Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how old is rotor for real

(this is not a joke, i'm very serious about this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

ottawa isnt a small town

hey somebody figured it out :hf: <-- there is a hf there but you can't see it

nah i didn't actually grow up in ottawa, but when you grow up in carleton place you don't really talk about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did someone do that already

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

YF-23 posted:

[dubious – discuss]

no dont

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was looking this up and while this isn't really worthless i did think it was kind of funny

quote:

The Keystone Cops were incompetent fictional policemen, featured in silent film comedies in the early 20th century.

hey guys. there is a difference between "incompetent fictional policemen" and "fictional incompetent policemen" mkay

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"hey look at these funny leaves. mm what should i do with them? guess i could eat em or something. no, i know! i'll roll them up in a little paper tube, stick that in my mouth and light it on fire. yeaaaaaaaaah"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

The victim laughs even if he or she finds the experience unpleasant because the laughter is an innate reflex rather than social conditioning.

:monocle:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh that just sounds like they c/p'd it from the marketing page or something. pretty common

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

economics likes to think it's super complicated and advanced and stuff but it really isn't. so much of it breaks down to stupid common sense stuff like "when you do one thing, you may be giving up the opportunity to do another thing!" or "driving to work every day to make money means you need to buy more tires, reducing how much money you get overall!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goatse is not free and open source, some wikipedian would have to recreate it

and oddly, that idea revolts me all over again. goatse is just "oh hello old friend" but almost the exact same photo done by someone else? that's some uncanny valley oh gently caress no kind of thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i thought about it, and you're right. a fake goatse would be disgusting all over again. but if it became some internet trend like planking and fauxtse pics became commonplace i think it would be boring again pretty quick

if we actually reach a point where goatse is the new planking and people are regularly doing it and posting on facebook and so on, can someone please just put me in a box and shoot me in the general direction of another planet, tia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah, just that if pulling your anus open and taking pictures of it for public viewing ever becomes a popular pastime, total collapse of human civilization can't be much further off so i might as well get a head start on the next place

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is that the stuff they call "velveeta"? i've never seen it in person

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

100% honest to god truth this popped up exactly where you see it. "black and white cat" is blowing my mind right now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

BAN DragonflySixtyseven "ruining wikipedia"

i went to the leper's colony to see if this was true and what the hell is with all these stolen credit cards? are they all the same person?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vikipaédia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why the hell would you need specific terms for modern technology in a dead language

my supervisor in grad school was from ireland and loved to make fun of all the gaelic technology terms. they have this requirement there that all government publications be available in gaelic but of course there is no gaelic word for, eg. "internet" so they invented some special word with proper gaelic orthography that no one has ever heard of. meanwhile everyone who actually speaks the language uses a portmanteau of the form "t'ainternet". apparently this makes irish people talking about technology sound more like english speakers making fun of irishmen, which she thought was hilarious

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

speaking of languages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Armond_Speers#d.27Armond_Speers

quote:

Speers is known for having undertaken the endeavour to raise his child bilingually in English and Klingon; Speers spoke in Klingon and his wife in English.[3] A few years into his life, the child began rejecting Klingon and gravitating towards English, as he could use English with many more speakers. At the time of Speers' attempt, Klingon even lacked words for many objects common around the house, such as "table". The experiment ultimately failed when the child refused to use Klingon when he got older.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a situation where is totally appropriate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

last night i started reading about the pint as a unit of volume, and ended up on a list of incidents in which airplanes blew themselves up with their own bombs, with a totally logical progression of pages in between

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yes, but besides that

i don't think you understand the finns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

an englishman and a finn are sitting across from each other on a ferry in the north sea. there aren't many other people on board and it's a long, lonely ride. after a few minutes of silently sitting and looking out the window, the finn pulls out a bottle of vodka and gestures towards the englishman with it, nodding up towards ceiling. well there may be a language barrier but the englishman understands what that means, and smiles and nods. he follows the finn to the upper deck, where the finn produces two glasses and pours them each a drink.

they sit and drink the vodka, watching the waves go by in the darkness. the finn pours them each a second, and they lean back and stare in silence at the crystal-clear stars above. they finish the second and the finn pours a third. the englishman picks it up and raises it to the finn. "well, my new friend, this truly is a beautiful night."

