Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

flammable is a wild understatement. nitrocellulose practically detonates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

A Japanese urban legend (日本の都市伝説, Nihon no toshi densetsu) is a story in Japanese folklore which is circulated as true. These urban legends are characterized by originating in or being popularized throughout the country of Japan.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

theflyingexecutive posted:

flammable is a wild understatement. nitrocellulose practically detonates
That depends on just how nitrated the cellulose is. Cellulose trinitrate was used for rocket and gun propellants, and is still used for smokeless gunpowder. On the other hand, mononitrate was also one of the first plastics as "Celluloid", and is currently used to make ping pong balls. In conclusion, nitrocellulose is a land of contrast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
celluloid is still extremely flammable c.f. the climax of inglourious basterds

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

isnt it like old film specifically thats super flammable, cause of chemistry or something

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cellulose nitrate don't gently caress around

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ping pong balls don't explode but they do burn quite spectacularly and leave very little ash

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

ping pong balls don't explode but they do burn quite spectacularly and leave very little ash

im gonna try this (dont worry im renting)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

isnt it like old film specifically thats super flammable, cause of chemistry or something

yeah cellulose-based films (particularly early ones when quality control wasn't the best) have a habit of bursting into flames at the slightest provocation. until a few years ago they were specifically banned on the london undergound after a couple of incidents in the early days of cinema. they've now dropped that specific ban for a much more boring "you can't bring dangerous things into tiny train world".

also banned on the london underground - making a knowingly false statement about the status of the service, wearing clothes likely to damage the trains or stations, and gambling on the arrival of trains.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

gambling on the arrival of trains.

the one part of life where trainspotters have a distinct advantage and it's taken away

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Assuming standard scoring, the optimal area to aim for on the dart board in order to maximize the player's score varies significantly based on the player's skill. The skilled player should aim for the centre of the T20, and as the player's skill decreases, their aim moves slightly up and to the left of the T20. At σ = 16.4 mm the best place to aim jumps to the T19. As the player's skill decreases further, the best place to aim curls into the centre of the board, stopping a bit lower than and to the left of the bullseye at σ = 100.[29]

Where σ may refer to the standard deviation for a specific population: List of darts players.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*homestar voice* vulcanized

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

*homestar voice* vulcanized

same, but strong bad voice

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clunch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
British duvets are sold in steps of 1.5 tog from 4.5 tog (summer) to 16.5 tog (extra-warm). The stated values are minimum, actual values may be up to 3 tog higher. These tog values assume that there is no duvet cover added that can trap air.

Lightweight summer duvet: 3.0 - 4.5 tog
Spring/Autumn weight duvet: 7.5 - 10.5 tog
Winter weight duvet: 12.0 - 13.5 tog

A few manufacturers have marketed combined duvet sets consisting of two duvets; one of approximately 4.5 tog and one of approximately 9.0 tog. These can be used individually as summer (4.5 tog) and spring/autumn (9.0 tog). When joined together using press studs around the edges, or Velcro strips across each of the corners, they become a 13.5 tog winter duvet and as such can be made to suit all seasons.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Eh, that's not a thing elsewhere in the world? poo poo

How do you buy the right duvet if you don't know about togs?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Tog is the most made up word I've ever heard in my life. Y'all have to be pulling my leg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"tog" sounds like some kind of british racist term. for people from togo, maybe

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am tog, of the planet flarg

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Spaced God posted:

Tog is the most made up word I've ever heard in my life.

all words are made up hth

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

i have two identical duvets that are on my bed year round

if its too hot i use a sheet or nothing

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Amphigory posted:

i use the summer one all year long because in winter i keep windows closed and heating on

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

prefect posted:

"tog" sounds like some kind of british racist term. for people from togo, maybe

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

OK, but if you heavily poo poo the bed and had to replace the duvet, how would you know to get the right one?

Tog is a loving great and useful measurement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how often do you heavily poo poo the bed

seriously though if you live in a place where you're in climate control most of the time your blanket doesn't need to be precisely to spec because you control the room temperature directly

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

What's the fill power to tog conversion rate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

OK, but if you heavily poo poo the bed and had to replace the duvet, how would you know to get the right one?

Tog is a loving great and useful measurement

go to duvet store and get the first one I see

also we don't use climate control in Denmark unless you count windows and radiators

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"heaters aren't climate control" lol ok

edit: equal lol at the very american solution of "who cares about getting the proper blanket, just crank the thermostat"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

We have our eiderdown duvet on our bed basically all year and it's always comfortable.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
this is some good poo poo :munch:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

You're all loving animals

I would never have guessed tog would be the hill I'd die on

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Amphigory posted:

I would never have guessed tog would be the hill I'd die on

What's the ideal tog for coffin lining

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

British duvets are sold in steps of 1.5 tog from 4.5 tog (summer) to 16.5 tog (extra-warm). The stated values are minimum, actual values may be up to 3 tog higher. These tog values assume that there is no duvet cover added that can trap air.

Lightweight summer duvet: 3.0 - 4.5 tog
Spring/Autumn weight duvet: 7.5 - 10.5 tog
Winter weight duvet: 12.0 - 13.5 tog

A few manufacturers have marketed combined duvet sets consisting of two duvets; one of approximately 4.5 tog and one of approximately 9.0 tog. These can be used individually as summer (4.5 tog) and spring/autumn (9.0 tog). When joined together using press studs around the edges, or Velcro strips across each of the corners, they become a 13.5 tog winter duvet and as such can be made to suit all seasons.

what the gently caress

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Amphigory posted:

you must be new here

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Trivial Pursuit is a board game from Canada

:monocle:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i am torg. i take care of master's warmth while he is asleep

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The Shirley Institute in Manchester, England developed the tog as an easy-to-follow alternative to the SI unit of m2K/W.[1] The name comes from the informal word togs for 'clothing', which itself was probably derived from the word toga, a Roman garment.

The basic unit of insulation coefficient is the RSI, (1 m2K/W). 1 tog = 0.1 RSI. There is also a US clothing unit, the clo, equivalent to 0.155 RSI or 1.55 tog, described in ASTM D-1518.

Not sure which is worse, the clo or the tog.

Edit: Also,

quote:

Launched in the 1940s by the Shirley Institute, the Shirley Togmeter[2] is the standard apparatus for rating thermal resistance of textiles, commonly known as the Tog Test.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Carbon dioxide posted:

Not sure which is worse, the clo or the tog.

clo roll call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

tog

ok.

listen here britain, u did ur brexit bullshit so please go away w/ ur shenanigans