have a travel medical insurance, they probably won't cover you when you get into a accident and don't have a legal way to drive (which is either Thai driving licence or driving licence for motorcycles/scooters from your home AND an international drivers permit).
Some bike rental places have their own insurance, so when you get into a accident on their bike, some costs are covered.

If you want an actual driving school, then
Changphuak Driving School was really-really good. Can totally reccommend them.
Changphuak Driving School Chiang Mai - Driving Training Center White Elephant Gate
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ttYjeYHpt94CjQrw5

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

webmeister posted:

I haven't checked, but I think more international flights to Cambodia go to Siem Reap instead of PP, simply because of the volumes of tourists flocking there. I've been to Cambodia 4-5 times now and I don't think I've ever flown into PP, though I'm sure you can!

I took a flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap. During the landing when looking outside the window, I thought that huh, Siem Reap is a much bigger city than I expected.
After the landing, I saw the signs, checked my GPS, and we were in Phnom Penh instead of Siem Reap! The pilot gave a long monologue, but it was only in cambodian, so I didn't understand anything. Did we fly into the wrong loving city? I mean this is cambodia, its totally believable.
But after a while, half the people got up and left the plane, and new people came on board immediately afterwards. And then we took off and flew to Siem Reap.
So if you pick your flight well, you can fly into Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Maybe even with same flight.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Cynic Jester posted:

I'll be flying into BKK in January and then heading on to Krabi from DMK the next morning. Is Bangkok the usual SEA deal of walking out of the airport area to get a cab at not ripoff prices? Can i pick up a local prepaid sim with decent data at the airport or do i need to hit up a particular store?

Also, does Thailand still have that weird thing where its way cheaper to withdraw in a bank via debit withdrawals than it is using an ATM? I remember it being a thing that all the backpackers complained about in Manila when i lived there.

I'll be spending most of my vacation on Koh Lanta to sit on the beach and chill, anyone know of any must see spots or experiences I should hit while I'm there?

Instead of a taxi, you can go to the basement level of the airport and take a train to the city for 50 baht.
All Thai ATMs add 220 THB fee if you are using a foreign card for withdrawal. I just take out the maximum 30k baht once and pay it. Only other options for cash is to either get a Thai bank account or to take enough cash with you when coming, and change it(you will probably get a better rate if you bring dollars/euros with you and exchange them into baht in SuperRich than taking money out of the ATMs.
You can get prepaid and tourist SIMs in the airport, or just walk into any AIS/dtac/True​stores and they will set it up for you.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

webmeister posted:

1. Visa Exemption https://thaiembdc.org/visaexemption/
As an American you can just turn up and be granted a 30-day tourist visa (15 days if you're arriving overland). You can't extend this, and you can only do it twice per year.

Visa exemption gives you 30 days stamp on arrival, plus you can extend it for another 30 days by visiting immigration and spending half of your day waiting in lines and paying 1900 baht.
Temorarily, it was 45+30 days over the winter, to stimulate tourism, but that campaign just ended and we are back to 30+30 days.

Overland arrival will also give you 30 days, the 15 day limit was some years ago. But you are limited to maximum of two 30 day visa exemption overland entries in a year.
No such limit exists for arrivals by plane. So technically you can border bounce every two months indefinitely, until immigration gets tired of you.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Well, thats one way to stage a coup, and with better PR too, don't even have to bring out any tanks.
So whats next, weekly spamming of Pita? No prime minister until senate goes away? Push PM position into the hands of a military candidate and pretend everything is okay?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Most medium-bigger stores accept cards. 7-eleven too(200 baht minimum).
Street stalls and likes take QR payments and cash.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Strong Sauce posted:

Has anyone used Wise to take money out from Thai ATMs? I am going back in January and would like to set that up beforehand.

Works fine everywhere, for paying and ATM withdrawals. Just note that all Thai ATMs have a 220 baht fee for cash withdrawals when using a foreign bank card.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just make sure it's an actual credit card and not just a debit card with a Visa logo on it. My cards do not work at 7-11 for that reason and it is super frustrating.

A lot of smaller merchants will also have a QR code option, but largely these only work with Thai bank accounts.