the finn says "what, did we come up here to talk, or to drink?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

that didn't even make me laugh just angry i read all that for scuh a lovely punchline

sucker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Missiles and airplanes have pitot tubes, named after French inventor Henri Pitot. On December 5, 1973, Second Lieutenant James A. Bevacqua reported that all of the pitot tubes on the stabilizing fins of the Nike Hercules Missiles under his HM 69 command were contaminated by specs of white paint. These pencil-size hollow tubes measured air pressure, which in turn indicated altitude, and altitude determined when the missile was detonated. While on the ground, each pitot tube was protected by a cover which was removed every day for inspection. These covers were painted white. The process of removing and replacing these covers wore away the paint, which ended up as specs and small chips inside the pitot tube. Bevacqua’s recommendation that the pitot tube covers no longer be painted was approved by Brigadier General Hirsch, the 52nd ADA Brigade commander.

no, that is not taken out of context, that is the beginning and end of the story. just a little anecdote about an extremely boring thing that happened. kind of getting the feeling that 2lt (ret) james a bevacqua wrote it himself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no doubt but i'm thinking the story of how one 2nd lt discovered an old weird tip that the usaf didn't want him to know! qualifies as pretty worthless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pitot tubes are a good thing and it is good to not have them ice up or clog but that story is just so mindblowingly pointless

here is teh story simplified for easier understanding:

"pitot tubes are important parts of aircraft. an air force dude who worked with missiles at a specific base once noticed that the paint on the missiles' pitot tubes was getting rubbed off and clogging them. he reported this to his supervisor. his supervisor agreed that the tubes should no longer be painted. there were no dangerous incidents and nothing out of the ordinary happened at any time in the process."

who benefits from knowing that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vicas posted:

File:Anarcho-swastika.svg

man i'm not that into neonazis either but does this really belong with all the anuses

the german wikipedia might have submitted it i guess? it is illegal to portray swastikas there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i made a caesar salad for dinner last night and it was great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Carthag posted:

post the least salad thing you can find on youtube

watch only if you have an iron gut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i will admit to using a bottle of fancy organic caesar dressing cause i was too lazy last night to make that myself, but you better believe i used romaine lettuce and some curls of parmesan cheese shaved from a block and freshly cooked bacon and hardboiled eggs and pounded peppercorns

it was a really good salad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah that's just cooking better than a bachelor. head over to goons with spoons if you think that counts as pretentious and prepare to be blown away

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you know that troy had a whole 90 minute score written for it that got thrown out in the editing room cause for some reason they called james horner in to do the usual BRAAA BRAAA I"M A JAMES HORNER TURMPET thing? and the original score is actually really great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O007vSksRo

i assume i am pretty weird for liking movie score music but hey, it's where all the people who would have done poo poo like operas in the past go these days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Amethyst posted:

lol you have very poor taste

it is a "great" film but it's not a "good" film

like, definitely everyone who is interested in films on anything but the shallowest level should watch it and probably will appreciate it, but it isn't what i would use as an example of "a good film" if there were aliens making a human dictionary or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

9/11 happened on 9/11

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

luckily the fart intended for the fancy pillow was redirected in time and only impacted a non-critical area of the curtains

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhoCares

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Socracheese posted:

i just read ur posts and my borescope is off the charts

drat!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks more like a common brushtail possum to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deacon of Delicious posted:

yet another animal to put on the list of animals more clever than i am

i lived in china for a while and once we went to this cantonese place and the big deal was that they were serving squilla that day. some kind of mini lobster looking thing, or a big crayfish. it tasted pretty decent but i had never heard of a squilla so i looked it up that night and it turned out it was a mantis shrimp. mantis shrimp

- have the most complex eye in the entire animal kingdom, which has 10,000 sub facets and 16 different types of photoreceptor (humans have 2) and so can see infrared, ultraviolet, polarization of light and various colors that don't exist for humans, in a nearly 360 degree field
- incidentally its eyeball polarization filters are more efficient than anything humans have been able to manufacture, and function over a far wider bandwidth
- have claws that they can attack with so hard (10,000g acceleration) that it induces sonoluminescent cavitation in the water, causing dissolved oxygen to come out of solution in a microbubble which then collapses, generating temperatures of 7,000 degrees and a burst of light. they use this to stun nearby fish and crack aquarium glass to escape from captivity
- and then there's the damage they can cause with the razor sharp claw itself, which they have been observed swinging at passing fish, slicing them cleanly in half with one blow
- they also mate for life, which can be 20 or 30 years, and the husband and wife will take turns taking care of a clutch of eggs and defending the babies from other sea critters
- though it is a sea creature, it has been observed traveling on land by bending its body into a wheel shape and springing forwards, rolling from one tide pool to another

needless to say i felt like a real piece of poo poo for eating one of those