Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I liked Penang a lot even though it was the hottest place on Earth. Five days chilling out there wouldn't be a bad choice. Food, beaches, old architecture.

Geez I've been there 3 times and it didn't even cross my mind. Of course, that's a really good idea.

Also, this is pretty funny (though not if you live in NST)...
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459141534

"There is nothing on there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

caberham posted:

Man walked one subway station and I'm about to pass out from the heat. I need a parasol. Or shade

How long are you in Singapore for??

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

caberham posted:

Only gripe about changi is the lack of transportation after midnight. At first i was angry that there's no express train to the city but being 15 km away who the gently caress cares

But hey plaza premium lounge stocks root beer!

Yeah, but Singapore is so small and taxis so cheap that you can get a cab to the main areas for ~20sgd.

I take more taxis than I should here.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
My mom and cousin are coming to visit in June. I know it'll be the rainy season, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Does anyone have any good hotel recommendations for Siem Reap and Penang? I'd like to spend $60-$80 per night ideally, but a little more for a much nicer place would be fine too.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions. They're much more meaningful to me than trying to sift through all those websites and ratings.
On top of that, I'm so used to traveling more frugally and less comfortably than my mother is so sometimes it's hard to change the way I look at what I want to book.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1109581/hm-the-king-passes-away

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

caberham posted:

Hey singapore goons, I'm coming over this weekend!

Who is up to meet up and eat some food? Im leaving late sunday night

Hey I'll be available Saturday evening, but I can't stay too late - gotta wake up early on Sunday. I'll PM you (don't have your number anymore)

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

And hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to meet some Bangkok goons there.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

What kind of budget are you on? You can almost definitely find a place to stay close to where you want to be for less than 10k a month, but if you have the money then why not pay more I guess.

I guess I wouldn't mind going up to 20,000 baht for a month if the location was good, had a pool and gym, etc. It would be a lot easier if places would respond to my emails.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

kru posted:

Singapore goons out own Bangkok goons day in, day out, sorry friend

Haha, you're the only Singapore goon I've met, but you make a good case

Ganguro King posted:

It's a lot to sort through, but you can give this site a try:
https://www.prakard.com/viewforum.php?f=993

Thanks for that! I'll take my time looking through that. I appreciate the help.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Some friends and I want to do some KTV in Bangkok this weekend, but I have a feeling that most places will be pretty shady. Can anyone recommend a good honest KTV place that'll serve you beer and has a good selection of English music? Preferably someplace around Silom or another central area. I'd really like to not get ripped off.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

What you want is Woodball. They have a bunch of locations around Bangkok, have excellent English music, and private rooms in addition to the common room. There's nothing shady about it.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. We'll definitely check it out this weekend.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Anyone going to be in Hoi An for a few days? Or can recommend a nice, social place to stay that's not too crazy?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I have 12 days off in March/April and tickets from HK are getting really expensive. I'm leaning towards Sumatra (Lake Toba, volcanoes, orangutans, maybe Banda Aceh?) or somewhere in Vietnam (I was in Hanoi and Hoi An in October but just for 8 days). Any recommendations, particularly regarding Sumatra? I don't mean to sound jaded or "over it", but after 5+ years living in SE Asia I'm running out of ideas and even though I've never been to China, I don't feel like I'm really up for it, especially traveling by myself.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

caberham posted:

Are you based in hk?
If you are sick of SEA there’s always japan and Korea and of course China.

Really kickass Uighur food in Shenzhen and Tibetan food in Chengdu

Yeah man I'm still here in HK. :) Trying to keep warm these days though. Definitely doesn't get this cold in Singapore or southern Thailand...

I'm not really sick of SEA, just trying to think of some places I haven't really been to yet. Japan and Korea would be fun but the flights are expensive now and also I'm a baby and don't like cold weather. China also sounds intimidating to me and I want a place I can relax and have fun.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Scylo posted:

Banda Aceh is an okay place. You could probably see the interesting stuff in the city centre in a day and then head to Weh island and relax on the beach for a few days. I didn't make it to the island, just stayed in the city center for 2 nights and by the end of it I felt I'd seen everything. People were very friendly too.

Lake Toba's really nice even though something about it feels like a place that's spent the last 20 years just waiting to become popular.