My Transferwise card is debit with Visa and works fine everywhere. So I guess it depends on a card. But when travelling, you should have two different bank cards with you anyway, one Visa and the other Mastercard.

QR is accepted absolutely everywhere, even more than cash.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 14, 2023

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Strong Sauce posted:

hrm.. so is there a point in using a wise card for trips vs if you're staying abroad? are the fees that much less on the american side of things? meaning is wise cheaper than say, a chase or BoA debit card?

No idea about the american products. Charles Schwab card should refund you the various ATM fees but I have no idea about the currency conversion rate it uses.

The Thai ATM fee is set by Thai banks, not by Wise. Right now I am in Malaysia and there is no such fee here.
I mostly use my Wise card for paying and take out cash only when really needed.
Wise does have some fees for cash withdrawals, guess they have to make money somehow. First $250 per month​ is​ free, after that you pay 1,75%.

But for me, Wise card is among my top 3 best items I have with me.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've got absolutely no idea what this is meant to imply, I'm afraid! Sex? Drugs? Rock 'n' roll?

QR payments.
Don’t worry about thailand too much. You can pay with card in most places without any issues. Especially in locations you go to as a tourist. But have some cash with you, road side stalls, small restaurants, etc might not have the payment machines.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Vegetable posted:

They legalized weed to distract from all the political chicanery going on. Another bullshit lese majeste case just got prosecuted. Six years imprisonment for an opposition politician.

LOL, no. TIT. Complete legalisation of weed wasn't something that was planned at all. Just incompetence and fuckup when passing laws.

Vegetable posted:

Also you should absolutely tip your masseurs. I feel embarrassed at the idea of having someone touch your gross body for an hour and not giving them a little something for it.

Is everything okay there, buddy?

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 15, 2023

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Some places have a smoking lounge upstairs/next to it.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Both Grab and Bolt accept credit cards and Wise cards in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Grab is more popular and larger, Bolt is cheaper (since they are trying to increase its market share). In the last 2 years I think I used taxi only one time.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

If you're on the fence about going to Vietnam because obtaining the visa is a PITA compared to the neighboring countries- Do it. it's worth it.

E-visa takes around 10 minutes and costs $25. They even have a 90 day one now. Just remember to apply at least 2 weeks before your arrival date.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Waltzing Along posted:

So is Thailand rebannning weed?

Details are unknown yet, TIT after all. But its highly likely that usage will change from recreational to medical. Recriminilization is incredibly unlikely.
Weed was never meant to be legalized for recreational use. Thai parlament passed a law decriminalising weed, but didn't pass the medical marijuana law, leading to the current full legalisation :allears:

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
I have been asked twice to show some money when flying to Thailand. In both cases it was the airline employees who were asking and I didn't have a flight out of thailand booked (which is also one of the legal requirements).
Its okay. The airport will have ATMs if you feel like you really need cash.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Strong Sauce posted:

i sometimes forget how little some people get by with in bangkok. i saw a video the other day where a girl working as a barista in bangkok was struggling to eat even at the stalls because of the inflated price of the stalls in bangkok vs the ones in her hometown.

there definitely seems like a two worlds kinda situation in thailand and since both worlds are somewhat cheap for me to be in it's kinda hard to see it if you don't think about it too much. eating at the malls to me seems pretty cheap but i'm guessing you have to earn a decent amount to go and sit down at those restaurants. otherwise its basically a lot of foreigners

I saw that video too, and that girl wasn't skipping meals because plate of chicken costs 50 baht in Bangkok vs 25 in Isaan.
She was skipping meals so she would have enough money to pay back the mums bike loan (3000/month), plus sending her an additional 2-3000 cash every month.
If she didn't have to give her mum 6000 baht every month, she could afford plenty of mookatas with her friends.

Strong Sauce posted:

anyways, i'm leaving thailand in a day or two. someone let me know if its sustainable such that one can stay here indefinitely? asking for a friend.

Best​option would be either to get a remote job in the US/Europe or get some clients from there and run a small service business while living in Thailand.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Batu caves is okay, nothing that impressive. I liked the monkey cave next to it more. The aquarium in KL was nice, and if weather is okay then the bird park at the center is a nice visit. Its right next to the national and islamic museum.