Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

ziebarf posted:

I was pretty freaked out about this issue before I left. After two weeks on doxy, which made me incredibly ill and lobster-face, I decided to stop. So far I have been to many remote locations in Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam and have been A-Ok. Many times I even forgot to wear my insect repelent. But anyways, you should be fine if you take even the smallest precautions.

:siren: Don't forget your mosquito repellent. :siren:

Southbound from Laos to Malaysia, we stopped on Koh Phi Phi in Thailand in late 2008, and I picked up dengue fever from there. Also known as breakbone fever or bonecrusher disease because of the intense pain it can cause. Also known as a possibly fatal disease with no vaccine or treatment. Thankfully, my symptoms were very, very mild, I just had a (very) high fever.

After a freezing bus ride to Kuala Lumpur from the border I thought I just had picked up a cold, but after five days I decided to go to a hospital. Spent three nights there under observation and hooked to an IV with fluids, and was released with a €600 bill. Went for another check-up a few days later, for about €150. The hospital was recommended by the embassy, and turns out it was a new hospital built by the Petronas oil company in 2007, and I got a private room more luxurious than anything I had seen during the entire trip.

Of course travel insurance covers the bills, but even after getting out of the hospital, it took me about a week to feel strong enough to see the sights in just Kuala Lumpur. We switched our flight for an earlier one (and got caught up in the riots at the Bangkok airport for three days, another story), so in total I lost about three weeks which I would've originally spent on KL and then Indonesia's Sumatra. The best part is that my stomach handled the entire three month trip like it was nothing.

While statistically it's a tiny, miniscule chance a tourist will get the fever, insect repellent is a small price to pay.

Still have Vietnam and Cambodia to see someday.

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Ironically enough, I never really noticed the mosquitoes while I was there, or their bites. Didn't really itch, either.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Ringo R posted:

Pahonyotin rd, March 15 2010.

Here's some yellow shirts to balance it out.

November 2008, from the Suvarnabhumi airport. Spent three days there, surrounded by protesters.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The start of November we're flying to Singapore. We have no real interest staying in the city, so are there any interesting beach destinations close by? Our requirements are that it has to be fairly close (half a day of travel), and offer scuba diving places. Quieter budgety place also a plus.

Indonesia has the Riau islands very close to Singapore, any diving opportunities there in November? My friend hasn't done diving ever, and I've only done it once, so nothing too advanced. Malaysia's east coast also apparently has some islands available, though those seem to be mostly for resort types.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 15, 2012

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
After 6 years, I'm going back to Bangkok over the Christmas season. I really want to spend the New Year's in Bangkok, but I have about 10 days after, and I'd like to visit a really quiet place. No need for activities or sightseeing, I'll settle for super basic accommodation, no electricity, though I guess eating would be nice. Waterfront a big bonus. Reachable within a day from Bangkok would be nice, too. In 2008 I was in Southern Laos, which fit the bill perfectly, but I have no idea how much the place has changed since then.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Last time I was in Thailand I was on malaria pills, but I got dengue fever instead, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I have a fever and diarrhea, so I'm spending my NYE on the loo in the hotel. :toot: Travelled 26 hours to Bangkok just for this.