Relaxing on a beach sounds fantastic. Is it a long trip from Banda aceh to lake Toba? Ideally I'd stop off to see the orangutans at that national Park on the way. I'm thinking I should fly into Banda Aceh and out of Medan.

caberham posted:

Well dude hit me up some time we can go to shenzhen with other hk gooons

I'd love to do that. Though as an American I need to figure out my visa situation for China.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 31, 2018

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Going back to Thailand for 11 days next week for a wedding and some fun but all I can think about is the food. I already have my menu planned out for my day in Surat, but the rest of the time I'll be on Koh Tao and Koh Lanta. I've been to those islands before but it was years ago and I'll be damned if I remember any good Thai food there. When I used to live in Surat I would view my trips to the islands as the best opportunities for eating the Western food that I missed but now I just want to eat Thai food.
Any good food recommendations for Koh Lanta? Especially if there are any of those vegan restaurants with the yellow signs that close at 2pm...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

That does look about right based on a GIS of your hieroglyphics there!
I just don't know anything about Lanta, but the one thing I do know is that in any smaller, but densely touristed city in Thailand, the number one recommendation on TripAdvisor, if it exists, will be the farang-friendly vegetarian or vegan restaurant, heh. In non-tourist cities it's always just Swensen's or something lolol.

Ha, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Well, not avoid, but I just want some drat good Thai food. I'm sure I'll find some just driving around. I'm gonna load up on some jok and hopefully find some good massaman curry (which is usually a crapshoot).
I just mainly love those Thai vegan 'jey' places because they're so good and out of the 20 or so I've been to around the country, I've never had a bad meal at one of them.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So apparently the third time was the charm for Koh Lanta. My first two times there I didn't really care about it but I really enjoyed it this time despite all the Swedish people.

If anyone's finds themselves in Koh Lanta, be sure to check out The Table. It's a Swedish guy and his Thai wife who run a restaurant just back from the main road near Saladan. The restaurant is basically their house and there's a long table on their porch that seats 12. You call them in the morning and tell them you want to come to their (only) seating and they'll cook a nice big Thai dinner for everyone. You don't choose what you want, and it's mostly seafood. However if you go on Friday they have 3 things you can order and you can show up whenever, which is what we did. It sounds way more pretentious (and expensive) than it actually is and the food and company were wonderful. Totally recommend that place.

Also, any thoughts on Phu Quoc island for a week at the beginning of April?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Boola posted:

Phu Quoc was my least favorite part of Vietnam personally.

They closed off a lot of the beautiful public beaches in the north part of the island in the past year to build mega mega resorts.

Was motorbiking around the island and kept coming to roads closed off with armed guards turning me back over and over. Got old.

But I've heard of other people loving it there so take that for what it's worth. I also got bad food poisoning there so that didn't help.

I was afraid of that... Is there anywhere else in southern Vietnam that might be a good beach destination to rival Thailand? Maybe with diving too?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Noticed the new thread title....So what's wrong with Swedish people?

Oh Jesus... That was totally a joke. I just thought it was funny that there were so many Swedes on Koh Lanta.

Bardeh posted:

Give me Swedes over Russians or Chinese any day of the week.

Also, what is it with Israelis? I didn't encounter many, but every time I did they were really rude, arrogant, and just generally unpleasant people.

This too..

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Point 1

A bad tailored suit is better than a great off the rack suit

Point 2

Too many people just get a suit. It's better to get like a bunch of shirts and no suit than two suits. A tailored shirt is so much better than anything off the rack.

Any time I go through SEA I get like ten shirts made. Every kind of white cotton they got in there. A few others.

I could not agree more. I'm not super fashionable (though I'm getting slightly moreso in my old age), but the difference between tailored clothes and off-the-rack clothes is night and day. I spent a bunch of money and got clothes made in Hoi An, and not only do they feel a lot better on my body, but people will notice the difference. And it will do wonders for your confidence. It's not as cheap as you might think, but if you're going to spend $30-$50 on a shirt anyway, it's better to get a tailored one at a good quality place somewhere in Asia than from a store back home.

I only got one suit made, but I didn't own one and I didn't need any more than that. For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

TheEye posted:

The general plan right now is to go to Bangkok (obviously), Chiang Mai, and Surat Thani, and spend roughly 3.5 days in each, plus a day trip to Ayutthaya. Seem reasonable? She read that, in terms of the beach areas in the south, the east coast is better to visit during the rainy season - is that accurate?

You're going to spend 3-4 days in Surat Thani? Or just passing through to go to the islands?

I love Surat - I lived there before - but I've never heard of someone actually visiting there.

If you do plan on being in that area, there are a few cool things to do there, particularly visiting the Muslim weaving village and the temples in Chaiya, the Dat Fa waterfalls at Tai Rom Yen national park, the beaches at Khanom (though you said you're not really into beaches), and of course the Ratchaprapha reservoir and dam at Khao Sok National Park.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 8, 2018