Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I'm most likely going to be taking an extremely last minute trip to Kuala Lumpur with a friend of mine later this month. I've looked a bit through wiki travel/lonely planet poo poo so I have a basic idea of some of the bigger sites to see, but for people that have been there/live there, what are some must see/do things in the city? We're also willing to venture outside the city a bit as well, but we only have a week there.

edit: any big markets (not shopping malls)? i always love walking around those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I can't be one to talk though, I am in the same situation where I don't have much vacation time and I want to go to all these far off places...

The vacation has to be on the terms you can set. It would be fantastic if we could all have 4 months off to travel through southeast asia (and props to the people who can/are adventurous enough to) but sometimes we have jobs. Sometimes they are jobs that we like that we couldn't possibly get more than a week or two off, or aren't willing to quit to take a few months off. I went to thailand for 8 days a couple weeks ago. Was it long enough? No, but I had to be back at work on monday. I still had a blast, though and I'm off to Malaysia for a week on friday. Unfortunately I couldnt get the vacation in a giant block, but that's life. When I was in Thailand I had a ton of people scoff at my one week trip, telling me I wasn't seeing the true Thailand cause I wasn't backpacking for a month. Maybe in a way they are right, but you know what? gently caress them. It's YOUR vacation. Take the opportunities you are given and enjoy the hell out of it, no matter how long or short they may be. The way I look at it is: would you rather go somewhere and say "it just wasn't long enough" or not go at all?

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
The cheapest way I've found to drink in Singapore was cheap 7-11 wine. It's still expensive as gently caress but it's got higher alcohol content than beer at least. Or ideally bring in a bottle of duty free booze, but thats not really an option if you're traveling by land.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Steve. posted:

Visit Khao Sok, and stay overnight on a raft house.

Khao Sok is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.

I'm on Koh Tao now. Make sure to book accommodation before arriving, there are hardly any rooms available now and there were a lot of desperate looking people wandering around from guest house to hotel to hostel to dive resort at 6pm today, looking for a place to stay. It's been going on for the past couple of weeks, and doesn't look like ending. We signed up 26 open water divers today, but only had 3 rooms available...

... I'm considering sub-leasing floor space in my apartment :v:

thanks for this, ill be headed there in about a week and a half. i have accomodations booked for my dive resort ting but i was planning on just showing up a day or two early and chilling beforehand and just stumbling upon a place to stay. ill make sure to book ahead (or if theres still nothing i just wont show up early)

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

dancehall posted:

I'm at Crystal, saw the turtle at Twins. I'm starting AOW in about 5 minutes, woop woop

nice, I'll be at Crystal on the 18th for open water. tis the season i guess

also i am completely new to this so i will be the flailing around guy

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

BigSuave posted:

Duralict, thanks for the advice. Through travelocity (via Tripeedo) I ended up finding a Korean Air ticket with 1-year validity for $900 and it only costs $100 to change so I'll still be well ahead of the $1300 fare, not to mention the $1800 one. Plus their economy has power on this flight and the seats are pretty nice and well spaced out so I think I'm going to jump on this.

E: Booked. And oh man are my seats on the way there crappy. That will teach me to book a week in advance. Anyway, I arrive in Bangkok at 1AM on Sat the 12th so if anyone wants to get a beer or something shoot me a pm or post in this thread and I'll try to keep my eye out. PM would be better though, you cheap bastards.

Korean Air is ridiculously nice, you'll be fine even with bad seats.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Haraksha posted:

It was OK.

I was kinda disappointed in Ko Tao, though. It was advertised as really off the beaten path, but it was mostly just an inconvenient place to see a lot of hippies. I felt more like I was in Europe than in Thailand.

I'd never really heard it described as off the beaten path, just as a great scuba/snorkeling destination. I mean yea it's more lowkey than Koh Phangan (haad rin anyways) and less touristy than Samui but I only stayed as long as it took to finish my scuba course. I would have been bored stiff otherwise.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Schatten posted:

Thank you! Looks like that's one of my destinations in a few weeks!

How easy is it to get there from Phuket?

It'll just be a longtail boat ride away, maybe 30 minutes? I went there from Krabi and it didn't take long.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
hm maybe thats why the ticket to KL that I bought a week ago was so cheap

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
For Malaysia I'd highly, highly recommend the perhentian islands, specifically the small island perhntian kecil. I spent a week there last month and loved it. It's tiny but super chill, and it's primarily a dive spot. Small party scene at night but loads of fun. It reminded me of a tiny version of koh Tao October is the end of the season though, so you'd have to go before the end of Oct. And when I say end of season I mean it's pretty much vacated and there's like no drinking water til February.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
I asked in the tattoo thread too but can anyone recommend a good tattoo shop I'm Bangkok? My buddy is really keen on getting one while we are traveling here but I want to make sure it's done in a good shop

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Ringo R posted:

Question for you Burma guys, how did you get the visa? I'm currently in Bangkok and just quickly googled it. Some say it takes hours of early morning queuing while others says it's rather painless.

I just did the visa stuff yesterday morning in Bangkok. You just go to the Burmese/Myanmar whatever embassy and there is a visa department right next to the front gate. They process visas from 8:30 in the morning until like 1130 or noon i think. Then after lunch they don't accept visa applications, only processed visa returns. I rocked in at 10 AM or so and was out in like half an hour or so. It really wasn't so bad. They said I can pick up my passport with the visa in it on Monday after 3 PM. It cost 810 baht (I'm American, I don't know if the price differs by nationality.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Burma question, I'm getting conflicting things on the exchange rate at the moment from google. Can anyone give me an approximate exchange rate to the US dollar? Also how long is long enough to hit most of the big 4? Week and a half, 2 weeks? and how much should I bring for that amount of time?

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Off to Myanmar in a few hours. I'll be there a week and a half. Dunno how much internet activity I'll be getting there but I'll try to post about it when I get back to BKK.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Think it will be any trouble catching a bus to Siem Reap due to the floods? I'm flying into BKK on the 28th from Myanmar and need to get to Cambodia next.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
What's the point in tubing if you don't get raucously drunk and do dangerous fun stuff that's why you go and it rules. Just go with friends and keep an eye on each other. If that doesnt sound fun then you probably shouldn't go, but thankfully there are good alt activities like climbing and kayaking.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
A friend and I are heading to Saigon tomorrow to buy motorcycles for a month long ride up to hanoi. I've read through the awesome guide posted early on in the thread, but does anyone know a good way to find bikes for sale? Is there a Craigslist equivalent or are there bikes for sale posted in guest houses?

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Gonna be in Hoi An soon, suggestions for a tailor to make a suit for me? Also anyone know if shops can make leather jackets there as well?

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
Weird question, anyone know what channel ( if any) shows UFC fights in Bangkok ? Or if any bars near khaosan road show them? There's a fight this weekend I'd like to catch .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

imnotinsane posted:

Gulliver's always had some sport on when I was there. If you are in khaosan now you could ask them. It's been a while since I have been in Bangkok so I don't really remember anywhere else.

Edit. Googling UFC in thailand shows that this bar has shown live events in the past so maybe they will be showing this one?

HOME RUN BAR & GRILL BANGKOK, SUKHUMVIT SOI 31

thanks for the info, i'll check them out.